Yendor 30-Sep-08
DonVathome 30-Sep-08
Snag 30-Sep-08
Heat 30-Sep-08
DonVathome 01-Oct-08
27-Sep-08

nijimasu's embedded Photo
So- experts- I found this track where there are plenty of deer, but I didn't think an elk would show his face. I did encounter some moo cows a mile or so away. any chance this is an elk? It would make my day if it were-

27-Sep-08

the next track-

27-Sep-08
I don't think moo cow!

27-Sep-08
I've never seen an elk track before, but that doesn't look like a cow track. Probably one of those hoofed sasquatches ;-)

27-Sep-08
Definitely elk.

27-Sep-08
I'm saying MOO. In the last pic, the print away from the hand has too rounded of 'toe' where elk are more pointed. Younger cattle tracks can easily be mistaken for elk as they haven't rounded their 'toe' yet. JMO

27-Sep-08
Chief has a point about that one track but the 1st pic sure does look like elk to me. I've seen that rounded toe sometimes on elk track when they take a half step and end up on their tippy toes so to speak. Notice how deep the toe is on that one and the track looks shorter?

27-Sep-08
I agree with Chief, 2nd pic looks like a bovine calf print to me. I could go either way on the first pic.

27-Sep-08
If it is a bovine it is a very large calf or a smaller yearling. Other than that it is elk.

27-Sep-08
I am a large animal veterinarian, rancher and elk hunter and that looks like an elk track to me.

27-Sep-08
Thanks for the input- I thought I might be losing it- I'd better carry a bow when I go down there tonight.

This is on WMA land and there should be no moo moos allowed on it, and there is an elk herd in the foothills nearby- hmm...

28-Sep-08
Been on a cattle ranch for 25+ years, I vote elk...

28-Sep-08
Elk track.

28-Sep-08
elk

28-Sep-08
The track could very well be a yearling bovine. I've read from a well known elk hunter that he had often tracked what he thought was an elk and have it turn out to be livestock. I have hunted elk where there are cattle several times and I would never bet the farm on identifying the tracks. I would take the bow and hope for the best. I've also been fooled between mule deer and domestic sheep. Shoot sharp - shoot straight. DD

29-Sep-08

DonVathome's embedded Photo
Lets here guesses about these pictures (I know the correct answer without a doubt) good test.

29-Sep-08
Elk

29-Sep-08
of yes please be sure if you are responding to my pic or original! I had trouble guessing some tracks to I took the time one year to photo each and I look at it before elk hunting each year if there will be moo cows around.

30-Sep-08
Elk first, cow second

30-Sep-08

one more

30-Sep-08
Bovine are usually more rounded, whereas, elk are more pointed. Now if you throw in llama tracks with elk tracks that can be confusing!

30-Sep-08
I saw a big mature bull in the flesh this year and went and looked at his tracks after he walked by. I've been elk hunting for a lot of years, but if I didn't see him leave them I would have sworn up and down, without question that it was a bovine track. Sometimes it is pretty hard to tell. The track I refer to looks a lot like DonV's photo without the snow.

My guess is that the track in the first pic posted was made by an elk.

Nick

01-Oct-08
I think I am going to start a separate thread to see how good you guys do!

• Sitka Gear