ButteElkHunter 23-Jun-11
Dirtysteve 23-Jun-11
Dirtysteve 23-Jun-11
Rodie 27-Jun-11
Bill in MI 27-Jun-11
snellpastor 27-Jun-11
Outdoordan 27-Jun-11
15-May-11
I have a 2200 but it's only so so on the comfort and fairly heavy like a lot of Badland packs.

Thoughts on the X2 vs BL 2200?

Use- elk day trips (maybe one night bivy), otherwise all day whitetails.

Gear accessibility, comfort, adjustability, durability, water resistance?

Thx Bill in MI

15-May-11
"Use- elk day trips (maybe one night bivy), otherwise all day whitetails.

Gear accessibility, comfort, adjustability, durability, water resistance"

Our needs are about the same. The X2 is perfect for what you want. Don't even give it a second thought, I'd advise a friend the same. I've owned both packs and prefer the X2 by far. Get the newer model (2010 or newer)with the internal frame.

The X2 is a low profile pack and very strong. Easily strong enough to pack elk quarters/meat bags. The fabric and zippers are sturdy and waterproof. It's about as waterproof as a pack can be without a raincover. I'm 6'1" about 195 lbs or so and it fits fine.

Check out the Eberlestock website. You'll find a lengthy description with photos. They state the capacity at 1800 cubic inches but that is low. It is more realistically around 2000, maybe a bit more. I asked a design tech about it on the phone a couple years ago and he verified the 1800 figure is too low.

Good luck this fall,

Tim

16-May-11
I like the 2200 Pack, I have used it for several years, never really had an issue with comfort. Check out badlands sight, they have a video on the site that show the pack holding like 285 lbs before it breaks. It will carry more than you can handle and at the most you can get 3 days if packed right for a bivy hunt

16-May-11
I will have a short "features" video on the 2200 in the website sometime this evening. Go to www.hunthardcore.com. This is a new website that I am still trying to put together, however, I do have the store up. Use coupon code "bowsite" for 10% off anything in the store, plus, free shipping on everything over $150!

You can see a "features" video on the X2 here, or on the same website.

Bowsite Sponsor

16-May-11
Bill, before you pick one make sure you try both on with some weight in them, then adjust them. Your comfort issues might be due to it not fitting you correctly, your torso length might not fit one or both of them.

16-May-11
I have never been able to get the X2 to fit correctly, so for me I would choose the 2200.

16-May-11
I'm about 5'7" with a 32" waist. The 2200 just doesnt cinch up tight enough and seems tall. Don't know where I can try and X2 around here though...

Bill in MI

16-May-11
I have both the X2 and the 2200. The X2 is the better pack, but it is really a day pack. People do use them or overnighters, but you would have to be creative and go light. I have packed elk quarters with both and the X2 is a better meat packer. I'm 5'8" and about 180 and the X2 fits and fells better to me.

17-May-11
Bill, the X2 will fit you well. The new ones are not available yet. Give me a ring if you would like to talk about the X2. 208-720-3698

17-May-11
Bill, where are you from in MI, im from Sturgis and if you are anywhere close by i would let you try my X2 on, i have the 2010 model.

17-May-11
Outdoordan,

"Bill, the X2 will fit you well. The new ones are not available yet."

Did they change something again?

17-May-11
Maybe one of the best things about the X2 is it's adaptability/versatility. The variety of configurations really makes it a good hunter's pack. If (on a given day) you need more capacity, it's very easy to stuff some gear in an ultralight dry bag and attach it to the back or bottom of the X2.

17-May-11
midwest - from what I heard, they sold out of last years and the "new" ones will be incorporating their new camo options. I think realtree max-1 is going away.

17-May-11

miller1's embedded Photo
miller1's embedded Photo
heres mine packed for 3 days,i didnt have any lightweight gear so my pack with water weighed about 50lb but did very well.

17-May-11
miller1 that looks like some rough and tough country you are hunting there! How many miles did you hike with that set up? Just kidding with you that picture never gets old!

On a serious note how tall are you and what is your torso length for all in the .com world to get an idea?

17-May-11
Not sure exactly, i would say right around 20 miles, i am 6' and have a 20" torso.

17-May-11

Outdoordan's Link
Midwest, They changed the fabric, also a change to a new zipper, and, as previously stated. New camo's. The new camo's are pretty neat, you can see them, follow link to store. The fabric is NT-7. It is pretty bombproof stuff. If you scissor cut it, you still can't rip it.

bowsite sponsor

18-May-11
When will the new ones be available? Thanks

18-May-11
i would say badlands because of the warranty. my brother and the outfitter he works for love there 2200.

18-May-11
I think Eberlestock will cover you as well as badlands on the warrenty end of it.

18-May-11
They both have excellent warranties. The X2 was supposed to be available end of April, then middle of May, now 2nd week in June! Ugg. Unfortunately with most of my vendors are having overseas production problems!

I do believe that we will have them in mid-June.

Bowsite sponsor

18-May-11
Anything that is made by Eberlestock, they are awesome, i have one of their bags and i love it, i have used it in Iraq and Afghanistan, very durable and comfy

18-May-11
Anyone know why Eberlestock does not offer Max 1?

18-May-11
I've worn both the X-2 and the 2200 and much prefer the X-2. Admittedly the 2200 was an older model and they may have changed it. While it was good decent pack they are a hot pack, little to no ventilation in the back padding. Not any problem in late fall, but late summer early fall it could be IMO. It was a big problem when I wore it.

I only used them as day packs, never had any real weight, 20-30 lbs maybe packing out feral goats. The 2200 I wore a day (owner was selling it) the X-2 a couple. Picking between the two I'd pick up the X-2 every single time, a no brainer for me.

If I remember elknut had a 2200 and recently changed to the x-2?

20-May-11
Don't choose one because of the warranty.. Every reputable manufacturer has the same warranty as Badlands they just don't make as big a deal about it.

Personally I would choose the eberlestock over the badlands pack.

20-May-11
GameEarGabe - Realtree became too difficult to work with from what I heard. Maybe that translates as too expensive or unreliable but not sure.

20-May-11
Thanks guys, Going to order a X2 pack from Outdoor Dan when they come in!

Bill

20-May-11

Wolfkiss's embedded Photo
Wolfkiss's embedded Photo
Shame, the max 1 is a versatile camo, but not nearly as versatile as the X2. First decent hunting pack I have owned and very happy with it.

20-May-11
Thats a bas a@@ looking pic. Wish I could get the X2 in Max 1!!

20-May-11

Ron G's Link
I've owned the older style 2200 (model before the current one) and have the newer style X2 with the tube frame.

Both are good packs, but I sold my 2200 after buying the X2. The 2200 felt too constrictive to me and always seemed a pain to get into with the panel loading main compartment. It was usually easier to get into the main compartment from the back panel. The wing pockets on the older style 2200 were too small to be useful, imo.

The newer X2 could carry as much 'stuff' as my 2200, and seemed to carry it more comfortably as well. It is large enough to do some late season hunts with. I also like the fact that the back panel is vented. Since getting the X2 I've sold my Diablo and 2200. The X2 is a good enough pack to replace both of those packs.

I've also attached a link to a 'pack matrix' I've done comparing several different hunting packs.

Ron

20-May-11

Ron G's embedded Photo
Ron G's embedded Photo
Here is a picture of me during a January AZ archery deer hunt with my X2...

Ron

21-May-11
keep the pics coming guys, there awsome.

21-May-11

Outdoordan's embedded Photo

Outdoordan's Link
My buddy bought some packs from me for his guides. This is a picture of a cat hunter, his son, and his guide travis. Pretty neat pic.

21-May-11

Outdoordan's Link
My 2010 buck.

21-May-11
Please let us know when the new ones come in, Dan. The X2 is in my equipment budget this year. :-)

21-May-11

Outdoordan's Link
OK Nick, and here is one last picture of my first 2010 buck in the pack. I obviously didn't want to spend much time posing it in the pack but here it is anyway!

23-May-11
How about the X2 vs the X1? Picking the right pack is torture!!

Gabe

24-May-11
I've had both the X1 and the X2. I sold the X1... X1 doesn't have a frame, and the only thing I was using the scabbard for was hauling a tripod. X2 handles a load better and is more functional, imo...

24-May-11
Thanks Ron G

24-May-11
You can add a side scabbard to the X2 but the X1 is nice as well. Both have strong points.

26-May-11
Outdoordan, do you happen to know which model side scabbard Travis has on his X2?

Thanks, Andy.

26-May-11
The ALS1 as I remember. This is the shotgun scabbard which we decided would fit his carbine better.

26-May-11
I have the bigger tactical scabbard in ranger green just bought from Dan. It appears it will work great, I would prefer the smaller model for my use. So if any one has the smaller one and would like to trade I would. Mine has never been used out of the house.

23-Jun-11
So have the new and improved X2's come out yet? I can't find an X2 anywhere to even check out.

23-Jun-11
I bought the X2 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it. This is the only picture I have of it in action. 2010 buck

23-Jun-11

Dirtysteve's Link
Ok didn't work. How do I post a pic from photobucket?

27-Jun-11
Eberlestock all day long, better warranty and the owner is Abigail time Elk hunter, so he should have a very good idea on what you may need

27-Jun-11
Any updates Dan???

27-Jun-11
I've had both. While I prefer the layout of the eberlestock better, the overall fit and load-lifter adjustments on the badlands wins out for me.

27-Jun-11

Outdoordan's Link
The middle of July is the word. I wish I could speed things up myself as I have a lot of customers that want them! But, they are stuck in transport.

If you would like an X2 we give bowsiters a discount. Just contact me via PM for a discount code.

• Sitka Gear