Moultrie Mobile
Plans for permanent ground blind anyone?
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
lewis 18-Nov-11
Ken 20-Nov-11
lewis 22-Nov-11
Mr Wapiti 22-Nov-11
badlander 22-Nov-11
lewis 22-Nov-11
petedrummond 22-Nov-11
petedrummond 22-Nov-11
petedrummond 22-Nov-11
petedrummond 22-Nov-11
petedrummond 22-Nov-11
ZATS IT 22-Nov-11
ZATS IT 22-Nov-11
r-man 22-Nov-11
Knife2sharp 23-Nov-11
Knife2sharp 23-Nov-11
rooster 23-Nov-11
dustyvarmint 23-Nov-11
lewis 23-Nov-11
daxmorgan 08-Dec-11
lewis 09-Dec-11
BB 09-Dec-11
BB 09-Dec-11
The Yode 09-Dec-11
BB 09-Dec-11
HeadHunter® 09-Dec-11
BB 11-Dec-11
18-Nov-11
Thinking about building a few permanent ground blinds on our 300 acres in Tn.Any ideas.Lewis

20-Nov-11
I've made them like Indian except after I make a circle of hog panel, I use 1/2 PVC arched over the top to make a domed ceiling. Instead of burlap I use wind screen(like for tennis courts). It does the same thing as burlap but lasts longer.

Brush it in good and it will look just like a pile of brush.

22-Nov-11
Thanks guys I was leaning toward plywood at first but the hog wire is an option.Sorry for being so long to get back but it is still the season.any pics would be great,Lewis

22-Nov-11
you could always build it like we used to build our antelope blinds, they ended up being 6 ft tall and 8' by 8' so plenty of room. you could buile it like i did my dog house as well and put 3-6 inch poly board on teh inside for insulation and sound barrier, then use 8 inch paneling to sandwich it in. you could stay plenty warm and have lots of room

22-Nov-11
I have built 3 that I leave up at my hunting property year round. I have built the 6.5'x6.5' by 5' tall frames out of 2x2's, angled the roofs and covered the roof with plywood. For the walls I have used dark brown canvas - purchased at Fleet Farm as canvas tarps, stretched the canvas over the 2x2 frame and attached with pole barn screws.

Anchor them down and they are very solid. One of mine was not anchored this past summer and was destroyed in a bad wind storm but outside of that issue they have been around for 3-4 years now and are still in good shape.

22-Nov-11
Thanks again everyone great ideas.I think ground blinds have now been dubbed extremely effective.Do most of yall shoot sitting or standing.Lewis

22-Nov-11

petedrummond's embedded Photo
try this

22-Nov-11

try this

22-Nov-11

try this

22-Nov-11

try this

22-Nov-11
Oops

22-Nov-11
I cut 6 to 7 trees 8"x12ft tied them at the top tee pee style covered it with burlap brush in with cedar trees cut some big stumps for seats deer walk by it an pay no mind

22-Nov-11
I cut 6 to 7 trees 8"x12ft tied them at the top tee pee style covered it with burlap brush in with cedar trees cut some big stumps for seats deer walk by it an pay no mind

22-Nov-11
your better off moving around in a mobile blind, the deer will paturn you.

23-Nov-11

Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
I just posted a long comment and it seems my work is now blocking forums on their firewall. I'll try this again with my network credentials and if it works I'll type up what I wrote about the construction of the blind. But here's a pic of it in the meantime.

23-Nov-11
OK, must've been a temporary network issue here, that went through fine. BTW, I took the tom last fall.

Anyways, the blind is 6'x6'x6'. The corners are four treated fence posts, and the center walls have a metal fence post. I used that rectangular fencing around the blind and wove strips of black duck cloth between the fencing. I used the same material to make black window flaps. The roof also has the same fencing, but I attached that black plastic fencing, which I think is that same stuff Ken was talking about. I used 2 1/2" or 3" PVC pipe to make a roof brace and the 45 degree elbows fit perfectly over the metal fence posts. I spray painted the exterior of the blind with kaki paint, then spray painted the inside with black. Otherwise, leaving the black cloth unpainted would casue it to fade.

23-Nov-11
If they are going to be permanent, build them to last. Use pressure treated lumber and weather proof exterior materials. They don't have to be camoflauged as the critters will get used to them. If I were building them that's how i would do it. They would be deluxe.

23-Nov-11
Knife2sharp, that looks good. happy hunting, dv

23-Nov-11
Super ideas guys do you think it would better shooting standing or sitting.What size window?Lewis

08-Dec-11
plastic lattice works great and lasts forever

09-Dec-11
never thought of the lattice do you put a top on it

09-Dec-11

BB's Link
Here's a link to a thread I did early this year that has a plan for a ground blind.

Have a good one, BB

09-Dec-11
And here's a few photos of one I have been working on just today. I put it together so that I can camp the out side and then its done and I will take it down and store it till spring or next summer.

It's very similar to the plan blind, but much larger. It it almost 8'x8' and has benches all the way around and the shooting holes can be set on any side and from a large to a very small opening.

I usually build one or two blinds or tree stands each year.

Have a great bow hunt. BB

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And heres a photo of the inside benches that go all the way around the inside perimeter.

Photobucket

09-Dec-11
Wow BB - looks like there is plenty of room for the hot tub in the middle! 8-)

09-Dec-11
Just finished with the rough camo and here's how it looks at this point.

I plan to place it were there is quite a bit of green, so I will add green over the weekend and it will be done.

It is large, there's no doubt about it. I plan to use it to photograph a number of different critters and so I wanted to be able to sleep in it if the need arises. For instance I would like to shoot sage grouse photos and place it right at the lek and then sleep in it and be there for the morning action. If you tired to get in it early AM you would scare the birds.

Here's a little better look at the inside benches. The light was so bright in the last photo you can't see it very well. By the time I took these photos the harsh sun was pretty much gone.

Photobucket

Here's what it looks like on the door side. All the windows will be the same color as the door (dark brown). They are open at this point, but already made and painted.

Photobucket

Here's one of the side views.

Photobucket

And here's a quartering view of two of the sides.

Photobucket

And here's what a sage grouse looks like during the spring rut at a lek.

Photobucket

09-Dec-11
there are some "pics" and comments on THE ILLINOIS forum also on some.........

11-Dec-11
I finished my blind today. Now all I have to do is get it broke in with a few photos and a few bow kills. I bet that will happen next year.

Here's how it turned out when complete.

Front:

Photobucket

Back:and entrance side view:

Photobucket

Remaining side: (and back)

Photobucket

• Sitka Gear