MuleyFever 06-Dec-10
city hunter 06-Dec-10
city hunter 06-Dec-10
Bentshaft 06-Dec-10
Bentshaft 06-Dec-10
bjibber 07-Dec-10
Gray Ghost 07-Dec-10
06-Nov-10
I was told by a sitka distributor that the two founders of sitka gear split and one went a different direction and started a new line. He said the line was called Quiu or something like that and is due out in like December but I can't find anything about it online.

Anyone hear this or know anything about it?

06-Nov-10

06-Nov-10
Check it out: www.kuiu.com

06-Nov-10
It happened a year or more ago.

I wish them both the best of luck.

06-Nov-10

Matt's Link

06-Nov-10
Anyone know when Kuiu will have some product available to look at? I couldn't find anything on the blog that he has.

06-Nov-10
Jason told me they'll have product by December.

06-Nov-10
KUIU is founded by Jason Hairston, the former founder and CEO of Sitka. I've been using his gear from back in '07. It's my opinion that he will refuse to compromise on quality and performance. I believe his products will be designed to meet the needs of the most challenging backcountry hunting conditions. Over that past few months, he has taken input from "every day" bowhunters like myself to help develop his technical hunting gear.

To learn more about his company or provide feedback, check out his interactive blog at www.KUIU.com

Ryan

06-Nov-10
Anyone who chooses clothing for performance vs. just "The Camo Pattern" will probablt find his blog informative and interesting

06-Nov-10
Yeah we need another clothing maker that will not compromise on price, err I mean quality :-)

06-Nov-10
Khunter,

Kuiu will be high a performance camoflage hunting system, like Sitka, that will be much more affordable. It will also be quality merino wool based. From what I've heard it is good stuff.

Watts

06-Nov-10
looking forward to it!

06-Nov-10
Jason Hairston was one of the innovators behind Sitka Gear. Jason is an honest, bright and very talented man. His vision for KUIU is every bit as impressive as his original idea and vision for Sitka Gear.

I strongly believe his KUIU line will be nothing short of spectacular. I am excited to see it and knowing Jason...I'm sure I'll love it!

Peter Iacavazzi

06-Nov-10
It will be nice if it really is affordable, but I hear that term tossed around so much anymore that the claim doesnt mean anything. I'll eventually do the same as Elknut did this year hunting in anything that is dull in color made from good/decent material, not to prove anything, but because the "hunting industry" is about to price me out of "hunting clothing" and everything else on the shelf. I dont need garmets that have a dozen name brand "technology" tags hanging off of it.

Speaking of technology, that is another term that used to actually mean something. Oh...I won't go on.

07-Nov-10

S2 Bowstrings's Link

07-Nov-10
Ill believe afordable when I see it, my guess is it will be affordable by about 5- 10 bucks less than sitka. Which is a Joke and criminal. But then with a population thats 85% of an average IQ or lower they can find plenty of idiots.

07-Nov-10
It's called cashing out and any highly successful small business has to strongly consider it. Just take the money and start another business solo. Easier siad than done of course!

07-Nov-10
Hobbes, I had many pronghorn elk within 30 yrds wearing minus 33 shirt, light grey is the only color.;)

07-Nov-10
"But then with a population thats 85% of an average IQ or lower they can find plenty of idiots."

You are lucky it is Sunday. ;-)

The Kuiu goal as I understand it is to bring top quality gear at a more affordable price. If good/decent is what you are searching for, move on to the next thread - this sort of gear is not for you. If top quality and performance is your goal, give it a hard look.

07-Nov-10
Lon M,

What's a 'pronghorn elk'? ;^)

07-Nov-10
well we will just have to see how "affordable" this stuff is, but it comes out right before my birthday hahaha SCORE!!!!

07-Nov-10
KUIU may have more information regarding their products by December, but according to the blog responses written by Jason, the official launch is scheduled for Spring of 2011.

With everything that I've read about KUIU, no prices have been published yet. Just to be fair to a company that hasn't released their product yet, maybe we could wait for the official launch before we cast judgement?

07-Nov-10
its hopeless

07-Nov-10
I would like to point out that the launch of KUIU will create competition, and competition is good. They will bring a high tech product to the market (from the sounds of it) that will compete with Sitka and probably other merino sellers (First Lite and others?). Even if they are only slightly less expensive they may help bring other prices in the market down, benefiting all. They will also force any other companies that wish to compete to up their game. We have seen companies working up to Sitka type gear. We will see more in the future as competition increases. Some will be more affordable. Not sure why people want to complain about that. Also, how can a price in the open market, guided by supply and demand, be criminal?

07-Nov-10
I love the Sitka stuff and will be happy to try the kuiu products. Things that last are worth more money. Can't wait to see what Jason comes out with

07-Nov-10
a fly hit squarly with a hammer kills it deader than a rolled up newspaper, but the newspaper worked very well and the fly is dead, Same with some of the clothes we have now. the high end stuff probably works better but how much better do you need.

07-Nov-10
I'm one of those lower IQ guys that likes the best equipment available. I love sitka gear and own a ton of it. Look forward to the new kuiu line as well.

07-Nov-10
I own some Sitka gear, its good stuff, but it is overpriced......period. I think each new item is at least $30 higher than when I bought some of the original stuff. I wont be buying anymore. It isnt because I dont like it or I dont want it, but because I can't justify the added cost for the benefits.

07-Nov-10
Guys Adam and Jason are both trying hard to put together a high performance product at a much more reasonable price, no it isn't going to be $50.00 for the pants but it will definitely be less than their predecessor. I have a Kuiu base layer workout shirt that they sent me, thanks guys, and breathable and comfortable it is. I have my fair share of Sitka gear, but I have been smart about buying it at discount prices, and prices much less at times than any Cabelas products, and Sitka last alot longer. My two cents!

07-Nov-10
Mossback2, I hope you are correct when you say "much more reasonable". However, I don't think Sitka is reasonable at all. It is well past the threshold of "I dont mind paying more for quality".

I have to stop occasionally and ask myself, am I buying this because it puts more meat in the freezer, because I need it, because I just want it, because it looks cool, or because everyone is just gushing over it. I do buy some things only because I want them (Id like a new bow before next season), but Ive grown tired of the looks cool and everyone is gushing over it.

I think it is good stuff, and do not think anyone is an idiot for buying it, but the $s to benefits dont work out for me. For me, Sitka is a cool item that everyone is gushing over, and I cant justify it. Maybe I'm just growing older and grumpier. LOL

I hope Kuiu is different.

08-Nov-10
KUIU gear will be released in the Spring 2011. I have had the good fortune of field-testing the entire line of gear this fall. I have hunted in KUIU gear for well over 30 full days in the high country in a wide variety of weather conditions from 90 degree days to 18 degree mornings, blizzards, rainstorms, and wind storms. I can say that I am very impressed! It is the best gear that I have ever used. Very lightweight, great body temperature management, very water resistant, very comfortable! The base layers are Merino Wool in light-weight and mid-weight versions. I cannot say enough about the base layers! Anyone who hasn't hunted in Merino I would encourage to try it out. It is great. The outer layers are also very nice, especially the pants. In my opinion, they will be the best pants available once they hit the market! Everything fits and layers very nicely without adding bulk. After hunting in Sitka Gear for 3 years, I can say that the KUIU Gear is much more lighter-weight, quieter, and more comfortable. The outer layers also seem to be more durable than the Sitka stuff as I snagged my KUIU pants and jacket really hard jumping logs while chasing elk a few times without even the slightest puncture. The KUIU gear will be available in both KUIU Camo and solid colors. I am a huge fan of the KUIU Camo pattern!! KUIU will also introduce a new pack design and technology that is yet to be seen. They will come in two sizes and are projected to be the lightest and strongest packs on the market. I do not know anything on how it will all be priced but I do know that I really really like this gear. Take a look at Jason's blog at kuiu.com to learn more about the gear. There is a recent post about the fabric used for the outer layers that is very interesting.

08-Nov-10
And the hype for 232 dollars pants instead of 249 dollar pants begins. weeeee

08-Nov-10
Lon M....

Don't confuse a low IQ with ones ablility to afford pricey gear. Some people like to resort to trash talking the high priced gear. Do you need $250 pants to shoot game, NO. But why begrudge someone who can afford it if they so choose to spend they're money to buy what they feel it a worth product. Or is it perhaps you secretly pine for Sitka without the means. I've hunted out of Sitka gear and cottom camo BDUs. Everything has a place. To each his own, and let your conscience and wallet be your guide.

I'm looking forward to the KUIU product line. Competition is good, even if it doesn't come cheaply.

08-Nov-10
Lon M

I'm getting confused?

On the Bino thread, so stated that you could shoot a PSE NOVA, but choose a $1,000 bow! You could use Zen Ray optics, but choose much higher quality optics!

So $1,000 bows and $2,200 optics are great, but good functional camo is a waste of money?

Please keep in mind that I am one of the %85 that have a low IQ:)

08-Nov-10
There's always someone out there that knows what's best for everybody else.

I bought Sitka because I wanted to.

08-Nov-10
Anyone notice how little it takes to want to kick someone in the @#($$ when your looking at 10 more months before elk season starts back up?

08-Nov-10
"Anyone notice how little it takes to want to kick someone in the @#($$ when your looking at 10 more months before elk season starts back up? "

Too funny, or maybe not funny it is so true. Thank goodness those maniacs on the 'XX weeks till elk season threads' are working out their frustrations or it would be even worse!

08-Nov-10
I must have a low IQ, because I still don't know what a "pronghorn elk" is. I am excited to see this new stuff and will almost certainly buy some just to spite those that either can't or won't!

08-Nov-10
Good technical equipment will allow me to only carry one piece instead of two at probably 1/3 the weight. If the extra weight, bulk and function don't effect you I would say you probably don't pack in/pack out everything on your back very far or often.

It's not about the camo, I really don't care for much of the current sitka camo but I'd still buy it if it were in the budget. It's all about how they function.

I have owned one pair of sitka mountain pants ASAT (so you know how old they are) for at least 5 or 6 years. It will hands down out wear every other hunting clothing I've ever owned. I probably put 60 to 90 days of hard hard use every year on that one pair. I wouldn't say they looked like new, but they have many more years of hard use left in them.

As long as we're playing the passive/aggressive game, I can certainly see where someone who only sat in a tree or such and drove around in a truck everywhere would have no need for technical quality equipment. It would certainly be a waste of good money for those purposes. =D

Interesting to see what they come up with. The material sounds a bit like the new first lite stuff. (and that's some camo I can get hyped up about....heheheh....)

08-Nov-10
The difference between high end vs low end optics is a lot different than that of sitka vs other options of quality clothing. A buddy of mine is in the non sporting clothing business. Mark up is insane, image and marketing are everything. I simple begrudge sitka for blatantly capitalizing on human nature. Perhaps I worded it harshly, and am bitter the crotch of even the almighty sitka pants I have couldn't last against my large thighed fat A$$, I do know that my high end optics give me a real edge when I can see stuff glassing hunting buddies can't see or make out, where as Ive never said to myself, man these sitka pants are hands down best I can't hunt without them. Sorry to step on toes, i understand the market and how demand sets the price, I just think the market off the Reservation on this one.

09-Nov-10
TD if your suggesting that those of us that do not intend to spend every dime we have to say we have a full wardrobe of Sitka gear only sit in trees or drive around.........you are mistaken.

09-Nov-10
Just to clear things I stated I think its over priced and VERY over HYPED not that the quality is poor. I simply backed up my claim of such with the factual statistic that I believe is a major contributor to the price of Sitka. Not implying someone shouldn't buy quality. Also have plenty of quality gear that spends easily over 60-90 days in the field yearly and it aint done sittin in a truck or stand. p.s. pronghorn elk is a new subspecies very very reclusive, makes a mntn lion seem like a lap cat y'all probably missed him when you were looking down admiring your nice pants;)

09-Nov-10
Jason sent me a set of the prototypes to test and give him my unbiased opinion. I can tell you no "HYPE" KUIU is good. Merino wool is by far the best baselayer I have ever hunted in. From 100deg heat in Nevada, down to 18 deg chasing elk in Idaho, to this past weeks 20deg temps hunting whitetails in Michigan. Its wicking abilities, warmth and cooling effects were amazing. I elk hunted for 6 straight days in the same baselayer top, Odor was non existent. Typically I'll change baselayers every other day, but I wanted to see what this KUIU merino wool could do. The KUIU's merino wool baselayering system is unreal. The Toray material outer layers are light, quiet, tough and very comfortable. I was very impressed with the temp control in the varied temps mentioned above.

The new patent pending pack frame KUIU has developed in my opinion will change not only this industry but also the backpacking industry.

What I really appreciate is KUIU is being built on hunters comments and feed back and Jason is willing to listen and work to solve these problems. Visit www.KUIU.com and speak your mind on your likes and dislikes of gear.

Tony

09-Nov-10
Ahhhh, hobbes, you mean like 85% of the idiots? LOL!

If there is no need for technical gear there isn't any need. I don't own a full wardrobe, I own a few pieces and I'm certainly no fanboy. But I do know what works and those pants are an awesome piece of equipment.

When we pack in I take one pair, those I'm wearing and only those. Hot, cold, wet, dry, I can count on them. I have a closet full of many different hunting pants that honestly never get used anymore. I also have a sitka base layer shirt that is good, but not really any better than other much cheaper gear, I likely won't ever buy them again. When you find what works it's a beautiful thing. If it doesn't you keep looking for the best. Or at least I do.

There is a significant markup on brand name bows and glass also in case no one noticed. So much so that if Swarovski finds out a dealer is selling it for one penny less then the suggested retail price, they will pull the dealership so fast heads will spin. Many will buy them simply for their name and status, amazing I know, but true. Yet those who can appreciate the technical differences and advantages of some of it will buy it because it functions better than everything they have tried.

Bottom line, to insinuate the ONLY reason folks buy and use this high end type of gear is hype or fashion is, let's say, badly misinformed.

I've got a pronghorn elk rack in the garage, maybe the worlds smallest 6 point. Bigdan told me "ugliest rack I've ever seen, good job takin' him out of the gene pool...." =D

09-Nov-10

hobbes's embedded Photo
hobbes's embedded Photo
Come on man.........I didn't make the "85% Idiot" comment and I believe he retracted that.

Just to make everyone feel better, here is me wearing some of the original stuff. I hope it lasts as long as some of you claim, because I won't be taking out a second mortgage to buy any more of it. If I had bought the beanie with the cool Sitka symbol, I'm sure this little doe would have been a Booner instead. LOL

I was just sitting in a treestand on this day.

09-Nov-10
I know, my bad. I thought I took it in the spirit intended, just added a bit of sarcasm, or maybe too much. All in the spirit of friendly debate. Here I thought the smiley faces let you get away with anything...

Lon L made some good jokes and I appreciate that. I know he was mostly messin' around and crankin' people. Did get folks attention for sure. =D

And I'll admit I'm a full blown tool junkie. It's a big part of how I make my living. And in many ways everything you use is a tool, from your coffee pot, even the cup, to your watch, shoes/boots, and clothing. Everyday stuff is even a tool. I think about it all to be honest. It's a sickness I know, but everybody needs a hobby.

For me it's so bad my pocket moneyclip is a Gerber Crucial, like a small leatherman with a clip on it. Now and then it even has money in it.

Good job hobbes, bet that was some good eatin'!

09-Nov-10
Where can we see the new Kuiu camo pattern at?

09-Nov-10
The KUIU camo pattern is being finalized right now and will available to see in February or March I believe. I'm not 100% sure but I think it will be unveiled at either the sheep show or the elk show.

09-Nov-10
"..just added a bit of sarcasm, or maybe too much."

Too much, as if there is such a thing?

09-Nov-10

'Ike''s embedded Photo
'Ike''s embedded Photo
Damn, I missed it...

My shamless SITKA plug!

11-Nov-10
I wish Jason all the best with his vision and I'm sure it will result in high quality, functional gear. I just hope that he doesn't get credit for inventing wool or being the first to use it in base, mid or outerlayers. I've always been a big fan of Sitka stuff but, at the end of the day, it's just existing backpacking clothing in camo. There was a desperate need for this combination and congrats to Sitka for putting it together. Lon's comments on the relationship between human nature and marketing are funny and spot on!

14-Nov-10
I'm in the process of field testing my KUIU right now. So far its outstanding. Jason has reminded me that these are only prototypes that I'm wearing. I absolutely love the prototypes! Great fit. Comfortable. Lightweight and extremely durable.

I have been involveed with Jason Hairston since the beginning of Sitka Gear. I had the priveledge of wearing and field testing the original Sitka Line back in 06'.

Jason's vision for KUIU and his direction is based upon his extensive knowledge and experience with creating and designing a ultra high quality garment for the demanding hunter/outdoorsman.

I think we'll see great things from Jason and his KUIU line. If the prototypes I'm now wearing are any indication..We are going to love KUIU!

Peter Iacavazzi

14-Nov-10
More selection is never a bad thing.

Buy what you want and enjoy the hunt.

14-Nov-10
Hobbes, get your self some camo boots if you want a booner :)

14-Nov-10
I think those were camo boots, but were probably wet and muddy enough that they looked black. :-)

15-Nov-10
Aaaahhhh,after 30 years of hype and BS we are heading back to core clothing.Thank god cause maybe we can talk hunting skills again instead of labels and drivel.

16-Nov-10
I hope they have a digital camo planned. The Sitka Optifade is amazing.

I was on the Eastern plains in CO last week hunting open country Whitetails from the ground. One morning I was working the edge of a creek bottom that was lined with tamarisk. From 200 yards away I had a 150" eight-point walk into me to 30 yards! He cleary saw me but had no clue what I was and certainly he did not think I was a threat. He'd walk 40-50 yards towards me, totally relaxed, then stop to feed. Then he'd repeat it.

I was 20' from the tamarisk on my right and had mostly short grass open field on my left. My face was camo'd up and that buck never got the least bit nervous until I repositioned my feet so I could draw my bow. It was an amazing experience.

17-Nov-10
why so secretive on the pattern they are using even if its just the prototype stuff. if they make the stuff in asat i would def be interested in checking it out. i wore merino wool for base layer this year and will probably never wear anything else, can wear the same shirt hunting elk for days without any smells.

17-Nov-10
why so secretive on the pattern they are using even if its just the prototype stuff. if they make the stuff in asat i would def be interested in checking it out. i wore merino wool for base layer this year and will probably never wear anything else, can wear the same shirt hunting elk for days without any smells.

17-Nov-10
camo pattern is up on Jason's website. click thru the pics to see it.

18-Nov-10

bbates's embedded Photo
bbates's embedded Photo

bbates's Link
camo pic

18-Nov-10
Am I the only one who gets sick and tired when reading about Sitka, Kuiu or any other high performance gear and people always complaining about the price?

What do yall expect a guy to bring out the newest most innovative gear and sell it at wal mart prices?

sorry to rant but it just gets old, to me that is the world we live in, if you want the best then it is going to cost you.

i also feel this gear is specific, really made the sheep or other moutain hunters, these guys are going ton big $$ hunts and can afford and want the best, when weight and ounces and performance matter break out the check book.

if it is not for you then hey there is always wal mart, sportsmans guide or cabelas bargain cave.

18-Nov-10
"i also feel this gear is specific, really made the sheep or other moutain hunters"

how true. I always laugh when people ask if it is good for treestand hunting.

18-Nov-10
I have seen this in other business's as well. Are they 2 founders of SITKA really "Split". Many successful companies "Split" then one of the partners come out with a new "More Affordable" line just to get new clients. When in fact both partners are still getting $$$$ from both companies.

I know 2 lighting companies that are owned by the same guy. He just used his wife's name on the 2nd company to create competition so his "higher priced" lighting would not be the only one at the higher pricing.

I have no dog in this fight as I don't use SITKA, just another angle my gut told me when reading this thread. Yeah I am in that 85%.....LOL.

18-Nov-10
Kind of Spetznazish, isn't it?

18-Nov-10
Whatever. How do I get on the list for testing a nice set of this new gear? I promise I won't charge them anything.

On a side note, one word: Camofire. Translated that means Sitka gear for half price. Google it.

Oops. Are we allowed to say that?

18-Nov-10
I was wondering about "the split" title also. It was my impression the whole Sitka company was bought out by Goretex? Did one partner stay on and work for Gore and the other went to start another company?

Usually there is a non-compete clause when companies are sold also. The original owner can't just start up a competing company for a specified time. Has the time in the clause (I can't imagine there wasn't one?) run out?

I love ASAT, the original Sitka was ASAT, but no way were they going to get that, I think First Lite (?) has a deal or maybe even some part of ASAT? Similar gear possibly or at least the same materials with the merino wool?

Sitka isn't the only high priced stuff out there. Even WRT treestand whitetails there is pricey clothing such as Sleeping Indian, etc. that are considered some of the best there is but not cheap. Just how it is.

20-Nov-10
Gentlemen, yes the word split does cause some confusion. But I assure you, Jason Hairston has no more relationship to Sitka Gear and/or Goretex. The owners simply decided upon different directions.

Jason is now free to pursue his own vision and design without any constraints. His desire for KUIU is to offer the best high quality gear for the demanding hunter/outdoorsman. To that end I strongly believe in Jason and KUIU. Jason is a bright, innovative and detail oriented person. Many dont know this but Jason was a former NFL linebacker as well as an outsanding college athlete. He is driven to excellence and it is reflected in all he does.

His departure from Sitka was professional and he is now excited to create and develop quality new gear under the KUIU brand. I know this sounds like a sales pitch. I also would like you to know I am now deeply involved with Jason and KUIU. I truly believe that we all we see great things and innovations from KUIU.

Regarding pricing, and camo. Jason is using the higest quality Merino wool in the world. The KUIU brand will be priced accordingly, but we will make every effort to be fair in our pricing scale.

As far as camo pattern goes? We have the current pattern up on the website. Please remember, these are prototypes and the KUIU line will be ready next spring.

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] I will gladly answer any questions regarding KUIU and help all of you as best I can.

Thank you,

Peter Iacavazzi

21-Nov-10
On these higher-priced hunting garments first. I've bowhunted HARD for 30 years, most years over 100 outings actually hunting plus many add'l scouting ventures. The Wal-mart cotton-poly specials quickly wear out and in the long run end up in the trash heap.

I've been using Sitka for 4 seasons now and my original stuff still looks great despite a couple hundred outings for much of it. I love Sitka Gear and think it'll last 10-20 years even as hard as I hunt, which in the long run makes it a very smart investment unless you are the guy that has to have the newest camo pattern each year to feel "in." I don't need that, and quite frankly the original Mothwing Mountain Mimicry pattern I loved, and the two new Optifades from Sitka I also feel are very effective.

Not sure yet what to make of the KUIU line, but if it's in the same league as Sitka, we'll have TWO excellent choices. And Peter and Jason are guys I'd follow into war.

06-Dec-10
That frame looks amazing. However, what is the realistic price range for something like that? I suspect a lot, even compaired to MR or Kifaru.

06-Dec-10
i own sitka base layers and i own EMS base layers ,, to say the truth , the EMS stuff is way better in a base layer , my sitka is showing signs of wear , My EMS is worn 5 times more then sitka ,, Also patagonia makes great mountain gear ,, no camo but great gear,

I would say sitka got there ideas from companys like patagonia,

merino wool is being used in this new company products WHY USE WOOL PLEASE EXPLAIN I myself am not a fan of wool ,

also whats up with sitkas new 90 optifade line a lot lighter then there 90 mountain miricry from a few years ago

06-Dec-10
i just checked it out looks more like an add for hugo boss ,,

06-Dec-10
For cold weather hunting I use Cabela's "Stand Hunter Extreme" great stuff never-ever been cold in it up here in Canada in very cold weather, whereas my buddy got nearly hypotermic after a 4 hour sit in 20 below is his Sitka Celsius...uhhhmmm...."System"! He's looking at my suit now ....to go on sale.

06-Dec-10
"i just checked it out looks more like an add for hugo boss"

LOL...Boss is not bad...LOL!!!...to me is more like D&G and "those two"...uhggggg...LOL...just doesn't cut it with the hunting crowd.

07-Dec-10
"90% lite" lous

07-Dec-10
"WHY USE WOOL PLEASE EXPLAIN I myself am not a fan of wool ,"

1. More durable than synthetics.

2. Stays warm when wet.

3. Doesn't retain odor like synthetics.

4. More quiet than most synthetics.

5. Doesn't melt like some synthetics when a campfire spark lands on it.

6. Environmentally more friendly to produce than synthetics.

Why NOT use wool?

GG

• Sitka Gear