thesquid 19-Jul-08
JTV 19-Jul-08
buckhntr162 19-Jul-08
Fulldraw 19-Jul-08
Scooter 19-Jul-08
Two Feathers 20-Jul-08
thesquid 20-Jul-08
18-Jul-08
I lease land in SC and earlier this year a lot of corn was planted around my hunting areas. I was all excited about a cornfield..until I just realized..I don't how and when deer "use" the corn and cornfeild. I know they eat it but when? After it is cut? Once the cobbs grow in? What time of year? Any help from people that know corn would be great!!

thanks Scooter

18-Jul-08
They'll hit it hard by the time the season opens. You can walk the edge and see where they have destoyed sections. They'll bed in it all day also. Find a spot where they are tearing it up and set a stand on the edge of the woods. I have had much better luck in the evenings hunting corn edges than in the mornings. Seems like they are already in the woods by the time I can shoot in the mornings.

18-Jul-08
I have read some people still-hunt corn on windy days. How do you do it? Do you walk into the wind, or cross? Are the deer bedded up on the down wind side? How far in from the edge, or anyplace in the crop?

18-Jul-08
In SC the season (bow and gun) opens August 15th. I have seen where in the field they have "torn up the ground" (it's not my land so I'll stay off) but the are MAJOR crossings (about 4) going in and out of the cornfield.

18-Jul-08
Wait till a very windy day to stalk thru the corn. Go crossways row by row. Look down each row as far as possible, then cross into the next row and do it again. Let the wind work for you by masking your sounds and scent....The windier(20+mph) the better. Make a pattern then do it all over again till you cover the field and go Slow...."Bowhunting October WhiteTails" DVD/Video has a bit on this and it is a must have for all deer hunters....its a classic by the Wenzel brothers and Bidelspacher and Rick Blase. There are two volumes.....Jeff

18-Jul-08
HuntinHabit is dead on Scooter. They're already in the corn because they bed there. I see deer come out of corn fields 2 or 3 miles from the nearest timber. Don't forget late season! It can be the best when those old bucks are weary and run down from the rut. Gotta eat to live. Steer clear of the corn in the morning or you'll bump deer on the edge. If you can find a stand of white oaks close to that corn field in October set up downwind right in the middle between the two. Look for runny deer CRAP and you're there. Good luck.

18-Jul-08
Cornfields make some of the best "edges" for traveling, especially bucks.

You actually want to hunt an edge with the wind blowing from the woods to the field edge. They feel real secure travelling the edge, since dange typically comes from the woods. If they sense a problem, the'll duck in the corn.

When I rattle I like to setup on cornfield edges for these very same reasons.

I've also set up in the cornfield on the ground and hunted an ajoining alfalfa field. I had a yearling buck 3 yards from me and he couldn't see me standing in the corn.

19-Jul-08
JTV is right on. I would like to add a couple tips. Make sure to lean head first into the row. that way if there is a deer close they dont see ur bow/ gun in the row before u see them. if the deer is feeding to u back up 2 rows and wait. if they are bedded or moving away back up 2 rows and parralel the deer to close the distance. wind direction is verry important in cornfield hunting. They will tolerate a little noise and some movement. Feeding deer make a lot of noise and often can be spotted by the movement of the stalk they are feeding on. Wearing a lighter color cammo pattern in top helps a lot. Durring the rut bucks often bed with hot does in the corn. Im from Iowa and hunt a lot of standing corn. Hope some of this helps and good luck!

19-Jul-08
If you have a intersection of the woods where they come in and out of the woods thats ur best bet.Does love corn and where ther is does ther is a biggy.you should let it sit till about mid october not sure when the farmer is taking it off but it would be a nice spot than.I hunt alot of corn in ohio it is our most promising set up.Where ever the corn is thats where the stands go. goooooood luck.

19-Jul-08
Scooter, sorry if I hijacked this thread. I've wanted some good hunting in the corn tips and forgot until I saw your post.

I have hunted woods near corn a lot and like they said, deer do quite a bit of damage and it's easy to see where they travel in and out.

19-Jul-08
hans & jtv said it -- corn fields are a blast. Take it slow and row by row only sticking your head into the next row - I shot one once that was in the very next row, much to close but you have to take them if and when. Good luck, you'll enjoy this {use the wind - a windy day covers your sound}

19-Jul-08
Before I started using stands(20+ years ago), I used to(and still enjoy) the cornfields. If I deem it to windy for a stand sit....I'll head to a corn field if I can( I wont waste a day sitting it out)...I've taken a hand full of deer this way....you'd be surprised whats in that corn....LOL...Sometimes ya need a break from the tree's and it can be a blast !!!.....Jeff

19-Jul-08

buckhntr162's embedded Photo
buckhntr162's embedded Photo
I have had some awsome close encounters actually hunting in the corn, find a wash out area from rain or the irrigator paths and set 2 -3 rows back off the opening bring a little stool like a double bull chair or something similar make a temporary blind. It is tuff to figure out the wind cuz you really don't have a idea of where they are coming from but with a little scouting you can improve your odds.

19-Jul-08
Tou "woods" just got biiger. I have a ton of corn fields where I hunt here in Kansas. There are two different land owners, side by side. One alternates corn and beans every other year, and one plants corn every year...300 acres total. On the year that both plant corn I see quite a few more mature deer, as they draw deer in from the pastures and they pretty much stay in the corn......if there is water near by.

Set a stand HIGH next to a corn field, and glass the entire field before it is cut, you will see them walking around or just seee the stalks moving. Heck a lot of times I locate them by hearing them crunch on the corn.

I adds a lot, and makes for a fun hunt.

19-Jul-08
Thanks for all the great advice..I hope to put it to good use

Scooter

20-Jul-08
As a food source the deer will hit eat the corn soon after the plants germinate and sprout. As the plant gets bigger they lay off it and prefer something else. Later when the ears of corn have tassels they will start feeding on them again. Even after the field is harvested they will look for left overs.

On extrememly windy days after the leaves have dried out and hang down I seek out corn fields to still hunt. The wind rattles the leaves and stalks and it is possible to get in close to the deer.

Deer will use the corn effectively for cover especially if the woods are getting pressured.

20-Jul-08
Once the corn gets about shoulded high they'll live in it. It's cool in there and they don't seem to love heat. Just for fun, on a hot day walk in a corn field and see the difference, fewer sketters too. If this corn is standing during your gun season get down on your belly and very slowly check out each row - -you'll get a deer. Oh, you'll see more than deer in the corn, watch out for the black cat with white strips, they like it too.

• Sitka Gear