Eric Barnett 07-Jul-11
BB 07-Jul-11
MF 08-Jul-11
Bow Crazy 08-Jul-11
Bow Crazy 08-Jul-11
bohuntr 08-Jul-11
buglemaster 08-Jul-11
19-Jun-11
Ever since I was a young lad, I have always been drawn toward old homesteads. When my dad first took me hunting we always ate lunch in an old log cabin that was just about to fall down and has many years ago.

But I was always too busy hunting to take anytime out or even take the time to get my camera out. But I have made myself a promise to photo all the old structures I now see while hunting or on the way or return.

I am sure to many this sounds dumb, but certainly there are others out there that have a similar feeling. Some must wonder, like I do, about who lived there and some of the history of the people who built and stayed in these homes and you must question what finally happened to make them leave.

So with that thought in mind, I want this thread to be a long running thread, dedicated to all those with that same interest, but even more importantly, to those who built, lived, and died during "THEIR" existence.

So next time you see an old homestead, please take the time, to take out your camera and take a few shots and share on this thread, for those of us who share this interest affliction.

I will add a couple of the photos I have taken and will add a few more down the line. Please share yours. Thanks and looking forward to your photos.

Some of you might know or have seen this cabin if you have ever been in the Bookcliffs. It is located just past the end of the road, at the bottom of Railroad Canyon. I know that fellow Bowsiter PAV has seen this, as he hunted that area last year for elk.

Photobucket Photobucket

And perhaps a few of you might know where this one is located. If you think you know, tell us.

Photobucket

Have a great bowhunt. BB

19-Jun-11

MooseJohnson's embedded Photo
Here's a couple pics from our family deer camp in the western upper peninsula. My dad and uncle bought this farm in 2003 and we are only the second family to own the property since in was deeded from the State of Michigan in the 1850's. The lady we bought it from was born in the old house behind my brother.

The first picture is looking east from my deer blind to the old horse barn. The house and old orchard are approx. 150 yards to the south, which can been seen behind my brother and his buck. It's the nicest buck we've taken so far off the farm and and shot it the second day from my post. There's just nowhere I'd rather be.

19-Jun-11

Here's the old horse barn

19-Jun-11

DLBurns's embedded Photo
DLBurns's embedded Photo
Here is the old cabin, or what's left of it at our elk camp in Colorado.

19-Jun-11
i love to explore the old farmsteads and it always amazes me how hard the farmers worked to make a living.

19-Jun-11

aspen bulls's embedded Photo
I too love old cabins and structures. I have a ton of pictures that I will have to look through but for now these pictures are on a ranch here in AZ that is abandoned from inhabitants. One up close and the second from farther away also showing a small outbuilding that looks like a shed.

19-Jun-11

Here is the second from farther away.

19-Jun-11

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Here's and old "market hunter" Homestead in Alaska, we used it as a base camp for my Dall Sheep hunt. Had to clean it up a bit as a bear had been using it! Story I was told was the guy that built it was a remarkable hunter, taking Moose, Sheep, Caribou and Bear. Selling it and they would ship it down to Seatle and San Francisco by rail. He lived alone until he was in his sixties, then he got ill and walked to Fairbanks on winter. A doctor nursed him back to health and he gave the Doctor the cabin for payment. He lived the remained of his years in Fairbanks.

19-Jun-11
if only those old buildings could tell their story.great thread and pics

19-Jun-11
Love the old homesteads too.. One can only imagine the excitement that probably went through the first occupants of all the hope and promises it held for them.. Then it's hard to imagine what it was that caused them to make the decision to finally walk away.

Talk about bittersweet.

19-Jun-11
It thrills me to see that so many others have an interest in these old buildings. They are the model T's of today’s housing and their intrigue is captivating.

Here’s another photo I took just last week. Through the years I don't know how many times I passed this building without every stopping to take its photo. I promise that's not going to happen as much as it used to. If I have any time at all, or if I am forced to make some time, then I promise to do way better than I did in the past.

It thrills me to see that so many others have an interest in these old buildings. They are the model T's of today’s housing and their intrigue is captivating.

Here’s another photo I took just last week. Photobucket

This one is located just west of the Crawford Mountains, in Rich County Utah.

If anyone knows any history about it, please let us know.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

19-Jun-11

Medicine Bow's embedded Photo
Medicine Bow's embedded Photo
I think old homesteads are so neat. Here's a pic of one outside or Rand, Colorado. I photograph this old structure regularly. Something about this old place attracts me to it. There is an old miners shack up the hill behind our Wyo. home I should photograph.

Bogenschütze, that sounds like my old stopming grounds near the Stafford/Fauquier county lines.

My cousin owns some property outside Fredericksbug, Va. that was a Union soldier camp during the winter of 1862. I used to hunt it and found where the soldiers had camped. Sadly there aren't any structures remaining.

I have some really neat places in Wyo. I still need to photograph.

20-Jun-11
Here's an old cabin I know a bit about that's up in Idaho where I used to bear hunt. I have actually spent more than one year of my life in that cabin and my son has logged a great many nights too.

The cabin was built in the early 30's by a group of cattlemen and used as a place to stay while they grazed their cattle on the forest. About 1980 their lease expired and the government put out orders to burn the cabin down. But after long talks, they finally came to an agreement, that if the government would leave the cabin in place, the cattlemen would allow its use to anyone, with the exception of the time frame on which they grazed their cattle on their leases.

So its now used by the cattlemen during the summer, and the general public can use it on a first come first served basis.

Like mentioned, I have spent well over 1 full year of my life in that cabin. Its a great place and very dear to my heart.

Photobucket

Have a great bowhunt BB

20-Jun-11

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo

20-Jun-11

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo

20-Jun-11

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo

20-Jun-11

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo

20-Jun-11

CPAhunter's embedded Photo
CPAhunter's embedded Photo
BB

Here is the farmhouse that I bought recently. 40 acres that was homesteaded by my great-grandparents. We are in the process of fixing up the place, I estimate it is about 100 years old.

20-Jun-11
The materials and construction styles is what fascinates me.

20-Jun-11
Even back in those days some still wanted a good view.

Photobucket

Have a great bowhunt. BB

20-Jun-11
BB that view reminds me of my Grandfathers cabin, he lived on Palasade Lake just west of the Tetons, he was the caretaker for the boatlaunch there. My finest summers were staying there fishing and exploring, will have to dig a pic up.

20-Jun-11

Earl E Nove...mber's embedded Photo
Not near as picturesque,, but it still has it's charm.. Girls are my two favorite granddaughters tagging along on a spring turkey hunt..

House is just two rooms, the part to the left is built with old square nails, the part in back of the girls uses round..

House sets in a major wildlife hub, I have shot deer and turkey while setting next to it.

20-Jun-11

This adds a bit of perspective to teh old place.

20-Jun-11
Going to have to go through my pics. We came across a place in Colorado along a trail near Woods Lake campground. Near as we could tell it may have been a trappers cabin. Located pretty high up along 2 creeks. We stepped it off to measure 8' x 12'. Also did some digging around and came across a board we figured to be the doorway frame member. It had a date scribed on it, pretty weathered and worn but when tilted right to the ssun we were able to read 1813. Pretty cool.

20-Jun-11
Awesome thread! Always wonder about old places and wish I could watch a movie of how it was back when it was being used by whomever built it. Some great photos guys. Wish I had some to contribute.

20-Jun-11

WindLaker's embedded Photo
WindLaker's embedded Photo
Here is a place North of Belle Fourche, SD. You can't see it from this picture, but we think a tornado went thru. You can see the path it took. It also took out another farm off in the distance.

WindLaker

20-Jun-11

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
I love pics like these... every time I see one, either from the road or out on the mountain, I say to myself.. "that was someone's pride and joy right there". Good stuff!

Colorado 08'...

20-Jun-11

BigWave's embedded Photo
BigWave's embedded Photo
Heres a really cool pic that my dad took on a trip a while back. This is from the old mining town of Bodie, Ca.

21-Jun-11
BigWave, that is cool. Your Dad did a great job on that photo. And a big thanks to all you guys who have contributed to this thread. I hope it will stimulate a few of you to take some photos of these old homesteads as your travel around and or on your hunting trips.

This is an old Wyoming cabin in the Jackson Hole area. Can you imagine what those people went through, in the winter, in that country?

Photobucket

Have a great bowhunt. BB

21-Jun-11

Shiras's embedded Photo
Shiras's embedded Photo
Here is our family homestead. My dad (born in '47) is the youngest of 7 and he was born in this house and lived there for a few years until grandpa died and they moved to town.

THE DOWSE SOD HOUSE - Earth has reclaimed most of the sod houses which once made Custer County the "sod house capital of the world," yet the Dowse Sod house, built at the tail-end of the sod house era, stands as one of the few' remaining original and furnished sod houses in Nebraska.

William Ryan Dowse, son of the first white family to settle in Custer County, constructed this sod house in 1900 for his bride-to-be, Florence E. Murphy. Heavy earth matted by bluestem grass was plowed when the ground was moist, preventing crumbling of the soil. The plowed soil was laid out in long strips, then cut into brick-size pieces 30" long, 4 to 5" deep.- Sod bricks were laid grass-side down on' he rising wall and the tops planed level. The root system held the sod together. Dirt "shavings" were packed into crevasses of the newly-built rows. The thick walls insulated the home from temperature extremes, being 2 1/2' deep. Although the windows appear very narrow from the outside, inside the walls fan away to permit maximum entrance of light without loss of insulation or structural support. Across the completed walls Dowse laid two-by-fours. Muslin was stretched beneath the ceiling: boards and fastened by carpet tacks. This formed the ceiling for the original rooms and was not replaced until about 1915. Twice yearly Florence took the muslin ceiling down for washing. Most sod houses were roofed by laying sod over building paper-covered boards. Dowse used cedar shingles which- still protect the interior. He later thrust the sod exterior walls with cement, which account for it still standing after it was abandoned as a dwelling in the 1950's.

21-Jun-11
BB, that's a 2 story log cabin and hand done. Very rare and great that you have to love of the model "t"s. I wish I would have taken the time in my life to take the picuters of the old cabins I've stumbled on backin the woods when we had the fly out outposts.

07-Jul-11

passing... thru's embedded Photo
passing... thru's embedded Photo
eastern Colorado

07-Jul-11
Those photo's are all wonderful..I love the weathered look of the old logs.

07-Jul-11

Shadow Man's embedded Photo
I had the honor of hunting on Ron Spomer's family homestead near Kaylor, South Dakota last fall. The creek was loaded with wood ducks thanks to a series of beaver ponds. I also saw some nice whitetails but missed my chance on the big 4x4.

Oh, Ron has hosted "Winchester Revolutions" and a few other TV shows in addition to being a feature writer, rifle and travel columnist in many outdoor magazines for the past 50 years. He's planted a lot of trees on this property, dug a pond with an island for nesting geese, etc. It's a wildlife mecca in the middle of a heavily farmed region.

When we were kids, we used to sleep on mattresses on the floor of the abandoned home and "camp out." We'd listen to the mice chewing on the old wood and talk about hunting, fishing and trapping. Big dreams and adventures back then!

Shadow Man

07-Jul-11

07-Jul-11

07-Jul-11

07-Jul-11

swp's embedded Photo
swp's embedded Photo

07-Jul-11

swp's embedded Photo
swp's embedded Photo

07-Jul-11

Eric Barnett's embedded Photo
North Dakota

07-Jul-11

07-Jul-11

07-Jul-11

1 more from N. Dakota

07-Jul-11

I found another! I don't remember N. or S. Dakota??

07-Jul-11
Funny you would bring this thread up today, as I went out of my way, to take photos of these three homesteads, this very day!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Have a great bowhunt. BB

08-Jul-11
Another great thread and pics by the man!:) I like to look at the way the logs are notched.

08-Jul-11

Bow Crazy's embedded Photo
Wisconsin. Machine shed from the late 1800's or early 1900's. This land has been in our family for over 100 years.

When my sons take a turkey on this property I always take this type of photo of them walking out.

Great thread! I love old buildings as well.

BC

08-Jul-11

Wisconsin. Another one of both the kids walking out with a turkey on another homestead. Granary from the same time period as above. This building will some day be our cabin. I plan on moving it closer to the woods. This piece has been in the family for over 125 years.

Good Times!

BC

08-Jul-11

bohuntr's embedded Photo
bohuntr's embedded Photo
Cool idea for a thread Bill! Awesome pictures everyone. This is an old trappers cabin in Northern Saskatchewan.

08-Jul-11
This is great stuff right here! Over the years, I've came across some great old cabins.Wish I had taken a few pics now.Hopefully, I'll be able to elk hunt the property we did last year as there are some neet old structures on it.The landowner passed away this spring, but his nephews now have it. He told us his parents lived on the homestead when there were still indians around.

• Sitka Gear