outdoorsaddict 13-Mar-08
TD 13-Mar-08
dreamcatcher 13-Mar-08
Coolcop 13-Mar-08
Beendare 14-Mar-08
pupper 14-Mar-08
Fisher 14-Mar-08
13-Mar-08
Looking for suggestions on a sleeping bag and pad for last week of september bowhunt in colorado high country.

on this hunt, I will be hiking out to make a spike camp from which I will hunt.

would prefer synthetic over down, unless convinced otherwise. can't stand a mummy. need plenty of room since I am a big guy.

interested in a separate bag and pad or a combo.

please suggest brands, models, and where to get a good deal

I have checked the search feature, but did not find a suggestion for these characteristics.

thanks and best wishes, matt

13-Mar-08
You should probably search both subjects. There are literally hundreds of opinions out there.

13-Mar-08
Well my suggestions went out the door once I read that you prefer synthetics over down, and dont like mummy bags.

I like down because of the light to warmth ratio. If your worried about water get a light bivy sack to cover it.

I like Western Mountaineering bags. They dont get any nicer! As far as pads, I use a z lite byt thermarest for the shear factor of it keeping me off the cold ground, and it being so light!

13-Mar-08
check out www.trailspace.com it helps me alot with gear choices

13-Mar-08
One of the things to consider is that since you will just be going out and then not moving camp is weight is not quite as critical as when you move each day. You can do one heavy grunt with frequent rests.

13-Mar-08
For a big guy, take a look at the stretch bags by Montbell and Sierra designs. It will change your mind on what a comfortable sleeping bag should be forever. I have found the temp ratings accurate for both mfrs.

13-Mar-08
Big Agnes

13-Mar-08
Montbell is for munchkins. Big Agnes with pad that slides into the bag would be a good choice if you are over 6 ft. and base camping. Marmot Helium for down lightest,smallest packing bag,Western Mtnneering best all around bags.

13-Mar-08
LOL! I think Beendare has been called many many things, but rarely if ever a munchkin! ROTFLMAO!

I second the WM bags. The BAIAC pad is a bit heavy but just about as comfy as it gets. 2 1/2 inches thick if I remember right.

IMOMO (in my old man opinion) the comfy pad is nearly as important (in some cases more) than the bag.

I think with the newer outer coverings, etc. down is the way to go. But if you decide on synthetic beware of comfort ratings. Most synthetics I've seen they are "survivable" ratings, not comfort.

13-Mar-08
Fisher, this is what I've using on our trips out to Northwest Montana. We are in tents for 10-14 days and I simply love this setup!! I'm 6ft tall and 195 pounds. But, I have very wide shoulders and a back that acts up on occasion!

I use the Northface Mammoth (wide) +20 sleeping bag. It's comfortable, warm and wide enough, so you don't feel like your in a coffin!

Also, I purchased the Outdoor Research Exped. Downmat Deluxe. This may be a little heavy and very expensive. However, it's 3 1/2" thick, supports my very wide shoulders and is very comfortable! For me, a good nights sleep is important. You can adjust how firm or soft you like it for a good night sleep!

My advice is to try a few out and do a trial run on all your equipment before you head out!! Best of Luck!!

13-Mar-08
Big Agnes, I have the sleeping bag pad combo. The sleeping bag has a sleeve for the pad so you dont have to worry about sliding off the pad. I spent 8 days on the ground in late September last year at 9,000 feet with them, no complaints.

14-Mar-08
That Munchkin comment is funny. Heck, my 9 yr old is almost 5'tall pushing one bill..........

If one would take the time to research the facts he would find that the Montbell SS bags have about 4" more girth than the Big Agnes. They are worth checking out.

14-Mar-08

pupper's Link
I have a montbell bag and it is super comfy and stretchy, I would recommend you reconsider the mummy design as it is more efficient for packing and insulation value.

14-Mar-08
Thanks for all of the info. I will look up all of these suggestions this weekend when off work.

I will consider all options.

best wishes, fisher

• Sitka Gear