mohunter 25-May-09
gutpile addict 25-May-09
CJ Gregory 26-May-09
GrizzlyHunter 02-Jun-09
willboner 02-Jun-09
jims 03-Jun-09
COkid 03-Jun-09
15-May-09
Just curious as to what boot to buy on archery elk hunts. In past have used Rockys and Chippawa. I am looking for good support and light in weight. Any suggestions.

15-May-09
I like Lowa boots. I use the Lowa sheep hunters for backpack elk hunts and the Lowa Khumba GXT's for day or light bivy hunts.

15-May-09

CJ Gregory's embedded Photo
CJ Gregory's embedded Photo
Unless it snows.....wrestling shoes. LIght. Very good support. Can feel anything under you. Sole conforms to rocks and boulders. Fast. Quick. SAFE!!!!!

15-May-09
looks good but not cactus proof.

15-May-09
I have been doing a lot of research on boots lately for an upcoming AK sheep hunt. I have bought 4 pairs the past few weeks and returned 1 of them.

There are several classification of boot "types" light hikers, heavy hikers, and heavier mountaineering boots. I would steer clear of the mountaineering boots for most elk hunts. When I hunt elk I try to cover lots of country and the mountaineering style boots (Lowa Sheep Hunters, Lowa Tibets, Mendeils, etc) are designed for super support, are super heavy 4+ lbs, and stiff. They are designed for rock, cliffs, and extremely steep terrain and/or carrying super heavy loads. I bought a pair of Tibets and they are super comfortable but boy are they ever heavy!

I just bought a pair of Kenetrek Mtn Light Hikers and they are what I consider a medium weight boot (heavy hiker). If you have fairly decent ankles and prefer less support in exchange for lighter weight than mountaineering boots with ample support these would be a great choice. Mine weigh just over 3 lbs and have pretty could comfort and support. The Kenetrek Hardscrables are a little heavier but are all leather. I read nothing but good reports about the Hardscrabbles!

I have always hunted elk in light hikers. Most of mine are just over 2 lbs and I can cover lots of country in them and they have super quiet soles. The major problem I have developed in my old age with light hikers is stone bruises on the ball of my feet. I have super tough ankles so support has never been a problem. One of the better light hikers I've seen is the Lowa Renegades. I bought the Lowa Kody's because they were only $75 at Sierra Trading Post and have the same super quiet soles as the Renegades.,,although they don't have the rubber around the toecap they still have a gortex lining.

Everyone seems to have their own favorite brand and each guys feet are a little different. As I mentioned above I prefer to stay super mobile while elk hunting so my preference is super light weight and quiet boots.

One of the better gear sites is at: http://www.hardcoreoutdoor.com/ Look under "feet" for boots. Wade has helped me out a bunch with gear the past few months. You can also do web searches for reviews on particular boots you are interested in. The reviews are a great help as well!

15-May-09
I don't have finicky feet,about any kind of footwear works for me. My absolute favorite for CO archery elk hunting is these cheapies: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/mens-guide-gear-8-or-15-sneakers.aspx?a=535828 I buy them one full size larger than my size and they fit like a glove with my Smartwool hiking socks. Granted, after 2 solid months of scouting/chasing the elk the bottoms are worn but I buy them in lots of 3 pairs at a time(because I'm afraid they'll quit making them). I carry a pair of insulated boots for the one or two occasions the weather turns in the high country, but just as soon as it clears out,I'm back in these boots. Rocky made them,the last three pairs I got were Itascas, and now the Sportsman's Guide has their name on them. I haven't seen much difference in any of the brands and I have consistently bought one size larger and they fit right.

15-May-09

outdoorsaddict's embedded Photo
BTW, I have no knowledge of the taller size-don't think I'd like those. Here's a pic of the sneakers:

15-May-09
Danner Pronghorns-Light and waterproof

15-May-09
i have been very happy with my meindl denalis would not recommend the pronghorns light and comfortable but not waterproof your feet will get damp with them

15-May-09
I would love to hunt in these lightweights but I carry 45-50# into camp on my back for my week-long stay and I've got to have backpacking boots (Tibets) for that or my feet would be a wreck before I ever got started.

15-May-09
Meindle Island pros and Lowa Tibets. I have both of these and have been very pleased with each. Its really nice to have 2 pair that feel good. After a couple of days climbing around in 1 pair, another pair that fits just a bit differently really feels good.

15-May-09
I've used the Kenetrec Hardscrables and they are TOUGH and they're waterproof when treated correctly. I like them, a tad on the heavy side, but looking at their website the Hardscrables are 3.6 . When packing they are great for rocky trails and climing out of gullies or dropping into them. For hunting on top, when I don't have to climb I'd like to find something a tad lighter. JIMS I didn't see that model boot on their site where and when do you get your Light Hikers? Are they light than the Hardscrabbles??

15-May-09
Any timberland low-rise crosstrainer. Tough leather sides and very tough, SNEAKY soles. I love 'em in the rocks of the Pondy forests.

15-May-09
wrestling shoes and sneakers? where are you guys hunting? good grief.

16-May-09
Danner Pronghorns, but whichever you go with make sure they fit or you will be miserable.

16-May-09
Don't knock the wrestling shoes and sneaker idea. I hunt elk in the blue mountains of NE Oregon and have used the "silent stalker" sneaker that Cabellas used to make. I have used them for years. They look real similar to the ones on the left in outdooraddicts pic. above, although less even bulky. I bought an extra pair since I thought they may stop selling them and sure enough they have. They are kind of like a synthetic (Microtex fabric-just like their great clothing wear) Converse high top with a very low sole that is ribbed like the pic above. You can feel the forest floor great and you are real stable when stepping over and on top of wind fall since your foot is so low to the ground and since they have such a low center of gravity- just like a moccasin-you are less likely to roll your ankle. I have worn them with gore-tex liner socks with wool socks down to the 25-28 deg. temp range and my feet were not very cold. I would not use them with super heavy loads, but to hunt in they are superb. Dwight Schuh used to use them and probably still does in the mountains, also South Cox, a very good hunter in No. Calif. also has wrote about them and loves them.

I have also used the Danner precurser to the pronghorn (an uninsulated version);-which is a great boot- they alsoused to make a 400 gram version called the "Sequoia" and it was a great boot also. Mine has the Vibrum sole and I can't seam to wear it out at all, but a buddy of mine has the pronghorns with the Danner sole and they only last him about 2 seasons. My tops on my old ones (10) years are trashed, but the sole looks fantastic.

There are lots of boots for us hunters to choose from to use for different situations.

16-May-09
Cabela's/Meindl Perfekt Hunter - hands down the best pair of boots I've ever owned and there have been a LOT.

16-May-09
Kurve wrote: "wrestling shoes and sneakers? where are you guys hunting? good grief."

Sometimes the roughest terrain possible Kurve. lol

The clser your foot is to the ground or terrain the safer your ankles, knees and lower back are. The more ballance you have. I learned that from playing ball on astro turf. If I wear shoes or boots that have an elevated sole I know that there is more chance of injury. Leather uppers all the way too my knee won't make any diffrence.

Try it. YOu will only be out about 30 bucks.

16-May-09

BULELK1's Link
See my link....

I love these boots.....

I hunt elk in Wyoming and Utah most every year and they are great......

Cabela's Pinnicale....

Good luck, Robb

16-May-09
Hey Blue, they are on sale now! You better stock up in case they discontinue them! I like the Pronghorns myself! I have the Taluras by Danner for the rough stuff and heavy packing.

16-May-09
I concur with AZonecam, Cabela's/Meindl Perfekt Hunter excellent. And no they do not squeek. Used Nixiwax 2X and are now completely waterproof.

16-May-09
I prefer a lighter boot than ny Tibets for most elk hunting. I have a lighter Lowa model (name escapes me) that I like alot.

16-May-09
I had the same question as this will be my 1st elk season. I looked at Danner and many other but after spending alot of time chasing turkeys this Spring, I'm gonna wear my Rocky snakeboots during elk season. They have good support, great traction, they are super light, waterproof and I believe they will be plenty warm enough. Won't have to worry about snakes here but I think they will work great

16-May-09
Fishmagician, They are in the sale part of the Kenetrek website (kenetrek.com). The Kenetrek Mountain Light Hikers are currently on sale for $220 which is pretty good for the quality of boot! I put them on the scale and my size 11 are 3.4 lbs. I have wimpy feet and they hurt the balls of my feet so I'll have to buy new insoles.

I've found most of the advertised boot weights are as much as 1 lb off! It probably depends upon shoe size but they advertised my Tibets at just over 3 lbs and when I put them on the scale they are 4.6 lbs!

16-May-09

TD's Link
What Dr.Bob said. Those lightweight things are fine in some areas but MT and such the cactus will kill you. Those little buggers can flat ruin your day.

Love the Russell Moccasins. Never had a better fitting more comfortable boot. They custom build them to your feet and specifications. The model I have is the Stalker. From day one, never a blister, ever. Dozens of sole options, heights, shanks, etc. Waterproof with a good leather treatment, 9" uppers and I've waded creeks, wet grass, etc. weeks at a time and always stay dry as long as the water doesn't go over the upper tops or wick down your socks. Great ankle support and protection.

I just had them resoled to a soft rubber compound (brown Vibram). They have decent traction and support but are whisper quiet and flexible for stalking. They still have plenty of support for packing. I won't get nearly the wear as the hard black compounds, especially for normal use, but I can live with it. The lava has taken a chunk here and there but they're holding up real well so far.

Most places I hunt, taking off your boots and going socks for the final approach is not an option. Quiet is a premium, right after fit and support of course.

16-May-09
I have no complaints with Vasque. Stay away from the heavy boots unless you're hunting the later rifle seasons. For Utah, CO, NM, AZ, not much of a boot is needed person pending I suppose.

16-May-09
My suggestion is not Rockies. I have a pair of Lowa Sheephunters. They are very good, but not quite wide enough for me. I am leaning towards trying Mendls or Kenetechs next time. I also have a pair of low cut Danners for early season day hunt and scouting.

16-May-09
My suggestion is Lowa Sheep hunters or cabelas elk hunters Lowa lots of support for me I hike with 30 lbs all the time so I can stay wherever need be!

18-May-09
I have the Meindl fit IQ boots and they are the best I have found to date..... Terry

18-May-09
I have a pair of Danner Jackels - they are very close to a wrestling shoe but with gortex so a bit heavier. I highly reccomend them with my only concern being the glued on soles but I have had them 2 years now with no problems. I also have the Pronghorns and love them. A really good friend of mine is a guide here in Colorado and he swears by the wrestling shoes. He will even wear them into 2nd rifle - not my first choice though. Also, not much cactus around where we hunt so .....

18-May-09
Last year I asked the same question. Many here liked the Danner Pronghorn boots. I went with there suggestion amd bought a pair. They were a great choice. No break in period no sore feet for my 25 day hunt. I will buy another pair this year so I can switch off every other day.

18-May-09
Lowa Tibets for spike camp hunts when I will be packing a heavy pack in and hopefully packing meat out and need one pair of boots to get me through several days.

Danner Pronghorns for day-hunts out of basecamp when not packing a heavy load for great distances.

18-May-09
Damn you guys spend a lot of money on boots. LOL

It makes me tired thinking about you tramping up and down the rockies in them.

18-May-09
I bought a pair of the Jackals from Danner last year and they held up well. I like them because they are like a cross between a boot and a wrestling shoe. You can feel through them enough to stay quiet and they are relatively light. I don't think that they will hold up like the old rebuildable American made Danners. Another down side is they don't have a heel and that makes them a poor choice for horsebacking.

18-May-09
Last years Bull, Buck and SpeedGoat in my BOOMBAH Softball Turfs...I do wear heavier/tougher Boots when the weather/terrain may call for it though.

18-May-09
It appears that everyone's boots vary by how you're hunting.

Backpackers carrying big loads for multiple days of camping/hunting are in the "heavier" boots (Tibets, Sheep Hunters, Kenetreks, etc).

Dayhunters are in lightweight boots. I could be wrong. Does anyone pack in 50# in tennis/wrestling shoes?

I'm wondering if this also varies by age. Over the years my feet have grown intolerant of abuse. I wrestled from elementary school thru 4 years of college and we even did our running in those wrestling shoes but those same shoes would NOT cut it for my elk hunting today. Boot weight is not a consideration for me with a heavy pack. I've got a lot of other areas to drop weight.

18-May-09
"Does anyone pack in 50# in tennis/wrestling shoes? "

Wrestling shoes. 200 lbs. of elk meat on my back.

Here is my point about boots and footwear. The closer your foot is to the ground, the least likely that you will twist a knee or turn an ankle. The higher your foot is the more you will require smoother ground with less obstacles or exposed rock to prevent injury.

There are a lot of misconceptions. I don't care if your leather uppers go all the way to your knees. If you step wrong with 200 lbs on your back your ankle is going to turn. Thus there is more chance of something much more serious. BACK INJURY. You blow a disc at 10,000 ft. your in a world of hurt. Wear what you want. Free country.

18-May-09
>>Wrestling shoes. 200 lbs. of elk meat on my back.<<

My hat's off to you. I'm wrong.

18-May-09
Lost Arra, I am definitely with you on this one. I used to hike and hunt for days in steep, rocky terrain w/light hikers or Nike running shoes but as I age the bottom of my feet just can't handle the stone bruises anymore. I do a lot of hiking and standing on my feet all day at work and seem to need more foot protection than I needed in my 20's and 30's. I now prefer light hikers if I know I'll be covering lots of miles/day and if not some of the stiffer mid weight hiking boots sure feel great on my feet and they are great on rock with the added foot protection. My ankles are super tough so I really don't need the support of a high boot (in most situations) and kind of prefer the flexibility of a lower cut boot.

I dispise wearing overly heavy boots but have been hiking every day in my Tibets trying to get used to the 4.6 lb weight for an upcoming AK trip. I will likely try a mid weight hiker in AK (Kenetek Mtn Light Hikers) and if that doesn't work I may be living in my Tibets up there.

I would caution any of you young whipper-snappers out there that if you continue to wear non-padded wrestling type shoes into your 30's you may pay for it when you are in your 40's. I used to say the same exact thing as you but now I am paying the price! It certainly is nice having a super light weight hiking shoe with little padding but you may end up changing once you get a little older?

18-May-09
"Here is my point about boots and footwear. The closer your foot is to the ground, the least likely that you will twist a knee or turn an ankle. The higher your foot is the more you will require smoother ground with less obstacles or exposed rock to prevent injury."

That's the truth.

18-May-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
I agree with bb.... Here's what I wear hunting when it's warm out.... nice and silent... and for my personal style... perfect. To each his own!!!

Couldn't resist!

18-May-09
have worn lots of them. danner's are the worst. cabelas pinnacle's are great. have a pair of the 7" and will get a pair of the 9". also had a pair of the silent stalk sneakers as mentioned above, loved the old ones hated the new ones and let cabelas know that. i also love the meindl boots, a little heavy for early season but what a great over all boot!

19-May-09
The right boot depends a bunch on where you hunt. Wrestling shoes may work in some places, but in some places (AZ and SW NM come to mind) the bottoms of your feet would be bruised in no time. The last time I hunted AZ I ripped 8 air bobs of a brand new pair of Danners in a week's time on the rock.

19-May-09
That reminds me of the last elk hunt I did in AZ. I wore a pair of the Cabelas high top sneakers, I don't remember what they calle dthem and I can't be bothered looking it up. But after the 3rd day I lacing up the shoes but walking on my socks.

19-May-09
I can see where wrestling or mocassin type shoes would be a definitely advantage for the "final approach". They don't weigh much so could be put in a pack until needed? Another option would be to put on a super heavy pair of socks or Bearsfeet. Obviously this wouldn't work very well in cacti country!

19-May-09
matt wrote: "The right boot depends a bunch on where you hunt. Wrestling shoes may work in some places, but in some places (AZ and SW NM come to mind) the bottoms of your feet would be bruised in no time."

Your right matt and jims said the same in another way. They are not THAT thin soled. However I do not run into cactus in the high country. I'm sure that would cause a change of tactics.

I think I like those "full draw" boots that cabelas sells. I might try them. They have laterel stiffener straps across the bridge of the foot just like a wrestling shoe. This does stabalize and prevent ankle roll. I'm sure there are many different options. Its a HUGE market.

19-May-09
"Damn you guys spend a lot of money on boots. LOL"

I didn't used to but I learned... :-)

"However I do not run into cactus in the high country"

We have cactus at 7-8K foot elevations here in AZ... I used to do the wool sock final approach tactic when I lived in Oregon and hunted the coast range. I only tried it once here in AZ. A Cholla ball in the sole of your foot is something you will remember for a long time :-) Terry

19-May-09
I used to be all for taking off the boots and doing the final in socks...until I did a stalk in SE NM a few years back. Unfortunately my route took me through 200 yards of goat heads. If that wasn't bad enough, I mis-marked the bucks, had to hike back to my boots, relocate and go back down through that mess. My thumbs were literally raw from pulling the dozens of goat heads out of my feet by the time I got back to my boots (thank god I was a beach kid growing up as my feet are nails because of it).

Now I use an over-boot or just go really, really slow. Even in heavy boots you can stalk quietly if you can identify what plants in your area are more prone to make noise, learn how to put your feet down properly, and take small/controleld steps.

19-May-09
well if you have a lot of cactus then it sucks to be you guys. lol

20-May-09
I feel like I have got a pretty good system for where I hunt. I have a lightweight pair of Salomon Mission GTX Hikers that are goretex 2.5lbs per pair and perfect for early elk. The flexible sole is good for sneaking around. If hunting later in the season or in extremely rugged areas, I have the Kenetrek Hardscrabbles which I love, they weight a little over 3.5lbs but can handle anything.

21-May-09

Meleagris1's embedded Photo
Meleagris1's embedded Photo

Meleagris1's Link
Here is a picture of the Salomon Mission GTX, been wearing them hiking the last few days (looking for indian arrowheads) and they are fantastic, exactly what I wanted, very lightweight, soles are quiet, flexible and grippy, goretex, etc. Brand new for 2009 and I got them on sale at EMS for $108. Link shows a pic of the hardscabbles that I will use when temps dip.

21-May-09
"well if you have a lot of cactus then it sucks to be you guys. lol "

Don't you know AZ has a 400 bull behind every tree?.... :-) Terry

21-May-09
It may even be possible Terry. lol But you don't have all that many trees compared to other places.

I just don't think it would be much fun to elk hunt in my own state every 2 to 3 years because I have to rely on the draw. Arizona has some nice ground for elk hunting. Been there. There are just not enough elk to hunt them every year unless you have an "in" to draw. The outfitters get tags though. Interesting setup.

21-May-09

piton's embedded Photo
piton's embedded Photo
I love these shoes, I ware them till it gets really cold out. The only thing I don't like about them is there traction on rock sucks (wet or dry).

24-May-09
This has one of the most funny forums I've read in a long time! Especially the guy who said we spend alot on boots. Yes, I do and my feet support my back also! I have two pairs of Danners. The first is the elk hunters by Cabelas and they are heavy but they can be re-soled. Something to be said for that. The other pair is the pronghorns and they are much lighter and are gore-tex lined also. I prefer the higher boot than the hikers because when I'm crossing a creek I STAY DRY!

24-May-09

So,huntingbob-you're saying I probably didn't have very good boots to backpack in in 2000,huh? I used the Cabelas marsh rubber boots in the wilderness area the whole hunt since it was wet and foggy the entire time I was there. I think I paid 28.00 for them. Kept my pants legs dry and worked hauling the Alice pack up and down. I probably need to work on my equipment some........

25-May-09
Huntingbob wrote: "Especially the guy who said we spend alot on boots."

You liked that? lol Well keep in mind bob that I woud rather NOT wear boots and DONT believe they support anything if the heal is even 1/2" higher than the rest of your sole.

If you want the best ankle support I've ever see you get a pair of jungle boots and lace them tight. There is nothing better anywere but I hated them in the corps and I still do. That sole is so hard that it is brutal on yor lower legs and feet.

Even though I don't agree with it, there are guys who don't believe camoflage does anythig to increase your odds. I just happen to think boots are very missleading. Try the wrestling shoes once. If you need it put gel pads in them.

25-May-09
I'm with bob ....for me anyways .......1st thing waterproof....2nd good ankle support.....3rd good traction ....4th warm......5th..comfortable ........the boots I found that met the first five criteria were a pair of non insulated irish settter 8 inch gore tex boots. if you look for all those things, I think you can't go wrong if you buy something that is missing even one of those propertys you may regret your purchase

25-May-09
I used those Dwight Schue hunting sneakers and hated them. On steep wet sidehills anything without grip and you are going downhill fast. On rocky ground my feet were killing me after a day. I have more problems with slipping and sore feet than rolling my ankles. My feet have chnged over the years and boots that used to be comfortable are not. I have a lot of hunting boots[8 pairs]. I see them and I will buy them. I have finally found a pair that I really like. Danners, they were spendy. Just what Buck Sergeant describes. A little on the heavy side but at the end of the day my feet feel fine.

25-May-09
It appears obvious that I was blessed with "easy to please" feet because I've never had a problem with footwear my entire life thus far(57 yrs.). I spent 11 years wearing military boots:Genesco basic training issues,jungle boots,Corcoran jump boots-no problems-I wore boots 5-7 days a week daily to work as a policeman:Danner Acadias,Bates,Rockys,etc... No problems there....so I guess that is just one more thing I can thank the good Lord for--sounds like a bunch of folks have feet quirks..or maybe since I "lived" in boots my feet became more tolerant...anyway,for my CO trips I'll continue to use the ones I alluded to until they quit making them. And pocket the extra cash for another fun trip somewhere else.....AND I promise I'll quit posting on these type of threads as I'm obviously out of sync of what GOOD gear is.... lol.........

25-May-09
I just switched to some solomon fast packers. I love them. Light wieght and gortex. I wore danners for to years. They are to heavy and the traction on rocks was horrible. On top of that i was going through a pair every 8 months to a year. I have worn my salomons on a bunch of horn hunting trips, a couple scouting trips, and one 5 day backpacking trip and they are awesome. I made a compromise with the wife. I want trail shoes but have an ankle i had surgery on so being and occupational therapist she said no to the low top shoe. These are basicaly just a mid top trail shoe and fit the bill perfect. light as all get out and a little ankle support too.

25-May-09
I have recently purchased a set of Danner Pronghorns. I dont like the 8 inch height. But I like the comfort.

26-May-09
Jump boots are good boots outdooraddict. I wore them in Beirut actually. I just had a cobbler put vibram waffle stompers on them the year before when I was at 1st Marine Brigade in Hawaii.

There is a place and purpose for boots I just try to avoid all that friggin weight when I can.

02-Jun-09
I have the Lowa Tibet GTX. They have incredible support, waterproof, good traction, un-insulated which is perfect for archery season. The only drawback is they're a little heavier then what I would prefer. They also run about 1/2 size small.

All in all a fabulous boot!

02-Jun-09
Elk wear boots now???????? Just joking, I like Irish Setter boots. Light,warm and comfy.

03-Jun-09
If you are looking for boots you may want to check out the Sierra Trading Post website? I have gotten 3 pairs between $75 and $150. That's about 50 to 70% off the regular price. If you watch you can also get 20% off coupons w/free shipping. I got a pair of Scarp Mustangs, Lowa Kody, and the Lowa Tibets. All 3 are great boots...the Kody is super light with very quiet sole, Scarps are medium wt and are super comfortable, and the Lowa Tibets super stiff but tough as nails (but as mentioned above is heavy). I got the Tibets for $150 and they usually run over $300!

You may want to try on the size at a shop near you before ordering to make sure you order the right size. I returned a 4th pair that I really didn't like and there was no squabbles. Other than that I got my boots delivered in 2 days and service was great!

03-Jun-09
I got a pair of the Meindl Perfekt Hikers for Christmas. I think I got them in 12's and they look more like the Alaskan Hikers. I love them now, but we will have to see how much I love them after September ;-)

-Ty

• Sitka Gear