Bill in MI 27-Jan-08
CPAhunter 27-Jan-08
bullwhacker 27-Jan-08
playin' hookey 27-Jan-08
OT Man 27-Jan-08
fuzzy 28-Jan-08
Deerman1 28-Jan-08
27-Jan-08
harder on your digestive system or rather create more gas than domestic meat. I just made another post about preparing your own game. But after having dinner last night, my wife complained of,,,,, well, gas problems - which seems to be the norm after a meal of venison. Does anyone know why?

27-Jan-08
There are MANY ways to make your wild game taste as good (or better) than the meat in the local grocery store. Overcooking meat will compromise its flavor (in my opinion). The use of a good marinate is exceptionally helpful.....and the experimenting (with or without libation) is quite enjoyable.

27-Jan-08
The last line of my previous post didn't show up....don't know why.....I haven't noticed additional gas with my wild game entrees. The fact that I haven't had gas problems(and it sounds like you have), might imply that the preparation process has something to do with it (or we just have differing digestive systems). Do you use a marinate?

27-Jan-08
Todd,

Please tell your wife that venison- elk especially - makes me fart like the dickens too. My sympathies go out to her.

It doesn't seem to have the same effect on my own spouse, however. I usually eat a lot of veggies with my critters, whereas my wife is pretty much a carnisaur, and that probably contributes to my post-venison flatulance a wee-tad-bit as well. I figure being able to fart consistantly is a healthy thing, so I haven't worried about it, so I duuno...maybe add some Beano to your marinade?

(BTW-Medicineman, not to be picky, but I believe "marinate" can only be used as verb, whereas "marinade" can be used as both verb and noun.)

27-Jan-08
it's not a problem so long as she wears a scent-lok suit to the dinner table when you have company over.

27-Jan-08
Todd, there are many ways to cook venison, but in general I find that because of its lower fat content, I am less likely to feel full or bloated after eating venison than beef. The difference is most apparent when the cooking method doesn't add a lot of grease, as with frying. Venison, when used in stews, pot roast, chili, meat loaf, or grilled after marinating, can be great. And if you like wine with meals, a dry red such as merlot, cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, or shiraz can really go great with most venison dishes. Get a wild game cook book and read up on it -- a good one is "Dressing and Cooking Wild Game" which is sold at Barnes & Noble and on Amazon. I find processing, cooking, and especially eating wild game to be almost as enjoyable as hunting it. My wife and kids like it too.

Two general tips: Before cooking, carefully trim off as much of the "silverskin" as you can. And, if you grill it, cook it only to medium (140-145 degrees using a meat thermometer). If you don't like some pink in your meat, choose a cooking method other than grilling.

27-Jan-08
it could be the size of your portions... try cutting them down by a third, and see what happens. you're getting a far richer meat, without the bulk that's part of modern beef, and that could be making your wife's system go nuts.

you could also try acidophilus(sp?) supplements. those tend to knock me right back in line when i get a bit gassey.

i don't always take them, if only because we practice chemical warfare at the shop.... toxic a$$ attacks are a common thing.

27-Jan-08
Wow, that's a new one.

What other items did she consume with the meal?

27-Jan-08
Thanks for the help. Don't get me wrong, we both love it. Wild game tends to make up about 60 percent of our diet. BUT, it does tend to cause, the hmm, hmm, chemical warfare as dsuursoo called it. I was just curious as to why, because it should be a healthier alternative to grocery store stuff, right? My wife also claims that vegetables and other high quality foods do seem to cause gas. It doesn't bother me when Im with the guys, but when you and your wife are curlin up together,,,, and,,,,, well you know.

27-Jan-08
Strictly with regard to production of flatulence, starches increase amount of gas produced and both meat and fat make it stinkier. I have not found that venison is any different from other meats in this regard, and I would say that if there is a difference its lower fat content tends to minimize the nastiness of any associated farts. I think that method of preparation or food eaten with the venison explains your, ahem, results.

27-Jan-08
The marinate is what usually gets me. I have not had a problem once the animal has hung for awhile but have had issues with fresh kill.

27-Jan-08
Don't question such a precious gift! And don't try to minimize them, either! A good fart can bring joy to any occasion, lighten any mood, and provide an evening full of laughter.

Ever lit one? Don't do it while wearing the fleese pajamas. Those things (the PJ's) can ignite pretty quickly. Best to do it bare butted. And if possible, don't use matches or small lighters. Those long charcoal lighters work best for making sure you don't get any mess on your hands in case you have a little accident.

27-Jan-08
ROTFLMAO

You sure can tell when hunting season has "passed" us by eh?

Bill in MI

27-Jan-08
My wife claims that breathing air gives me gas.

I have no clue why I just posted this statement.

27-Jan-08
Works on dogs, too. Our neighbor has a potlicker that doesn't mind and won't leave us alone. They let him in the house and act like he is their prize possession. This fall I was trimming up a cow elk I shot and I fed that damn dog a bunch of scraps and then sent him home. I hope they had a wonderful evening with old Fido. Wonder if he slept in bed with them that night?

27-Jan-08
OTMan, POTW! That's seeing the forest instead of the trees.

27-Jan-08
I guess you can tell we have some entertaining evenings in the cabin.

I'm lactose intolerant, and anything with milk will have me farting like an ox. The results are LOUD and BAD. Occassionally I'll treat my hunting partners to a half gallon of buttermilk or chocolate milk.

We got some video of us putting flame to fart. I'd post it, but don't know how well it would go over with the moderators. It was all fun and games until I hit bottom and trashed my overalls.

28-Jan-08
LOL

28-Jan-08
It's amazing what a guy can learn here.

;-)

• Sitka Gear