wilhille 28-Aug-14
wilhille 28-Aug-14
sureshot 28-Aug-14
Tracker 28-Aug-14
Turkey Hunter 28-Aug-14
Tracker 28-Aug-14
Turkey Hunter 29-Aug-14
03-Jan-12
Wondering if anyone here has ever hunted or knows anything about C Bar Z outfitters out of Trinidad CO. Just trying to do a little homework. Any info at all would be appreciated. Thanks

13-Jan-12
I hunted spring gobblers with Larry in 2007 and 2009.

14-Jan-12
I was wondering more about the elk hunting. Have you heard good or bad about his operation? Haven't found too many people that have hunted with him. I have already booked for a 4th season rifle hunt with him. He seems to be a real straight shooter. I'm looking forward to this hunt. I know they shoot some pretty nice bulls off of his ground.

15-Jan-12
Larry is a straight shooter when he talks. Mostly average size Colo bulls they get, with a few really nice bulls, not 100% kill. A friend of mine shot an average 6 pt muzzy bull in 2010 with Larry. SOME of his leases are on smaller places when considering the size of some western ranches/leases, but they are productive. Enjoy your hunt, get in shape to enjoy it more!

21-Mar-12
I have booked an elk hunt the 1st rifle season (Oct 13-17, 2012) and am looking forward to it. I have talked to Larry a couple of times and he seems to have everything on the ball. He is building cabins instead of wall tents for this fall. I have talked to a fella that bowhunted with him last year and he said you'll have fun and see a respectable number of elk. First rifle season last year there were 8 hunters, and on the 1st day they killed 5 bulls a cow and the other two guys were from Germany w/ one guy missing twice and the other missing three shots.

12-Jan-13
Larry knows his business and appears to be a straight shooter. However if you get on his bad side he will throw you under the bus. Hunted with him during 2012 rifle season, and everything started out well. Then for some reason he changed 100%, and basically had nothing to do with me or my son for the rest of our hunt also promised an extra day or two ( no charge) on several occasions ,but did not say a word about it the last night. Heck he would not even shake my sons hand. He did get into some verbal arguments with other hunters then the next day personally took them hunting!!! I don't know what his problem because we got along with everybody. Finally, he is all abut "100% Shooting Opportunity" He gets mad if you pass on a bull,no matter, what the range or miss one which some hunters did. Its a shame because I did like the hunt, guides, and hunters

17-Feb-14
Well where do I start.......? I won't waste a bunch of time on here but my hope from this post is that I will save a fellow hunter from wasting his hard earned time and money. Do not hunt with this guy, he'll promise you the moon, blow smoke up our @$$ and tell you whatever he needs to to get you to come hunting with him. Don't fall for it, there are much better outfitters to spend your time in the field with. His leases are over hunted, shot out and his reputation in and around the town reflect directly how his hunts are, laughable.

Save yourself the money and time and book your hunt with a legitimate outfit, period!

17-Feb-14
Well where do I start.......? I won't waste a bunch of time on here but my hope from this post is that I will save a fellow hunter from wasting his hard earned time and money. Do not hunt with this guy, he'll promise you the moon, blow smoke up our @$$ and tell you whatever he needs to to get you to come hunting with him. Don't fall for it, there are much better outfitters to spend your time in the field with. His leases are over hunted, shot out and his reputation in and around the town reflect directly how his hunts are, laughable.

Save yourself the money and time and book your hunt with a legitimate outfit, period!

17-Feb-14
Apparently you started twice! Sorry you had a bad hunt. Mike

18-Feb-14
Wow, Sorry to hear about your bad hunt...a friend of mine is going back with Larry for his fourth hunt...he really likes the guy.

20-Aug-14
I have hunted with the crew of C Bar Z for two hunts and have enjoyed every moment of my stay with them! I went out there with the attitude that I might or might not get to enjoy the prize of a Big Bull and that is completely fine with me I just enjoy the outdoors and sharing it with my friends and the staff of C Bar Z! Then it did happen my second year I could a 320 plus bull opening morning at 6.55 am I had the opportunity due to the work of C Bar Z guides that worked their behinds off for my experience! People forget while they are sleeping that there is guides out searching to see where animals might be moving for the next morning hunt! Me and the friends that I have brought have thoroughly enjoyed our experiences and I will be back again this fall for another chance! Thanks C Bar Z gang! Oh, if you go out there with an attitude you should probably stay at home this is a great bunch of people and fun group too! Hats off to you Larry and crew I'm on my way back to see you!!!!!!

21-Aug-14
Well Jimmy Boy Looks like Good Ole Larry has been running his mouth about pervious clients!!! Bottom line is if Larry likes you your okay but if he don't, for any reason, your screwed!!! The only person with an attitude fella is Good Ole Larry

P.S. You can tell him for me the "Georgia's Boy's" thinks he sucks

21-Aug-14
C Bar Z ROCKS!

This outfitter comes highly recommended from me. I've hunted elk, turkey and lion with them over the past 3 years. Last year we had 5 bow hunters in our group and 4 out of the 5 hunters had shot opportunities on very nice bulls. I took a nice bull with a bow the year before that.

1crazy1 (Clayton). I was there hunting the same week as you. lol. You certainly had your fill of humble pie with 2 missed bow shot opportunities. You guys would've had a nice bull on the ground had you sunk that arrow into his heart instead of his shoulder (at 25 yards none the less).

23-Aug-14
4 out of 5 with opportunities????? That means no kills. Larry is not going to like you guys with that track record. y'all must be Yankee bowhunters!!!!!!!!!!!!

23-Aug-14
Turkey Hunter,

I have no dog in this fight, and have never heard of the C Bar Z outfit.

However, "4 out of 5 had opportunities".... doesn't mean that none were killed. No mention was made of how many were (or were not) tagged. You stated that he is all about shooting opportunities....and also state that he gets mad if you don't shoot at animal when the opportunity presents itself. Why would he get mad if the animal wasn't shot....it was still an opportunity, and would count in his % ?? If you had stated that he is all about his kill percentage, that would be a different story.

You even state that he knows his business and appears to be a straight shooter....then in a later text, you say that he sucks....smacks of cognitive dissonance.

On the other hand, if several people in camp (especially if not from the same group) had disagreements with the outfitter, that certainly isn't something that I would want happening while I was in camp.

It never ceases to amaze me how there can be such a dramatic difference of opinion on a given topic....in this case, it has been black or white....no gray "in the middle" comments.

23-Aug-14
Medicinemann first of all opportunities means nothing. The bulls in that part of the country are not that big So that shoots your theory about looking for a bigger one in the butt. If they got kills then they should say kills. When we hunted with these people I had a room mate who refused to take a 550 yard shot on a bull going up into the timber. Good Ole Larry was were upset and said that was your opportunity. Now that's a bunch a bull, even for a crusader like you. Next he pressured my son to take a 400 yard shot across a canyon on a bedded down bull with a 39 mile an hour crosswind. That's not an opportunity either. This guy collects a lot of money from people and need s to learn how to deal with his clients accordingly The only thing your correct on is the reviews are either good or bad. There is no middle with this guy!!!!! Finally, when we were their Larry got into nose to nose arguments with 4 hunters. Only one was justified I guess that was personal chemistry

23-Aug-14
Turkey Hunter,

"The bulls in that part of the country are not that big So that shoots your theory about looking for a bigger one in the butt."....Again, differences of opinion on a given topic....Passing on a spike, hoping for a branched antler bull or bigger would still justify passing for a "bigger" animal (provided that spikes can taken in that area).

I would also state that opportunities DO mean something. If the bowhunters were not good shots, the number of kills means nothing....the outfitter is not responsible for the bowhunter being a good shot.

I am not a crusader either....like I said, I have no dog in this fight.

JasondWhite,

Turkeyhunter does bring up an interesting point....are you looking to hunt with C Bar Z with archery gear? ....or with a rifle? His comments about long shot distances and high winds will present different challenges depending on your choice of weapon.

Per some previous comments, I would get a better feel for what constitutes a "shot opportunity". Additionally, the other thing to consider is this....if 50% of the hunters have had a great time, and 50% have not, is it worth your time and money to risk the possibility of NOT being in the 50% that had a great time? There are lots of outfitters out there....

For a minute I thought that I was losing it....then I see that there are two threads by the same title....

23-Aug-14
Like you said you have no dog in this fight!!!. Therefore you need to keep your unwanted opinions to yourself. You know nothing about whats going on here. This is not about a rifle vs a bow. This is about how the outfitter treats his clients. When you pay $4000 and drive 3200 miles you expect to be treated accordingly. Thats why if you read my original comments you would see I tell the good with the bad.I will also say trying to make a good hit on an elk, with a bow, at 80-100 yards is not an real opportunity. Jason White went on his hunt with C Bar Z and had the same bad outcome Both himself and his father felt they were not treated properly. I have asked Jason to submit his report to this thread My God fella go back to the reservation or tea party group

23-Aug-14

23-Aug-14
Turkey:

You're personally attacking me... Really?

I can totally see why you had issues with your hunt.

Go ahead and bash away. I'm done with ya.

Humble.

23-Aug-14
There's too many good outfitters out there that if you come across any bad reviews I'd dig pretty deep, and if you don't feel 100% confident then find someone else.

23-Aug-14
Nice Bull Humble. My son and I bow hunted with Larry a few years back and we both landed nice bulls scoring over 300" after passing on satellite bulls.

Great outfitter.

24-Aug-14
There is an old saying a blind hog can find an acorn. I'm delighted you killed an exception rather than the rule. We had kills on our hunt to.One of my room mates killed one just as nice as your shopped photo.

Now the only problem I have is a person that wants to continue arguing over something he knows nothing about. He has never hunted with this outfitter so he has no dog in this fight.

The good to bad ratio on this guy ts about 50% according to this thread. That's not good for any outfitter TMA1010 has a very good point. Were there is smoke there is fire. Therefore I'm going to make sure both sides of this story are told

So there you have it split tooth I done with ya

24-Aug-14
Turkey Hunter,

You bring up a good point, in that I did not notice that Justin's post was two years old. My bad.

However, he stated that he was just doing his homework, and any info would be appreciated. Since I have been on several guided hunts (even though C Bar Z was not one of them), that would not preclude me from offering some questions or thoughts worthy of consideration. He was soliciting input, and I shared some.

Must be a little warm in Georgia, as you are clearly hot under the collar. LOL

24-Aug-14
No problem Medicineman I have no real issue with you. My son and I had a very unfortunate experience with the outfitter (himself) that everyone we hunted with, including the guides, could not understand. We caused no trouble, said nothing bad about anybody. One of our room mates is Larry's best friend. He even expressed his lack of understanding as to Larry's behavior against us. Two of the guides he had were also upset, and quit last year. In summation I will not waste anymore time on this subject.

P.S. As Woodrow F Call said "I make no apology for my behavior"

24-Aug-14
Maybe we should retire/let this thread RIP?

24-Aug-14
Quote: From: Pig Doc Date: 24-Aug-14 to Turkeyhunter "P.S. As Woodrow F Call said "I make no apology for my behavior" Might possibly explain why you didn't hit it off with the outfitter??? End Quote

I agree Doc.

Turkey, now your telling us your roommate is best friends with Larry.... LOL. How the story is unfolding. Before we know it your going to be telling us how Larry porked your sister at hunting camp.....

Your true colors are showing through Georgia boy. Agenda, agenda, agenda.

24-Aug-14
"Your true colors are showing through Georgia boy. Agenda, agenda, agenda"

I agree. Just cant trust these southerners : )

24-Aug-14
The Turkey Hunter says Leo,Doc,and Wild4 you three yankee's are living proof "That Indian's Porked the Buffalo" LOL

25-Aug-14
Pig you would not know what a class act is. You need to go back to milking cows in Minn-A- Sooota!! I also suggest you quit trying to cash that check that your rear end can't cover

25-Aug-14
rom: Jason White To: "[email protected]" Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:41 AM Subject: C Bar Z

Unfortunately I tend to agree with your assessment. I LOVED the area. I thought it was much more huntable than other areas I have hunted with a lot of open parks and meadows. Very cool place. I just kept wondering where the elk were but they never made a showing for us. Funny you mention about Larry getting a little shitty with his clients. Here is what happened to us. We were on our way to hunt one of his leases one morning and 3 bulls crossed the road on public land about a mile from his lease. Our guide asked if we would have shot one of those elk (this was on day 3 I believe) and our response was "no, I'd rather shoot a cow." The biggest was a 6 point that may have gone 230 at best, a small 5x5 and a spike. Well apparently word got back to Larry (not that it mattered because we couldn't legally hunt there anyway) and Larry got in my dad's face that night about how he has been busting his ass for us all week long.....blah blah blah. Funny thing is that is was so hot we only hunting for about 2 hrs in the am and 2 hrs in the afternoon and the majority of that was done driving around glassing because we couldn't find the elk to save our lives. I really was turned off by his reaction to our comments. Like stated before, I think he wanted kills for his numbers so he can go brag about that. Not much to brag about last year and I think it was really eating at him. When I got to camp he said 3rd season was the worst week of elk hunting he had ever had. I think they killed 4 bulls that week out of 12 guys in camp. Well we topped that for 4th season. 8 guys in our camp and 2 bulls in the 230 class taken. 4 guys in the other camp and I think they shot 2 cows maybe. There simply were no elk on his ground and Larry admitted it. By day five the guided had even given up. Hunting is hunting and the weather definitely played a huge part in the poor hunting but some ground leased at some higher elevations would have been nice. One ranch over by Agular which was several thousand acres never got a foot on it because everyone new the elk hunted made it down that low yet. With the lack of elk moving down I believe we were hunting the same elk that had been hunted for several weeks and they were nocturnal as hell. There were a few around that we would see from the truck in the dark on the way to hunt but we (my dad and I) literally never saw a single elk on his ground during legal shooting light. Very few sightings from others in camp as well. There was a herd of cows on one of his ranches that I said I would go after on day 3 but we couldn't even find them back. Overall I think Larry acted more like a guide instead of an outfitter. He definitely could use some pointers on how to run a business. At the beginning of the hunt he said that he would get the shower fixed up and running for us late. That never happened. We ran out of propane to heat our cabin. We told Larry and nothing was done. I went over to the shower house and took the tank off that since he obviously had no intention of getting it going after day 4 came and went. He is young so maybe he will figure it out. Who knows, things may have been completely different had the hunting been better. Everyone would have been in better spirits, the shower wouldn't have mattered, and Larry wouldn't have cared if we would have passed on a small bull because others could have gotten his numbers for him. Larry's prices are pretty reasonable for the area but hard to judge the value of his hunt with our lack of game sighting. Sorry for the long rant. Let me know how your hunt goes this fall. Hope you have a wonderful hunt. My dad and I are thinking about doing a ranching for wildlife hunt in 2014. Neither one of us have ever killed an elk and my dad said this would be his last attempt so we are wanting to go somewhere with VERY good odds. Not all about the kill but I want to see him smack one and he would like to do the same. Take care, Jason

25-Aug-14

26-Aug-14
From: Turkey Hunter Date: 25-Aug-14 Private Reply ... rom: Jason White To: "[email protected]" Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:41 AM Subject: C Bar Z

Turkey,

Let me guess, Jason is another roommate? Probably best friends with Larry too? Rotfl.

Give it a rest pal.

27-Aug-14
Jason is the one who started this thread dummy!!!!!!!!!!! You need to learn how to read dates. Oh, I'm sorry your from Florida I should have known better. I'll give it a rest when I decide to do so. In the meantime go get the change job that Trinidad is famous for. Then you can go with you buddy Larry and built an even closer relationship!!!

27-Aug-14
Wow Dude. Sorry you had a bad hunt. But you really need to learn to play well with others. You've attacked everyone who didn't agree with your assessment. Good luck with that character trait in life. Peace out!

27-Aug-14
No doubt guys... One thing is clear, Turkey, Turkey's posts, Turkey's roommates, and Turkey's sister are NOT credible sources of info IMO.

From: BigRed Date: 27-Aug-14 Private Reply ... Wow Dude. Sorry you had a bad hunt. But you really need to learn to play well with others. You've attacked everyone who didn't agree with your assessment. Good luck with that character trait in life. Peace out!

From: Pig Doc Date: 27-Aug-14 Private Reply ... No kidding. My worst nightmare is to be on a outfitted hunt with someone like Turkey Hunter in camp. That's one reason it is strictly DIY for me. Reply to Thread

27-Aug-14
Some witnesses just aren't credible.

28-Aug-14
The only non-creditable person's are you idiots that can't comprehend what's being said. Florida boy you need to stay in the trailer park with you mama. Doctor Pig yes you need to continue your DIY hunts I would not want to stay in camp with someone like you either. Would have to make sure you couldn't get in the tent or cabin at night. Besides the Sasquatch is waiting to see his ole boy friend. Nebraska boy you started out like you might of read from the start to the finish but that didn't happen either. No wonder you work for Dairy Queen. Finally Illinois boy you you wouldn't know what's creditable or not. You are strickly a follower

P.S. Medicineman I glad these clowns are your friend's They need your guidance through life. Animal Science was a remedial course in school!!!

28-Aug-14
Dude, you're kind of a dick.

28-Aug-14
I almost want to book a hunt, just to spite you lol.

28-Aug-14
Southern Belle - I was making a simple observation, carrying on in a arrogant angry manner completely takes away any validity your complaint may have had. If you showed the same side of your personality on the hunt that you have shown on this thread, I would not find it out of line for the outfitter to ask you to leave.

28-Aug-14
Is this a thread about a guide and a "North South" thing. Am I missing something.

28-Aug-14
A man that finally makes sense!!!.. It started as a referance about a guide then settled into the North vs the South. Off course we Southerner's have always been out numbered. In this case it's at least 6 to 1 However, we refuse to surrender to the aggresssor's who can't read through this whole thread. Any way you might want to jump in and make it 7 to 1.

28-Aug-14
I'll pass. I fly out to Colorado tomorrow for an archery elk hunt. I'll leave the bickering to you guys.

29-Aug-14
Hope you kill a big one!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sitka Gear