cjgregory 09-May-13
cjgregory 09-May-13
cjgregory 09-May-13
MT in MO 09-May-13
Joey Ward 09-May-13
SteveCOontheroad 09-May-13
elkhunter-ny 09-May-13
06-May-13
I just tried to get some ammo for sighting in a new scope on my old deer rifle and found you can not find any ammo available period, tried cheaper that dirt and midway and no 308, 303 British, or 22 long rifle for plinking. how is it in your area ?

06-May-13
Same here. 30-06 is in decent supply but handgun, 308, 223 and rimfire are nonexistent. Seems like folks are still in hoarding mode.

06-May-13
The shelves are empty in Mass. People are buying it as fast as it come in to the gun shops. People are hoarding it.

06-May-13
Everyone is saying the government is buying so we cant !

06-May-13
We are our own problem here. The manufacturers and running full bore. When you hear folks say that they bought all the store had when they were there that's where it's going. People that used to buy one brick are now buting a couple thousand. Personally about 4 and a half years ago I started buying ammo and round light bulbs.

06-May-13
Stores are getting damn very little supply. And manufacturers have none to meet increased demand from the public because Obama is buying it.

06-May-13
I bought 500 rnds of 7.62x51 this last week end. Gun show.

The largest margin for price gouging, believe it or not was .22LR.

Stupid.

06-May-13
Local Wally Mart has hunting calibers 30-06 308, 243, 7 mag , 270 etc in fair amts. .22's and pistol calibers (9mm , 40, 380 etc) are non existant. I think you got a lot of hoarders out there. I did check gunbroker and you can find alot of ammo there but be prepared to pay for it. 80 bucks for a brick of 22's Not from this lad.

06-May-13
a 15+% real unemployment rate will cause people to do whatever it takes to make money...

06-May-13
Two years before any of this started I bought at least a little bit of ammo every month. You just have to be diciplined about it. It's easy to not think about it when the shelves are full of ammo. I will wait until the market is saturated and I can find some good deals again.

06-May-13
Two years before any of this started I bought at least a little bit of ammo every month. You just have to be diciplined about it. It's easy to not think about it when the shelves are full of ammo. I will wait until the market is saturated and I can find some good deals again.

06-May-13
We gave up around here. Stocked up on all that is available...which is just slugs and buckshot. Back to the muzzleloaders I guess. I don't expect we'll see anything until this administration is gone....If then.

06-May-13
"Two years before any of this started I bought at least a little bit of ammo every month. You just have to be diciplined about it. It's easy to not think about it when the shelves are full of ammo. I will wait until the market is saturated and I can find some good deals again."

Great idea, CJ. Dollar cost averaging is a smart way to increase your supplies at the best price. And to virtually guarantee a net profit when you want to unload some of it.

06-May-13
Funny how every shop and walmart manager I talk to says they are not getting it in except in very limited supplies and all have said 22 has not come in in months, but it's a hoarding issue? How can we hoard if the stores never get it? Something is going on, ammo manufactures are at full throttle but the supply is not making it to the stores? Where is it going?

06-May-13
"Where is it going? "

It's all that shooting that Obama's been doing up at Camp David.

True dat!

I've seen photos!

06-May-13
"How can we hoard if the stores never get it? Something is going on, ammo manufactures are at full throttle but the supply is not making it to the stores? Where is it going?"

Kieth,

When I go to Walmart in Brighton I check. I talked to the manager and they do get it in. Here is the deal.... There are three or four retired guys that are there as soon as a shipment comes in. The manager knows for a fact that one guy he knows has well over 10,000 .22LR just from him working the counter.

HOARDERS!!!! Most of these guy have no intention of selling any of it for any price. They are retired and will die and thier kids will probably sell it in a garage sale.

06-May-13
Hum HLS 1.6 billion rounds and buying more. 3.5 million guns sold in the last year. And all the hoarders. Any wonder you can't get ammo? It's kinda funny that 22,223,308,40,45 are nonexisiting. Wouldn't the ammo manufactures make more of these??

06-May-13
CJ, the 4 walmarts in metro area I went to (and 2 in another town) all said they get in ammo daily, but instead of cases they get 1 or 2 boxes of most stuff and yes it's gone, but they are enforcing the 3 box a day max purchase. They also tell me they are only getting about 10-15% of the ammo they used to get, and NO 22LR! I have also been to many other sporting goods stores and they all say about the same thing, not gettin any and when they do it's not much and gone in an hour.

06-May-13
You think its bad now wait and see how bad it gets if Hillary becomes president...

06-May-13
For the last three years our handgun permit system has been overloaded with new people applying for a permit. I figure that this increase in gun ownership has also created more ammo buyers. At some point, the demand will taper off and production will catch up, maybe in six or seven years.

06-May-13
Word on the street is that the NRA is buying it up for fireworks display every few minutes at their big POW-WOW that is going on !

If some gets shot , they're just going to blame it on the non - existant Muslins there !

06-May-13
"big POW-WOW that is going on !"

The NRA Annual Meetings were adjourned yesterday, Carp.

"If some gets shot , they're just going to blame it on the non - existant Muslins there !"

Well, gentlemen, we have just been supplied with the DPW. (Dumbest Post of the Week) Congrats, Carpshooter.

06-May-13
Carpshooter is obviously not a fan of firearms. Too bad, the NRA convention in Houston was, simply put, badass. Well done as one would expect and virtually anybody that is anybody was there with a booth.

Old Carp may be suffering from a "gemini" moment. Common to those that are aflicted with the right birthday. His horoscope for today said."dont be a dumbass". He did not listen.

Poor old dude that is left to shooting nothing but Carp. Hang in there Carp better times ahead.

06-May-13
Cloyde,

Why do you buy ammo in Brighton? Don't they sell any in Brush? I have an attorney friend in Brush.

06-May-13
I listened to Ted Cruz's speech..That was priceless, especially about Biden and the shotguns.

07-May-13

Bluetick's Link
For those who thought there was some sinister plot to arm DHS for a street fight with Americans, the explanation for the mega purchase was far more simple. Barry's minions were simply trying to starve us out by creating a scarcity.

Aaron Klein had Senator James Inhofe on his show this weekend. Inhofe says that there is a plot all right, and he plans to stop it.

By the way, this is not some hysterical moron like Schumer, Waters, Feinstein et al. This is a US Senator possessed of a reasonable intelligence.

07-May-13
Well, if they can't get your guns they will take away the ammo buy shutting off the supply!

07-May-13
This sorta exposes the recent Gun Bill for the lie it was, doesn't it?

Government buying up ammunition supplies does not simply keep ammo away from mental patients and criminals. The government obviously wants to restrict ammo supplies for sane, law abiding gun owners as well.

And make no mistake, this was the idea all along. Eventual registration and confiscation too.

07-May-13
From Bighorn:

"Cloyde, Why do you buy ammo in Brighton? Don't they sell any in Brush? I have an attorney friend in Brush."

LOL Well BIGHORN, My father, whos name also happens to be Cloyde lives in Brush. I'm his first born and I live 22 miles east of Brighton and 17 miles north of Bennett. He has enough reloading supplies to last him the rest of his life and then some. He still loads for that M1 Garand. I don't know if he still shoots CMP or not.

08-May-13
the ammo shortage is completly driven by mass hysteria. The ammo makers and reatilers I have talked to say it should all be back to normal by 2014.

A lot of poeple who are complaining about it need to look in the mirror while they wait in line to buy three boxes.

This should be a lesson for everyone....you need a stockpile of every form of ammo you shoot. Both target and premium versions of each.

08-May-13
I STILL would not rule out the plans for the DHS. I don't trust ANYTHING this administartion says OR does!

09-May-13
I just traveled up thru BC on the way to SE Alaska ... I stopped at a couple guns shops in BC ... their shelves were overflowing with ammo and they said they have no problem getting any.

The Walmart, Tongass hardware in Ketchikan has plenty and out here on Prince of Wales Island the gun store in Craig's shelves are full of whatever you want.

09-May-13

KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
KS Flatlander's embedded Photo

09-May-13
given the times, if you are an ammo manufacturer or even a wholesaler in this case, why restock store shelves with ammo?

any high volume manufacturer wants their product to be sold before it comes off the line.

the shortage of ammo on store shelves will continue indefintely. the public has created a market for the ammo manufacturers that they could not create on their own.

09-May-13
In February, I couldn't buy reloading supplies anywhere. I had to monitor online auctions hourly just to get some cases and powder to start the new hobby. That has improved now in my area, although some shops still won't sell primers unless you buy the same amount of bullets (which, incidentally, they rarely have what I want). But the businesses that I have asked are saying that the shortage should be done around August.

09-May-13
"Spike, I agree but no one needs 1000's of rounds for that!"

For most that is true Hammer. I shoot around 3000-5000 rnds of 5.56 a year alone. It depends on what shoots and training I do to stay abreast.

Even though I am not in law enforcement I'm still required to wear full assault gear just to train. Fortunately I already have all my gear.

I prefer a 45acp but I'm down to around 900 rnds now so I switched from my Para to my baretta 92 as I have plenty of 9s. If I can't reload 45acp I'm screwed. I have a couple of buckets of brass, ready to go.

09-May-13
"On top of that I still say pistol ammo is kinda useless unless in close quarters so having 1000's of rounds for 99 percent of people is kinda useless."

If you are down to a pistol its desperate. I agree with you. The chances of getting in a gunfight is pretty rare as it is.

A good rifle is the ticket. If you have a 308 (7.62x51) even better. You can break down the links from a machine gun belt in a pinch.

09-May-13
I did see something impressive last week.

A guy had a Winchester model 42. It's a .410 pump shotgun. He was shooting rifled slugs from it and was very very good. Kinda scary in a way. Soft lead slugs over 500 grains are formidable projectiles.

Ammo is abundant and cheap.

09-May-13
I think part of the problem with the people who are standing in front of the stores waiting for them to open is that they are fearfull of potential new laws that have been bandied about that deal with taxing and limiting ammo purchases. There are several democrats in various parts of gov't that have talked about 1,000% sales taxes, limiting quanities that you can legally have in your possesion, requiring special licensing etc etc with regard to buying ammo.

There are lots of people who apparently take these comments and wishes of these anti-gun people to heart and think they are only protecting themselves from potential future costs and limitations.

There are a boat load of people who do not trust the gov't (very American if you look at history, regardless of who is in office) and think they (the gov't) will and can do whatever they want, particularly when they hear both the VP and Prez talk about executive orders and such. When the Prez and the VP are out there saying things about taking actions that circumvent congress (EO's), it pretty much tells the people they will have no recourse, no say in the matter.

Then you add the news reports about the large ammo purchases by DHS and other departments with little or no explanation and you end up with a large segment of the population wondering what the hell is going on?

09-May-13
Yeah, many internet forums can be like a wave pool.

LOL :-)

09-May-13
I wish every gun owner fired hundreds of rounds per YEAR let alone thousands... maybe they'd find out it's fun, not just for self defense or hunting but actual recreation the whole family can enjoy..

09-May-13
The local Wal-mart has guys waiting at the door an hour before opening to buy their 3 boxes of .22lr for $10 a box and 3 hours later they are listing them for $35 a box on Tradio(a local radio sell and trade show).

• Sitka Gear