pirogue 02-May-11
noroads 02-May-11
Bowfreak 02-May-11
Bowfreak 02-May-11
x-man 02-May-11
Bowfreak 02-May-11
x-man 02-May-11
01-May-11
I'm looking to get your opinions on these two arrows for those that have shot both. I have shot the FMJs but not the new nano carbon FMJs and I have no experience with the VAPs.

So what is your experience with them and which do you prefer? How's the penetration, durability compare?

I've read where the out-serts on the VAPs are prone to bending? Has anyone experienced this? Just looking to get some opinions of real world experience between the two arrows. Main use is for elk hunting.

Thanks

01-May-11
I was running after a deer last year in the snow and fell down. I didn't relies it then but I bent everyone of my FMJ. If I would of been elk hunting in the back country the hunt would of been over. I switched back to carbon arrows.

01-May-11
Not at all a fan of FMJs. I myself am planning on switching to vaps. Awesome penetration and excellent foc from these arrows.

02-May-11
The fact that the FMJs can bend is one of the reasons I'm looking at the VAPs even though I hunted with them last year and never actually bent an arrow. I also like the high FOC that can be achieved with the VAPs and if they penetrate like or even better than the FMJs that could be what I'm looking for. I have yet to find a comparison between the two so far.

Any one else have experience with both??

Thanks

02-May-11
I shoot vaps with the 43 grain penetrater point, evil penetration, and not to mention consistent spine, weight tolerance per dozen ,and excellent straightness tolerance. They get an A +

02-May-11
Check out the Harvest Time Archery's HT-1. There about the same as the VAP's but a little cheaper and from what I've heard, and HTA's quality control is top notch.

For those who are unfamiliar with HTA, they are a new company started by one of the former heads of Victory. The reviews I've heard so far are great and I'll definitely be trying the HT-1's the fall.

02-May-11
Harvest time doea make a good option. The victory is a lighter shaft so depebding on desired finished arrow weight one brand might be more desirable.

02-May-11
Sorry. Fat fingers.

02-May-11
I'm shooting VAP's for field and fita this summer, they seem a little light for hunting IMHO. They are MUCH skinnier than the FMJ's and thus a little more difficult to fletch. I have tiny fita vanes on mine, so that wasn't an issue, but anything 4" might be tricky.

Those inserts are plenty heavy, so I'd make sure to go up a spine if you're anywhere close to the center or left of the arrow chart.

02-May-11
Maybe I'm missing something in these posts above. This comparison is between two arrows. The FMJ is heavy and sought after for hunting. The other is considered too light for hunting???????

02-May-11
Thanks for the ideas guys. I gathered that there was a connection between Harvest Time and Victory but didn't know for sure.

I was figuring out total arrow weight for the VAPs and with the 300s it should put me just over 400gr. which is what I'm looking for in a hunting arrow. My FMJs were just over 470gr. If I can have a little flatter trajectory with better penetration and have it be more durable, then that would be the ticket for me.

02-May-11

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
I dont see how this is too light????

02-May-11

....and it is spined nearly perfect for my setup.

02-May-11
I should have clarified better. They are too light for "me" at my set up(400's at 26").

02-May-11
Point taken X-man. Actually Xman I think they are too light for short draws but they offer long draw people properly spined arrow and nice weights. The .300 VAPs weigh the same as a GT 75/95 and are .1 gpi> than a VForce 350. Running 125 gr. points gives excellent FOC for long draw archers (if one feels this matters) which is hard to attain with most .300 spine arrows.

Do you think that the Arizone EZ fletch mini would work well on VAPs?

02-May-11
I can't answer that, I only use Bitz jigs now. I gave my Jo Jan multi, my BPE's and my EZ's away. They were just not conducive to quality, repeatable production work(they are perfect for the home hobbyist). I have enough Bitz's now to keep fletching without waiting for glue to set, and I don't have to worry about the EZ arms not centering properly before the CA glue sets.

• Sitka Gear