Elk in area 61 in colorado
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
bownut 13-Jan-08
MT 13-Jan-08
bownut 13-Jan-08
Booner@laptop 14-Jan-08
13-Jan-08
I have a friend that wants to hunt this area. Any information on guides or anything else would be great.

13-Jan-08
How many pref points does he have? ;)

13-Jan-08

14-Jan-08
I drew with 12 last year. For some reason Carter's website is not listing minimum points needed for an archery tag. I'll give them a call later and find out why.

The unit is serviced by 5 or 6 outfitters, and these outfitters can not hunt the entire unit--they are granted exclusive outfitting rights on a specific area. After talking to several people I felt an outfitter would have been a waste of my money--the outfitters are overpriced as archery outfitters go, and I never talked to a one that I got a good feeling about. At least two have sold out to out of staters--one in CA, the other in GA.

The unit is huge, and you should give yourself as much time as you possibly can. There are many many good areas, but I also felt I encountered way too many hunters for the amount of tags that were issued for the unit. Enforcement is thin at best and the unit across the road (62) is OTC. Lots of border jumpers IMO.

A few of us have hunted it and if you decide to go and draw the tag, I may be willing to point you in the right direction--but I also have a good friend going next year and he's got dibs on my info.

• Sitka Gear