ohiohunter 20-May-16
russ_outdoors 20-May-16
JLS 20-May-16
jims 20-May-16
midwest 20-May-16
ScottTigert 20-May-16
ELKMAN 21-May-16
16-Feb-08
I have read the countless threads regarding boot choices. I have checked all the different brands, and have narrowed my search to either the Lowa rangers or the Tibets.

The Rangers are 30% lighter, and have a lower ankle, and I can't find much more significant difference.

Do any of you know what would make the Tibet a better boot for a back country elk hunt????

Thanks for your input.

16-Feb-08
30% lighter? The Lowa web site says the difference is .2 lbs (3.7 lbs. versus 3.9 lbs) - roughly 3 ozs. You may want to check your sources.

I used the Tibets and really like them.

16-Feb-08
Schnee's web sit says that the tibets weight 6.85 pounds and the rangers 4.5 lbs

16-Feb-08
Fulldraw I just weighed my Lowa Tibets and they where 3.8lbs total for the pair! Just so you know I purchased the Cabelas Mendle Hikers $259 big ones a few months ago while I got my Lowa Tibets resoled. I can only speak from using both boots and I will only purchase the Lowa Tibets and Lowa Sheep Hunters in the future. I just think the fit for me is much better then the Cabelas Mendle hikers eventhough that are very similar to the Lowa Tibets except for a bigger rand which I liked. The insoles I believe are also an important piece of the equation. I have tried a bunch of them and the Green Superfeet out perform all the rest in my book! It has been written on many threads before but boots are a very personal thing. Sometimes a costly trial an error. When you find the right pair for you and your hunting situation you will know it! Good Luck fulldraw!

16-Feb-08
Thanks PA. That just made my decsion....

16-Feb-08
Tibets dont weight 6 lbs. Maybe they are thinking the sheep hunters.

17-Feb-08
Those are shipping weights. Unless you are planning to wear the packaging too, I would go with the Tibets. ;-)

17-Feb-08
I have a pair of Miendl Hunters that are sitting unused. I keep reading how most seam to prefer the Lowa and so I am contemplating sending the Miendls back. My problem is that I can't try on the Lowa's first as no one in my area carries them. What is it specifically about the Lowa's everyone seams to prefer? Like PA Stalker said, the only difference I can see in the adds is the bigger rand on the Miendls, which is a plus. I thought I read somewhere the Lowas seam to fit people with smaller foot volume and the Miendls fit larger foot volume (per size). Anyone have any advice??

17-Feb-08
I would go with the tibets. the rangers have sticking that comes down the side of the boot, I would rather a one piece leather that goes all the way around to the back.

17-Feb-08
The tibets tend to run 1/2 size small.

17-Feb-08
aspencer, I agree with that statement that you heard! It is right on for me. My foot size is 8.5W which is exactly the Lowa boot size I wear. The Miendles I actually had to get size 8 reg. Go figure and my feet still move a little in the heal. I have to crank down by laces a little more than I would like. The heel section is the problem. I have spent alot on different insoles to try to snug them up. It has gotten a little better as I continue to break them in!

17-Feb-08
Regarding advice you might get here: remember everyone's feet are different. What works for me may be the opposite of what works for you.

As for trying things, you might want to try Zappos.com... if they have em and you don't like em they are a snap to return by mail.

17-Feb-08
10-4, I agree with you forager

18-Feb-08
My hunting partner brought Sheep Hunters & Rangers on our hunt in September. He thought he'd save some weight while packing meat, and wore the Rangers on a very steep up and down pack. The tops of the ankles dug in to the backs of his legs and caused some nasty blisters and soreness. I made the same pack with my Tibets on and was as comfortable as I am at home in my bedroom slippers.

18-Feb-08
I also have the Tibets, and love them. I have used them elk, deer, and mountain goat hunting this past fall. The main difference in the 2 besides height, is the sole stiffness. The ranger has a much softer sole than the tibets. The sole on the tibets is extremely stiff.

Hyde

18-Feb-08
Due to ankle issues, I need a boot that will go over the top of the ankles. Are they both (Rangers & Tibets) below the ankles - or do the Tibets go up over the top of the ankles?

19-Feb-08
The Tibets go up over the ankles. As manhartt said, the soles are very stiff, which I really liked in rough terrain and when packing the support is awesome. But you wouldn't want to wear them to walk pavement or stroll around the mall. I might have to look at the Rangers, then I could do some of my preseason pack work on the roads walking with my wife, I need good arch support but a softer sole.

19-Feb-08
I have the Tibets too and have put them to some pretty extreme tests. They are great boots.

As far as sizing goes, I ordered a half size larger than normal and ended up sending them back because they were too big. I ended up with my normal size (10.5) and they fit well.

20-May-16
The rangers are a solid middle of the road boot between the renegade and the tibet. I just wish the rangers were a little lighter, but they are a full leather boot.

When I was researching the rangers before I bought them I could not find anything negative, hell its hard to find negative reviews of any lowa.

20-May-16
Not to make your decision any harder but....

I have the Tibets. Solid boots and the reference standard. Good support, stiff soles, full rand, etc. A boot I will probably always own. For heavy loads off trail on steep slopes.

Tried the Renegades. Great trail boot, but the support and flexible sole left me wanting more off trail, especially when carrying a pack.

Enter the Caminos. Kind of a tweener boot between the Tibet and Renegade. Closer to the Tibet in stiffness and support but noticeably lighter. My current favorite.

20-May-16
I've worn Lowa Banffs, Sheep Hunters, Baffin Pros, and Rangers.

All are good, and it depends on what level of stiffness you are looking for. I REALLY like the Rangers. I wear them a lot chukar hunting and find the give really good support without being overly stiff.

For most of my elk hunting they will suffice very well. They do have stitching on the lowers, wish it was one piece leather but it's not.

I also looked at the Caminos and TiCams very closely.

20-May-16
Tibets are one of my favorite boots: however, the only time I would use them while elk hunting is if there is snow. I cover gobs of country while elk hunting. My preference is light hikers similar to Lowa Renegades GTX or Scarpa Kailsch. The other reason I like light hikers is because I can stalk quietly in them while it is nearly impossible to stalk quietly in thick soled, stiff boots similar to Tibets. I brought my Tibets and Scarpas along on last year's sheep hunt and actually never used my Tibets because I prefer lighter weight, quiet boots over additional ankle support. For elk hunting I would likely grab my Lowa Renegades and my Scarpas would likely sit. If I'm late season hunting in snow there is no doubt I'll grab my Tibets but anymore that's about the only time I use them...even though I love them!

20-May-16
It's been 8 years since the OP started this thread. I'm guessing he's made a decision by now.

20-May-16
8 years.............GIGGLE

21-May-16
Look at the Crispi line over on Blackovis.com before you take the plunge. They are insanely light, very well made, and one of the few boot brands that are still moving forward with R&D and their design...

• Sitka Gear