elkwatcher 22-Apr-11
NvaGvUp 22-Apr-11
Ridge Wraith 22-Apr-11
NvaGvUp 22-Apr-11
Z Barebow 25-Apr-11
NvaGvUp 18-Apr-16
17-Apr-11
Brian, Mark, Steve,

Good luck to all of you in Boston tomorrow. Run your own races and don't let the mob determine your pace!

It looks like a perfect day. Temperatures are forecast to be in the low fifties and you're going to have a 17 mph tailwind. It doesn't get any better than that!

Enjoy the experience and drink it all in.

Kyle

17-Apr-11
Good luck guys.Enjoy the experience. Like NvaGvUp said, run your own race.Unfortunately I didn't.But it still was the highlight of my running career when I ran it in 2003. May the wind be at your back. Ridge Runner

17-Apr-11
Angelfire - Robert , my hunting buddy from Houston also qualified at 63 but will be running injured just to finish. You can't miss a chance when you are called to the big dance.

17-Apr-11
Stayfit,

I hear ya. Two of the times I ran Boston I was either sick or injured. In '81 I got sicker than a dog two days before the race and struggled to a 3:11 while running a fever. In '83 I tore a calf muscle pretty bad on the first of March and it was the first of April before I could run again at all. I managed a 3:01 and was happy to do it. Ironically, other than my first marathon, those were the only times I wasn't sub-3:00.

17-Apr-11
Good luck, fellas!!!

17-Apr-11
Thank you boys. It's a big event up here each year, lot of fun. With the way things are with the Sox and Bruins we need good diversion.

18-Apr-11
I was just looking at the BAA web page to see how to follow our Bowsiters in today's race.

Wow, has this thing changed since I ran it in 1980 - 1983! I knew the number of entrants had skyrocketed and I can sort of guess what the "Wave" thing means. But the one that really got me was what they've done to the qualifying times. When I ran it, I had to run sub - 2:50 to get in. Now, for that same age group, you can qualify with 3:10:59!

18-Apr-11
Update through first 10K

Zbarebow pace 6:45 Wannagan pace 6:50 Elkwatcher pace 7:18

great start for all three 20 miles to go

18-Apr-11
Good luck guys!

18-Apr-11
Looks like Brian is locked on that 6:45 pace through 20K..... Good luck to all the bowsiters..... Terry

18-Apr-11
Our boys are doing great!

Brian's first four 5K splits were 20:51, 20:58, 20:50, and 21:04. Great consistency! He hit the 1/2 at 1:28:15. Mark's only a minute behind Brian and his splits are equally consistent. Steve's been slowing a bit at each split but is still averaging a 7:30 pace.

18-Apr-11
Looks like Fargo ND is the bowsite equivalent to Kenya ...... Terry

18-Apr-11
Terry,

I was thinking the same thing! BTW, I was born in Fargo, so can I get on your list? ;~)

18-Apr-11
LOL..... you bet.... Terry

18-Apr-11
Brian is through 25 K with his last split @ 20:59. He's running a great even pace!

Mark went through 25 K with his last split @ 21:27. He's slowing a little, but not too badly.

18-Apr-11
Lets go guys....strong finish! Good luck.

18-Apr-11
Brian's through 30K @ 2:06:19. His last split dropped to 21:37, but that includes the hills, esp. Heartbreak Hill. It's all flat or even a little downhill from there. His next split should tell me if he'll break 3:00. I don't want to see that split at all slower.

18-Apr-11
All are running a great race. Thanks for the input NvaGvUp I was concerned that Brian was dropping time until I saw your post.

18-Apr-11
Oops. I know they've changed the course several times over the years and in looking at an elevation profile of the current course just now, Heartbreak Hill peaks out @ Mile 21, So Brian hasn't got that behind him yet. There are hills from Mile 16 - Mile 18, however.

18-Apr-11
Brian's through 35K @ 2:27:36. his last split was 21:36 and there's just 4.5 miles to go. All he needs to do now is average 7:09/mile the rest of the way and he'll get it done!

18-Apr-11
Mark's through 35K @ 2:33:37 and looks to finish ~ 3:06, which is a superb effort. Steve looks like he went out too fast, but he's still on schedule to break 3:30 with room to spare.

18-Apr-11
Brian's got less than 1.4 to go and he's got 9:41 to make it. His last split was 21:24. What an awesomely even pace he's maintained!

GO BRIAN!!!

18-Apr-11
Kyle..... What is a start offset?... Terry

18-Apr-11
Brian is in at 2:58:57..... He had a little kick left Impressive!!...... Terry

18-Apr-11

2:58:57! Way to go Brian!

18-Apr-11
Terry,

I believe the offset adjusts for the time it takes for the runner to cross the starting line rather than recording his time from when the gun went off. It keeps the runner from being penalized for being hundreds of feet back from the actual starting line when the gun fires.

18-Apr-11
Thanks Kyle...... I didn't even need my glasses to read that..... Terry

18-Apr-11
Mark's in @ 3:10:37. Great job, Mark!

18-Apr-11
Congrats, Brian! You got your sub 3!!!

18-Apr-11
midwest,

Congrats, indeed! A sub-three hour marathon is a very special accomplishment, esp. as Brian is 45 years old!

18-Apr-11
Excellent work Brian. Had nothing to do with luck as preparation = results. Without preparation you never would have run sub 3 hrs. You're dedication to train for Boston in the midst of a Fargo winter is inspirational.

18-Apr-11
Wow, just wow. Congratulations! Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing

Edit - Is my math wrong or is that averaging just under a 7 min/mile pace?

18-Apr-11
Brian's splits were amazingly consistent. 20:51, 20:58, 20:50, 21:05, 20:59, 21:37, 21:36 and 21:24. That's the sign of a very well trained and extremely disciplined athlete.

18-Apr-11
Bx3,

Brian averaged 6:50/mile.

18-Apr-11
Wow, a Mobile Live Boston Marathon! Cool! Congrats guys! C

18-Apr-11
What were Mark and Steve's times?

18-Apr-11
Again, wow...

18-Apr-11
Glad our guys did well and congrats to them. I see the WR was set at 2:03 and change.

18-Apr-11
Great running guys. Boston is a great marathon,I ran it in 1996 it was the 100th, 42000 runners that year. I started in the 2:50 wave I could see the starting line when the gun went off 30 seconds later was crossing the starting line. Finished in 3:03 just could never get stretched out to get into a good pace.The thing I`ll remember the most is after the race, walking down the street. It hits you,you have just finished the Boston Marathen.

18-Apr-11
Mark ran 3:10:37 and Steve ran 3:33 flat.

Great job by all three of them. Just eyeballing it, but it looks like Steve finished in the top 44%, Mark in the top 15% and Brian in the top 7%, assuming 20,000 runners. ALL THREE are in their 40's and Steve is 49!

18-Apr-11
A new world record @ 2:03:02!

Guys, that's a 4:41.55 minute/mile pace for over 26 consecutive miles! Simply astonishing! And the guy who finished 2nd was just two seconds behind him!

18-Apr-11
I was watching Brian and he did extremely well, very consistant. Fantastic job Brian! BTW Kyle it is a world's best not a world's record. Boston doesn't qualify for world records. (which is dumb if you ask me)

18-Apr-11
By the way - only 1% of the population can run less than 8 minute miles and less then 1% of that number can run with these elite athetes for one minute. Imagine that!

18-Apr-11
Big Congrats to all three!!! Your dedication, as well as your mental and physical toughness, is unbelievable.

Brian, no need to bring your bow for elk this year. Just chase them till they drop!! Rob

18-Apr-11
HWS,

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about that. Point-to-point courses are not eligible for world records.

18-Apr-11
Hunts_with_stick

Does it not qualify or did this one not qualify because of a tailwind?

18-Apr-11
No marathon at Boston will ever qualify for a world record because it has a net decline in elevation. Again, a bunch of garbage if you ask me.

18-Apr-11
Kyle, so is my explaination wrong then? It is because it is point to point? That would be the dumbest rule I ever heard of then!

18-Apr-11
BTW is this a PR for Brian? I am running a 10 miler in two weeks and am hoping to average 6:48 - I can not imagine running 6:50 for 26.2 miles!

18-Apr-11
HWS,

If it's still the way it used to be when I was racing marathons, the start and the finish have to be within a certain distance of each other. That was something like maybe 10% of the race distance. Elevation change and wind were the reasons for that.

18-Apr-11
Yes, it's his PR. And no better place to do it!

18-Apr-11
Well done all! What a great day for running and the sport overall!

18-Apr-11
I didn't know there were elk in Boston.

18-Apr-11

NvaGvUp's Link
Bigdan,

Heck, there are elks all over Boston. They even have their own clubs. See the link!

18-Apr-11
+1 NVA

18-Apr-11
Great job everyone.Sounded like a great day for the race.Was abour 70-75 in 2003 when I ran it.All this Boston talk is giving me the fever to go back. However I'm 53 now and got put on a 12 hr swing shift in the paper mill I work in, It makes it really hard to get in consistent training.Maybe when I retire,if that ever happens. Anyway you guys should all be proud of your accomplishment today.Treasure the memory. Ridge Runner

19-Apr-11
ttt, as Steve, Mark and Brian should be getting home soon!

20-Apr-11
Again, great job to all three, what an accomplishment.

20-Apr-11
Congrats to the runners

20-Apr-11
Wow, so many watching! It was a most challenging course for this old man. The down hill sections destroyed my legs. I also did not expect so many roller hills early on. I thought it would be more flat. But I did the best I could do. All the runners at the athletes village creates a sensory overload, I seemed exhausted at the start line. I made it to my corral (1st corral of the second wave) with 40 seconds to the gun start. It was an awesome experience. Brian is a machine, it was great talking with you till we lost cell service.

20-Apr-11
Welcome home, Steve and congratulations!

A guy can never get in too much hill work, no matter what the race course. Most people think the hard part of hills is going up. Maybe so, but the hard part on your body is going down. You can really beat your quads to death running downhill. The hills at Boston are very mild, but coming from Iowa as you do, they probably seem a lot worse than they would to someone who lives and trains in the mountains.

Put your feet up, sit back, have a cold one and enjoy your memories! You earned it! Good job!

20-Apr-11
Thanks guys! I finally rolled back into town and logged on. Nice to see all of the encouragement we had working for us. We had no option but to do well!

Steve- Sorry I lost you. (I suspect it was on my end, crappy signal at my hotel). To bad, I was just about to give you the lat/long of my hunting spots! LOL! Nice talking about hunting and walleye fishing.

Kyle- This is the 1st chance I had to look at my 5K splits. I'll take them!

As far as the race, no course has been more researched, examined and studied more than Boston. So I had plenty of info to digest. When people think of Boston, they hear about the "hills". Specifically, the hills in Newton. But one of the overlooked things was the significant decline in the 1st several miles. Many runners get caught up with eaphoria, adrenaline, and "feeling good" and they come out fast. This race significantly punishes those who come out too fast.

My plan was to start out in control and hit my rhythm around mile 4 or 5. My calves were a little tight from the initial decent, but they loosed up by mile 5. By the time I hit the 1/2 way point, I was about 45 sec ahead of my goal. I figured I would have a fade in the hills, but didn't know how much. The up hill sections end around mile 21-22. When I glance down at my GPS, (I was just shy of 22, I asked the guy if the hills are over. He said "Yes".) I thought, those hills weren't that bad, and I started to open up. I knew I was within goal, but didn't want to do anything stupid either. (I was real worried about cramping). My hamstrings were tight, quads were sore, but I was still rolling. I was reminded of this as I watched a guy lock up and hit the ground while running at a 6:40 pace. (Not a good sound!) I hit the 25.2 mile mark and I had just over 8 minutes to do it. Since I had yet to run a 8 min mile, I wasn't about to start now!

As I turned off of Hereford on to Boylston, I knew I had it and ran hard until the end. I wasn't going to win any beauty contests with my form, but the crowd can carry you through to the end.

I wore my race day camo top, and had some funny comments. (EX "Hey camo guy, I can't see you!" etc). Needless to say, I stood out in a field of white shirts and race singlets.

Thanks again.

Brian

20-Apr-11
Brian,

Welcome home and thanks for the personal insight!

It's funny to see you flatlanders refer to those tiny up and down slopes at Boston as 'hills.' Out here in the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas, we consider little rises like the Newton Hills (total elevation gain = 170') as less than minor annoyances! lol

Just teasing, of course. In Fargo you couldn't find a 170' hill if your life depended on it. So it's all relative.

You ran an amazing race, Brian. Not just because of your time, but because of the consistency of your splits. Your WORST split produced an average speed of 6:58/mile! Danged fine work, my friend!

20-Apr-11
The well wishes and congrats from everyone are much appreciated. What a beautiful day and awesome crowd support. This was my second Boston and I was able to take in a little more than the first time and stay more relaxed. Like elkwatcher said, it can be a sensory overload the first time around. Z and I were able to get a recovery walk in yesterday at Chicago OHare as they switched our departing gate constantly and finally grounded us in Chicago for the night. We were supposed to get home early eve yesterday and finally got home at noon today. And we thought Boston was going to be our only adventure for the week - LOL. Congrats to elkwatcher and Z on their first Boston starts and finishes!

20-Apr-11
Brian, Wannagan, Elkwatcher,

Did any of you have the time to walk the Freedom Trail or lunch at the Union Oyster House?

20-Apr-11
I am not an oyster fan, and although we did not "officially" do the Freedom walk, we saw several of the places along the way. Some points of interest were the Paul Revere statue in the Boston Commons, Paul Revere's house, the Public Library, and Cheers of course! We ran along the Charles, and did see other misc sites. The weather wasn't very nice on our site seeing days and we didn't have our ND clothing along!

We may have to return a time or two to hit the attractions we missed!

Kyle RE: Hills. I had to fix a couple of my typos in the main post. The hills were subtle, and like you stated, it is the early downhill which suck people in for trouble later. It seemed like the course always had a tilt to it. (Which a flatlander like me notices!).

The people of that town and area supply fantastic support. They definitely help motivate you.

21-Apr-11
Z Barebow,

The first time I ran Boston was in 1980. When I ran through Wellesley I was right on the heels of the 2nd place woman. Those coeds were were packed so tight to the course I could barely get through; probably the lane at that point was 4' wide. For several hundred yards they were screaming and hollering and cheering like nothing I'd ever heard. When I got through them I was so pumped I was thinking, "That was awesome. Maybe I should circle back and do it again!" lol

That nice gentle downgrade in the first few miles is great. You can relax, not have to work hard and still knock off ten fast miles with little effort. I only remember one of my splits for that ten mile stretch - 58:30, which set me up for a good race.

BTW, you don't have to like oysters to fall in love with the Union Oyster House. They've got a wide variety of menu choices. But you really should go there next time for the history and just to see the place. You'll never forget it.

Now that you've qualified for Boston again, we look forward to having another Live Mobile Boston Marathon thread here next year!

21-Apr-11
man, makes me want to sign up for another marathon. The past week or so, I have been thinking about signing up for steamtown, but am still not sure.

21-Apr-11
Tim- As you know, your results on race day are the product of a long training period. Your race is made on those rainy, cold, early mornings when no one is around to see you run and train. If you have the heart and make the time to train, you set yourself up for a good day. Only you can make that decision and committment.

This was my 4th marathon and I have trained harder for each and every one I have done.

Racing is also a learning experience. On shorter runs/races, small issues remain small. When running 26 miles or longer, small issues become big issues. The more you race, you become more in tune with your body as to what is working and more importantly, what doesn't work.

If you are suffering from PMS (Painful Memory Syndrome), a known cure is to erase the negative race with a positive one.

21-Apr-11
I have a score to settle with Boston....I will be back. This was my second marathon and did not do things correctly or smart.

Brian and Tim, you are an inspiration to me just as Ryan Hall is. Oh by the way Brian, I could hear your coordinates when you thought the line dropped. I won't tell!!!

21-Apr-11
One thing I learned from this thread is that if I ever run a marathon, don't tell Kyle. The public scrutiny would be embarrassing! My splits would be no where near these times.

Congrats to all of you for running a great race!

21-Apr-11
Dreaming Big,

I'd be cheering for you like crazy! Just give it a try and I'll prove it to you! ;~)

21-Apr-11
I am running a half the first weekend in June but 13.2 is wimpy vs. the full marathon. I will let you know how it goes. :)

21-Apr-11
Dreaming Big,

If you can run a half, you can do a marathon!

21-Apr-11
Congratulations to all you guys. I didn't see any of you because I was in the 3rd wave (translation - slow). It only took me 25 years to qualify, but it was a great experience. Injured, training in Houston and 63 years old is not a great recipe for a fast race. The early downhills destroyed this flatlanders quads and knees. After 13 miles it was basically a death march. Hopefully I will recover for this years Elk hunt.

21-Apr-11
Angelfire,

I'm pushing 63 myself so can relate to what happens to your speed as you age.

That said, you ran and finished the Boston Marathon at age 63, ya' old fart! You should be very proud of yourself for doing that!

Kyle (another old fart)

21-Apr-11
Congrats to all! Brian - AWESOME JOB!!! I know you must've trained on the Fargo hills as you went over and under the interstate........that's about as big as hills get here. Hope to see you at the range or at a shoot soon. Again, great job! You should be very, very, proud.

OFFHNTN

21-Apr-11
I talked to a guy at the airport after the race. I asked how he did. He ran a 3:47:XX. His is 70 years old!

I'll never forget his comment. He said his times have started slowing. He was at his peak when he was 66 years old!

21-Apr-11
OFFHNTN,

Having been born in Fargo, I understand 'flat.' lol

When I ran my best time in the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run in 1991, a guy from Florida and I ran together or back and forth within a few minutes of each other for the last 75 miles.

I could easily train on the course itself, which was a huge plus for me as the WS 100 has 41,000' of elevation change. We both smoked the course that day using totally different training methods. He got his 'hill work' in by running freeway overpasses, stadium steps and driving to Georgia to train on what passes for 'mountains' there.

The message here is, "Where there's a will. there's a way."

21-Apr-11
Congrats to all of you that ran the Boston! You are an inspiration to all of us runners. I just took up running this year at age 42 and wish I would have started years ago. I am going to be running a 25k trail run in June with a measly 3900ft of elevation...LOL.

21-Apr-11
Strong work guys! Be proud of making it to Boston and knocking out some great times!

22-Apr-11
I just booked a hotel room for my Boston 2012 revenge trot...I still can use my 3:23 time from the Twin Cities marathon time and get in the 2012 marathon with a -10 minute qualifier. My -2 minute Boston time may not get me in next year with the new registration system. By booking today, I saved $275 a night from what I paid this year for the same hotel....Really!

22-Apr-11
elkwatcher,

Good on ya!

22-Apr-11
Great motivating thread. I will be doing my first marathon (Quad Cities Marathon) the day I get back from my yearly CO DIY backpack elk hunt. Hopefully, the blood doping from high altitude will balance out the fact that my feet are destroyed from all the climbing and sidehilling (and hopefully packing meet and antlers).

I won't touch those times mentioned above,but hope to keep an 8 minute pace for most of the race. So far in my training I'm up to 15 miles at an 8 pace. Now I just have to find a way to tough out the last 10 or so.

22-Apr-11
Ridge Wrath,

Whatever you do, I consider it essential that you get in at least one or two short, easy runs after you get off the mountain and before the race! You need to teach your legs that they need to transition from hiking-with-a-pack mode to running mode!

25-Apr-11
WaBowHunter- I started running at 41 years old. And the 70 year old guy I referenced in previous post started running at 52.

Some might ask, "What does running have to do with elk hunting?" Elk hunting is the reason I started running.

I had been on 3 elk hunts starting in 1998. I used to try and erase years of sins in two or three months by working out. (No running) Each successive hunt, I trained harder but getting into shape was also becoming tougher as I aged.

In 2006, I moved to Fargo and found out about the local marathon. I always thought running would be a great way to get in shape for elk hunting as I could be in decent shape year around. (I even bought a pair of running shoes two years earlier and ran a total of 2.4 miles on Jan 1st, 2005. But that was it for the milage log that year!). I told myself, it is time to put up or shut up. Either run, or quit talking about it! I signed up for the half marathon distance. I began training/running on Feb 1st, 2007.

I started off running 2-2.5 miles at ~10:00-11:00 pace. I thought I was going to die. When I found out I wasn't going to die, I wished someone would kill me! My initial race goal was to not embarass myself. That goal evolved into a time based goal as training progressed and I beat my goal time.

Once I was done with the race, I decided I could either return to my sedentary ways, or keep running. I decided I had worked too hard to get to this point, and the rest is history.

Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly run totals which I could not fathom ANYONE doing in 2007, I now crank out on a fairly regular basis.

For me, running is and always has been a means to an end. Although not a prerequesite to bowhunt, being in good shape defintely enhances my hunting experiences.

18-Apr-16
ttt for Brian.

Thanks for reminding me about this thread. What a great read!

BTW, my wife and I will be back at Pelican Lake again in August for fishing and the Pine-to-Palm. It would be cool to hook up with you guys again.

• Sitka Gear