Mike/ky 19-Nov-11
cassman 20-Nov-11
11-Nov-11
Good luck Pat!

11-Nov-11
Good luck. Lake effect snow here in ny.

Josh

11-Nov-11
Good luck... how come I can't find there website anymore?

11-Nov-11
They don't update their website (outfitter)anymore. Too much trouble and they fill their quota for hunters with repeats every year.

11-Nov-11
Good luck guys

11-Nov-11
I saw four bucks this morning, three does, and 24 turkeys...I believe they were all gobblers.Bought a turkey tag at lunchtime. Hunting the same stand that I killed last years buck for the afternoon hunt. Wind is from the SSW about ten mph.probably sixty

11-Nov-11
The arrow in the back window will be a dead giveaway :)

11-Nov-11
A lost government EPA worker that far off the beaten path? Either Kent is doing things he shouldn't be doing or they are spying on Pat. So Pat how far off the road are you hunting anyway?

11-Nov-11
I am surrounded by bucks!

11-Nov-11
I am surrounded by bucks!

11-Nov-11
Jake are they the ones with horns or the ones with Washington's face on them?? LOL Shoot Man, you'll never get another chance at an 11/11/11 buck again!

11-Nov-11
Damn that's almost as fast as Eric! Congrats Pat!

11-Nov-11
Wait, dead buck already? Now what am I suppose to follow for the next few days...

11-Nov-11
Pat, Does that mean that you are going to video for the rest of the hunt?

12-Nov-11
Glad to see the explicit 'yote shot. Interesting how he turned toward the arrow hit when it was already behind him.

12-Nov-11
Just passed on a NICE eight and a narrow but high nine with decent mass. Got photos of both.

12-Nov-11
Jake, post the photos if you have a chance tonight. Be sure and tell us the stands that each of you are sitting. The Kill Tree was on fire last week. Thanks and good luck!

12-Nov-11
Rob, Will try to post the photos later.

12-Nov-11
Bill is in the big maple tree. Pat hunted kill tree this AM. He is in the round hay bale stand tonight. I am at the junkyard stand.

12-Nov-11
All cell phones will be collected before tomorrows morning hunt. Is there no privacy anymore. If I only owned this thread. PLEASE NO GPS ON STAND SITES. I will change names of stands Jake. Kent

12-Nov-11
Kansas, Kansas, Kansas! Doesn't get any better in mid-November!

Pat: Get a Bomber, it's OK if it's not on video! LOL

Jake: I am pulling for you to tag a really good one! Generally you have to pass 3 or 4 "tempters" sounds like you passed a good one already! Get er done!! Charlie

12-Nov-11
Rob, next year you will not be allowed to bring your note pad. If I lose my cell phone privileges then I can't have the Kents bring me donuts and coffee just after sun rise each morning.

Jake, tomorrow morning you should hunt the litter box stand and Pat you should hunt the mince meat stand.

Good luck guys....

Jeff

12-Nov-11
jeff, I thought we had an agreement between us about those 2 stands.Now the cat is out of the box, so to speak. (litterbox, mincemeat)

12-Nov-11
I think I just got called out to the woodshed...LOL

12-Nov-11
No no no you guys need to hunt the "elbow stand" and "donut stand" and someone has to hunt the "meatloaf stand"! If Kent acts like he doesn't know any of these stands then your not payin him enough! Lol, Mike

12-Nov-11
That's a great looking Yote Pat, congrats!

michael

12-Nov-11
Rob,

Pat posted the photo of one of the two nice bucks that I saw this morning. That buck had good mass, and nice tine length.....but he is actually quite narrow....maybe around 15", which was why I passed. I had him inside of twenty yards for more than five minutes. He is actually a nine point, but he is a main frame eight point.

The other buck didn't have the mass of the buck in the photo, but he was 20" and had decent tine length.

We're gonna have action to report by tomorrow. Count on it...

The

12-Nov-11
Some nice bucks! Good things come to those who wait, or just tag soup....

Josh

13-Nov-11
Oh man Jake...the G2's on that bad boy are impressive! Good man for waiting for what you want but I like big 8's with "daggers" ;)

13-Nov-11
Shooting a coyote over corn...what is the world coming to..lololol....alot of yotes this year..shoot'm up....good luck today guys...should be good...

13-Nov-11
Had a badger on corn this AM. Can't shoot him because he is a pet. I guess he is the "badge(r) of honor"?

13-Nov-11
Pat are you shooting the new Heli-M? I'm here in Salina (Ks.) have plenty of good ol' xx75s with feathers when you find those carbons won't penetrate these 300 lb'ers.

13-Nov-11
Honey badger?

Josh

13-Nov-11
If its a honey badger Id be very nice to him!

13-Nov-11
Wrong continent for honey badger, I believe.

13-Nov-11
I guess Kent didn't collect all of your cell phones this morning.

13-Nov-11
Wind is dying out. Sunny. Starting to warm up. Have seen does and small bucks...nothing bigger than an five point...so far.

13-Nov-11
Uh Jake, remember when I said I would not bust your B@lls until I saw a pic? Well I am thinking about it:) I agree with Hawkey, Big 8s are nice! Good luck finding the one you want.

Rick M

13-Nov-11
That weather is coming pat just be patient. It only takes about 30 minutes to turn around out here.

13-Nov-11
Fellas, be prepared to hunt all day Weds and Thursday. Moon phase/warm weather isn't helping right now but can only get better.

Pat, where should a devout democrat hunt tonight?

Jake, next time you hunt the Badger stand, get down and shoo him away. Make sure your camera is rolling though....

13-Nov-11
Bart maybe you should hunt about 30 yards from Charlies stand. lol :)

13-Nov-11
Yup way to stinkn warm..heading back out here shortly..sitting in the shade tonight

13-Nov-11
Every hour on stand brings you closer! Expect a "Bomber"!!!

13-Nov-11
Also can't shoot the badger because it's not furbearer season yet and you'd need a furbearer permit...which aren't cheep for non-residents.

Our game wardens have made quite a few cases from people posting their illegal activities on Bowsite and other online sources.

No problem with the coyote, though...

13-Nov-11
seems like everything is hitting that bait..........deer coyotes, and badgers.

13-Nov-11
Writer: agree on the Badger reminder but wouldn't it be fun to watch Jake on the ground eye to eye trying to chase (shoo) the badger away? I am confident Jake knows the seasons....

13-Nov-11
Writer,

I texted Kent and asked if it were permissable to take a badger.....he said "No". I wasn't going to shoot unless I got the go ahead from Kent.

13-Nov-11
Pat I'm not familiar with the area your in but I'd be willing to bet it's more the first lockdown phase that's got them holed up, the temps dont help. I'm no expert but I'd avoid the bait, the hot does are hiding in the grass right now, if you can find a funnel coming off some tall grass you'll be on the bucks. just a thought.

14-Nov-11
"Film at 11" Thats BS, we want pictures! We want Pictures! We want Pictures! hahaha, Mike

14-Nov-11
Can't wait to watch that one unfold!

14-Nov-11
Wow.. keep it coming pat!

14-Nov-11
Nice buck. Hope he is just checking the wind and not staring at that funny multi-colored object in the tree! I know that look......

14-Nov-11
Wow is right - I bet that hand doesnt bother you at all with that guy standing there.

14-Nov-11
I have been having headaches for the past couple days, and this morning I got to add diarrhea to the list. Needless to say, while I hoping to hold out for something really special, when a mature 4 1/2 buck came in, I took the shot. He had a couple broken points and a kicker on his G2. I'll post a photo later when I feel better.

I have read many threads about how far some bucks have traveled after being hit. I'll post photos of BOTH lungs (what's left of them)..... this buck ran 210 yards after being hit.

Everyone really needs to check out Pat's video footage later today..... Remember in the feature hunt text that Pat mentioned some raised eyebrows about the 8 point that I passed on? "What goes around, comes around".

14-Nov-11
Way to go Jake. Look forward to the photos. Sucks getting sick on a hunt.

14-Nov-11
You're a more patient man than I. I think I would be tagged out. I hope you get another crack at him.

14-Nov-11
it may be fate that by missing that opportunity, and with a tag in your pocket, an even bigger one will give you a chance. it he does............ kill it and forget the camera stuff. we'll forgive you if it is not on film.

14-Nov-11
Pat - the old adage is "Take your first good opportunity!!!!" If the arrow had hit in the triangle, we'de all be jealous of your smiling face... LOL

Good luck, he'll come back....

>>>>----------->

14-Nov-11
I'm shooting in a heartbeat at that buck and angle. You are a far more ethical man than I apparently.

14-Nov-11
Pat,

You're right. You're an idiot! LOL

Seriously, my friend, as long as you had 'pin-light,' we'd rather you shoot that great buck a whole lot more than we want to see a clear video of you shooting that great buck! By the time you'd shot him and retrieved him there would have been excellent light for taking video and photos!

14-Nov-11
Can't believe you passed a shot at that buck even with the EVER so slightly quartering to angle.

Its so slight (based on the camera angle) its hardly worth mentioning.

But maybe he was quartering to more than what the camera shows. Only you know that.

Hope you end up getting him or one that is even bigger.

14-Nov-11
Jake, Congrats on the buck. Since you used to be in the pharmacy business, I assume you can rid yourself of whatever bug you caught. Congrats again.

Pat, Best of luck. I hope your 8 comes back or you decide 12 will just have to do.

14-Nov-11
I question Pat's sanity! That is A LOT closer to broadside than quartering to from my viewpoint. With a calm deer, that seemed like a shot Pat could make at will. But, like any shot, its better to pass on one you don't feel good about than to take it and not feel good about the result.

Keep up the reports, as every year, it is fun reading.

14-Nov-11
What a steer... hide brandings & all. Cool buck.

14-Nov-11
at this point hold out for a 200" ....... you've already passed 160's

:o

14-Nov-11
Never seen a Tiger-striped buck before!

14-Nov-11
Wow, You've got some serious patience passing up that one. Hope your boy comes back in the morning or you might have two opportunities to second guess lol. Good luck.

14-Nov-11
Yea we need to take up a collection to have Pat's head checked out.

14-Nov-11
Nice buck! Hope it comes together for everyone.

Josh

14-Nov-11

Medicinemann's embedded Photo
Here is a photo of the near side lung. I used a 100 grain fixed blade broadhead. My arrow weight is 510 grains. Remember, this buck ran 210 yards after this hit. Amazing.....

14-Nov-11

This is the exit side lung.....210 yards later.....

14-Nov-11
deer are one tough critter ,, a bear would have made it ten yards congras on letting the air out on that one ..

14-Nov-11
210 yards in three seconds is about 143 mph....he wasn't running that fast.... Ever hold your breath for a couple minutes, then try to run a sprint before getting a breath? The buck was oxygen deprived, and yet he ran more than 200 yards without the ability to take in air. THAT is amazing.....

14-Nov-11
Hey we grow them tough here in KS..that is why Pat didnt shoot...either of those two would have been in my freezer...;) Congrats Jake

14-Nov-11
Jake, you are the only hunter I know that can pull a 95# bow n not crap in his pants under healthy conditions much less under you current situation--Congrats on a great buck --Pat what the heck!!!!!Hope it pays off!!!!

14-Nov-11
Congrats Jake!! Great buck! Hope you're on the mend soon. Pat! There are no words! Haha! All I can say is Wow!

14-Nov-11
Hope you get another chance at that buck. That yellow stuff on the ground sure looks like bait to me?

14-Nov-11
Congrats Jake on a nice buck! and are you kidding me Pat! WOW!

15-Nov-11
Congrats Jake! Hope You feel better soon.

15-Nov-11
Jake - congrats on the great shot on a nice buck. Get well soon.

Pat - you could have easily made the shot on that big buck, but since you thought "no go", then your judgment is sound. I have done similar. Now as to that 11 point BRUTE of a buck that you passed on - that was a mistake, my friend. He is a BRUTE and was bristled ready for action. I would prefer him over the tall tined 8pt, but just my opinion.

Hopefully, you will get an easy shot at the tall tined 8pt or larger, or decide to take the brute. In any event, good luck!

15-Nov-11
I wonder if the "plains" deer have a different MO when hit compared to deer that live in heavy timber. By that I mean deer that can hide by running a few yards and get swallowed up by the woods might feel more secure than those in a relatively wide open area, so the plains deer use distance as their means of safety? Any thoughts from folks that hunt both thick woods and open areas?

Congrats Jake!

15-Nov-11
Pat just left the house. Temperatures are in the twenties and the wind is from the NW. They're gonna be MOVING. Pat is going to the same spot as yesterday AM...where the big ten point was..er..IS (gotta think positive)!

15-Nov-11
You better watch it or Stan Potts is going to take your spot next season. To many shooter bucks

15-Nov-11
Sorry Pat but that angle shot is a no brainer. I would be eating tenderloin right now. Hope it plays out for you!

15-Nov-11
maybe the camera angle was deceptive and the angle pat had was not as perfect at the angle the camera had.

15-Nov-11
"...The buck was oxygen deprived, and yet he ran more than 200 yards without the ability to take in air. THAT is amazing...."

On the money Medicinemann. I can only guess the muscle mass of these big Kansas bucks is closing the wound a bit thus slowing the collapse of the lung. Another factor is the open country. They get in the open and can go at full speed, briefly. I clobbered a buck 3 years ago, double lung, full penetration, (hole on both sides) and had him go 150+ yards, across a harvested corn field. In heavy cover, I'm not sure he would have gone 40 yards.

But it's all conjecture. Every situation is unique.

15-Nov-11
Hello everyone, I'm hunting Kansas too. I'm from Virginia. Man these are some big deer!! Had a couple nice ones close but no shot. Just 3 days left to get one. Tried rattling, snort weez, grunt, can call, bleat and deer pee. I'm seeing them but won't come close enough. Had one at. 25 yards smelled deer pee then walked away. Have rattled in some small ones. I guess you can't kill deer without a outfitter (lol).

Wish me Luck!!!

15-Nov-11
Congrats on a good looking deer Jake andk that is one closeup of a pair of lungs. Good camerwork. Feel better. Pat-Hope you get another chance at that biggie!

15-Nov-11
Congrats to Jake, goodluck to Pat,and Rick! Mike

15-Nov-11
Jake, congrats on another great trophy to add you your collection. I hope you feel better soon and can get out there and fill your turkey tag!

Pat, wow, you have alot more self control than I do, those are some great deer you have passed. Best of luck getting a giant.

15-Nov-11
Pat sent me a text, I guess things have been rather slow, which surprises me.

15-Nov-11
yeah but slow for him means nothing over 175" within 15 yards.

15-Nov-11
Bowana...you and me both...no way you could not get major liver and a lung.

15-Nov-11
Way to go Jake. Hope your feeling better.

15-Nov-11
Great deer Jake!

Pat, oh boy, I'll hold the profanities and simply say you have more grit than me. Thats how you get the big ones though, but man, oh man...

michael

15-Nov-11
Pat what u crying about thats just a good solid buck .Stop being Marty Stouffer with the camera and just kill one ...

15-Nov-11
Hey Inbowdude, Just read your post about deer running farther in open country after I'd posted something similar. Great minds think alike.

15-Nov-11
I wonder how many opportunities are missed during "midday breaks".

VERY suprised all day sits are not the norm this time of year

15-Nov-11
Jake congrats on a fine buck and hope you're feeling better

15-Nov-11
Pat must be developing a new "blood trail" today. Hope he posts soon!

15-Nov-11
He just likes to keep us up late waiting, we're all whipped!

Josh

15-Nov-11

15-Nov-11
Hey Pat. Have you hunted the condo yet? Time to let an arrow fly. Eric

15-Nov-11
Eric,

PM sent.

Jake

15-Nov-11
No update. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

15-Nov-11
Hmmm. Yeah, had to expect that. It's NEVER the same 2 days in a row.

16-Nov-11
maybe he's draggin' and skinin' 'bout now.

16-Nov-11
Pat, Good luck today. I have enjoyed following along this week. Jake....congrats on your buck. Lenny

16-Nov-11
Hunted Nebraska a few weeks back and the coyote's were bad there also. They are really bad at my lease here in Texas. I guess with no money for pelts, this is going to be an increasing problem. (not trying to hijack just saying). continue ----

16-Nov-11
Stay tuned ....

16-Nov-11
Hmmmmmmmm...... Wonder what that is hinting at?? Can't wait!

Josh

16-Nov-11
Jake has a way with words:)

16-Nov-11
Oh boy!!!

16-Nov-11
he may be hinting that Pat got one!

either that or we're going to get an update on Jake's bout with intestinal distress.

16-Nov-11
Jake what is going on. I cant get any work done when I am on the computer all day.

16-Nov-11
Consider me tuned in!

16-Nov-11
neat throat patch! great buck!

16-Nov-11
nice deer guys

16-Nov-11
Way to get it done Pat. Great Job!

16-Nov-11
we knew you'd bring home a beauty at the end. and with a perfect shoot to boot.

very well done pat!

16-Nov-11
Congrats! Pat what a buck.

16-Nov-11
Great feature as always. Congratulations.

16-Nov-11
We are getting ready to go out for our annual "end of the hunt" dinner.....but before we do, I wanted to add another post to this thread. This afternoon, Kent Woolfolk took us out predator hunting. Pat borrowed a 25-.06 and I took my bow.

Within ONE minute of Kent starting his first call sequence, I spotted a coyote that was coming to the call. I went to full draw and the yote stopped at 70 yards, and I was less than a second or two from releasing when he buggered. So close, yet so far. A few minutes later, Pat had a 200 yard shot at another yote. It sounded like a hit, but we never found him. I sure would like to predator hunt from a tree stand on the day AFTER deer season ends.....especially if hunting over a carcass!!

Gotta go....time to get ready for dinner.

16-Nov-11
Awesome job guys-- two great bucks---Pat, did the arrow stick in the tree r the ground -- can't find it in the video -- Kansas has been very good to a few bowsiters this year--

16-Nov-11
Nice buck Pat. Enjoyed the video too. I love the junkyard stand. I saw so many nice bucks on that stand last yr. I as looking forward to hunting it again this yr. That stand def has a special place n my heart. Congrats on your kill!!

16-Nov-11
Congrats on another great year at CRO! Cool looking buck for sure Pat! He looks mature to me! Big bodied bucks out there!!

16-Nov-11
Thanks for sharing. I can't get on such a hunt this year. Following your hunt has been very nice. Congratulations to you guys!!

16-Nov-11
Another great hunt. Congrats!

16-Nov-11
How come they dont get someone to come in there after deer season and trap some predators? L>ooks like they are overrun with yotes-

michael

17-Nov-11
Congrats to both of you guys!! Pat, that buck has a beautiful cape with that dark forehead and double throat patch. He will make an awesome mount!!

17-Nov-11
Nice job guys, enjoyed following the hunt!!!!

17-Nov-11
Clutch, the arrow hit the tree behind the buck. However, it hadn't completely cleared the deer when it hit the tree, so it flipped out of the picture.

17-Nov-11
Mn-archer, they DO trap the area. They caught 60 last year, and I will bet that he catches closer to 100 coyotes this year.

17-Nov-11
Perfect shot!!

17-Nov-11
What camo coat/pants does Pat have on in his pictures with his buck?

17-Nov-11
Sorry...I know it is predator, but what Brand I guess I should have said.

17-Nov-11
Thanks Pat. I thought it looked similar to my Day One Camo Pullover. Love that stuff!

Congrats on the buck!

17-Nov-11
So now ya have to card em before ya shoot em? =D

Looks grown up enough for me, but that attitude has gotten me into trouble before too. Good job Pat, great shot, congrats!

And Jake passed on a buck? I didn't even feel the earthquake from over here. =D

Congrats to you Jake, that was a beauty!

Looks like a great time...... good hunting, good friends, hard to beat. Thanks guys.

17-Nov-11
Congrats Pat...nice buck...I'll tell ya what....that's a beautiful cape on that thing...

17-Nov-11
Congrats gentlemen! This thread did not disappoint, again. Thanks for the stories and great videos/pictures. Of course, being in KS makes it easy to have great camera work:)

18-Nov-11
Congrats to both of you.

Did Jake post a picture of his buck?

18-Nov-11
Congratulations Pat! You 'got R' done'!!

>>>>----------->

18-Nov-11
Congrats on your anniversary hunt and Pat take me with you next year. The way you describe this hunt and outfitter I could not help but have a good hunt. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

19-Nov-11
If you made the decision to take the bucks life then NEVER be disappointed in him or yourself. Honor that animal by being proud. Regardless of how big he would of been in the future. Great shot, Great buck.

20-Nov-11
I really enjoyed the hunt. There isn't a hunter I know who wouldn't hav been excited to have taken one of those great bucks. I look forward to the hunt every year and wish you success in future hunts.

• Sitka Gear