nmwapiti 11-Mar-15
bad karma 12-Mar-15
CAS_HNTR 12-Mar-15
LUNG$HOT 12-Mar-15
11-Oct-10

ElkNut1's embedded Photo
ElkNut1's embedded Photo

ElkNut1's Link
So, how did everyones Pack perform this year? It seemed like many were trying out New Packs this year with all the talk about them. I was no exception, as my son & I did the same.

With so many always wondering which pack they should choose for their elk hunts & style of elk hunting I thought this may be a good thread for those undecided or just looking for a new Pack!

Not everyone packs meat on their backs, some have stock at their disposal so they may choose a different pack than those who pack meat & carry daily supplies!

We do not have Stock/Horses & such so we pack all elk on our backs so we look to packs that will double as all day packs & meat haulers all in one, this works for us!

We have used the Badlands 2200 for this for the last few years & it has done well, BUT, this year we tried the Eberlestock X2, it's smaller in height & is 1800" which is a very good size for us but it will pack out elk quarters no problem! With it's outside the Pack meat carrying capabilities it's a great consideration.

In packing out the 1st elk with it the load felt low & pulling me back, I thought crap this isn't good at all. As soon as we were nearly back with the quarters my Son noticed the front adjustable straps were not pulled very tight & that may be the problem, I thought they were high enough but it was worth a try!

So another elk went down we pulled the straps to top of pack & I packed a quarter out on the X2 & sure enough it was like a different pack, it packed the meat very nice & I was a happy camper.

We got another elk down & this time I decided to pull out the 2200 & pack 2 quarters in 2 trips with it to see & feel the comparison to the X2 since I had it fresh in my mind & back! (grin) It did just fine but I liked the X2 better! On the 4th elk down the X2 got the nod & no problems at all, that is one tough pack guys & gals!

Here's a good photo of the X2 in action! My son is on the right side in the black shirt & that's the X2 on a 2 1/2 mile trip out!

So how did your pack rate this year? Feel free to RATE more than one pack if you used several. Just a simple A-B-C-D is fine in your rating & please mention your height too. Do you pack meat with it or you don't!

I'll go 1st, X2-A I'm 5'7-1/2" 2200-B Yes, we packed meat!

A-Very Good

B-Good

C-Average

D-Poor

Feel free to add any additional info that may help out someone else on the Pack you used!

ElkNut1

11-Oct-10
I've only used mine for training with 40lbs of barbell weights in it walking a mile or 2 a few times a week but it feels good other than squeeks which might keep me from walking up on a bear,(kinda like a back-up alarm) its a cabelas alaskan guide, Mike "B"

11-Oct-10
I bought the new X2 this year and am very happy with it after I wrapped the metal frame with the cloth tape that they use on hocky sticks to stop the squeeks. I would rate this pack as A Bob

11-Oct-10

ElkNut1's embedded Photo
ElkNut1's embedded Photo

ElkNut1's Link
Bob, yes sir, we did the same, the frame is a gloss yellow & where the nylon straps wrap & fasten around this internal frame it rubs & creates a low squeak, we remedy that too by wrapping with black hockey tape, it's a very easy fix & works 100% in squeak removal.

Here's a finished photo all taped up & then we re-installed it on both packs!

Remember, please rate your Pack!!!

ElkNut1

11-Oct-10
This is my first elk hunt and I used a Sitka 45. I don't have any other packs to compare it to but this is my asessment. I was interested in the pack and found it brand new for $200 so it made the choice easy. The load lifters are useless and the pack felt like it was riding low and seemed to pull away from the body. I was impressed that I was able to pack for 7 days of hunting and it handled the gear. I will give it a B- and I want to try other packs to find something alittle more comfortable.

11-Oct-10
Pack #1 - Sitka Ascent 14 Day Pack - Awesome Day Pack...One of the best I've ever owned. Not gonna haul any meat with this one though. But for a day of hiking and hunting it is tough to beat in this class. A

Pack #2 - Sitka Flash 20 - Will be using it on a New Mexico Muzzleloader Elk hunt next week. So far I've hiked quite a few miles with this pack with a decent load and it is VERY comfortable even carrying the muzzleloader. Should also work for the first load out with a little meat. B+ so far. Revised to A.

Pack #3 - Badlands Sacrifice - Just ordered for a 2012 Mountain Goat Hunt and a 2012 Mountain Caribou hunt. Will load it up and give it a great workout over the next couple years. The pack has gotten great reviews and should be here soon. No grade.

The only true "meat hauler" I own is a Cabelas Alaskan Pack with frame. I hauled out a Caribou with it two years ago and though it did the job, I did not love it. Just not a fan of external frame packs. They can haul a load but just aren't that comfortable. C

For meat haulers, I'd love to try one of the Mystery Ranch packs.

EDIT TO THE ABOVE:

Cancelled the order on the BAdlands Sacrifice and got a Sitka Bivy 45. THe 45 handles loads up to 40 lbs. ok but then the straps start to hurt. Can't imagine hauling a real load with this pack or meat for that matter. Still for a trip in first trip out pack it does the job, just not a heavy duty load bearing meat hauling pack...B+.

I am changing my rating to the Sitka 20 to an A. The pack is an awesome daypack that will haul everything you need for a days hunt. Don't even know I am wearing the pack. My new go to pack for local hunts.

Pack#5 for the year has just been ordered. I ordered a Kifaru KU 3700 with side pockets and medium pod. THis should be an extreme pack that can handle just about anything. CAn't wait to give it a workout this summer.

11-Oct-10
My Kifaru G2 Longhunter Standard gets an A from me easily. It adjusted to fit my long torso nicely. The ease with which it handled 50# was amazing to me.

I used it for 12 days of backcountry bivy hunting with 30-55# in it. Did not get to pack any meat yet. I have it stripped down to the hauler frame right now for some blacktail day hunts.

It has proven to be the best pack that I have ever used.

11-Oct-10

Scott's Link
I used a new Blacks Creek Canadian and was very impressed, didn't haul any meat but was amazed at how comfortable of a pack it was (much better than my old Hypervent) It is a little heavy but the way it rides you never realize it. It has a million pockets that are usable and are well thought out. To me it's a do all pack which is a must when your as poor as me and can't afford multiple packs. I've enclosed a link if you're interested.

11-Oct-10
I utilized the Eberlestock Tailhook. I would probably give it B. The first downside in my opinion is the weight. I would say it weighs about 5 pounds unloaded. That is a lot for a basically bow carrying fanny pack. In addition, I could never get a full 2 litre bladder in the bladder compartments, they had to be about 3/4 full. In addition, the total pack volume is just enough, could be a little bigger, but well organized. On the positives, it holds your bow either hiking or riding very well, and the ripcord feature is as advertised. It is extremely comfortable as well. In closing with minimizing of the padding (not necessary w/ this size pack) and expansion of the bladder pouches it would get an A.

11-Oct-10
Does anyone use a "hikers" backpack to bivy out into the backcountry as a hunting pack? Example; like Osprey, or Gregory, 4000+ CI? I would think this would be a good pack, but often wondered about meat hauling in excess of 70lbs. The packs I've looked at are rated 50-70lbs. I am thinking of a "do all" pack. Any ideas?

11-Oct-10
Mystery Ranch LongBow with Nice Frame -

I would give this pack an A- and the only reason that it gets the - is that it is heavier than the Sitka, the BL, or the Eberlestock. I put the Straps that go over the top, the Side pockets, and the gear holders on the waste belt, and I have to say I LOOOVE this pack.

Other packs that I have that I don't wear any more are the Dwight Shuh pack, a Nimrod pack, a BL 2800.

Oh, BTW, I am 6'1, and have packed several elk out with this pack.

FISH

11-Oct-10

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
I also picked up an Eberlestock X2 right before my San Juan Elk hunt. It turned out to be an incredible pack and I'd give it an A.

Mine also squeaked a ton and I fixed it much like Elknut1, but with some Scotch tape. It's a 100% from the paint on the frame vs. the webbing. The two just don't like each other too well for some reason.

It turned out to be one fine day hunt, bivy hunt, meat hauler. Best of all is the side pouches for holding water and my spotting scope. It's just a great design to do most anything!

Here's a pic hauling out my elk head, a soaking wet muddy cape and the tenderloins. It was a huge load and I'm guessing close to 100 lbs or more. Not something you want to do every day, but it got the job done. For a 4.5 lbs pack it's incredible!

Cheers, Pete

11-Oct-10

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Here's a pic with a full boned out hind quarter at about 75 lbs.

Cheers, Pete

11-Oct-10

Mike the Cheesehead's embedded Photo
This year I used my brand new used Sitka Bivy 45 that I bought from Matt.

In this photo it's loaded with about 70 pounds of gear for a 6-7 day spike camp hunt.

This pack was by far the most comfortable pack I've ever used for carrying this kind of weight for about 5 miles.

I also used it to pack all my elk meat from the kill site to the pack trail and it worked well for that although it was a relatively short distance.

I'm 5'11" and have a very short torso. Even with load lifters that don't function well, I thought this pack was very comfortable.

11-Oct-10
Sitka 45. Packed in 8 days worth of gear and packed out my half of a bull. I also use it as my day pack while huting. Not perfect for any of these but very few packs can do all 3 things.

The final pack out was a full boned out front and rear quarter plus water and a couple pounds of gear.No idea of the total weight.

The load lifters are pretty much useless as has been stated before. Ins pite of this I would give it a B since it can handle my entire hunt.

The only other pack I would consider for a do it all would be the MR Crewcab, but at double the price it will have to waite.

11-Oct-10

IDWapiti's Link
Big Red - I used the Gregory z55 this year for bivy trips. A great option IMO.

11-Oct-10
I used a Kifaru Siwash this year to pack a Bear app 2 miles with no issues. I have hardware in my spine so I am very concerned with weight distribution etc.. I am looking to upgrade to the Kifaru Longhunter because I want to carry alittle m.m.m.more

11-Oct-10

Beendare's embedded Photo
Disclaimer- all of the onesize fits all packs don't fit me well so I have to go with something with adjustable back panel.

The Osprey Argon85 I was very happy with on a sheep hunt and training with all summer developed an annoying squeak probably due to getting dusty on the back of my quad for a couple days. C-

The Osprey Kestral [pictured] is super light, 3#4oz, worked well as a day pack and handled 50lbs of meat no problem. Not wild about the bright red rain cover B+

My buddies Blue Widow- though I only tried it on- with a 100# load was a disappointment. It probably would have been fine with about 70# max C

11-Oct-10

hunting1's embedded Photo
hunting1's embedded Photo
2200 did well this year! I had mine sent in to shorten the belt which helped a bunch!

11-Oct-10
"This year I used my brand new used Sitka Bivy 45 that I bought from Matt."

Bought? Stole is more like it. ;-)

I used my Kifaru Longhunter G2 standard on my sheep hunt. It was probably maxed with about 55# for 6 miles in and about 11 miles out. I'd give it an A-, with the "-" being due to the configuration only having a top pocket and main pouch, which can complicate organization. The + of that is it keeps the weight down, but some might not find that aspect desirable.

The bow carrier (grab-it and my proprietary top attachment point) worked very well, best method I have foudn to date.

11-Oct-10
Matt...You aren't going to sell me on those Kifaru packs until they add some more pockets! I gotta have pockets.

11-Oct-10

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
My CrewCab did well once I fixed it with a WeightJacker.

11-Oct-10

miller1's embedded Photo
miller1's embedded Photo
I got a new X2 for my elk hunt this year and it did an awsome job, i loaded it up with 3 days worth of gear, 42lbs, i didnt get a chance to pack out any meat but for being rated as a day pack you can really load it up. Rated A

11-Oct-10
Badlands 2200 is more just a stuff sack. I need compartments. Mesh keeps pack off back so its not to hot. Little scary to think about actually packing out meat with but that was not the intention. There are lot better daypacks out there. I have one thats 10 years old that i would not trade for two 2200 hundreds. Just my thoughts.

11-Oct-10
Badlands 2200

No packing meat this year but it gets an A in my book. Great comfort and plenty of space for gear. At 6'4" the longer design fit great.

Thanks aron(elkreaper) for the advice!

11-Oct-10

glacial21's embedded Photo
glacial21's embedded Photo
I wore my MR Longbow for 16 days in AZ. Like usual, it worked great.

11-Oct-10

C Weeks's embedded Photo
C Weeks's embedded Photo
I used an Eberlestock J104 and tried out a fiend's Mystery Ranch Nice Frame with Crew Cab, really thought I liked my J104 but the mystery ranch rode the weight on my hips much better. I'm sold and now in the market for a mystery ranch before next season. Pic is full camp and all the deboned meat from my mountain goat.

11-Oct-10

Mark's Link
Second year I have used the Eberlestock J34. B+, A little heavy to use as just a day pack, but a great pack over all.

11-Oct-10
Badlands Sacrifice, brand new, FAILED on First day of hunt. Chest strap plastic slide junk thing pulled off. Had to use rope to hold, pain in the arse. Sent pack back for repair under warranty. Rating????.waiting for pack to return. Need more time to be fair.

11-Oct-10

ElkNut1's Link
Great stuff guys!!! I really appreciate the photos you guys took the time to share as well, sweet!

I knew there would be a lot of good ones out there & I wasn't disappointed! (grin) Thanks!!

C3--And others, I had between 90#-100# in my X2 on the way out packing elk, I have a total pack weight of 19# on normal everyday use that includes all food for all day & 70oz or so in the water bladder.

It's good to see all the options out there, there's something for everyone!!! Keep it coming!!!

ElkNut1

11-Oct-10
Badlands 2800, I'd give it a "A" grade right now, but I haven't honestly put it to heavy meat packing test. I used it for backpack mule deer hunting, and for short trips this is a very nice pack. The loading took a little bit of tinkering to figure out, but now it's fast and easy to load. Like the bow carrier feature.

Nice pack to hunt with on your back. Hopefully it'll get to be tested soon with something dead in it.

Thanks for the pack Aaron!

11-Oct-10
I have a badlands 4500 5 years old. we were able to get two elk down, the first elk it did fine one ham 7 miles. Second elk I had 2 shoulders for 8 miles, half way the my back kept slipping down, back at truck I realized that the stays broke in half!! Badlands is says they will fix for free. Other then that pack worked well.

11-Oct-10
I used two different packs this year.

The Osprey Aether 85 for bivy hunting. Hauled 50# no problem, very comfortable. Did not get to haul meat with it. My bow carried on the back very well. Much better than the Cabelas frame pack I used last year. The Aether gets an A.

I used a Camelbak Ranger XT for day hunts. Very nice for the money. Did not haul meat with it. B+

BP

11-Oct-10
I used an eberlestock jp9 blue widow for my backpack blacktail hunt. I didn't get to haul a deer out but I did get a bear as my first archery kill. I packed 3 quarters, the head, plus camp in one trip 6 1/2 miles out with the blue widow and it did great. I give it an A for sure. My bro used a BL 2800 to pack the other quarter, miscellaneous meat, along with his gear and he loved that pack as well.

11-Oct-10
i went from a walmart day pack the last 2 years to a badlands 2200 this year. in comparison the badlands gets an A. I'm gonna get my moneys worth out of it before i think about possible upgrades in a couple years. (of course thats what i said about my first bow 3 years ago too and am on my 3rd brand new bow in 3 years)

11-Oct-10
I used three different packs while elk hunting this year. My Badlands 2200 gets a solid A, it did great including hauling out meat. I also used a Badlands Monster fanny pack, it has worked great for several years now. My new Sitka Flash 20 worked great as a daypack when I needed to carry more gear. I give it an A also. I won't be shopping new packs,I plan on using them again next season.

11-Oct-10
Eberlestock BlueWidow for the last 2 years. Hauled an elk with it last year and use it as a day pack also. No elk this year but lots of miles over the last 2 years. A- the only reason the minus is it would be nice if it was a little lighter but it isn't bad considering how well it felt with a boned out front quarter and nice 6x6 skull all in one load in some very rough conditions.

11-Oct-10
This is only my third year elk hunting, and second year using a daypack.

MultiDay - Dana Design Bridger - B The first year I used my Dana Design (4000 cu in) pack all strapped tight as a day pack. Way too big to slink around through the brush. Wouldn't be bad in more open country though. I will use this pack to bivy in on hunts in the years to come. Not a quiet pack, but very comfy and will hold a ton of gear. I would give this pack an A for non hunting use though.

Daypack - Badlands Diablo - A I got a Badlands Diablo this year and really liked it. Packed about 17 lbs of gear around. Very comfortable for me, I sweat easy and the vented back was awesome. I am pretty sure I can haul some meat with this pack, maybe backstraps and tenderloins on first trip?

Meat Hauler - MOLLE II Frame, shoulder harness, and waist belt, plus a Wilderness Pack Specialties Load Sling - ?

I bought this set up for about $38 from Ebay and $12 for the sling from WPS. I haven't used it to haul meat yet, but it is relatively comfortable. If it is horrible to haul with I will bone out and use my Dana Design Bridger.

Still waiting for my first elk to get these packs bloody! ;)

I am 5'10"

11-Oct-10
All my packs worked flawlessly this year! They all sat in the garage and collected dust better than I could have expected! No elk tag for me this year, but thanks to all those above for the great pack reviews and pictures.

12-Oct-10
My pack remains the Black Creeks Canadian, 110# elk meat haul last year for 6 miles. It hurt, but cannot break this pack! 'A' grade, even with OK at best zippers. 6' 3" 189 lbs

I'll throw in 2 cents from my killing buddies; Sitka Flash 20, high country mule deer pack, 90# meat, he reached up to grab a rock to pull himself up and a shoulder strap completly broke off at the top of the pack. He says 'D'. 6' tall 200 lbs

Badlands 2200, 100# of my elk meat! He says A+, has also had one broken zipper. 5'11" 179 lbs. His Badlands and my Blacks creek perform over and over packing too much weight every year.

Thanks for this thread by the way, is very interesting!

12-Oct-10
Eberleestock dragon fly, and j104. Both great packs. Only difference found was the dragon fly weighed more than the j104. By 2lbs. Dry. But both packs worked great for a wknd 12mile (round trip)pack in hunt. Both loaded with deer meat and our personel gear. Appox. Weight 50lbs they both get an A...

12-Oct-10
My 5-year old BL 4500 keeps getting a passing grade. I see no reason to switch.

GG

12-Oct-10
Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, 16 days sheep/goat hunting, 7 days elk hunting and lots of local hiking to get ready maybe 60 days training! A+ Expensive for sure but worth every dime when you got a heavy load. Packed out half a small bull with the head about a mile.

12-Oct-10
Third season using a Badlands 2800. At first I couldn't figure out how to utilize all the different compartments but now after 3 seasons I've got my system down and I like the way it works. Everything in its place and you where it is without digging to the bottom evrytime. I'd have to give this pack A-/B+ because it didn't quite fit my 5"8" 145lb body without me doing some modifications to the hip belt and also because its a bit heavy. They could make it more adjustable for smaller folks without changing much in design. Also the little pockets on the hip belt are useless unneeded weight as are the 2 built in holsters on the belt. Lighten it up Badlands!! Where this pack really shines is when you are in deep and get something down and need to carry out that first load of all your gear plus some meat. It works really well for that and will save you one total trip on the meat packout. It also carries a bow or rifle really well when you are hiking. I still prefer a frame pack over a soft pack for my just meat packing trips.

12-Oct-10
So just a ? for the X2 users. I just looked at the website and it looks alot like my Badlands 2800 design without the bottom pocket of the 2800. So was 1800 cu big enough for you? I thought I saw someone here said they went with this pack for overnights. Seems kind of small for that. How did that work? Especially if you then get something down out there. Looks like a great pack though and won't break the bank either. Hmmm... just what I need another pack.

12-Oct-10

ElkNut1's Link
Redtop, I have the X2, it will easily do two nights out of that pack. You would lash your tent & sleeping bag/pad on outside of pack & put all personal items inside main pouch. Yes, you could still put a quarter on outside of pack as you see in a few photos above. You would have to then figure out a way to still lash on your tent, sleeping bag/pad over that, but you would have to do that on any pack. The Pack will carry the load if you can! (grin) It's a tough son of a gun!

Larry, Paul Jr & I all used this pack X2 this year mostly for all day hunts, the only thing in my main pouch which is huge when opened was 4 elk bags that we all carry, they did not even make a dent in the pouch as far as room goes. There are other outside pockets that will handle all needed items that you use regularly.

Here's how I have my X2 utilized---Looking at back of pack on left side I have a 100oz water bladder in side vertical pocket. On right side I have in like pocket WY Saw, roll of flagging tape, athletic tape, extra batteries for units & a leatherman. Top outside pouch has food & first aid stuff. Small center pouch on outside of main bag is headlamp & extra bulbs. There's another small pouch there too for a cell phone & extra pistol bullets. On outside netting pouch on left side I have all maps & compass, on right side netting pouch is a garmin 130 gps. On left side belt pouch I have a range finder & it's easily & quickly accessible, on right side belt pouch I have a 2nd gps & digital camera, all is easily accessed without pack removal. I carry my bugle outside of pack between hydration bladder & main body, I can reach over my back & pull it out when needed without taking pack off. Here's a photo of it!

All in all it's a great pack for us & it hauls meat out on 1st trip, too it's a short compact pack & you can easily shoot with it & negotiate heavy brush without it getting stuck or hitting low limbs & your hat doesn't get bumped around like on those taller packs!

This clip shows the pack loaded & you can see you can still lash things to outside of pack if needed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxpBrHzip-w

ElkNut1

12-Oct-10
Anybody that even knows about black hockey tape is great in my book!

12-Oct-10

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I used a Sitka 45 bivy this year for 11 days in New Mexico. I'm 5'11".

I give the pack a C+.

As others have said, it worked great as a day pack. Light, compact and easy. I loved the frame for nap time every day. I could lean back on a slope, unhook the waist belt, and have a brace for my back and a place to lay my head. I took several little cat naps while laying back on it :)

It would have worked okay for a bivy pack, but I never had to use it for that. I did pack it up with 3 days worth of food and all bivy gear, and 7 liters of water, but ended up not having to use it for that.

The meat packing brought the grade down. I made 3 meat packing trips with it, none more than 1 1/4 miles. First trip was two de-boned front quarters off a good sized bull. It did great, but I was also still so excited from the kill (my buddy's bull).

The second trip was worse. I had a full de-boned quarter, plus back strap and neck meat. I was fine going down a hill, but once down in the flat, my shoulders were hurting. The shoulder straps are not the best for packing lots of weight.

The third trip was the killer though. I had killed a small bull, and had one deboned hindquarter, one deboned front quarter, neck and rib meat, backstrap, inner filet, and the bull's head. It was about a 3/4 mile packout, and the shoulder straps again are just not adequate for that type of weight

And the back orange panel to pull out for load hauling needs longer straps. I strapped on the bull's head, and it just barely worked.

The buckles are too small and break too easily. The straps need to be heavier. One of the small straps that I used to strap down the head actually warped on the pack out.

I think I will keep the pack as a bivy pack. Maybe. I'm torn between keeping the Sitka as a bivy pack and getting an Eberlestock X2 as a hauler/daypack, or a MR Crewcab as a hauler/daypack.

Or just selling the Sitka and getting a MR Crewcab.

My only hold-up on the MR CC though is the lack of coverage for items when used as a bivy pack.

I just don't know.

Bake

12-Oct-10

KHunter's embedded Photo
KHunter's embedded Photo
MR Crew cab worked great for day pack and on this last day bull.

12-Oct-10

Rubberfist's embedded Photo
I used and abused my Mystery Ranch 6500 over the course of three stone's/goat hunts this fall (24 or so days in the field) and it performed flawlessly.

Please forgive the presence of the boomstick in the pics, as my first trip was a designated rifle hunt. Subsequent hunts were archery, and noticeably lighter as a consequence =o).

My base "hike-in" load changed a bit from trip to trip but went from 88 lbs (heaviest) to just under 70 lbs...and it was always reasonably comfortable.

12-Oct-10

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
I used the X2 for a bivy hunt this fall. It is much bigger than 1800 ci. The main pouch is over 1800, then there are two side pouches that add another 400-600 ci. I don't know the exact number but I think the pack is almost 2500 ci total.

I simply put my bed roll of ground cloth, pad, sleeping bag and bivy sack under the meat hauling flap. It worked great for the 3 day bivy I used it for. Not sure it would be enough for a week long hunt though.

Cheers, Pete

12-Oct-10

Here's the 6500 stuffed with the gear from above, plus more food and a few other odds and sods.

12-Oct-10
Love my Eberlestock J104 Just One. First time using it to pack my camp in and it did great. Felt great on my back and shoulders.

12-Oct-10

After an 11 mile hike-out, I could still manage a bit of a smile...despite the absence of curls on my 6500.

12-Oct-10

Here I am coming out "heavy" on the last trip with gear, full hide (head wasn't caped), meat and even a few quartz rocks I found up on the mountain that I thought my son would like.

Again, the 6500 performed excellent.

12-Oct-10

Huka Falls's embedded Photo
Huka Falls's embedded Photo
The Eberlestock X2 is easily the best elk hunting pack I have ever used, and I have bought and used more packs than I can remember. The pockets are properly placed and easy to get into while you are hunting. I use almost the same arrangement as Elknut during the hunt, main pocket holds my game bags, outside pockets hold all of the stuff that I get into frequently. We went two for two on bulls this year. First one was about four miles back/ 2000 ft elevation, we boned and packed it out in two, two person trips (4 loads total). I had no issues with the X2 and I was remarkably spry at the end of the day, and hunted the next day with no ill effects. Second elk was two days later and about a mile pack, and easy. Again the X2 performed excellent. We packed out some of the bones and did 5 loads... middle of the night with bulls screaming the whole time. I like this pack so much I might order a second one in non-camo for family hikes and as a back up.

12-Oct-10

ElkNut1's Link
C3, that's interesting with the numbers you come up with, no wonder it's the biggest small pack I've ever used! (grin) I know it's smaller in height & over all size than the 2200 badlands as I have that one too.

ElkNut1

12-Oct-10
I used the Sitka Flash 32 pack this year. I'd rate the pack a B-

Pros: Good suspension system, lightweight material, compresses down small, expands when needed.

Cons: Did not handle the pack out loads well. Suspension system was strained with elk quarters. No way to lash, head/rack securely to outside. No meat tray system.

I will upgrade to an X2 or Blue Widow for next year.

12-Oct-10
Badlands Sacrifice for me on an eight day bivy hunt in Co. No meat packout for me but it hauled in 60lbs. and served as a daypack extreamly well. A+ for light weight, comfort and convinence. 6' 195#

12-Oct-10

ElkNut1's embedded Photo
ElkNut1's embedded Photo

ElkNut1's Link
squid, the pack on the far left is a blue widow & far right is an X2, the middle pack is a Kelty Hauler with folding seat & wings! Thought you'd like to see them together, the blue widow is about the size of a 2200 but I believe it's rated for more!

ElkNut1

12-Oct-10
Badlands 2200 worked great! Felt like a monkey on my back. Just didn't get to pack an animal out with it as I got lucky on opening morning before I got the pack and used a Kelty Cache hauler.The kelty worked great also.

13-Oct-10

Watts's embedded Photo
Watts's embedded Photo
MR CC: A-

Front view. Loaded with app 50lbs for a 10 day wilderness hunt. (Bugle is an Elknut "Lil Chuckler" to give you some size reference.)

Hiked in approximately 12-15 miles and felt great. Didn't use it as a daypack but suppose I could have. I personally just don't like anything that big when actually hunting.

Packed out one load with it with a hind quarter(boned) and the neck meat for about 6 miles and my only complaint was that the load felt low. I suppose I could have done a better job loading it and lashing it to redistribute the weight.

Personally I felt like I could have done better using the NICE frame with a load hauler, and carried my gear in separate silnylon comp sacks and saved a few pounds on the packs eweight.

Still thought it performed quite well for the weight and miles I put on it.

13-Oct-10

Watts's embedded Photo
Watts's embedded Photo
Side view:

13-Oct-10

Watts's embedded Photo
Watts's embedded Photo
In action: (There is a bow and 8 arrows in the pack too, BTW)

13-Oct-10
Mystery Ranch CC. 10 days in CO. 50 miles on the GPS. I would give the pack an A+. It was the only pack I took in and I used it everyday. PAcked meat a little ways with it too. I'm 6'0" 215 lbs

13-Oct-10
A couple questions for the X2 users.

It looks like a one size fits all torso lengths pack which typically doesn't work well for taller users when you load them up. Are any of you satisfied users long in the torso?

I'm also wondering if the mesh side pockets are accessible without removing the pack? can you reach in a get a candy bar or water bottle?

13-Oct-10
Denny, i am 6' 190lb , i dont know if i am considered a long torso but my X2 fits good, i can see if someone has a very long torso it could be a problem, i would try one before you buy, the mesh pockets are great, i can reach them with the pack on but it is a reach, awsome pack.

13-Oct-10

Outdoordan's embedded Photo

Outdoordan's Link
X2 in action! Part 1. Buck 2

We discount for bowsiters

bowsite sponsor

13-Oct-10

Outdoordan's Link
X2 after the action. Part 2. Buck 1

Bowsite Sponsor

13-Oct-10
Denny, I am heading over to Eberlestock to pick up another pack for a customer. I will ask Glen (owner) about the long torso question. The interesting thing is that Glen, whom is also designer, is about 6'5" and very lean as he is a biathlon athlete.

13-Oct-10

ElkNut1's embedded Photo
ElkNut1's embedded Photo

ElkNut1's Link
Watts, you look more like you're going skiing!! (grin)

Denny, we're short so listen to the taller guys for comfort of pack on you 6' guys!(grin) I do not carry a water bottle in the mesh pockets but my son does along with a bladder in side pocket, he carries W/A in the water bottle & he reaches it & can put it back in the mesh pocket no problem. Here's a photo of it carried that way!

ElkNut1

13-Oct-10
Outdoor Dan - PM Sent!

13-Oct-10
I carry a water bottle in the right mesh pocket of my x2 and my GPS in the mesh pocket on the other side. It is pretty easy to reach back and get them out. Plus the side mesh pockets have a draw sting tension adjustment so you can accommodate different sizes and shapes.

13-Oct-10
Kifaru Express - A

I've used this pack quite a bit this year. I used it on my pronghorn hunt as a day pack, and critter hauler. To test the cargo chair, I loaded a gutted pronghorn into the chair and carried it out to where I could get the truck. The pack was in a lot better shape than me at the end!

I've also been using it a bunch for my sheep scouting. It's a great daypack for carrying my water, food, binos (15's), tripod, survival stuff, and other various gadgets. With a day load I hardly feel the weight of the pack.

Nick

13-Oct-10

Denny, the X2 doesn't have too many adjustments for longer torso's. You can lengthen shoulder straps and adjust sternum strap accordingly. The waist belt is made to fit over your hips, so I think it can be done. If not, you may want to look at the J34 or badlands 2200.

IDWapiti - I took a picture of the X2 in the green (which is more of a grayish color). It is a great looking pack.

Hunt- I asked Glen about the A2LS and he said it would work, but doesn't fit like the A2SS. So, it is an option. Otherwise look at the J34 which I like alot as well.

13-Oct-10
Thanks for the answers guy's. Too bad because it sounds like a neat pack and the weight is good. Doubtful I'll run into one to try on way out here on the peninsula and I've owned enough packs that don't fit over the years.

Good thread Paul.

13-Oct-10
Paul,

Took a few spills that might appear as if I were skiing. "The agony of defeat" type spills. ;^)

Each pole plant relieves 8-11 lbs per plant, for the record. Taking what I can get, man! :^)

Watts

13-Oct-10
Badlands 2200. Used on an elk and 2 deer so far. I'd rate it a C. It's moderately comfortable for a day hunt. I think the side pockets are nearly worthless and 2 of the zipper handles have broken (still zips though). A huge main compartment, which is OK. First load was maybe 75 pounds and when picking it up, the handle strap ripped right out. Sent it back in and got it sewed back on. Thinking about selling it and trying something else.

13-Oct-10

Outdoordan's Link
Denny, nother thought, if you want to pay for shipping I will send you the pack, you can check it out, you pay the shipping both ways (just please don't put an elk quarter into it LOL).

Bowsite Sponsor

13-Oct-10

ElkNut1's Link
Watts, you be careful out there, injuries are no fun especially when alone, keep using those poles & take care sir!!

ElkNut1

13-Oct-10
Two muleys and an elk this year with my Badlands 2800. As usual, the pack performed perfectly. It is also my daypack and stays so close to my back that I can shoot just as well with it on as I can without. Grade A.

14-Oct-10

Busta'Ribs's embedded Photo
My Mystery Ranch Nice Frame worked great on a recent Mountain Caribou hunt. 3 plus mountainous mile back to camp with 100 lbs of meat. Just wish I held up as well as the pack did.

14-Oct-10

A+

14-Oct-10

ElkNut1's Link
Busta'Ribs, very nice photo sir!!! Thanks for the review!

ElkNut1

14-Oct-10

Davy C's embedded Photo
Davy C's embedded Photo
Its not a pack but I used my Magnus RackPack. It worked great for packing out meat and rack.

14-Oct-10

DWP's embedded Photo
DWP's embedded Photo

14-Oct-10

DWP's embedded Photo
DWP's embedded Photo

14-Oct-10

DWP's embedded Photo
DWP's embedded Photo
Pics of my Longhunter stripped down for day hunts. Just the frame, cargo chair, top lid, and a medium pod.

My 100oz bladder goes in the pod along along with game bags and small survival kit. The top lid has rain jacket, kill kit, and some food for a day.

Very streamlined profile for a day pack that can haul serious amounts of meat and hide. Plan to have some pics with a deer or bear in a month or so.

14-Oct-10
I used a Sitka Ascent 14 (the older model from 2009, I believe) for the first time this year. It is a great little pack for day hunts, or hunting from a base camp. It is the perfect antelope pack for me. Hauling out even a small first load would not be an option, but this is not what it was designed for. Based on the other reviews, I may consider picking up an X2 for a daypack that hauls meat.

I like that the Ascent 14 sits low on your back, almost a backpack / fannypack hybrid. This is comfortable, and also creates a low profile for stalking, etc. The small size works well for fast and light travel.

For me, the pack was too small to stuff clothing layers into the main compartment with everything else I was carrying. I had to lash my jacket and midlayer to the outside- I used the lashing strap on the top of the pack. This worked fine until it started to rain and my clothes got wet, so I made a raincover out of elastic and silnylon which fixed the problem. I believe Sitka addressed the problem by adding rainflies to most of their new packs this year.

Sitka Ascent 14 = A-

14-Oct-10
Update on my Badlands Sacrafice, I snet it back, they repaired it no charge, and sent it back to me. Need more time to test it, but customer service was great.

15-Oct-10
Watts, how long does it take to hike in 12-15 miles with a loaded pack? I thought I was doing good by getting my wife and 13 yr. old son to pack 6-1/2 miles from the trailhead to camp, and another 3-1/2 to the hunting spot. Tim.

15-Oct-10
Used a Badlands 2200 in NM in Sept and sold it as soon as I got home. I love my Super Day, but hated the 2200.

Issues include: square zippered pocket for water bladder instead of a long rectangular one to fit the 100oz; not nearly enough pockets; Needs pockets on the waist straps (i think the newer ones have these);

By far my biggest issue is getting in the main compartment. The flap over the zipper is such a pain in the butt! And lack of any other pocket makes you have to put all your stuff in the main compartment. And the zippered access on the back of the pack is worthless IMHO!

15-Oct-10
Tim,

It was pretty much an all day affair. There was plenty of time spent taking pictures, looking at the maps, and arguing with my GPS, so I guess one could probably do it faster if so inclined.

15-Oct-10
DWP, whats the weight of that pack the way you have it set up?

15-Oct-10
after seeing you pics DWP I am seriously considering the long hunter. Looks very comfortable for all day hunting. I would also like to know the weight like that.

15-Oct-10
Also, you know how many cu's are in the top lid? I looked at Kifaru's website and didn't see that info.

Thanks.

15-Oct-10

Matt's Link
S2L, I do not know the volume of the day pack lid but I would guess 1,000-1,200 ci. It is a bit sneaky as it is wide and fairly tall, so even though it is not that deep (front to back), it never ceases to amaze me with how much stuff it will swallow. The best pic I could find to give you an idea of the size is TxTrapper's on 10-14-10 on the thread in the attached link.

15-Oct-10
Matt, thanks for that link and the info on the lid. That size would definately hold all I need for day hunting.

I notice on some people the longhunter sticks up quite a bit over the head, others not so much. I've got a long torso so I think it may be alright for me.

I like the fact that there's not a whole bunch of pack covering the back so the sweat doesnt get trapped there.

I'll try and find that "pod" in the tactical pockets section on kifaru's site.

15-Oct-10
"I notice on some people the longhunter sticks up quite a bit over the head, others not so much. I've got a long torso so I think it may be alright for me."

IMO it is a function of torso length and butt size. Those with more butt probably result ina higher ride. The load lifter straps have some adjustability to them to account for that, which is nice.

15-Oct-10
The weight as pictured is 14# on the nose. That is with a full 100oz bladder. Does not include my kill kit, food, spare clothes, game bags, or survival kit.

All together will be right around 19#. Not bad for the capabilities that it has.

As Matt said the top lid just seems to swallow stuff, and between it and the extra space in the medium pod I will have plenty of space for a full day and emergency overnighter if needed.

Shaft- I am 6'2" with a long torso(31"inseam). This frame is fully capable of handling a long torso. If a guy was concerned about the over the shoulder profile maybe the tactical MMR with 24" frame would be the answer. The Longhunter has a 26" frame.

15-Oct-10
+1 ShockValue: love the BL SuperDay pack and use it all the time. Hated the 2200 and sold it in mint condition - just didn't feel comfortable on me.

15-Oct-10

DWP's embedded Photo
DWP's embedded Photo
Some of the pics with the top lid sticking above someones head is a result of the main pack bag being completely full. The top lid is then pushed upward.

This pic shows where the top lid just hangs when the main pack bag is completely compressed. It also gives a good example of how big the top lid is.(it is right behind my bugle)

15-Oct-10
Another vote for the X2(older model with internal frame). Hauled out backstraps, loins and a front shoulder on the first trip ater downing an elk, and was very impressed how it handled the weight. Did not expect that kind of performace. I have a frame pack for hauling meat that I used for the rest of the work. I bought the X2 so that the first trip out from a kill would with meat so as not to waste trips, but not have such a huge pack to hunt with all day and it fits the bill perfectly. I am considering getting another one with the external frame.

15-Oct-10
Dwp, thanks.

The weight is real nice.

15-Oct-10
I used the X1 this year on my son's deer hunt. No meat hauling unfortunately! Has anyone ever packed out meat with this pack? It doesn't have a frame, but is definitely large enough and made sturdy enough I would think to handle it. I bought it to use as simply a day pack. It is comfortable and has plenty of room and plenty of adjustability.

What I didn't like about it was the weight. Also, I felt like it needed a complete owner's manual to explain what the odd shaped pockets, trapped doors, and extra straps and buckles were for. Are these meant to be used for whatever you want or is there a purpose for each? At any rate it appears to be very well built. It is just way more of a pack then I need for my little 2-3 mile excursions I normally due for local hunts. My thoughts are it would be great for packing into the Colorado or Idaho wilderness when I win the lottery some day.

15-Oct-10
Me = Blacks Creek Alaskan. B Wife = Blacks Creek Western. A

Both will break me before I break it. I just think I need to look for a little lighter (Bare) pack.

6'2" large frame the Alaskan worked great and good lumbar support.

15-Oct-10

zrider2's embedded Photo
zrider2's embedded Photo
The X2 didnt work for my 21.5" torso. I liked the pack overall, but ended up with a Horn Hunter Mainbeam XL. It did pretty well, I love the meat shelf design, but the shoulder straps could be wider. Here it is with a boned quarter, and my antlers.

15-Oct-10
I did a bou hunt with my new X2 and although I did not pack meat with it did bivy out with about 43-45lbs. I am 6'2" with an average torso but had difficult with one side of the frame rubbing on my upper outer hip. I got so frustrated that I actually removed the frame and did without. I am not sure what my hip would have felt like without it but my shoulders sure did get a workout. Not in a good way either!The terrain was alot of steep steep up and down and we did about 20 miles in two days.at least the orange frame stuck out in the green upon my return! Did any other X2 users have that problem? suggestions The pack was awesome with about 30-33# in it.

16-Oct-10

BOWNUT's embedded Photo
BOWNUT's embedded Photo
J34 worked well for me.Camped at the truck so no walk in with the full pack.But I did put some miles on it before we went. What I like best is how it compresses into a day pack.Only hunted for two days,my partner became very ill.Will try again next year.

16-Oct-10

BOWNUT's embedded Photo
BOWNUT's embedded Photo

16-Oct-10

BOWNUT's embedded Photo
BOWNUT's embedded Photo

17-Oct-10
Anyone use the hornhunter curl pack ?

17-Oct-10
Just did about six miles with the new x2, only complaint is the lower corners of the frame dig into the back of my hips, came out pretty bruised. Guess they should wrap around, funny thing is I only have a 32" waist and am at the lower end of the adjustments so would think it would be worse for someone wider. This a one size fits all pack so I know it will vary by individual, I'm taking a rubber mallet to the frame today and making it adjustable, he,he, gonna try and take some of the arc out to get more lumbar support in the center, maybe flatten out the vertical bars a little too.

One other thing I saw mentioned was putting stuff in the belt pockets, mine curve right around the hips so can't get anything stiff in them, was hoping to put my gps in there, no biggie though.

It is great pack, I like the layout and expandability, should work great once I get it fit right.

17-Oct-10
used a badlands sacrifice for backpack goat hunt. performs well as a big daypack but shoulder and waist straps a bit light for real weight. Attached it to a kelty freighter frame, stripped down,for my pack in, pack out trip. Also,chest strap failed as another writer mentioned.

17-Oct-10

hunter47025's embedded Photo
hunter47025's embedded Photo
Still using the Nimrod, works very well.

24-Oct-10
I used a badlands 2200 for years until the zippers broke and I sent them in to be fixed and they broke again. Not worth the lifetime gurantee if they can't fix them right. Also had the ball that is created on your back when you fill them up. Looks like the new ones at least have load lifters right. Last year I bought the Sitka 45 and used for a few 3 day overnight trips and day hunts. I packed about 3/4 of a deer with it and it about killed me. The load lifters suck and I think I bent the frame. Like the weight/capacity but not worth the poor performance. This year I bought the X2 and first used for a 1-2 day backpack trips. Good pack until you wear it for a couple of days with 25+lbs. The frame rubbed my hips until they bruised. Also once again the load lifters suck. I ended up taking out the frame and running over it with my truck to make the bottom portion more flat and not so curved. This has helped the hip bruising but it still puts too much weight on your shoulders. I also packed about 90lbs of elk meat and could not move for a day due to sore shoulders and hips. Short of it the pack has a good set up but the suspension sucks. Needs more padding/redesign of the hip belt where it contacts the frame. Looking at the MR Bighorn but thinking I should wait to see what comes out next year. I like it because it looks like the load lifters might work and it is not too heavy. Thoughts? Thanks.

25-Oct-10

GIVEEM3's embedded Photo
GIVEEM3's embedded Photo
Mystery Ranch Longbow was the best money I have spent on any hunting gear. It was comfortable with a huge load of camp and meat, or with it compacted and hunting all day. I added the side pouches and the top straps for packing in camp, then stripped it down to hunt with. Great fit and no hotspots!

25-Oct-10

GIVEEM3's embedded Photo
GIVEEM3's embedded Photo

25-Oct-10

GIVEEM3's embedded Photo
GIVEEM3's embedded Photo

25-Oct-10
Here's my Mystery Ranch BDSB on a recent AK Sheep hunt. Another VERY heavy load over a long and nasty distance.

These MR packs are simply amazing.

25-Oct-10

Whoops, here's the photo.

25-Oct-10
Bust'a you are having a hell of a year!

30-Oct-10

Porcupine's embedded Photo
Some really great pictures. My badlands 2800 worked great as usual. Glad to get it bloody this year. Besides my mountain goat (full hide, 1/2 the meat, and 45# backcountry gear), I packed out 1/2 a boned out mature cow elk and 1/3 of my boned out bull this year with it. This is my 8th animal I have packed out with the same pack. They sure make one hell of a tough pack, and comfortable to boot!

30-Oct-10

Some really great pictures. My badlands 2800 worked great as usual. Glad to get it bloody this year. Besides my mountain goat (full hide, 1/2 the meat, and 45# backcountry gear), I packed out 1/2 a boned out mature cow elk and 1/3 of my boned out bull this year with it. This is my 8th animal I have packed out with the same pack. They sure make one hell of a tough pack, and comfortable to boot!

30-Oct-10
Recently purchased a MR long bow and I was really pleased with what it could do. I also have the rip zip pockets and lid that was nice to use while packing in camp. What I liked most about this pack was how well my Z7 rode while being strapped on. I outfitted it with osprey 3 liter bladder and a mole webbing holster for the 10mm and it was just perfect.

30-Oct-10
I got the Eberlestock X2 for day hunts and I give it an A too. I packed a front quarter and a backstrap for a cow I killed with my rifle. I used it for my bow hunt for elk too. Great day pack with meat packing abitily. If you are looking for a day pack with meat packing ability I would at least look at this pack.

18-Dec-10

Mad_Angler's embedded Photo
You don't need a fancy smancy pack to haul out animals. A 20 year old bookbag works almost as well...

18-Dec-10

Of course it helps if you just need to haul a 120 lb doe about 1/2 mile...

18-Dec-10

Deeznutz's embedded Photo
I used the REI XT85 after having it brought to my attention my TER. This is the best pack I have used in a long time. Under 5 lbs and handled loads well. Plus it doubled as a good day pack on my hunts. I would look into it if you are in the market.

18-Dec-10

18-Dec-10
Of course it helps if you just need to haul a 120 lb doe about 1/2 mile...

18-Dec-10
I used several packs this year....and none of them as much as I wanted, but here goes.

Crooked Horn High Country Extreme II - A - In my opinion this is a very underrated pack. Weighs in at 6lbs with a 4200ci capacity, and just keeps on no matter what you throw at it. I did add attachment points to the top of the lid so I could attach my sleeping bag up there...very similar to the Kifaru pod attachments. Technically it wasn't needed since the pack lid has enough adjustment to expand up quite a long ways, but I liked the idea. :)

Badlands 2200 - B - As many others mentioned the pack performed well no matter what I threw at it. My only gripe is the ugly fix that Badlands performed to shorten the shoulder straps and waistbelt.

Badlands Diablo - A - Obviously this was used as a day pack, but it did see a little bit of meat carrying duty this year. It did very well for being a daypack loaded up with 40lbs of meat. Everything held up fine, but the load lifters do not reach high enough to be of anymore use than to pull the pack closely to your body. Lots of pockets, and attachment points to carry a ground blind, or a treestand, or chair, etc.

18-Dec-10

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Used both the Kifaru Longhunter Guide and the Kifaru Late Season on a 6 different hunts. AS usual they preformed very well. Heavy loads of meat carried out in them.

18-Dec-10

Bowbender's embedded Photo
Bowbender's embedded Photo
I used the BL 2200 on this sheep, and found it to be a very useable pack, I would like to see the external pockets modified to be a little more roomy and user friendly. I have'nt had any issues with the pull tabs as of yet and after reading about the pull tab problems I'm just a little more careful when I open it and have had zero problems. I really like the pack and found it easy to carry with a load. But as was mentioned several threads above it is a challange to pack smaller items and I resorted to ziplock bags which was'nt really a big deal for me.Over all I still have to give this pack an "A".

19-Dec-10
Deeznutz, I was very close to getting the xt85 this year, it felt really comfortable at the REI store. I kind of kick myself for not getting it.

Were you able to pack any meat loads with it and if so how did it handle/feel/ ride in the pack? Do you think it can handle loads up to the 100lb. mark without falling apart or getting too uncomfortable? Some more thoughts on this pack would be appreciated.

Adam

19-Dec-10
has anyone used the kifaru pointman has hunting pack? Got a good deal on one but didn't get a chance to try it out yet.

19-Dec-10
I used three packs this year, all for different reasons.

Pack #1-US army small ALICE pack-used it for a week long elk hunt in central Oregon. Since we were out in the middle of nowhere, I wanted to carry a touch more than usual just in case. It has a frame and modified straps, waist belt and pockets. It is fairly comfortable. I have hauled up to 65# in it, but it is best around 40#. The best part is that if I "did" get an animal, cleaning the bag is simple.

Pack #2-Rocky Mountain Pack Systems Yukon-This is an over sized fanny pack, 1950 cu in. Huge, with plenty of room. I used this on all of my day hunts near the house. I never really filled it all the way up. It has no way to carry any meat, just two large compartments. Very comfortable.

Pack #3-Bison Gear Lost River-Used this on a horse hunt in Washington. Held everything I needed and nothing that I didn't. It has an expandable game pouch that is real nice, but I had a horse so I wasn't too concerned.

Overall, I would give all of my packs an A, they did everything I need and nothing that I didn't. I have finally learned that there isn't a do it all pack out there.

03-Jan-11

Sorry for the orange...

I bought an X2 for a possible future elk trip. I am also using it as my whitetail daypack.

I love it. One hunt, I carried several extra layers to keep from overheating on the walk. It worked great. On another hunt, I carried a soccer chair and a popup blind. Again, it worked great.

It is nice to have the flexibility to add nearly anything needed in addition to my normal daypack gear.

03-Jan-11
"A 20 year old bookbag works almost as well..."

what?

03-Jan-11
Khunter, I wanted to try the gutless method. So I practiced on a 120 lb kansas doe. The gutless method worked great. But I didn't have my X2 yet. All I had was my old bookbag. I put the front legs in the bookbag and carried the back legs using the tendons as handles. It worked. I got the deer out of the woods much easier/faster than gutting and dragging 1/2 mile.

For an elk size animal or any real load, a bookbag would not work...

I just got an X2. It works great for load hauling and I REALLY like it.

18-Jan-11

huntinfool's embedded Photo
Eberlestock JP9 gets an A from me. Hauled in 60+ lbs for a two week hunt no problem.

18-Jan-11

Oops wrong pic. sorry, I suck at computers.

18-Jan-11

Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
Great!

Kifaru Gen 1 Express (military version of the Spike Camp) in Multicam.

This pack is awesome as a day pack that will carry out a first load of meat. 2300 cu in. capacity. I use mine with a cargo chair for hauling extra stuff just in case I get a critter down.

Here's a pic with my buddies sheep head and cape. Cargo chair worked perfect for this.

Nick

16-Feb-11
Good thread, wanted to bounce it up...Trying to figure out what I'd take to Alaska!

16-Feb-11

Dusty's embedded Photo
Dusty's embedded Photo
If you're going to hunt in the land of the giants, my suggestion is to buy the best pack you can afford. If my memory serves me right, this pack seemed to hurt my lower back.

16-Feb-11
Outdoordan, how much is the discount on your packs for bowsiters?

16-Feb-11

Skullwerx's embedded Photo
Heres a pic of my Blue Widow loaded down with 2 whitetails + hides, guessing around 100lbs. Didn't have 2 go far but it handled the load well, didn't shift at all. I have not used it for a backcountry hunt yet but have packed out several deer and have no complaints. I am 6'2" 200lbs and it fits me real well. I would give it an A

16-Feb-11

Sorry wrong pic this should be right one

17-Feb-11

Every photo that I see of an Eberlestock pack shows the pack riding low and pulling pack on the shoulders. This causes the hiker/hunter to have to lean forward to counter the backwards pull by the pack. This was my biggest problem with my J104 and caused a lot of discomfort on my shoulders.

My Sitka Bivy 45 rides much higher and tighter to my back. Also, look at Deeznutz photos of his REI XT85 and look at how it rides compared to the photos of the Eberlestock packs on this thread.

17-Feb-11
Good point Mike...

04-Oct-11

Here is a shot of the X2 carrying the front shoulder from a small moose.

The pack also carried a rear quarter. It did great.

04-Oct-11
X2 is a good choice for the budget minded hunter. I see Sportsmans Warehouse in Grand Junction was running the X2 for $149 last week.

04-Oct-11

HalfRack1's embedded Photo
HalfRack1's embedded Photo
In the battle of the inexpensive external frame load haulers the Kelty Cache Hauler came out on top (right) of the Cabelas Alaskan (left). Much better belt and shoulder strap comfort, adjustments, batwings, etc. Kelty B+/A-, Cableas C+, the Cabelas is going back...

-Mike

04-Oct-11

bowhunter's embedded Photo
bowhunter's embedded Photo
I tried an external frame Cabelas Alaskan Guide and it felt like a board strapped to my back. I then tried on the Badlands 4500 and the belt was too big for my 32in waist. I am using a Gregory Palisade 80. It seems to fit me great. only thing is its black mostly with a bit of red. I need to get a camo cover and should be set. It holds all my bivy gear comfortably.

04-Oct-11
WW said: "X2 is a good choice for the budget minded hunter. I see Sportsmans Warehouse in Grand Junction was running the X2 for $149 last week. "

I'd recommend outdoordan of HuntHardCore. I'm pretty sure his price is close to that. If not, he might match it.

He provides expert advice and great service too. (And he's a bowsite sponsor)

04-Oct-11
I rented a 85 liter backpack from REI this year after using a J104 for the last 8 years. We did a 5 day bivy hunt and I used it as a day pack. The packs performance was night and day compared to my J104. My shoulders never hurt with the REI pack. I'm selling my J104 and going with a regular backpacking pack. I don't think they will have any problems hauling meat out. I'm 5' 10" and give the rental from REI an A+.

04-Oct-11
Used the KUIU ICON 3000 this year in ID for elk. Did not have to use it to pack out meat (got a spike in a spot that required no packing), but I did pack a spike camp in a couple of miles. Impressions are as follows:

42lbs on it for spike camp. This rode very comfortably with great load lifters.

Good airflow space between the pack and your back to help keep sweating down.

Pockets are not as well placed as I would like for ease of access when using as a day pack. I like lots of outside pockets.

Pack weight is very light when compared to others in it's class.

Top closure...Don't like it that much but getting used to it. It's the fold over and cinch down thing and it is tough to do when the pack is stuffed full.

It did develop a slight squeak that can be rememdied with either silicon lube spray or graphite hobbie lube.

Overall would give it an A- with the two biggest pluses being the comfort and weight. I plan to get the 6000 pack and attach it to the frame so maybe next year I will let you know how that one went.

04-Oct-11
I used the Kifaru KU 3700 on my Elk Hunt in AZ this year. I used it as a daypack and it did an outstanding job as a daypack. The best pack I have ever used. I packed the first load of meat out with it when I killed the elk. I used the meat bag they sell to pack the loose pieces of meat in, back strap tenderloin and a bunch of rib and neck meat. I was amazed at just how much the Kifaru meat bag holds. It also holds it in pretty much a cylinder and fits real well into the pack. I'm guessing I had about 80-100 lbs in this pack. I had to have help getting it on my back. I only had a little under a mile to walk back to camp but there were two sheer walled canyons I had to cross that made it a bit difficult. The pack handled the load extremely well. Carrying that kind of weight on your back is never pleasant but this pack did a great job at making it much more tolerable. I had access to horses so I brought two horses back with me to take the rest out...I know it's cheating but hey I'm all for not having to do manual labor if I don't have to. :) Im very happy with the purchase. I especially like the idea of not having so many pockets and just being able to add modules if I need it.

04-Oct-11
Used a Gander Mountain external frame pack that I bought last minute. Junk! None of the straps would stay adjusted. I would cinch up the waist belt only to have it loosen up in seconds. Within a minute it would slip off my hips and then all the weight would be riding on my shoulders. Then one shoulder strap would loosen and leave all the weight on the other shoulder. It squeaked like crazy.

This was my first bivy hunt, so I didn't really know what I was doing. Next time I'm getting a Kifaru or Eberlestock. Vowed to burn the Gander pack, but found the receipt when I got home. They gave me a refund.

04-Oct-11
I purchased a Blacks Creek G3 this year for my Elk hunt. Since we were planing mainly day trips, and I had to be able to move quickly when the time required I chose to get a fanny pack. Wearing this pack "loaded" was a pleasure. It distributes the weight very well. There are many well thought out compartments and pockets. I also like the fact that it has mole attachment hooks. The only reservation I have about the pack is the top zipper. It's small compared toy BL and Eberlestock packs. I haven't had, and didn't have any problems with it, so that concern may not be founded.

04-Oct-11
Didnt chase elk but have been hauling stands/blinds and all sorts of gear with my Blue Widow and so far love it. I even hauled out a dang jumper pack to charge my cell phone last Sunday so I could keep up with football scores without burning out my cell. Chased turkeys a bit an never noticed I had my pack on. I just keep loading it up and once it is on my back, I forget about it.

04-Oct-11
The Horn Hunter Full Curl system is truly awsome as well truly a 1-pack does all! I recomend anyone in need try them. USA made as well!

04-Oct-11
Already did a review of the eberlestock X2 but I give it an A++++ as a day pack and bivy pack and B- as a meat hauler... Frame issue as I mention in my review

05-Oct-11
Used an x2 this year and packed 3 elk.It was great for everything.The bad was the sqeaky frame.I will sport tape it soon but disapointed that a 175.00 pack is sold with this known problem!

05-Oct-11

'Ike''s embedded Photo
'Ike''s embedded Photo
Didn't get to use my Bighorn, but the Flash20 was on every day...

05-Oct-11
I used my X2 on a spot and stalk antelope hunt. It did a wonderful job. Carried everything well and was quiet(I didn't tape either). Biggest load one antelope, lunch, water(I used a Platypus system), spotting scope, binos, rangefinder and bow. Uphill for 11/2 miles. Great pack. I'm glad I bought it!

05-Oct-11
I also have a Kiui 6000. I had it on my back for 12 days.Carried 50 some pounds in, then set up camps and used as a day pack. It was always comfortable and rode great. The load lifters worked perfect.Mine also developed a squeak into the 2nd week.The big center vertical pocket was used for a 100 oz bladder.I wish I could report on how it carried meat.....maybe next year.My old pack was a EMS 6000 or so,that did work good for a pack in but could not be used as a day pack.Overall I don't think I will ever need another pack for ELK.

05-Oct-11
I have been using this pack for 6 yrs plus, performs very well, distributes weight great and is very comfortable on the shoulders and waist.

http://www.arucsystems.com/fnimall/frames.phtml

I am trying to find my pic's to post of some elk and deer I have pulled out with it.

I have used it overseas, with much heavier loads then elk quarters.

Semper Fi

05-Oct-11
I used a Kirafu Siwash this year for the 1st time. It was a pleasure to pack with it. Some may not like the abscence of pockets, it worked well for me. I used sil nylon stuff sacks to categorize my equipment within pack. Tough as nails and handles loads very well. Had 7-8 days of supplies on pack to hike in, hunted with it every day. I will give it an A-. (Just because due to it's toughness, cloth is a little noisy if it brushes up against brush).

05-Oct-11
Based on all the positive reports on the X2 I purchased one to use this year. The design of the pack is great, much better than my Badlands 2200. However, no matter how I adjusted the X2 pack it was not comfortable to carry. I switched everything back over to my 2200 and the difference was remarkable. I could all day with the 2200 and feel fine but not with the X2. I believe my torso is the problem and not the X2 pack. Unless I can figure out what I was doing wrong in adjusting the pack properly I unfortunately will have an X2 for sale in the near future.

14-Feb-13
Bump.

One of the best pack threads...

15-Feb-13
I used a badlands sacrifice and up to 45 lbs it is a great pack. Any weight over that and it doesn't handle the load well.

In my search to replace it, I've recently ordered a stone glacier pack. Excited to try it out.

15-Feb-13
I used a Tenzing 2220 for a day pack. Not a meat hauler, but very well made and very comfortable as a day pack. The design kept my back pretty dry on the warm Montana days.

15-Feb-13
I used a Kelty Coyote 4750 the past two years. It is good for 75#. I have a Horn Hunter Full Curl System on its way to me right now. Should be on the door step any day. Can't wait!

15-Feb-13
Have the badlands 2200 love it. I have eberlestock x1 pack wobbles to much on my back.

11-Mar-15
I love this old thread... Still has great info for today

11-Mar-15
Thanks alot Mad_Angler...I'm on my 9 Kifaru pack I said I'd never have...:)

11-Mar-15

If you kept bumping the old pack threads you will find me with many- until i found Nirvana with This McHale in 2011- here loaded with 70# of elk 5#, IT FITS, squirrel proof, hauls 80# feels like its 40#- this pic with the load lifters I have for it. For size reference I'm a bit over 6'3" 235#

11-Mar-15

BOWNUT@WORK's embedded Photo
BOWNUT@WORK's embedded Photo
One year later I down sized to the X2. That year went a lot better.

11-Mar-15
I used a Exo Mountain gear 3500 this year and it was great. I used us compressed as a day pack and got to haul some meat when my partner killed a bull. It hauled a combined load of a bone in rear and front quarter comfortably and then the cape and horns no problems. It feel very light when on even loaded. I have used a super day and a Kelty cache hauler and they dont compare to the Exo.

11-Mar-15
Used a Stone Glacier Solo to pack camp in and a nice bull out of the Wyoming high country. 3 miles and about 1500 feet of elevation change on rocky trail to camp. A bit farther to the bull. Hands down the most comfortable pack I've ever used. If you're willing to spend $600, I highly recommend it. I also own a KUIU Ultra 1800 that I use as a day pack when I'm not backpacking. For the money, KUIU is a great pack. I used a freighter frame for years and it worked well. I really like the Kifaru suspension, but I'm not crazy about their bags. The Solo was a light, tough, simple pack with just the right size for me on a 3-4 day hunt.

12-Mar-15
Kifaru Late Season, packed out a big cow elk in 4 trips, bone in.... only a half mile, most has been about 2.5.

No problems with the pack at all.

12-Mar-15
I have read this thread top to bottom at least 3 times now over the years and I still have ZERO idea of what pack I should be buying in the next year or so! Hah

12-Mar-15

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Here's my eberlestock J-34 pack in action. Hauled this cow elk out in 3 loads. Works good as a day pack and opens up to carry out a load. I'm 5'7 with a 32 waist and this pack fits me great. Only down side is that it's a little bit heavy but this thing is tough, very well made accessories as well. I'd grade this pack a B+. I also have the super spike duffel to attach but this loaded makes for a pretty unbalanced load. Note: the pack you see on front is my sons little day pack loaded with back straps. He got tired about half way down. Lol

• Sitka Gear