Outdoordan 13-May-10
Outdoordan 13-May-10
Jaquomo_feral 14-May-10
withaknife 17-Jul-15
cityhunter 17-Jul-15
Mule Power 19-Jul-15
withaknife 18-Aug-15
12-May-10
Anybody seen this? It's a company out of Canada. The price is right no doubt (includeds frames/16 oz canvas, amongst other items). It seems ready to go for less than 1/2 price of Montanta and others. Read the description...

Too good to be true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/12x20-Canvas-Wall-Tent-Water-Proof-FRAME-PORCH-12x14-/370354079639?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563ad2c797

I'm in the market, let me know of your suggestions.

Thanks.

12-May-10

Gundy's embedded Photo
Gundy's embedded Photo

Gundy's Link

12-May-10

Hardcorehunter's embedded Photo

Hardcorehunter's Link
Here is my suggestion, and what I am currently doing. Taking a military parchute and converting it to a huge 14-18 man tipi and it will only weigh approx 12-15 lbs,minus the center pole and stakes, handle the highest winds, and be warm because it will have a wood burner in it. I am going to do like huskyrunnr did in the pics I provided of his. I just bought this at a local military surplus store last night for $29. This will be easy and the 2nd wood heated tipi I will have.

12-May-10

12-May-10

12-May-10
click on my link, and there are other links in that thread where huskyrunnr explains how he did it.

12-May-10

Hardcorehunter's Link
here you go

12-May-10
Hard to say if it's a deal it looks pretty good, I don't care for the heading saying the frame is included when the listing says it's just the angle kit?

I'm sure a Davis with all the options would cost a bit more but maybe not a lot and you could choose your options. My second wall tent has a door at each end which I much prefer when it's warm.

If you do buy it be sure and let us know how it works out.

12-May-10
Sorry I didn't read the advertisement... But if cheaper means lower quality canvas(not all equivalent ounce canvas is the same) it's life span and durability may not be to par. Didyou read the canvas explanation on Davis Tents website. It's good.

12-May-10
I would give them a call the put a number right on the page and ask them about everything it says and why its going for so cheap. compare what they say with another company

13-May-10
16oz that sound really heavy and stiff. I have 3 davis tents. love them.

13-May-10

scrapwood's Link
After selling my camper in October, I replaced it with a 12x14 from these guys. I got the tent, fly and angle kit. I just got the EMT to build the frame and will (hopefully) be working on that project this weekend. My farrier is welding up some beefy stakes for me out of 5/8" rebar. I also got a four dog stove, it's not packable but will be used when truck camping. Just another option, hope it helps!

13-May-10
I bought a 14 x 16 from Davis. Out of my own foolishness while trying to toss it up into the back of my truck I snagged the roof on my tailgate and tore a hole in it.

I contacted Davis and they provided me the material to repair it free of charge.

Like so many things in life, I suspect that cheaper may turn out to cost more in the long run.

13-May-10

Outdoordan's embedded Photo

Outdoordan's Link
You can rent or buy one from us! 16'16' pyramid tent with stove jack. Easy to put up, no frame (except a center pole) weighs only 18 lb. These are custom built by a guy in Idaho tired of lugging a 75 lb. canvas tent into the Selway Bitteroot Wilderness in Idaho. Awesome tents with plenty of space. Check them out.

We are a bowsite sponsor.

13-May-10

Inside.

14-May-10
As an owner and longtime user of several wall tents from the reputable, well-known makers, if you are in the market and don't mind cutting some EMT for the frame, it is worth a shot. Good weight canvas, and the price is right.

I'd recommend treating the roof with a good canvas treatment, then tarp it when it is up for extended periods. Will add many years to the life. Other than that, don't see how you can go wrong for the price. If I needed one that size, I'd take a chance.

If you ever need to repair leaks in a roof, Tear-Mender and some surplus canvas will permanently fix it in camp in minutes. We learned this after getting bombed by tree limbs after a snow storm. I always keep a bottle of Tear-mender and a swatch of canvas in camp now.

17-Jul-15

withaknife's embedded Photo
withaknife's embedded Photo
I love the parachute idea. Is it waterproof?

My brother, Justin, owns a tent company that I can definitely recommend. Of course, I'm biased because he's my brother, but I've been really impressed with his tents. The company is called Elk Mountain Tents. He uses a sturdy polyester for the canvas.

17-Jul-15
hell dan good to see u

19-Jul-15
Gundy's link goes to eBay. That seller is the same one as Scrapwoods link which is the Wall Tent Store in Moscow Idaho.

I can highly recommend that guy's tents. His tents are as good as it gets. I have use them all too: Colorado, Montana Canvas, Davis etc etc. For that reason I can't believe his price AND free shipping.

They do NOT come with a frame which would be expensive and foolish to ship. Just the angle kit. You just go buy 1 inch EMT electrical conduit and make the poles.

He is the only place I buy mine anymore.

He has a business partner in Canada selling the exact same thing. I was unable to find the one in the original post but I would bet it is him.

18-Aug-15
I forgot to give the link: www.elkmountaintents.com

You can order the frame online but most people don't, so he includes instructions on making your own.

• Sitka Gear