big ter 05-Jan-11
big ter 10-Jan-11
Dick4bows 10-Jan-11
big ter 10-Jan-11
LKH 10-Jan-11
Zbone 11-Jan-11
Zbone 11-Jan-11
04-Jan-11
Been marinating my Deer jerky in the fridge for 2 days. Time to smoke it soon. What tempreature and how many hours do you recommend? Temp is probably more important, I will be checking it to see when it is done and so it does not dry out too much. I want to smoke it and not COOK it. I have one of those small smokers that hooks up to a BBQ grill Propane cylinder, so I can regulate the heat fairly well. Mmmmmm Mmmmmmm I can smell it already!

04-Jan-11
150 to 170 is great. No higher than 180. The thickness of the meat will dictate the amount of time. I grind mine and use a jerky shooter. It usually takes about 5 hrs. It will be much longer with sliced meat. Good luck!

04-Jan-11
Ditto on Muzzymeat's suggestions. I use a jerky shooter, and there is a big difference between the flat strips, round "meat whistles" and sliced whole strips.

IMO, the best way is to do it in a dehydrator until almost done, then finish in the smoker for 2 hours.

Second-best way is to begin in an oven at 170, then finish in the smoker. I've had problems getting it right when doing smoker-only, because opening to test it periodically sets the process back, but for how long? Nothing worse than wasting a batch of jerky that gets too dried-out.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

04-Jan-11
The best way I have found is to cold smoke (only smoke no heat) for for 1.5-2 hours, then dehydrate until done. I dehydrate at 155 degrees and time depends on the size of cut like above. Typically 5-7 hours in the dehydrator. By cold smoking you get a powerful smoke flavor.

05-Jan-11
I second what Jaquomo said. I make hundreds of pounds of jerky each year for folks I process game for and I always start the jerky in the dehydrator for 4 hours or so and then finish in the smoker for 2 hours at low heat.

I have found that if the jerky spends too much time in the smoker, it ends up with an overpowering bitter smoke flavor that most people don't care for.

You want the temperature in a dehydrator, oven, or smoker to max at 160-170 degrees.

05-Jan-11
I do not have a dehydrator, only a smoker. Thanks for the replies so far.

05-Jan-11
Smoker, 1/4" thick, 140 degrees, 7 1/2 hours.

10-Jan-11
The manual had a suggestion of 1/4" thick, 140 degrees for 12 hours. The author evidently runs a crematory as well. INSINERATED!!

10-Jan-11
Your jerky will keep better if you achieve 150 degrees. Pasturization is important. I use 180 degrees till the jerky is chewy. Remember that the jerky will be very soft when still hot. Dick

10-Jan-11
About how long would that take? I like mine a little tough - but not leather.

10-Jan-11
Jerky does not need heat. You can make it completely cold smoked or dehydrated at low temps. Drying and salt is what keeps it.

The 155 is the minimum temp for sausage if you intend to eat it without further cooking.

11-Jan-11

11-Jan-11
yeah, what do they call it over in africa - biltongue or spmething like that? it"s air dried with the sun. inuits air dry fish too don't they?

• Sitka Gear