Coolcop 14-May-08
>>>---WW----> 14-May-08
Marc W. 15-May-08
smarba 15-May-08
Cactusjumper 18-May-08
Kurve 18-May-08
Ky_Madman 18-May-08
14-May-08
does anyone have some plans to make a cloth elk decoy to put in a pack for a elk hunt?I am looking to make one on the cheap thanks to the price of gas.I wanted a montana decoy but its out of reach now.

14-May-08
I would look around the classifieds here and on other "archery" talk websites and find a used one. If you really want one, it really isn't that expensive compared to the overall cost of elk hunting. On top of that, I don't know how you'd build one that would fold up to fit in your pack and then easily fold out when you need it to.

GM

14-May-08
I used a faded carhart jacket last year. folded up just right looks like the rump of a elk.

14-May-08
A burlap bag is the right color. Paint a dirty white rump on it or just leave it plain. Works either way.

15-May-08

Mike the Cheesehead's embedded Photo
Here's one I made out of about $3 worth of tan felt and a little spray paint from Wal Mart. The dimensions are off a little and it probably looks more like a Herford bull, but you get the general idea.

The top is folded over and sewn to make a loop to run some chord through. I also have pouches sewn into the bottoms of the legs to put rocks in and weight it down.

15-May-08

Here it is packed up in a Ziplock

15-May-08

Here's one made by Smarba that looks better than mine.

I hope you don't mind me posting it Smarba.

15-May-08
Thanks Mike,That is just the idea I am looking for and one that I can afford.Marc

15-May-08
You beat me to it Cheese!

Unfortunately I have never had the perfect setup to say "this decoy helped me nail an elk".

Maybe this year...if I can only manage to pull a tag.

Carl

16-May-08
Yeah I know it looks like a cow. A little trimming with a scissors and a repaint and I should be able to make it a little more petite.

18-May-08
Mike the Cheesehead: GREAT Idea! As a charter member of the Mike's Cheapskate Club, I'm going to make a Texas version of your decoy.

Mike

18-May-08
i heard some bulls like fat chicks. i'd leave it as-is.

18-May-08
Those look great! Do either of you have any rough dimensions? Thanks

19-May-08
I'll measure mine up and get back to you.

Back when I made mine there was a discussion on here about the height from top of back to brisket on an elk. I based my dimensions on that and verified it by measuring my shoulder mounted bull.

• Sitka Gear