wifishkiller 01-Mar-11
Kawabunga 01-Mar-11
Chief 01-Mar-11
WapitiBob 01-Mar-11
TD 01-Mar-11
RJ Hunt 01-Mar-11
AndyJ 02-Mar-11
01-Mar-11
I just made some changes to my setup and am re-tuning. My paper tune is calling for raising my nocking point, but after a few shots, D-loops are practically welded on. So does anyone have any tricks to moving a D-loop?

Thanks, Andy

01-Mar-11
cut it off and tie a new one, if you try to slide it you might seperate the serving.

01-Mar-11
Or you could try lowering your rest instead of raising your D loop.

01-Mar-11
Can you adjust your rest instead-just move the rest up. easier than fooling with the loop

01-Mar-11
another option is you can turn the loop around the string and it acts like threads on a screw, you can take it up or down without hurting the serving.

01-Mar-11
Bingo miller1!

01-Mar-11
Thanks guys.

01-Mar-11
If your knot is as tight as it should be, turning it can separate the serving when it turns on the string with the knot. Not good.

If you can move the rest, that's the way to go.

If not, you're at the end of your rest travel or need to bring the nocking point back so the shaft aligns better with the burger(sp?) hole, etc. then you need to move it.

You can sometimes use a pick tool or an awl to carefully loosen the knots enough so you can "thread" them up and down, then use a needle nose pliers and using them inside the loop, open them up to re-tighten.

Or snip it off and retie and new loop.

Before you move it take note of the loop position and try to put it back in the same orientation. Many times the loop does the final small alignment for your peep.

01-Mar-11
I used a pick to loosen mine and then tightened it again with the neelde nose pliers - it worked great. Problem I have now is that the D loop rotates around the string. One shot it will line up to the rear, next it rotates toward the front, by 4 or 5 shots, it is on the other side of the arrow. How do you stop that?

01-Mar-11
Turn it around the string just like a screw.

01-Mar-11
Started using an awl last year, worked great.

Saw it done on a tuning video by GRIV, never thought they wouldve come off so easy.

01-Mar-11
Chief,

If it just keeps turning you probably don't have the loop tied correctly. The knots need to be opposing one another, as this will create a situation where each fights off the other so rotation will not occur.

TD, It is amazing, this archery thing, and all the different ways we agree, or don't agree, to fix problems. I like the idea of being able to fine tune with either rest or loop. It takes some good effort to turn my loops, but can be done without problems.

Sometimes I think we actually look for problems so we can attempt to fix em'!!!

01-Mar-11
Bullhound...I don't think your right, I know your right.

01-Mar-11
Bullhound +2

01-Mar-11
I've always spun mine around and I do it a lot when I'm tuning but I have had the serving seperate, just make sure the loop isn't directly on the string when you're done.

01-Mar-11
Bullhound, I knew that could happen when I tied it so I made sure that the knots were opposite when I did it. Any other ideas?

01-Mar-11
Use a fork if you need to loosen the loop knot. if you need to move it a lot, just tie a new one on, its not that difficult. If you only need to move it a cpl turns, hold the serving above the loop and just screw it up or down.

there is a relationship between the rest, nock, and grip position, that is unique to you. Don't just move the rest for chits and giggles.

01-Mar-11
Chief, if the knot is loose or retying/replacing the loop, wax the loop material good, work it in, then tighten with the pliers. The wax helps get the knot tighter. Should help it from moving. Also stiffens the loop a bit and IMO helps get a few more shots out of it too. I always wax mine when I wax the string. May not help, but I figure it can't hurt.

If your loop is tight it won't slip on you. In fact the loop will turn the string for fine tuning your peep if it's not a bungee corded one.

01-Mar-11
You also can raise or lower you nock point by adjusting your tiller. You may find also that your bow my hold a little better if you find a sweet spot for your set up.

02-Mar-11
I had maxed out my rest travel and had re-served my center serving yesterday so the d-loop had maybe 25 shots on it. Turning the d-loop like a nut worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help.

• Sitka Gear