Barrera 21-Sep-16
IdyllwildArcher 21-Sep-16
HUNT MAN 21-Sep-16
Mossyhorn 21-Sep-16
flybyjohn 22-Sep-16
EJG 22-Sep-16
HH1 22-Sep-16
09-Aug-08
What do you do with respect to calling or hunting methods when the elk are completely silent?

09-Aug-08
Find a wallow. Set up so the wind is in your favor and you have cover. Get your ranges and figure out your shooting lanes.

Splash around in the wallow a bit and then go wait for an hour or so.

Look for choke points in their travel patterns like a saddle, fence crossing or something. Build a ground blind out of branches...be careful about the wind again. Ambush them when they come by.

Sometimes you can just rake a rub tree, squeal a little and not too loudly, and then keep an eye out for a silent responder.

Glass the slope across the valley and then spot and stalk one when you put them to bed.

Basically use your brain and knowledge of their habits to defeat their defense mechanism and kill them. Simple, but not easy.

09-Aug-08
The elk may be quiet but they still eat, drink and move around. Look for the favorite elk type areas (aspens mixed with timber) and you will find tracks and sign. Those tracks & sign will lead to you elk. Remember - If it looks "elky" - it probably is.

10-Aug-08
Even though the elk may be silent that does not mean that they won't respond. What I mean by them responding is that they will come in to your calling. What you can do is set up in an area where you find fresh tracks and do a calling routine of cow/calf talk with an estrus cry followed by a "location" bugle, wait 15 minutes and then repeat the sequence again. Sit and listen between the calling for any sound of approaching elk. Stay in the same place for 45-60 minutes before moving to your next set up. This is an effective way of calling in elk that are silent. Hope this helps.

Michael Batease

Bugling Bull Game Calls Pro Staff

10-Aug-08
What Steelyeyes said, but I would also periodically cow call in a soft low tone. Killed 4 bulls this way.Early in the rut bulls move around a lot and they are very curious.

10-Aug-08

ElkNut1's Link
During early season or when elk are quiet we don't play by just one set of rules or standard. We do play it by ear & are more patient & selective in our sounds. We have been known to get aggressive early on but they've been occasions where it was needed. We've taken herd type bulls late Aug. to 1st week of Sept in many years. Rare is the cow call the reason for success, it has at times but bull sounds generally is what puts them in the freezer or the combination of the 2.

We've taken bulls by setting up on trails leading from feeding to bedding areas, wallows/water sources. (trail cameras) We've taken them via Call & Stalk. (one of my favorites) We've taken them when they were totally silent yet accidentally bumped into cows on the way up the mountain, we run at the cows & scatter them & scream 1-2 times with sounds that a bull would use to call these cows to him. It's loud & raspy. We've brought bulls in on the dead run screaming like you've never heard with this method. We've setup & have done the "blind calling method" in elky (sign) areas too, thing is nothing but smaller bulls & spikes show first, it's low odds to pull a herd quality bull in ahead of the others with the standard cow calling & short bugle. To pull bulls in first you can increase your odds by creating the competitive spirit in nearby bulls (within earshot) instead of cows/spikes. Go through your cow calling, elk milling around feeding leisurely, do some light stomping & brush rustling to create the illusion. A couple cows & a calf are perfect, then inject a pre-estrus low volume nasally whine during your regular cow/calf sequence, only 2 or 3 times in a 30 second span, DO NOT OVERDUE THIS SOUND!! Most hunters carry on with pre-estrus whines way to much making it un-natural. Remember, we are not talking Peak Rut!! Now that roughly 2-3minutes have gone by from starting, turn around or move away from your cow calling & give a short high pitch type whistle, kinda like from a 5-point, wait 2 full seconds & give a series of 5-6 low volume rapid chuckles. This signifies to any elk within earshot that this bull has showed on the scene & is calling them to himself. Move back to where you cow called or just turn back around & wait one minute & start raking brush/branches, this shows this bull is "displaying" what he has to offer in an attempt to win them over! Remember cows choose the bull they want to be with! This sequence has proven to be a bull getter instead of a cow getter! (grin) During raking add a few very soft type pleads, wind down with your calling similar to how you started. Be willing to hold your position up to an hour. Setup is important, check wind & make sure you are covered that elk can't sneak in downwind of you. Force them to have to get into bowrange before they can see where sounds are coming from!

We do play it by ear early on when bulls aren't real vocal. At times we get into areas that has held elk for us in the past early on & advertise our position a 1/2 dozen times within 10 minutes or so, this generally will get the dander up just enough with any bull within earshot to come check you out, he doesn't recognize your sounds as a bull who was part of the bachelor groups he's been around in the last 5 weeks or so. Bulls are curious & want to know who each other are in a given area, they want to know what the competition is. Too, who's this bull that has come right into his living room & calling cows from right under his nose? Sometimes it provokes a bugle but in most cases it doesn't but they do show to see who you are! Once you use this method you must stay put for up t 30 min. By the way we also throw in some light stomping & raking as well, this is also a form of trying to attract the ladies & showing what they have to offer. All raking is not necessarily a challenging posture!

At any rate you can see we don't just do one thing, we evaluate an area, test it out with sounds & are willing to adapt to a given situation if things start unfolding NOT according to plan! (grin)

And one never to be overlooked is the lost or re-gathering cow/bull sound, yes, both use it, we've received responses or elk just "show up"from this early on, there are some cases when a bull will respond, one can tell the matureness of a bull by his response especially his ending. If it's a bull that interests us we will move in & give him what he wants, no bugling for him! If we happen to attract a bull with cows by calling for cows early on & he warns us to stay away then we move in close & give him what he doesn't want!! (grin) At times we must get aggressive even early on when the situation calls for it! Herd bulls can be very defensive in Aug--Sept.

If you're hunting areas where glassing can be done then pre-scouting with good optics can certainly come into play for location of these elk & then move in for a stalk or use any of the above to get their attention/interest! I find the better caller you are then the more believable you are & the more confident you are when it's time to use good elk talk! Knowing what you're saying is a HUGE part of our success, we do our best to "fit in" for both the time of year & use sounds elk expect to hear per encounter or time of month. I could go on & on but I think you get the idea of our style? (grin) It works well for us! Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul

10-Aug-08
If the elk are silent, calling will do no good, at best, and at worst, will drive them farther away.

If they're silent, revert back to the methods used before calling became the norm ... if it ever did become that.

The Old Sarge

10-Aug-08

ElkNut1's Link
Old Sarge, I'm going to take that as you are kidding, right? (grin) If not, wow!!

ElkNut1

10-Aug-08
Spot and stalk. Calling.

10-Aug-08
Thanks ElkNut, I intend to create more excitment this year instead of buying my time untill it happens on its own and then trying to react. Good luck

20-Sep-16
Since I can't elk hunt this year and I have some friends out hunting where I killed my bull last year but they are currently dealing with some silent elk I thought I would revive this thread to hear others thoughts on there strategies for tackling silent elk.

20-Sep-16
I'll preface my advise with my love of calling elk. My goal is to call a bull in when I shoot it.

If it is this time of year you can pretty much believe that the elk are rutting. It kind of depends on the hunting pressure in the area. Are the elk quiet because of the number of hunters in the area that are calling. If so realistic calling is real important.

Continue to move and continue to call. Look for real fresh sign and spend a little time there giving good calls. I've had great luck by getting in close to silent elk and getting them to respond. A bull that doesn't answer you at 300 yards might scream back when you're 100 yards.

I really like Elkaholicid's strategy and use it quite a bit. You pretty much don't know they are they until they crack a branch or step out.

20-Sep-16
I've even gone as far as calling after dark to locate for the next day. They have come in silent many times. We called in a reasonable 4x5 with elknut's dying elk routine once.

Called in plenty of rag horns just with a cow call when they were silent. But no shooters that way. At least not yet.

Sometimes I can locate with an estrus whine. They will give you a single short bugle back. You have to modify your calling. A full blown bugle can be seriously ineffective.

20-Sep-16
i'll preface by saying i'm still pretty inexperienced at elk hunting but my turkey hunting experience and small sample of elk hunting experience makes me always believe if i get reasonably close, even silent animals are often likely to respond.

i've had luck cold calling with the regathering technique and luck with getting close to likely bedding and wallow areas at mid day.

other than that, i try to get up extra early to be out there more in the dark, and then if suitable for the area, extra time to get to a suitable glassing area before dark.

and i am not shy about cold calling techniques as mentioned above.

20-Sep-16
It would really depend on the type of terrain you are hunting . The strategy that works best for us is to move to more open country and spend some time glassing. If the state you are hunting allows for communication between hunters and spotters all the better. Place some of your group on various vantage points with different views of the same area. I tend to hunt low quality high pressure units in the southwest and this is the best strategy we have. Another benifit is you don't waste time setting up on non shooters. I bet a lot of people would be surprised at the number of true giant bulls that are killed this way.

20-Sep-16
This was a big issue for me this year in Wyoming. Public land, the pressure wasn't high but it was there at times. Some areas I felt like we were the first ones in for the season and the elk were silent. Sign all over but they weren't saying a word. Very frustrating year.

I did get a herd to respond with an excited cow/estrus cold calling setup. Late evening and stayed mostly silent myself. Tried two locate bugles on my way into the area, no response. Setup and went into the excited cow talk with some estrus whines. After the second round of calling, I started hearing cow calls and then a bull bugle. So here I was with a bull with some cows. I moved up trying to close the distance and boom, there's a cow. BUSTED! She was way away from the herd, like 150-200 yards from the herd. I wasn't expecting an elk that close. Anyway, she busted back to the herd and they took off.

I waited a little bit and started walking up to my left. I hadn't gone 60 yards when I heard a loud snap straight ahead and there's an elk, with antlers. I just caught a glimpse but he was moving from right to left in front of me paying absolutely no attention to any of my calls I had made. Was unable to get on him after that.

Bummer of a season...

20-Sep-16
The elk may be more vocal than you think. Soft bugles and cows usually aren't too loud anyway...if they are quite, there is a reason.

There are other ways to call elk in other than the typical vocal sequence. Try breaking branches and whatnot. Elk are pretty noisy critters, actually, when they are just being elk.

20-Sep-16

20-Sep-16

21-Sep-16
Drive to the top of the highest overlook and break out your cow calls and chirp away. Don't forget to throw in some bugles while you're p there also. I'm just going by what I saw/heard on my HC mule deer hunt. :)

21-Sep-16
Had the early hunt this year in the gila. We filled 2 out of three tags. Elk were quite during the day. We got one early by beating them to thier beds and one at the end of shooting light by catching them moving to lower country. We should have gone 3 for 3 but I passed on younger bulls. Takes a bit more patience when they're quite but usually they still are on the thier usual routine.

21-Sep-16
I think that a lot of the time that people think that "the elk are quiet," it's because they're hunting where there are no elk.

People often find sign that is a day old and think it's newer. People often times find sign that is fresh and the elk only moved through there and are now a mile or two away.

People often times find bugling bulls and pressure them, causing them to move, and then say that the elk became quiet, when they actually are no longer in the area because of pressure or because they just moved on. Or Bubba blew them out and you didn't even know. Or a bear blew them out in the middle of the night... etc etc.

2 miles for an elk (as the crow flies, not gps miles hiked) is nothing. If you're not seeing or hearing elk or walking across steaming, fly-swarming, green poop, it might not be that they're quiet; they might be noisy as heck out of ear shot.

The last two years, I've talked to people in town that have said, "man, the elk sure are quiet," and we were in screaming elk that day.

21-Sep-16
What he said ^^^^^^^

21-Sep-16
That may be true Idyll... But while one group of elk may be vocal, another a few drainages away may be quiet.

There were four of us this year, hunting in pairs. We split up and hunted different areas every day, covering a ton of ground. The elk were quiet... We'd run calling set ups and then come to find there were elk within ear shot that never responded. Sometimes we'd get a bugle in response to our locate and that would be it.

The year prior, in the same area, you could pick nearly any drainage and find bulls that would readily respond to your locates. If that didn't work out, not a huge deal cause it wasn't hard to find another responsive bull. This year, not even close, it was totally different.

22-Sep-16
I think they are particularly quiet this year in my area. It might just be the number of bulls. I see cows almost every time out and have only heard one or two bugles on the fist weekend of the season. Not one bugle since then. Previous years the bulls would bugle at least till 9:00am in the morning before quieting down. This is the peak of the rut and if I am seeing cows, the bulls should be around but not making any sound. My game cameras this year only had one to two bulls on them pre season, where as last year, I had 6-7 bulls preseason. Maybe if there is only a couple bulls in my area, there is not enough competition to need to bugle.

22-Sep-16
well for what it is worth, i know my particular friends have proven several times this year that for them, it's been all about what area were they were in, and even then, certain areas that were hot one day with up to 3 bulls, went quiet a few days later - why is hard to say without being there

all that said - I think both Idyll and Mossy are correct and the key is realizing both things can be true things and you need to evaluate other things to determine which situation you are dealing with

really appreciate the input.

22-Sep-16
We call regardless of the silence. We have called in many a bull during those "quiet" times.

• Sitka Gear