Nick Piazza 02-Jan-09
Nick Piazza 02-Jan-09
Toadelker 03-Jan-09
Standman 04-Jan-09
Bill in MI 04-Jan-09
Elkhunter 04-Jan-09
monsterbucks 04-Jan-09
25-Dec-08
I am wondering what products are available to help reduce or minimize mouth odor. I really hate to cut out my morning coffee but would like to know of any products out there that are proven to be effective. I have used gumoflage in the past but it does not seem to work well and dries out rapidly. bowyer

25-Dec-08
Gargle with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide before hitting the woods. After that then you can use E3 or whatever that stuff is that kills your breath odor with chlorophyll. I've used that stuff on more than hunting after eating stinky stuff and it really knocks out odors well. It has a little bit of a strange taste but its not that bad and it works too.

25-Dec-08
Keep your mouth shut. LOL. Seriously, are deer afraid of the smell of coffee? Hunt the wind. Your breath won't matter. They'll smell your body first.

25-Dec-08
I like to chew green apple gum, I don't know how well it really works but I've a problem with dry mouth from some crappy medicine I have to take. Just a thought.

25-Dec-08

wannabe's Link
Don't know how well it works but I've seen it advertised.

25-Dec-08
I have found rinsing with cold miller lite works fantastic :) Actually that is only after the hunt is finished!!!

25-Dec-08
Seriously, don't eat meat less than 48 hours before you plan to hunt. Eating meat produces carnivor enzymes in your stomach that instinctively scares most animals. If I go for a week's hunt, I stick with the veggies, grain, and other non meat products.

25-Dec-08
I slice Granny Smith apples and suck and chew pieces most of the day. They are great. I also use apple scent as a cover and I rarely have any tags left hunting four states each season.

25-Dec-08
of all the personal and professional issues associated with a person having bad breath i would say impact on hunting would be the last item on the list of meaningful concerns

26-Dec-08
On more than a few occasions, I've been close enough to deer and elk to reach out and touch them. I've never done anything to mask my breath and I drink coffee every single morning of the hunt. Believe it or not, I've never used a scent product while hunting, unless you count rubbing pine or cedar needles on my clothes from time to time when the wind isn't just right.

Scent products will never be as important or as effective as good huting skills and using your brain.

26-Dec-08
I believe odors emanating from the mouth are the No.1 source of odor deer pick is up on. The amount of warm moist air released from your mouth to a deer is like a mini scented cloud with every breath it floats on the air and depending on the wind speed settles near your stand. Haven't you seen a deer wet it's nose and sniff the brush and leaves directly down wind of you, that's not body odor if you've taken most precautions as likely you didn't walk thru that area but the area of mouth condensation settling. Now if they stick there nose directly in the air and look toward you your picked on both body and mouth odor. MO

26-Dec-08
I have a friend with Halitosis....... He was told by his doctor to eat PLAIN WHITE YOGURT. The enzymes in the yogurt destroy the bacteria???? Well it really works!! He had breathe that could knock you over at 6 feet and now you can carry on a conversation without having to take a few steps back.

26-Dec-08
I agree you 100% GBTG. I take great precautions with my clothes and footwear, play the wind, and still get nailed by those ever alert does. I too believe the breath gets us caught before other body odors.

26-Dec-08
Plain yogurt works well. I have no scientific proof, but I carry alfalfa pills from the health store in my pocket and always have one in my mouth while hunting. They are not for everyone as they do not taste like candy, but it is something I have always done and is now a tradition for me.

Good luck,

ckc

26-Dec-08
Brushing your teeth and tongue as well as flossing are essential to minimize mouth odor.

Food odors can get into our blood and be transferred through our lungs and skin. Foods, like onions and garlic, are good examples of this.

I would not be surprised if all food do this; it's just easier for our weak noses to detect the strong smells like garlic.

Halitosis can also be a sign of periodontal disease. Antibiotics, in addition to the above hygiene, may be required.

26-Dec-08
Gulchman -- I would think that we carry those enzymes all the time.

I have killed close to 100 whitetails I have never stopped eating meat. Heck I cant tell you how many times I have killed deer while eating beef/deer jerky.

Not saying your wrong but I would think that we always carry those enzymes.

26-Dec-08
I like to use apples. Chew up good before the hunt instead of a burger. Makes a good snack when the stomach starts growling, toss the core into a trail it will stop em dead.

26-Dec-08
I don't use any of the scent elination clothing but I do believe the most valuable piece of such clothing system would be the hood and mouth cover. Before next season I want to develop a comfortable mask that will have baking soda encapsulated in the material to capture and neutralize my breath condensate. I do brush with baking soda and gargle with hydrogen peroxide before most hunts.

26-Dec-08

bigriver's Link

26-Dec-08
Breathe thru your nose.

Still the animal has to be downwind of you to smell your breath, but in that case he already has your body scent so you're busted anyway.

26-Dec-08
I'm no scientist but I get amused at the amount of $$$ spent on so-called scent-loc clothing and the amount of discussion it generates--- when we all emit a constant stream of odor which is MANY times more voluminous and concentrated than body odor just by breathing.

Kinda like wrapping clothes around a factory building but leaving the smokestack uncovered....

Just play the wind as part of how you hunt IMO.

26-Dec-08
gargle with tinks 69.

26-Dec-08
We used a product called Smootchie, it's a disposable carbon mask we had good results with it.

26-Dec-08
Like Woody, I chew in the tree. I've spit on a doe's head playing with them to see what they would do, and had them eat my wad of RedMan after I was done with it of course. lol

My many years of bow hunting I have seen deer, both bucks and does act like they were deaf, and had no nose. I would think what in the world is wrong with that deer! Maybe there WAS something wrong, mother nature is not always perfect.

Just always hunt the wind, Key-Mo-Saw-B.

26-Dec-08
Stay away from the wife/girlfriend on the night before the hunt!

26-Dec-08
Woody, what did you use to cover up the bad breath?Lol

26-Dec-08
hi carry a apple or 2 also chew some kind of gum also where a face mask scent-lok apple or some kind of lolly pop be sure to take out of mouth if u have to SHOOT!!!!!

26-Dec-08
If I was looking to date one I'd watch my breath. But sticking one with a sharp stick? Naw, don't have to get that close. Ever smelled their breath? Not good. Besides my problem lately hasn't been with CO2. More of a CH4 problem now a days. Hunt the wind.

I worry much more about it dear hunting than deer hunting.

26-Dec-08
SILVERSCENT! SILVERSCENTPRODUCTS.com!!!!!

30-Dec-08
carbon lined face mask Contain makes the ones I use,very effective

30-Dec-08
this is ridiculous discussion

30-Dec-08
Brush your teeth (you won't get cavities) and keep the wind in your face.

30-Dec-08
http://www.toothpasteworld.com/history.htm

02-Jan-09
does hemp lure in the bucks? my friend told me that. i am thinking about bringing the bowl with me next time to hunt....

02-Jan-09
Nick, I highly doubt that you smoke hemp. Hemp is the fiber of Cannabis sativa, that's not what you smoke.

02-Jan-09
Im not an idiot, I was talking about smoking pot. The stuff that gets you high.... One day i smoked a bowl in my tree stand and after an hour 10 deer came out about 50 yards away. I waited for the deer to get alto closer and got a nice shot off at a doe and killed it.

02-Jan-09
Piton, do you know what sativa and indica actually means? They get hemp from the male plants bec they do not produce thc.

03-Jan-09
Nick, I don't think that you are an idiot. You are a complete moron.

04-Jan-09
Toadelker, I couldn't agree more.

04-Jan-09
C'mon he's from IL and very well adjusted that's all....lol Bill

04-Jan-09
I think his hemp lure had a little something extra in it!

04-Jan-09

monsterbucks's Link
There is a web site that addresses the mouth odor problem for hunters. It is www.cheap-dental-advice.com. The guy is very into scent control for your mouth. He thinks professional hunters follow very strict scent free rules. I am not sure they all do, but I have had better success in the past three years since I have tried to be scent free. Of course, still play the wind, but many times it can shift... I don't call being concerned with your scent hype, when you consider that a buck's nose is his #1 defense. If you are out to shoot a doe or a small buck, yes, you can chew tobacco and smell like coffee in the field, but I put my bet on big bucks not being tolerant of these scents. They don't get big checking out these "curiousity" scents like a doe will.

• Sitka Gear