Flincher 14-Jan-11
John Haeberle 14-Jan-11
arctichill 14-Jan-11
John Haeberle 14-Jan-11
fawn 15-Jan-11
Ridgernr 15-Jan-11
10-Jan-11

Mad_Angler's Link
Meant to post on elk forum and accidently posted on moose forum. It will be interesting to hear different responses...

I stole this idea from a wilderness canoe forum (BWCA.com). The authors posed a series of typical but hypothetical situations to see how experienced travlers would handle different situations. The exercise was very useful. Folks got to hear several different opinions and viewpoints. More importantly, it got folks to think about such a scenario from the safety of their keyborad.

So, here is the first scenario... a deep cut while dressing an elk...

It is 4pm. The weather forecast is a high of 60 during the day and a low of 30 at night. No rain is forecast.

You are on day 4 of a 10 day solo elk trip. Several folks know your general location but no one expects to hear from you for 2-3 more days.

You are at 9,000 feet in Colorado. You are currently 4 miles from your truck. There were 4-5 other groups parked fairly close to your truck. You've seen a few other hutners in the woods but not in this particular drainage.

You shot a nice elk. He ran 30 yards and died in a tangle of small trees. You tagged him and started the process. You're almost done with the top side. Your knife slips and hits your thigh. You get a large cut. It is about 3 inches long and about an inch deep (your knife was very sharp). The blood starts pouring out. But the blood is not spurting.

Additional information: You're camp is about a mile away. You only have the following gear:

- bow and arrows

- currently wearing decent base layer and one more layer. In your pack you have a slightly heavier coat, a hat, and gloves.

- survivial kit in a nalgene bottle: space blanket, knife, lighter, tinder, duct tape (3 feet wrapped around the nalgene bottle), 50' of paracord, signal mirror, whistle, water treatment pills, 2 snack bars

- water: about 1/2 liter left in your hydration bladder

- food: a few cliff bars

- first aid kit: bandaids, butterfly bandages, ibuprofin, antibiotic cream

So what do you do?

10-Jan-11
Signal with my spot.

10-Jan-11
Because the cut missed major arteries - Apply antibiotic, close with butterfly sutures, cover with band-aid. wrap with duct tape. Carry on with the mission...

Next time, have some super glue to close the wound.

Helo

10-Jan-11

Mike the Cheesehead's embedded Photo
Mike the Cheesehead's embedded Photo
Add some super glue to your first aid kit.

I accidently stabbed my knife into my wrist about a half inch deep while deboning an elk.

Wet wipes, super glue, paper towel and duct tape took care of it for me.

10-Jan-11
I'd probably apply a pressure bandage (not a tourniquet)and try to continue dressing out the elk. If I could get the meat taken care of then I'd get out and go get taken care of. Doesn't sound like a life threatening cut.

If it were a life threatening issue, I'd get out as fast as possible and find the closest help.

10-Jan-11
I'm with Helo

10-Jan-11
I agree with Heloman except I would not put any antibiotic cream or ointment on the wound because it would interfere with adhesion of butterfly tapes to the skin. And you want to hold pressure until the bleeding stops before using butterfly strips, again so they will stick. If bleeding recurs after 30-60 min of manual pressure, rely on a pressure dressing using duct tape over a pad of gauze or cloth. I agree that a cut as described should not keep you from taking care of the meat.

10-Jan-11
ditto, SPOT

10-Jan-11
Duct tape to the rescue -- it is a key part of any kit.

I would have a suture kit and staples, too, back at the camp ... but not with me. Sutures are not going to "make or break" a survival situation. Duct tape does that.

I'm a physician, and people are often worried about closing the wound with sutures -- they want those stitches in pronto. But that's not really necessary. There is nothing magical about stitches, and in fact, they may not be as strong as -- duct tape. And if you're walking out, you'll need a strong closure.

What Duct tape won't do is close the deep portions of the wound, and you could get a "pocket" that will fill with fluid and cause slow wound healing. That's nothing to worry about "now" ... deal with that later.

Here's what I would do: Close the wound with duct tape, then put some clothing over the top, and wrap again with duct tape. I would test to see if anything is "broken", i.e. did a tendon get cut and make a non-functional muscle?

I would test the distal portion of the leg to see if it is getting blood. Either the cut or the dressing could compromise perfusion.

I would have probably irrigated it, but to be honest, there's not a lot of science that says that's important ... especially with a flowing wound (it's irrigating itself.)

I would try to walk stiff-legged, i.e. without bending the knee. I'd use more duct tape if necessary around the knee to remind me. One could even make a brace around the knee.

And I would have always had a cell phone AND a SPOT unit with me -- but that's not in the question. I'd report the problem if possible, and my intended solution, i.e. walking to camp, and my ETA. Even solo, you may be able to reach someone else and tell them when to expect another call.

3" long and 1" deep sounds bad, but unless you hit the femoral artery, you're ok. (And if you did hit the femoral, well, there's not much to talk about. Hit "Oh S&*t" on the SPOT and wait for your body to be recovered.)

People seem to have the idea that if they need stitches, they need them immediately. Well, of course that is preferred. The tissues are fresh and clean and in a perfect world, that'd be best. But wounds can (and will) heal without stitches ... or the wound can be revised later if needed. I guess the thing to be clear about is that stitches are not an emergency if the bleeding has stopped.

Nonetheless ... I have a suture kit in truck and horse trailer all the time ...and use it from time to time. The last was a lady who bashed her knee on a rock while riding horses and had a "flap". Closing that allowed her to continue to compete comfortably -- but it could have waited if need be.

Super glue is a great idea ... not so great for deep wounds like this one, but for face wounds, it yields the best cosmetic results -- much better than anything else like stitches or duct tape.

Wounds are more than bleeding. Remember to treat the swelling, too. A zip-lock baggie can hold cold stream water on a wound, or better yet, snow. And elevate the wound if possible, even if intermittantly during your "exit stage left."

10-Jan-11
My t-shirt just became or my hanker chief if i have one is my gauze pressure on the wound until bleed controlled, anti bacterial ointment. Butterfly bandages to close wound then use bandages to help keep it closed. Then use gauze/ t-shirt/hanker chief. To cover wound and finally duct tape to hold it all together. Hang up meat gps it and then go back to camp then go get help, medical attention...

10-Jan-11
Good thread. Thanks John for your experienced and clear input. With the exception of "perfusion" I am smarter than I was before.

10-Jan-11
Something to add, if you can get quick Clot. Do it. It could save your life if the situaion is worse. Ive seen this both clinically and in field. I actually see this being added to EMT scopes in the many areas. Like tourniquiets, war time proves there value. As for the above info, good stuff.

10-Jan-11
See there! I told ya those Havalon knives were dangerous. LOL!

I'm not going to argue with John. After all he is a Dr. And I really like his thoughts on using duct tape.

OK, you are 4 miles back in so you should have everything you need to take care of your elk or deer. That should include gamebags. your cut is 3 inches long and an inch deep. You are going to be bleeding like a stuck hog even if you didn't hit an artery. If you did hit one, don't worry, you'll probably just do to sleep from loss of blood. Not all that bad of a way to go. But seriously, gamebags can make excellent compress to help stop bleedeing. also they can be used to make a sling and many other uses. If your bandages soak through with blood, don't remove them. Just add more bandage over the top of the old one. Let the medical professionals take care of getting everything off at the emergency room.

10-Jan-11
I agree with taking care of it yourself. My only other comment is about calling for help. If you can contact family or friends for assistance in this case, fine. Using SPOT to call out emergency response is only appropriate in a life threatening or serious injury situation. This is just a cut and doesn't come close to meriting that type of response.

10-Jan-11
John,

Would you do a gauze compress under the duct tape, or tape directly?

Would you apply a compress until the bleeding stopped or slowed way down before wrapping with duct tape?

Great input, thank you.

10-Jan-11
I am curious as to whether a cauterizing agent (Quik-Clot) would be merited in this instance. In a trauma class I took last year it was labeled as a near last resort, much like a tourniquet.

10-Jan-11
I'm really interested in the Quick Clot because I carry it in my kits just for this purpose. It is supposed to stop traumatic bleeding.

10-Jan-11
I am an ER physician. John Haeberle completely nailed it and I have nothing to add. JLS, I would put gauze under the duct tape if I had some. Otherwise I would use my t shirt or something like that. John's post is great information that everyone should read.

10-Jan-11
Good stuff!

Next scenario???

10-Jan-11
Only variable is where the cut is located, and if anything such as tendons or ligaments are severed as well. Otherwise I"d control bleeding as best as possible, and continue breaking down the elk. Not gonna let an elk spoil cuz I cut myself.

10-Jan-11
This is a terrific thread. The most important thing IMO is to be mentally prepared for such an occurance. As many have already stated, the injury described above is not terrifyingly serious. When it happens though, and blood is pouring from one's leg the biggest threat is that of panic. Panic can transform a major inconvenience into a major tragedy. Having the ability to calm down, accurately assess the situation and effectively employ the above mentioned remedies will be critical to a successful outcome.

11-Jan-11
Cut my finger pretty good this year. Not a back country hunt so not an emergency but you still need to get the elk taken care of. bleeding enough that everything in my pack first aid kit was soaked before i got it applied. I cut a 2 inch wide strip off the top of my game bags, wrapped around and around and tied fairly tight. Put rubber glove back on and finished taking care of animal. Got back to truck and i added new game bag bandage and wrapped with Duct tape. Plenty of padding under the duct tape kept it protected when i banged it on something. Once i got back to camp, cleaned thoroughly, new bandage and lots of padding and duct tape. Enjoyed a good rest of hunt for a few days while my dad got his tag filled.

Back country with a hurt leg is a bit tougher but Alaskan Game bags make great Bandages.

11-Jan-11
Direct pressure will stop almost any and all bleeding, if applied long enough.. Ditto on the SuperGlue in your emergency kit,, and Ditto on the duct tape.

If you hit the artery,, Only way out of that one in this situation is a Tourny, and that means say goodbye to the leg, but hey,, it could save your life.

In 96, I was 2 miles from my spike tent, 1.5 miles from my horse, and 8 miles from my truck.. Was about 9 in the AM, and about 2 degrees. I shot an elk, and was cleaning it with a sheath knife (The reason I dont use sheath knives) and because of the blood, and cold, my hand slipped down the handle, and slid down the blade while I was in full grip.

After the initial 'Oh $hiZ" I opened up my hand, and could actually see Tendon completely severed (looked like a spaghetti O on both sides of the cut) and could see bone.

I Cut the bottom of my shirt, and closed my fingers in a half fist (the ones that were cut) and Tied a piece of my shirt over the fingers so they couldnt open up.. (Direct pressure, AND keeping any more foriegn agents out of the cut). After about an hour, tried to continue cleaning the elk, and that wasnt going to work, as my right hand was more like a club.

Walked to spike camp, waited for another member of the party, We walked to where the horse was tied, then walked to the elk. By about 5 PM, we had boned the elk.

Spent the next 6 or so hours pulling the elk out that evening, Next day pulled the camp out. I got to the ER at about 2 AM (about 41 hrs after the cut).

Antibiotics, A good soak, and a couple of hand surgeries later, It is all but a distant memory. (and a really annoying set of crooked fingers that get cold REALLY easily!) ;)

It is important to know basic first aid, and if you have a Red Cross, or an REI, Wilderness first aid is pretty important too. A lot of folks panic, and actually in most situations, Shock, and the elements will be much more dangerous than the actual injury if you cant keep a level head. As far as basic first aid in the field, Duct Tape, a couple of bandaids, I carry an eye dropper of novalsan scrub, and superglue is all you need, you have everything else with you if you improvise.

I also agree about the SPOT.. Dont call for the cavalry, unless it is truely life threatening.. I have experienced that when my Dad's PLB accidentally went off, Not something you want to put your loved ones through.. (But that is another story!)

FISH

FISH

11-Jan-11
Slap some duct tape around that bad boy and get back to work. Oh yeah, don't forget to mix some elk blood into the cut to appease the elk spirits.

Then get those quarters hung before he spoils!!

Anyone who hunts solo for 10-days at a time certainly isn't going to let a little scratch slow them down!!

Just kidding, great thread and topic!

11-Jan-11
Someone please expound on the use of superglue to treat a cut.

11-Jan-11
Super Glue was originally invented in the Medical Field.. It is why it sticks to your skin so damn well. Maybe one of the DRs can expand on where it is used in the med field, but I was told that it was originally for vascular repairs.. (Suturing veins and arteries)

I use it all year long, expecially when I start getting cracks from Wet/Dry/Wet/Dry hands and feet. Just push the cut together, put glue over the top of it, and make sure the glue is holding it together.. and then roll on!

FISH

11-Jan-11

elkmtngear's Link
In the words of the Black Knight "it's only a flesh wound"....wrap and test as Dr. Haeberle posted, and carry on!!

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

11-Jan-11
Thanks John for your expert input and advice.

sticksender,

superglue works great for glueing your skin back together and I also use it year round like fishski1 does when I get those painfull cracks in my fingers.

11-Jan-11
Question. How much duct tape do you pack in a kit? How do you store it? Wrap it on a straw? Flat? I am thinking in a backpack where I am NOT going to pack in a whole roll.

11-Jan-11
Quickclot comes in 2 forms. Powder and bandages with the powder imbeded. It is "inert" ( think of sterilized sand) so it speeds up the clotting without

11-Jan-11
...causing any irritation. The md can sew you up without removing all of it.

11-Jan-11
Z-

The way I carry my duct tape is I take a standard BIC ballpoint pen, Cut about 2 inches off of it and then I split the duct tape in half (so 1 inch thick) and I roll it onto the barrel of that pen. I make it so it is about an inch around.

Easy, small, light, just what you need. Sometimes I do a longer one, and put Electrical tape AND duct tape on it.

FISH

11-Jan-11
I carry a roll of sports tape instead of duct tape mostly to use on sprains or (yikes!) breaks. I've used it with gauze on bad cuts (yeah, both mine and others) and it works pretty well. Used it once several years ago when I forgot my finger tab, a couple wraps on the fingers and I was good to go.

The hospital white does lack the macho look of duct tape though, I might have to swap it out....

I do have some duct tape wrapped around a pencil stub but mostly for odds and ends and it makes for GREAT blister first aid. The slick surface reduces friction and makes it better for that than any other tape or bandage I've seen.

Good thread. Gets the mind rolling as to being prepared.

11-Jan-11
I generally keep my surival kit in a Nalgene bottle. That way, it is completely self contained and 100% watertight. Also, I can use the Nalgene with water purification pills to make drinkable water.

For the duct tape, I just wrap it around the nalgene bottle. I can easily get 3-5 feet in one nice ring around the bottom of the nalgene.

11-Jan-11
I just need to make it to John's office. :)

In fact, he may be the closest physician if I draw elk this fall.

Be prepared....it used to be a 75 mile ride to Laramie for my father-in-law. That's a long way from help.

11-Jan-11
My office is in the Snowies that time of year ... look for a silver dodge with a horse trailer!

As they say, "All bleeding stops -- eventually".

So no worries!

11-Jan-11

brunse's embedded Photo
brunse's embedded Photo
I went back to the horses one evening and met my hunting partner on the ground halfway there. He was sitting down and I saw the blood on his hands. Usually a good sign! "Kill one?" I asked. "Yeah" without any enthusiasm. "that blood is mine" as he holds pressure over his thigh. We used the camo cloth covering his tube to bandage it. The duct tape wrapped around some bottle he was carrying was useless. (Now I carry a roll of VetWrap). Another partner rode him back to camp while I finished dressing the elk. He spent a day in camp and we packed out the elk in the morning.

It was only 1.0 inch long by 1.5 inch deep(at most!), but bled enough to get everyone's attention. He took a picture!

11-Jan-11

brunse's embedded Photo
brunse's embedded Photo
He paid for it for a while too!! It made some fun as my dads Holloween costume later that year!!! Guess who I am costume!

11-Jan-11
Wow. What a perfect picture. That would have been good to add to my original post.

I bet vetwrap weighs next to nothing. I'm thinking that I'll get some to add to my pack.

11-Jan-11
Man! Some of you guys are a hell of alot tougher than I am. Remember in the original post, the cut was 3 inches long and 1 inch deep. That is serious stuff.

The hell with the elk! I'm getting that thing bandaged up and getting myself out of there for some professional attention any way I can. This is no time for the macho bull crap. With a cut that big and deep, you need help.

Spot, cell phone, or walk, I'm out of there!!!

I would probably take a GPS reading and send my buddies in for the elk though.

11-Jan-11
A roll of coban. Works great on holding pressure bandages. Light wt.

11-Jan-11
A roll of coban. Works great on holding pressure bandages. Light wt.

11-Jan-11
Remember superglue and NOT KRAZYGLUE! Krazyglue is toxic and should not be used, someone correct me if I am wrong. And yeah, I'm thinking a cut 1 inch deep, that is deep, and three inches long, I would want to be getting medical help asap. Mark the spot, get treatment, get some friends and go back for the elk. Yeah the Perfusion thing has me confused also. (Darn doctor talk)

11-Jan-11
Brunse, I had nearly the same thing happen to me this year. My son killed a 5X5, as I split the skin on the front leg, the knife slipped and went in just above my knee about 1" to 1 1/2". There were 4 of us together. My son was very stressed about the cut. I was calm. I knew no serious artery was cut. One of my friends had a small first aid kit. We cleaned the wound with wet wipes, and tried to get a band aid to stick but with all the bleeding it would not stick. Chris put a small gause pad over the wound and held it in place by wrapping plastic surveyors ribbon around my leg several times. Then a bandaid was put on the ribbon to hold the end in place. The ribbon had enough stretch that it put pressure on the wound and stopped the bleeding. We finished skinning and quartering the bull and I packed out a shoulder about 3 miles. When we got to camp the bleeding had stopped, we really cleaned the wound well and re-bandaged it. I went back on the second trip and packed out the other shoulder. I was fine that day; the next not so much. My leg swelled, hurt, and turned bloodshot half way to my ankle. I will be more careful next time, and will have a sufficient first aid kit.

11-Jan-11
I'd clean the wound with some water, dry it off the best I could, then I'd cover it with a dry bandage or part of my shirt... then I'd wrap it up with the duct tape throw down a few Ibuprofens and get back to finishing the work.

Then I'd hike over to my camp and load it up in the pack and head over to my kill site. I'd load up one fourth of the meat and head out for the truck until I was done.

Once the elk was packed out, I'd ask around at the other camps back by my truck to see if any of them were doctors... (you never know) maybe one of them will have have a kit to sew yourself up or one of them could do it... either way, your hunt is over and you need to get out of there and to a doctor for some stitching up!

12-Jan-11
Not much to add at this point that hasn't been said, great information above.

I always take a roll of Johnson & Johnson athletic sports tape in my pack it's light, small and has a lot of tape in it and it's some of the toughest tape around. I used it riding broncs and believe me you can mummify your cut leg and it will not come off until you get back to town. You can use it in many different ways to keep yourself operating it is amazing tape and I think it's much better than Duct tape.

13-Jan-11
I always carry a small roll of duct tape and superglue. I had a crown on one of my molars come off this year in elk camp and stuck it back on with superglue! Held up just fine until I got to my dentist.

14-Jan-11
First thing is dont panic! I was with Zeke this September and will certainly have a better first aid kit this year than what i had this past September. One lesson learned on what wait is important to carry! 3+ miles from the truck is not the place to panic!Zeke I dont think it hurt that your "doctor" was your preacher either:-) Cant wait till September!!!!!!!!!!!

14-Jan-11

Arrowslinger's embedded Photo
Arrowslinger's embedded Photo
What you described in the first post happened to me, but i was on a deer hunt 2 miles from the truck. The knife didn't cut, it stabbed, pretty deep as it went well into my thigh muscle requiring 4 hrs in the emergency room and over 30 stitches-most of them in my muscle.

I elevated my leg, packed it with toilet paper and wrapped my leg with electrical tape. Then hiked my happy tail out.

This was 5 years ago and i still have nerve damage in my leg.

Moral of story, don't pull a knife towards you.

14-Jan-11
That's how my small cut in my wrist happened, it was a stab rather than a cut and even though it's not very long, it was deep and could have been bad if I would have hit something major.

Moral of the story, slow down and take your time especially when your getting tired and don't pull your knife toward you.

14-Jan-11
The difference between your scenario and mine was that I was only a 2 hour downhill walk back to the vehicle and my cut was in the back of my right calf. I used my kerchief to tie a solid pressure dressing over the wound, finished taking care of my elk and walked out. No biggie. The biggest difference that I have in my first aid kit is a couple ace wraps. They are more versatile than any other bandage as they can be used to apply a pressure dressing, a splint or help with a sprain/strain. BTW, as a 20+ year ER RN, I totally agree with John Haeberle's comments.

14-Jan-11
Would Dr. John and Dr. Steve recommend a first aid kit or a list of items to make a good wilderness first aid kit?

14-Jan-11
Item #1: A good, light first aid book.

Honestly, first aid is rarely a matter of material, and almost always a matter of knowledge. Look, I'm a fairly experienced MD (15+ years) and if I have to look up things, most likely non-MDs should, too. It is very rare that you have to do something NOW to help someone.

Look, if someone has a dislocated elbow at 5:00pm, it'll still be dislocated at 5:10pm after you re-read how to put it back safely.

Take a few breaths, READ A REVIEW OF HOW TO FIX WHAT NEEDS FIXING, and then -- only then -- dive in.

If there was ONE THING that you should take, that's it. You will have enough in a basic backpack to do the rest, at least to stabilize just about anything.

ANYTHING.

Item #2: Duct tape.

If there is one thing I wouldn't leave hope without, it's duct tape.

Coban (a.k.a. vet wrap, which is cheaper) is great, too, and I carry both, but tape is more versatile.

Let's list what it can do:

Pressure on a wound.

Make a splint (with a stick)

Make sunglasses for the snow-blind

Hold together a shelter

Bind poles for a travois or stretcher

The list goes on and on (a great idea for another thread -- I'll start one in a bit.)

Honestly, it's light and you can do so many things with it.

Item #3: Epoxy of some sort. Same reasons, but better for small cuts, especially on the face. Much better cosmetic result.

Other Items: As above, first aid is rarely a matter of "stuff" ... Quik-clot is cool, but outside of combat situations, it's usefulness is limited. Duct tape, glue, safety pins, something absorbant (like clothes -- bet you already have that) and a good "unexpected-night-out kit" is all you need.

Back at camp: That's where I have the big kit with moleskin, sutures, drugs, etc.

14-Jan-11
Awesome post John! Is there a light weight First Aid book you could recommend? Or, you could write one and make a small mint. ;-)

14-Jan-11
Someone has already made a mint: Buy the one made by Adventure Medicine first aid kits. Written by a guy named Weiss.

Seriously ... I have several. They are in the pickup, the horse trailer, and my backpack.

They are small, but comprehensive. And they have ideas on improvisation, too.

Here's an amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G80X0I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1W0JQE6BN22FXBZKHTA9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

15-Jan-11
Nice reply, John. The one thing you alluded to in your "dislocated elbow" situation but didn't say specifically that is an absolute MUST is a WORKING BRAIN. You need to look at teh situation, take a few deep breaths and engage the brain before doing anything. In most situtations it is more important what you DON'T do rather than what you DO do. As I said, my one "must" in a first aid kit is a few ace wraps. Just think of them as "stetchy duct tape". You really don't need an elaborate kit.

15-Jan-11
Great info here, One thing I have always done is carry a couple bandanas. I will keep 1 in what I call my after the fact pack (once I get an animal down) I will always lay 1 out to keep my knife and saw and field dressing stuff out of the dirt or snow.etc. Then when I am done a I can wipe stuff down After reading the post about blood all over everything he had I now see it would be good to have it out like I do if I get cut and need to wrap the wound while I get to my kit, Might even be wise to set the first aid kit out with the knife and saw.

• Sitka Gear