tobywon 19-Aug-16
Zbone 19-Aug-16
Medicinemann 19-Aug-16
Ollie 19-Aug-16
midwest 19-Aug-16
Zbone 19-Aug-16
South Farm 19-Aug-16
18-Aug-16
I just took the bowhunter education coarse for Iowa. One thing I learned is that you cannot should a predominately white deer. I was curious how this was measured?

18-Aug-16
You can't shoot an albino, which is all white or a piebald, which has white patches. On a positive note, you will probably never see one, so not an issue really. You could do a Google search to see example pictures.

18-Aug-16
Unless the DNR has changed the rules you can kill a piebald deer. I know a few really big bucks on guys wall that are piebald.

18-Aug-16
You can shoot the all black one's though that are even more rare!

I believe the law states "predominantly white" deer are protected.

Stupid law with no biological reason.

18-Aug-16
Yup we had a black doe we was trying to get a shot on a few years ago.

18-Aug-16
I stand corrected. Scrappy is right. They have to be less than 50% white. Sorry for the bad info.

18-Aug-16
You gotta hold them still until you can measure how much white is on them ? Yeah, stupid law !

BTW, I have seen two white does ( all white ) in my life, and two black deer, one buck, one doe. The buck was dead, and I got a close look at him. Beautiful buck ! I would have had to mount him if I had killed him, but he was only a youngster, so I would not have killed him anyway.

18-Aug-16
Less than 50% percent white? Does that include the natural white fur. Im not trying to fish here, I just read that and thought it was odd. A deer is a deer (IMHO).

18-Aug-16
I have always been under the impression that albino (don't know about peibald) deer were genetically "weaker" than a "normal" whitetail. Why would we want to encourage the preservation of a genetically weaker animal?

18-Aug-16
White deer matter!

18-Aug-16
Not sure what is meant by genetically weaker? Do you have any info. on that Jake?

Resource and fish and game departments are notorious for writing vague and often un-enforceable (lawfully) regulations.

18-Aug-16
wildlife commissioners did the same thing in TN. my understanding, against the advise of the biologists, it was done to protect a 'pet albino'.

18-Aug-16
Never understood why albino deer are protected. Never heard of an all black deer before, I have seen one in my life and it was in the summer and she had triplets, all brown. I think if your fortunate enough to see one within range you should be able to take it. I believe Illinois says if there is any brown on a white deer you can harvest, tarsal glands don't count.

18-Aug-16
As I understand from reading a pure albino deer does have vision problems, but a piebald does not.

18-Aug-16
When in doubt, back out! Free Willy!

18-Aug-16
In reality they need to rid the gene pool of them.

18-Aug-16
Albinism is a genetically recessive trait. So it is true that they are genetically weaker. Personally I would kill a deer that is 50 percent white if given the chance. Melanistic deer are even more rare. I believe Iowa instituted the law due to trespassing and vandalism occurring while trying to harvest white deer in the past. Not absolutely sure but in my understanding the law isn't about saving genetically inferior animals but due to crazy human acts trying to harvest one. Predominantly white means 50.001 percent I would guess. I did kill a doe with a white forehead and a white streak going up the face. Was neat and I saw a second one with even more white on the head

18-Aug-16
Alright, well sense know one new for sure, I just emailed the Iowa DNR.

Response : " Thank you for using the Iowa DNR website. If it is over 50% white it is illegal to shoot. Law Enforcement would consider all surface area of the hide."

18-Aug-16
Iowa Department of Natural Resources: May 20, 2014 · Shooting white deer in Iowa: is it legal? This photo was taken recently in Buchanan County by our Facebook friend Steve Baty. ANSWER: It is not legal to shoot predominately white deer in Iowa. Whitetail deer that are predominately white have been protected in Iowa since the 1980s, as described in Larry Stone’s book, “Whitetail Treasure, Trophy or Trouble? A History of Deer in Iowa.” There, Stone writes: “In the 1980s, an albino doe in the St. Ansgar area attracted hundreds of people seeking to catch sight of it or to take a photograph. Local hunters passed up shots at the animal, and farmers guarded it jealously. The uproar when a hunter shot a white deer in another part of the state prompted the Iowa Legislature to pass a law protecting white deer.” Removing these deer from the gene pool with hunting would not be a benefit, just the same as protecting them is not a benefit. The protection is due to social issues and people’s perceptions.

18-Aug-16

CCHH's embedded Photo
CCHH's embedded Photo
Iowa Department of Natural Resources: May 20, 2014 · Shooting white deer in Iowa: is it legal? This photo was taken recently in Buchanan County by our Facebook friend Steve Baty. ANSWER: It is not legal to shoot predominately white deer in Iowa. Whitetail deer that are predominately white have been protected in Iowa since the 1980s, as described in Larry Stone’s book, “Whitetail Treasure, Trophy or Trouble? A History of Deer in Iowa.” There, Stone writes: “In the 1980s, an albino doe in the St. Ansgar area attracted hundreds of people seeking to catch sight of it or to take a photograph. Local hunters passed up shots at the animal, and farmers guarded it jealously. The uproar when a hunter shot a white deer in another part of the state prompted the Iowa Legislature to pass a law protecting white deer.” Removing these deer from the gene pool with hunting would not be a benefit, just the same as protecting them is not a benefit. The protection is due to social issues and people’s perceptions.

18-Aug-16
This sounds racist to me.

18-Aug-16
it just sounds dumb, stupid laws get passed every day

18-Aug-16
Indians consider all white's sacred. Bad juju for wacking one even if it is legal. Plus you're depriving a predator of his/her fun.

18-Aug-16
Guess my question was worded poorly. I'll try to do better. Despite the fact that recessive genes are considered genetically "weak", what about them leads to a "lesser" specimen worthy of removal form the herd?

18-Aug-16
Several states actually don't allow for exactly what Williamtell states.

Native Americans hold them sacred and in states like Oklahoma if you get approval I believe from tribe and or DNC you can shoot them but not before.

18-Aug-16
Genetically inferior doesn't mean they can't survive or that the meat is no good. The only thing I could find negative (for them) is that their eyesight is not as good and they show up better making them an "easier" target. As to why they should not be allowed tho reproduce, Why not?

18-Aug-16
their fur makes nice coats.

18-Aug-16
At the request of the landowner we had to pass on possibly the world's dumbest white spike in PA. Only brown spot was where the 12 ring wold be.

"Bummer of birthmark, huh, Hal?" (Far Side cartoon)

The buck spent quite a bit of time on state land. I doubt he made it past opening ten minutes of firearms season.

18-Aug-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I grunted this little guy in 3 times one morning. I've got video somewhere. I have video of a big white doe with triplets...fawns were all brown. I also have some video of a white buck and brown buck doing a little sparring right outside our ground blind.

They're really spooky to see after dark...looks like a ghost moving through the woods. When snow is on, they are nearly invisible.

19-Aug-16

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Have had dealings with piebald and white deer and even ran this fawn down when I was MUCH younger…8^) I agree, they do look almost mythical in low light, and have had hunts almost spiritual chasing them, (stories I could tell) and more power to them if they can survive without protection, but yeah, what a stupid law, they are just deer with inferior recessive genes...

(BTW, notice the Roman nose)

19-Aug-16

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Interesting thread, crazy law on the 50% thing. Aside from being a fawn and not shooting, >50% or <50% white.

19-Aug-16

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Other side

19-Aug-16
Hmmmm tobywon, don't think that one is legal...8^)

19-Aug-16
Franzen,

Perhaps my recollections are more urban myth than fact, I don't really know where I heard about albinos being "weaker". One of the comments was directed at their eyesight, which apparently doesn't tolerate bright sunlight as well as that of a typical deer. I also understood that they were not as "hardy", alluding to difficulty tolerating extreme weather.

19-Aug-16
I agree this law does not make any sense and is politically driven. Best not to shoot any deer with white patches beyond the muzzle, throat patch and belly as the conservation officer in the area may have their own interpretation as to what constitutes a legal piebald deer.

19-Aug-16
They are the Johnny Winter of deer. :-)

RIP, Johnny.

19-Aug-16
Medicinemann - You are correct, the recessive genes are inferior, sometimes affecting eyesight being one trait, sometimes shorter legs another, and as shown above, Roman noses, and etc.... Did research for a North American Whitetail Magazine article years ago...

19-Aug-16
"Indians consider all white's sacred."

You sure about that?!? LMAO!

• Sitka Gear