ILLINI78 25-Sep-15
SteveB 25-Sep-15
bighorn 25-Sep-15
DWinVA 26-Sep-15
ILLINI78 26-Sep-15
DWinVA 28-Sep-15
Bou'bound 28-Sep-15
28-Feb-10
Has anyone hunted with Silver Spur Outfitters in Colorado? If so how was your experience? Thanks in advance.

God Bless!

28-Feb-10

28-Feb-10
I've not hunted with them, but have seen the ground that they have under lease in WY, and talk about a game reserve!

28-Feb-10
Not to mention the land they own in Colorado.

28-Feb-10
I know where their land is at in Colorado - Lotsa cows and some decent bulls - not sure if Id hunt there tho

28-Feb-10
My father-in-law booked us a hunt for 2nd season rifle. so far they have been friendly on the phone...

28-Feb-10
I'm sure you'll have a great hunt. I don't see how you couldn't.

01-Mar-10
Lots of elk in the area, and very easy terrain to hunt. I hunted some land right next to theirs this last season. Saw plenty, just no bowshots. There are some really nice elk in the area, but the norm is your usual OTC 2-3 yr old 5x5

01-Mar-10
Thanks for the info guys. I'm after a cow elk for my first one so it sounds like a good place to start.

God Bless.

01-Mar-10
Have hunted with them several times. Trent & Sheryl have a great set up. They have fully guided one on one with a lodge or semi-guided drop camps. Will tailor the hunt to your needs. Good Luck, 4W

03-Mar-10
Just booked a hunt with them. Heard nothing but good things about their outfit.

03-Mar-10
For those hunting on Silver Spur you may want to consider adding an antelope hunt if possible. this is good antelope country. Another suggestion is to being the fishing rod along. There's some great fishing there on up in to Wyo.

Silver Spur does some fishing trips also. Something to consider.

04-Mar-10
Has anyone done a drop camp in Colorado OTC area with them? Looking for an option if I do not draw Montana.

04-Mar-10
there are no fish in that part of the world. wouldn't even bother with a rod/reel. not worth it3.

04-Mar-10
Thanks for the info.

God Bless.

05-Mar-10

Medicine Bow's Link
"there are no fish in that part of the world. wouldn't even bother with a rod/reel. not worth it3"

Since this is debate free i'll post a link showing the fishing possibilities.

05-Mar-10
What units do they hunt? Are their hunts all private land or public and private?

08-Mar-10
All private land in units 32, 33, and 42.

08-Mar-10
There is a Silver Spur Ranch/Spur Outfitters in WY/CO

There is Silver Spur Outfitters in CO

FWIW

08-Mar-10
The one I'm looking at booking with is Silver Spur Outfitters in western, CO.

God Bless.

08-Feb-14
Four years have passed and I've yet to make it elk hunting. Looks like it will finally happen either this fall or fall of 2015. Has anyone got any new input on Silver Spur Outfitters in CO? I've started emailing with them again and may pull the trigger on their High Country Archery Hunt. Thanks.

God Bless.

08-Feb-14
I did in 2011 on their main Ranch. Nice people, and good camp but on the ranch you don't really get to hunt except in blinds as they are afraid to blow the elk off the ranch. I really don't care for that type of hunting and would not do it again. I did get one shot at a small 6x6 about 55 yds and missed just high. The high country hunt might be better.

08-Feb-14
I live 5 miles from were the hunt elk. PM me if you want. Great people.

09-Feb-14
Arrowed a bull a few hundred yards from SS colorado ranch one year. Elk were streaming onto public right into my lap.

09-Feb-14
We did not have any luck with elk during our rifle hunt, a few mule deer were taken out of the group of 8-hunters...great people that worked hard for us but the elk were not around. So it goes some times. Perhaps the high country archery hunt would be better. Good luck.

10-Feb-14
Thanks for the information. There is always something else to spend the money on but I'm not getting any younger.

Go Bless.

10-Feb-14
I hunted with them in 2010. I was supposed to hunt the last week in September on the main ranch (Starbucks I think they call it) but another group wanted to book the entire ranch so we got bumped up to the third week in September. Actually Trent asked if we would move our hunt up a week and in return gave us the chance to hunt the Smith Ranch which is their high county hunt for 3 days. So I got to hunt the low country for 3 days and the high country for 3 days. I agree with Steve B on the main ranch hunt. Most of your hunting will be in blinds over water in the evenings. I will say we did see some elk on the main ranch. My dad had a 300 inch elk at 90 yards screaming like crazy for over a half hour in a hay field just east of camp on our fist evening there. I was in the next field and saw the elk come down the mountain and head his way so that was pretty cool. I had a cow and calf come to a water hole I was on also. That was about all the action we had on the main ranch in 3 days. The high country camp was much more enjoyable for me. More elk talking. More elk hunting. They do sit some water up there too. If I was going to hunt with them again it would be the high country and probably the first or second week of September. To answer your question...My dad and I had a good experience with Silver Spur. PM me if you want some more info.

10-Feb-14
I hunted with silver spur in the fall of 2012 in there high country camp "I DO NOT HAVE FAVORABLE THING TO SAY ABOUT THERE OUTFITTING." to started I have been on over 15+ big game hunts across North America and have never complain about a operation before. I have been on good and bad hunts both successful and unsuccessful hunts.To start he is in a good area that has alot of game and has an outstanding wrangler.Know the problems we had.There was 3 of us in camp myself my friend [both with 30 years of archery exp.]and a Dr. from Neb. Day 1 we was give a 19 year old guide who had never hunted or knew this area ,[the guide told us he was only up here once in the summer with Trent] he got lost did not know how to read a GPS we had to show him. we hiked all day not hunting. that PM they was a heat discussion between him and the head guide in the guides tent later maps was brought out.Day 2 I went to a tree stand that overlooks a water hole.after 1 1/2 hours I was told to get out that we was packing out to the lower camp 3 mile walk back to camp and 5 mile walk to lower camp. Frustrated that day. the next morning I ask if Trent would be coming i would like to talk to him. I was told no he is at a differant camp and we would not see him all week. [The guide knew that everbody was in camp upset] Day 3 placed in a tree stand late the guide [Cody then proceed to walk in circles 200 yds around my stand with my hunting partner] after my friend said something they went on a ridge and the guide slept all day .He picked me up an hour before sunset. Day 4 started in AM set my buddy by a water hole and we proceed to the top of the ridge where he sat ,slept and txt his girl friend all day. That Pm my buddy shot a cow, he said he heard her crash about 80+ yds away it was starting to get dark. we followed a very heavy blood trail for 40 yds and guide insist on stopping and refused to go where he heard the cow crashed. The area we stopped at had 2 circles of blood 3 ft in Dia. That Pm we insist on going back and he refused even though we had warm conditions.*** That Pm the other Head guide cut his finger back at camp and our guide passed out on the sight of his blood !!!!! The last day- the cow elk was retreived in the exact spot he heard it crash with a heavy blood trail the whole way### The meat was taken to the packers in Silt where the butcher said all the meat was spoiled and had to be throw away### The last day we returned to the same ridge where we was the day before and he did the same slept ,and txt. that Pm the Dr. left camp with the Head guide and went to talk to Trent about all the problems our guide just left camp and left use with the wrangler. The following morning we left and contacted Trent about all the problems he just blew it off even though he knew there was problems up there all 3 people complain on what took place. I have a album full of pictures of what took place we also took a video Trent refused to even look at this. He ask me to talk to the head guide up there and when i called him he admitted there was a problem as of yet Trent has never got back .

10-Sep-15

DWinVA's embedded Photo
DWinVA's embedded Photo
Hunted with these folks this season and I can't speak highly enough of them. The guides were great, the tent and cabin was great and the food was great. Neither one of us killed an elk but we made memories for a lifetime. Now the challenge is how soon can we get back out there after the elk.

God Bless.

10-Sep-15
Heading out Saturday to hunt with silver spur. We're the elk bugling when you left?

11-Sep-15
We did hear some bugles but we had no luck calling them in. I would think by going later you will hit it pretty good. We did the high mountain hunt, which one are you doing? Good luck.

God Bless.

11-Sep-15
Going to the triple j ranch

12-Sep-15
Good luck and have a great time.

God Bless.

21-Sep-15
Highly recommend these guys. Had a great time there, and killed a nice bull. Had shot opportunities 2 out of the 3 days I hunted at pope and young bulls, and that didn't include the bull we were chasing. Food and guides were awesome, as was Trent and Cheryl.

24-Sep-15
Good going. How about some pictures?

God Bless.

24-Sep-15
Update?

25-Sep-15

ILLINI78's embedded Photo
Pics are a little dark that I took with my phone, waiting on some better ones to be sent

25-Sep-15

25-Sep-15
Way to go!! Looks like it was a great hunt. Hope you will share the story.

25-Sep-15
My Uncle and Cousin been going there for last 7-8 yrs bring back nice animals every year. Here nothing but good things about there operation.

26-Sep-15
Good going. Awesome elk. Did you get it from the tent or the cabin? Was it bugled in? Would love to hear the story.

God Bless.

26-Sep-15
I hunted the lodge at triple j ranch. We got there on Sunday afternoon, and after shooting the bow and getting everything settled in, we went out and did some glassing. We went to an alfalfa field that they have spotted a good bull on the last 2 nights, and he was there again with some cows. Monday morning we went up the side of the mountain by the field, but he beat us up. We went down to the field and figured out the best spot for a ground blind, since he came to the field the last 3 nights. Got everything set up, and ready for the evening, and as you can guess, he never showed up. We heard bugles that night coming from the other side of the ridge, so we decided to head that direction on the morning. We found him right at daylight, got to about 100 yards, guide gave a few cow calls and had him screaming at us. First time ever been apart of that, and was one of the most amazing things. The cows with him ended up winning out though, and took him away. Tuesday night I sat in a different ground blind near where we saw him that morning. About 1/2 hour before dark, I had 9 cows/calves, a small bull, and a bull about the size of the one I shot come off of the mountain and into the field, and missed the bull at 50 yards. Wednesday we got on top of the ridge, seen some elk, but was a quiet morning for the most part. Wednesday evening we decided to head to the ground blind I sat in Monday night. About 6:20 I noticed a cow and calf to my right in the alfalfa, about 10 minutes later, noticed movement out of the corner of my eye, and 15-20 yards in front of me was the bull I shot. By the time I got the bow ready and in a position to shoot, he got out to 40 yards, where I shot him. He went about 60 yards and died in the field. One of the most amazing scenes of my hunting life. About 10 minutes later, I see the big bull we had been chasing come over the crest and enter the field. Not one bit of remorse though. Had my first bull laying there, and got to watch the other bull for 45 minutes. Had a great time!!!

28-Sep-15
Thanks for the story and congrats again on the bull.

The area we hunted was also called the Triple J Ranch but it was up in the mtns. The first 3 nights we stayed in a wall tent that was reached by a 2 hour ride on horses and mules. On hunt day 3 we hunted the 3 miles or so down to the cabin and finished out our hunt there.

We did take a shower at the lodge before hitting the road home.

Like you, we had a great time hunting with those guys.

God Bless.

28-Sep-15
well done

• Sitka Gear