WapitiBob 10-Aug-11
Mac 10-Aug-11
Z Barebow 11-Aug-11
Bigfoot 11-Aug-11
LostNwoods 11-Aug-11
r-man 12-Aug-11
huntingbob 12-Aug-11
10-Aug-11
My wife and I recently got a new high efficiency washing machine. The sales guy was very specific about which soaps to use and how much - not following those directions could damage the machine (so we were told and read). Now I want to do my hunting clothing and am not sure how much to put in. In a regular machine, one capful does a full load (Scent Shield for eg.). Does anyone know if you can use these soaps in the new high eff. machines? How much should you use? I looked at the Scent Shield website and couldn't find any mention of this. Hope someone here has some info.

10-Aug-11

CAS_HNTR's Link
I purchased some soap a few years ago that was high efficiency rated...see link. It worked well as far as I could tell.

I usually wash it the first time with the soap and use baking soda after that for the rest of season unless I get my clothes really dirty. When I use baking soda I just dump 1/2 cup or so in with the clothes before I start the machine. Tis also seems to work just fine.

Regarding how much "regular" soap....I would say cut it in half would be a safe bet as the high efficiency uses less water, thus less soap is needed to have the same concentration. Do a test load and see how it works out...then go from there.

10-Aug-11
Big Foot i know where you are coming from. We just moved into our dream home and i was pissed off to say the let we had to leave behind out old washer and dyer (part of the sale). Well low and behold the wife wants one of those new top end machines and yes you are correct the sales guy said only use a special kind and i am in the same boat.

Hopefully others will chime in too.

10-Aug-11
I have the same problem with our washing machine. I go to the laundromat to wash my hunting clothes.

10-Aug-11
i would put dry baking soda in with the load and don't use any soap, or just go to the laundry mat.

10-Aug-11
I am just guessing that they are full of crap. The soap is probably fine. Not sure I am willing to bet a $800 washer on it though. When in doubt....use less.

10-Aug-11
I just use about a 1/4 of what they recommend....washed all of my hunting clothes several times in our HE machine and no issues at all.

10-Aug-11
I have the high dollar machines.

I use the amount specified on the scent soap container. It's been working just fine for years in my washer.

10-Aug-11

Mac's embedded Photo
Mac's embedded Photo
just look for scent eliminating laundry detergents that have the "He" logo on the bottle --- and don't use too much

11-Aug-11

Z Barebow's Link
I use the stuff in the link.. Like Mac says, look for the He logo. (This stuff has the logo, just cannot see it in the link photo.)

I wasn't pleased when I found out the detergent limitations either. I suspect it is a marketing gimic, but cannot afford to take the risk!

11-Aug-11
For everyones information - I decided to call Robinson Labs (Scent Shield) to see what they would say. They said that have had no independent testing done with the high efficiency machines, but have used their detergents in them without an issue. Normal directions are 1/4 cup per load, but with the H.E. machines, one capful should be enough. Thought everyone might be interested to know what they said.

11-Aug-11
Good Info thanks!

BIGFOOT so what are you going to do?

12-Aug-11
i wash all hunt clothes in bucket with bakeing soda and dishwasher soap, scent free no hint of the washing machine, and air dry outside, then in ziplock. oh dont let your wives near them, u dont want to smell pretty to the deer.

12-Aug-11
I got one of those washing machines and I use about half the amount and no sudsing in the machine so I'll stay with that.

• Sitka Gear