kota-man 07-Aug-12
300 Win Mag 10-Aug-12
Shaft2Long 11-Aug-12
Shaft2Long 14-Aug-12
norcalblacktail 14-Aug-12
Shaft2Long 15-Aug-12
E 18-Feb-18
26-Jul-12
My friend and I stopped by KUIU to pick up our packs on Friday before a weekend early season bowhunt/scouting trip here in Northern California. The gracious and ever so helpful customer service ladies allowed us to bring our gear in and load our packs up before we headed out. I had probably 20-25 lbs in my pack including water and food for 3 days. My buddy had slightly more as he had the spotting scope and tripod. The grin on his face when he put it on was something I won't forget. He has a Misery Ranch 6500 that he said he would never sell but after putting the Icon on he asked me how much I thought he could get for it since I had just sold mine. To say this is the most comfortable pack I have ever worn is an understatement. When you tighten the load lifters it makes the pack feel one with your body. They flex the frame so it transfers the weight to your hips. That 25 lbs now felt like nothing at all. I know 25lbs isn't much but for a pack to make the weight feel as if it isn't there means the load lifters are designed correctly. Many packs don't have this crucial feature designed right.

Here's my initial thoughts.

- The new lumbar pad is perfect size and very tacky so it stays put in your back. There is no slippage when loaded down with weight.

- The memory foam in the shoulder straps and waist belt is much more cushioning than the previous material and the waist belt now goes smaller to fit those with a 32 waist (it tightens down to probably a 29 waist).

- The new velcro adjustable shoulder straps are genius and so easy to adjust it amazing. It is now adjustable for those with a shorter torso length. I'm 5'9" and there is still another 1" in adjustment down.

- There are many small details that were added such as the small web keepers on every loose strap and hydration tube holder on the shoulder strap.

- The internal organizational pockets are larger and fit much more.

- The four way zip side pockets are brilliant and will come in very handy.

- The waist belt pockets are a huge improvement over the stretch mesh and are just what I had hoped for.

- The frame is slightly thicker and beefier making it not flex under heavy weight. I loaded it up with 90 lbs when I got home and it was still the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

- The new Duraflex hardware is sweet.

- It is easy to put into load sling mode and makes the pack capable of carrying a boned out buck no problem.

- The outer center pocket is larger than the Gen 1 and it will comfortably fit my sleeping bag, pad, down jacket, and extra merino. My buddy fit his spotting scope and tripod in it.

- You can also now look uphill without the back of your head hitting the pack.

Now I know some guys and other pack manufacturers say you can't use carbon fiber in a frame and it won't work blah blah blah.... Well I say BS...Jason has and it is an absolute homerun. If that train of thought existed everywhere we would still be in the stone age. The innovative thinking that Jason and KUIU uses is something you need in today's world of below average products that flood the market. The first gen had its issues and KUIU fixed them with this one. I don't know of any other pack company that listens to its customers' requests as well as KUIU does, implements them and has them ready for the next hunting season. Am I mad that Jason came out with a new pack so soon after buying the Gen 1 Icon? Not at all, it is still a great pack and I sold it to someone who is very happy with it. In my opinion this new pack makes the other heavy packs on the market obsolete. The way it organizes your gear, carries a load and adjusts so fast to the user is astonishing. For those that are on the fence about buying one, don't be. This pack is the best hunting pack I have ever worn and I really can't believe it is just the 2nd gen of a new company because it blows away the competition that has been around forever. I have to take my hat off to Jason and the crew because they continue to push the envelope and develop gear that we can rely on when mountain hunting.

Here are a few pics from the weekend. The hunt was a typical early season hunt here in CA. 105* with ticks and mosquitoes. We saw 10 bucks but getting within range proved to be very hard with the dry grass and many eyes. It was a good trip overall though. Cant complain when you get to chase Blacktails in July. One cool thing I learned was that I can range out to 2200 yards with the new EL Range binocs as long as the target is reflective. (green leaves)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow Up Post

Just got back from a quick 3 miler with 100 lbs in the pack. I put a 50lb salt bag in the main compartment, a 35 lb weight in the load sling, and a 10 and 5 lb in the top lid. Here are my thoughts...

- The pack did not move from my waist. It stayed put like its supposed to and did not move down my hips at all. The lumbar pad sticks comfortably in your lower back and doesn't move. This was the biggest question mark for me and it exceeded my expectations.

- The frame does not flex like the Gen 1 when loaded down with a lot of weight. It feels solid like an external tubular frame.

- The way the frame arches and has minimal attachments gives you a lot ventilation on your back keeping it cool.

- The pack did not squeak at all. I mean completely silent. The way the pack attaches to the waist belt has been simplified with a pouch that the frame slides into and then has a flap that goes over it and velcros to the other side.

- I had no hot spots or pressure points and actually felt great after the hike. My shoulders/traps felt good. There was no digging in at all. Once you figure out how you like your shoulder straps it is very comfy.

I'm smiling because I have never had 100lbs feel this good. :D

Photobucket

Photobucket

26-Jul-12
Dude! 100lbs with 5 Finger slippers? You are gnarly and must have really strong arches. If that were me I'd be anticipating a plantar fasciitis flare up and a trip to the foot doc!

26-Jul-12
Good review! The pack is very nice!

26-Jul-12
what is the weight of the pack?

26-Jul-12
The frame alone is 3 lbs.

The 5000 bag is 3 lbs 3 oz

So 6 lbs 3 oz total for the Icon 5000. The 7000 weighs 3 oz more.

27-Jul-12
Got mine at noon today! Promptly put about 60 lbs. in it and made a few trips around the yard.

I am putting this up against my Kifaru UL 3700 with Side Pockets and Pod.

Aside from the total cu being similar to these two packs, they are very different.

For a lighter load and general backpacking the Kifaru is tough to beat weighing in under 3 lbs but with a 60 lb. load there is no comparison, the KUIU is WAY more comfortable.

Debating which to take on a Mountain Goat hunt next month and both have their advantages. Not swayed one way or the other at this point. Time will tell...

27-Jul-12
I will add...I would LOVE to see a comparison between this KUIU Icon 5000 and a Kifaru Timberline. Those two packs seem very similar.

29-Jul-12
I think you would have compare the Duplex Timberline to be apples to apples. I belive aron aka elkreaper has played with both. Glad you are liking the improvements and it has cool factor for sure!

29-Jul-12
Did a 5 mile hike with 60 lbs. on Friday night in some hilly terrain. The lumbar pad wore a little hotspot in my lower back also. I too am thinking that this won't be an issue with hunting clothes as I too was wearing a thin underarmour shirt with thin shorts and the temp was 85. But, I definately still have a "tender" spot on my lower back today.

Tonight I am going with a 30 lb. load with my bow attached and see how it works out. Tomorrow night, I am going to take the same load in the Kifaru.

Still undecided on which pack will go with me Goat hunting in three weeks.

I love the versatility of the KUIU. Love the pockets and bow holder.

The Kifaru on the other hand is Ultra Light and with loads up to 40 lbs., you don't even know it is on your back. Loads over 50 with the Kifaru start to dig in to my shoulders...I believe this happens for a couple reasons: 1. - The straps could use a little more padding. (The 5200 straps would be perfect) and 2. - The stays are a hair short for me. Would do much better with 26 inch stays, but this isn't an option with the 3700.

Will post my results in a couple days...

30-Jul-12
Guys, keep the comments coming as I am very interested. I have an Eberlestock Blue Widow and love it for day hunt - strap my bow to it and go. But heavy loads and it is hard on me. I love the MR for heavy loads but it's 10lbs to start. So I've been Internet studying the Kuiu and Kifaru packs. A new pack will be a next yr purchase as its too late to buy one now for early sept hunt. Thx again and keep the info coming.

Darrell

31-Jul-12
Great review norcalblacktail. best of luck this season!

Happy hunting, Yrovikle

06-Aug-12
If anyone wants one of these, pm me...Mine is for sale. It went on exactly 2 hikes. More pack than I need.

06-Aug-12
done

06-Aug-12
Kota-man PM Sent

07-Aug-12
Thanks guys, mine sold.

10-Aug-12
Anybody else have one for sale??

11-Aug-12
Looks like you could easily use this as a day pack as well. It doesn't look that bulky in the pic with the 100 pound load. I like that.

Any info on whether this pack can be adjusted to fit a guy with a 20.75" torso? When the first version of this pack came out I emailed twice about this question and got no response.

14-Aug-12
Must be a very well kept secret.

14-Aug-12
I use it as a day pack all the time. No need for 2 packs anymore.

It should fit you. My friend is 6'3" and it fits him. How tall are you? I know torsos vary but unless you are over 6'10" I think you should be good.

15-Aug-12
Thanks, I'm only 5'11 to 6 depends on who measures I had my wife measure torso and we got 21.5. Had REI do it to confirm and they got 21.75.

18-Feb-18

E's Link
That was fun

• Sitka Gear