carcus 11-Nov-13
Quest Hunter 12-Nov-13
JGG 12-Nov-13
TJS 13-Nov-13
PineLander 17-Nov-13
Buffalo1 17-Nov-13
beckerbulldog 20-Nov-13
10-Nov-13
I'm going to look into a new bow next year. I've only had one bow (Mathews DXT). I bought that as a friend advised me on it when I was new into the hunting world and I took his advice. I realize now I should be considering many different things when looking for a new bow. What do you all look for when buying a new bow? Do archery shops usually let you shoot the bow in their range before buying? Any new bows coming out that would be worth waiting for? When is the best time to buy a bow, do the new models come out in fall or spring? Sorry for so many questions, looking for any advice. Thank you!

10-Nov-13
Well, I'll go first. Look at and shoot all the different bows that you are able to. Two or three will stand out in your mind as being the best. Then pick your favorite after shooting them some more. Sounds easy doesn't it ? Only you can make the final choice.

10-Nov-13
Totally agree with Drycreek!

10-Nov-13
I would take a close look at Elite's line, the Energy looks like a pretty sweet setup. They are easy to shoot, and after shooting all of the competition last year I went with an Answer. Just my two cents

11-Nov-13
welp, I researched for 3 months last year before I even touched a bow I was considering. ended up narrowing down to mathews or hoyt. went down to the greatest archery shop in the world (deer creek archery, chico CA), and shot them side by side over and over for about an hour. ended up with the hoyt, and am totally happy with it, and its a huge change after shooting bear. not sure what level your at, or how much you want to spend, but there's good bows at mid range prices. I ended up going top end because hunting or not I friggen love archery. I guess what i'm trying to say... is take your time and make sure the bow is what you want, and fits your needs.

11-Nov-13
Yes, pro shops do allow you to feel, fondle, and shoot bows -- if they won't or don't shop elsewhere.

Having said that I'd suggest you buy the best bow for your situation and based o. The following:

Does it fit you. Does it fit your budget. Match your intended use - hunting, target (shooting dots) or 3D.

11-Nov-13
In addition, I always take a non-archer hunting buddy when I go to a shop to shoot new bows. Unbiased NOISE evaluation is worth ALOT!

11-Nov-13
First step is to figure out your price range. Next step is to go to a pro shop that deals in several different brands of bows and shoot one of each that falls into your price range. I work at a proshop from time to time and Ive shot Hoyt, Mathews, Mission, Bear, and Elite. I'm currently shooting an Elite pulse and I love it.

11-Nov-13
shoot a bunch - whichever one you feel most confident in and most accurate. I would put an emphasis on "most foregiving" and "easiest to tune and hold tune", and less emphasis on speed. All new modern compounds far exceed speeds that were deemed impossibly 15 years ago. Depending on the bow you buy - be prepared to immediatly put a better quality string on it as well, in fact, probably best to walk out of the shop with the best string you can get, it will pay dividends down the road...

11-Nov-13
If your the type that like changing up bows every year or few years look at bows with rotating mods, this way they fit everyone's draw length and are easy to re-sell. If you choose elite there are a pile for sale on archerytalk, elites are nice but do not have rotating mods, and IMO there are much nicer bows available(I've owned 4 elites)

12-Nov-13
Carcus I would like to know the names of those much nicer bows, I have owned them all and can't name any that come close. Name another bow company that transfers their lifetime warrenty, plus they have the hunt garantee. Their shootability and ease of draw can't be beat either. VT Bowhunter do yourself a favor and shoot the Energy 35 and compare it with all the rest.

12-Nov-13
Hey Carcus, don't forget Elite's get out of poaching free card!

13-Nov-13
What you should consider includes length of bow and brace height. Longer bows tend to be more accurate. Longer brace height does the same.

Companies use different times of year.

As you've noticed, many varied opinions, but know that quality matters. Go to a good bowshop. I suggest you go when they are not busy.

Good luck & have fun.

I've had good luck buying used from ArcheryTalk classified after lots of research. (I did give my local bowshop a chance.)

17-Nov-13
I'm new to compounds, as I have probably just recently killed my last deer with a recurve because of minor but frustrating shoulder problems. So, take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but it might be somewhat related to your search for a new bow.

I shot some new bows at my local pro shop - Bowtech Experience, Insanity, and Assassin. Mathews Creed, Helim, and MR5. PSE EVO, Revenge, and DNA.

I did not like the shorter axle-axle length bows. For me, they seemed a bit more difficult to hold steady on target compared to the longer ones. I did not like the extreme or hard cam bows, too harsh of a roll-over hump for me. In general, the higher-braced bows seemed a bit more quieter shooting than the lower-braced ones.

As it turned out, there was a used 2012 PSE Vendetta DC for sale (50-60#). Of all the bows I had tried out at the shop, the Vendetta definitely had the smoothest draw/roll-over. I can pull to anchor with a smooth UN-interrupted draw. I can shoot it very consistently, very easily. Maybe because it has a rather high brace height (7-3/8"), or a conservative axle-to-axle length of 34", or both.

Either way, it just seems to be a "forgiving" bow for a newbie like me. It is such a pleasure to shoot, I'm thinking about ordering a set of 40-50# limbs for indoor target shooting.

Although, I am already eye-balling a Strother Moxie (37" length, 7.5 brace). I've heard they are very smooth drawing with a concrete back wall like no other. But I wonder about the 'binary cam' system (no yoke), when tuning out a bit of cam lean??

Speed/energy rating did not play a part in my decision. Since I was easily killing big white-tailed deer with 40-50# recurves, the energy imparted by ANY of the new compound bows is more than sufficient in that category.

The Vendetta has a 320 IBO rating (255 at my 50#/28" w/380 gr arrow), so I don't understand where an additional 20 fps from a faster bow would be much of an advantage. They all seem to be 'overkill' for hunting white-tailed deer.

17-Nov-13
This is a great time to pick up a deal on a 2013 bow. Kind of like cars- 2013 on lot are still new cars and cheaper than 2014. Most dealers are wanting to get rid of 2013 models ASAP.

For example several of the local bow shops in the state are selling 2013 Elite Answers for $650-725 range. They were originaly selling for about $900. Those are some great deals if a person is in the market for that particular brand and model bow. The same is true for other brands and models of bows.

The bow that feels the best in your had and feels comfortable to you is the best bow for you. The ultimate decision is yours.

20-Nov-13
I bought a 2013 Elite Hunter after shooting a bunch of others. I like the high let-off as I get older. But like everyone else has said before me, get into a pro-shop and shoot all of them. I bought mine from Minnesota archery in Litchfield, I'll put them against any other shop, anywhere! Matt and Jeremy ROCK!!

• Sitka Gear