Caribou 07-Oct-10
Rex Featherlin 07-Oct-10
The Rooster 09-Oct-10
Bill in MI 10-Oct-10
The Rooster 11-Oct-10
travis@work 11-Oct-10
travis@work 11-Oct-10
06-Oct-10
My local Rural King has sweet feed for livestock on sale. I'm not sure what "sweet feed" is, but from a quick google search it appears to be oats, corn, barley, salt and other minerals, bound together with molasses. Do you think this "sweet feed" will work as an effective deer bait? I usually use corn but wondered if that might work also.

06-Oct-10
Yea deer love it and they can smell it from a mile away it has a strong aroma and will build up fat on the deer fast.

06-Oct-10
just be careful...make sure you put it out w/ a clear forecast. if it rains and gets wet, it grows mold and fungus...deer won't touch it. other than that, excellent bait.

06-Oct-10

boakes0604's embedded Photo
boakes0604's embedded Photo
i had great pics off of sweet feed, and silent1 is 100% correct, rain will destroy it

06-Oct-10
I got a deer this morning so I won't get a chance to use it... Thanks for the input guys, I'll have to try it next year.

07-Oct-10
I have spin feeders for corn, and put out cattle troughs and built sheds over top of them to protect from rain and snow and feed sweet feed out of those free choice.

07-Oct-10
Congrats Rooster. let's see some pics!

07-Oct-10

The Rooster's embedded Photo
If you promise not to make fun...

07-Oct-10

07-Oct-10
The deer wouldnt touch it in NY. They love here in WV.

07-Oct-10
My buddy and I bought some at Rural King here in central Indiana. We put it out multiple times in front of a trail camera, but the deer never touched it. The coons love it, though. We, too, thought the smell of it would bring in the deer, but no deal.

07-Oct-10
Suggest you try corn meal you can buy in bulk from your local feed store. I am sure it is what you are buying from some of the deer companys that put the picture of a deer in the bag. I bought 150lbs today and the cost was 20 dollars. It last longer than whole corn and deer love it.

07-Oct-10
Force Feed and Ground Force

09-Oct-10
If I'm going to use corn I usually go buy it by the bushel at the grain elevator for market price, somewhere around $3 a bushel. A bushel of shelled corn is 56lbs.

I was just curious about the "sweet feed" marketed towards horses with a picture of a horse on the front.

10-Oct-10
When I was 1st getting started in MI and baiting was legal, I tried it and found the deer to mostly ignore it earlier in the season. Maybe it was our ever present moisture, not sure?

Bill in MI

11-Oct-10
I knew somebody would be immature enough to say something about baiting not being fair or whatever.

It took longer than I thought, but High Country came through for me in the clutch. I was starting to think everybody had grown up around here.

To quote Hank Williams Jr., "If you don't like it, can't you just let it pass?"

11-Oct-10
Yea highcountry--I called the COOP and they have your 2,000 lbs of corn ready to load for ya...got 5,000 on stand by...I only use corn for clearing out does in the late season..I don`t mind if people use corn or whatever but don`t come talking to me about how good of a hunter you are...I just don`t want to hear it..

I see so many people around here teaching their kids to hunt deer over piles of corn...and the poor kid doesn`t even know what a licking branch is let alone how to scout an area...Their knowledge is this--- well this looks like a good spot to put a feeder...That`s the only hitch I have about baiting...YOU DON`T LEARN a DAMN THING...GOT IT..lazy,,lazy,,lazy

Ya said somebody would slam this thread about baiting because it`s not fair or whatever

I`m leaning towards the WHATEVER part of it...good day

11-Oct-10

travis@work's Link
A little video for ya rooster.... enjoy

click the link

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear