THEBUGLER 11-Sep-12
AZBUGLER 11-Sep-12
Ermine 11-Sep-12
otcWill 12-Sep-12
sfiremedic 12-Sep-12
Bowhunter40 12-Sep-12
sfiremedic 12-Sep-12
01-Sep-12
Well my fellow "elkahollics" are the Elk screaming yet? Let us know where you are and what you are hearing. Good luck.

01-Sep-12
Yep in Colorado, at least one bigger older bull with a sizeable harem already was, didn't hear any others besides him.

01-Sep-12
I was in eastern Nevada hunting mule deer and the elk starting bugling a week ago Friday... We had about 5 days of cool temps and rain prior to that Friday .

01-Sep-12
northern utah they were bugling last weekend.

01-Sep-12
northern utah they were bugling last weekend.

02-Sep-12
Man Im happy someone put this up. I was just thinking about starting this thread last night. We leave wensday for CO for a week to film. Really hopeing we can get some bugleing out there

02-Sep-12
Bugling in NW Colorado last Friday evening 08/31.

02-Sep-12
Heard about a dozen this morning, southern Colorado

03-Sep-12
Fairly quiet in north central utah with the exeption of one herbull that had 15 cows already. He was screaming his head off mid-day on Saturday. Almost got him.

03-Sep-12
Got credible info that elk talking in central Montana even in the heat....

03-Sep-12
Anyone have a report on ne idaho leaving on Sept. 14th for unit 1 are they screaming cant take the suspense anymore?

03-Sep-12

GannettRidge 's Link
Just got back from 5 days in the backcountry of Colorado the bigger bulls with herds are Bugling quite a bit and late as 10 in the morning, very little talking in the evening.

Lots of sparing between smaller bulls, Overall the Elk are HIGH watched a heard every day graze on a 60 degree slope at 12,500+ and most of the bulls we were chasing were at or above treeline.

Bowsite Sponsor

Enter GRbowsite10 at checkout to receive 10% off at checkout.

03-Sep-12

Herdbull303's embedded Photo
Herdbull303's embedded Photo
The bull I took in Colorado was with a harem of about 45 cows and calves. He bugled as he moved them into the meadow but no more. Last weekend saw this same bull and his horns were lighter, no mud on him, and he was silent and he had two rag horns in with the cows. No rag horns this time, he was muddy and really stinky, starting to fire up. This next weekend should be really good if the weather holds.

03-Sep-12
Oldgoat..are you still in 50?

03-Sep-12
Nothing at all where i have been in sw montana. But thats about normal for me.

03-Sep-12
Nothing at all where i have been in sw montana. But thats about normal for me.

03-Sep-12
Very nice bull Jerry!

03-Sep-12
Had a number of bulls respond to our calls early in the morning over the 1st 3 days of the season. Then nothing the following 2 days.

Heading back out this week.

04-Sep-12
Got the silent treatment all weekend in central colorado. Saw lots of new scrapes and evidence that there were multiple bulls around but no talking. Saw 5 or 6 different groups of cows as well and none of them had a bull with them.

04-Sep-12
Just go back from 3 days of bulls bugling all day long. Couldn't believe it!! Lots of opportunities but couldn't seal the deal, best opening weekend Ive had. I'm in Montana.

04-Sep-12
My cousin and his partner killed a spike and raghorn in the breaks over the weekend and he said bulls were talking. And heard of more bugling action in central MT. 2 more weeks and I'm code 3 to MT!

04-Sep-12
A little bugling in E. Oregon, but not heated up yet. Did get my son his first bow kill on a cow! It gets no better than that!!

04-Sep-12
Hunted opening week in wilderness area in CO (at & above treeline). A couple halfhearted bugles early and late the first couple days then nothing the rest of the week (other than one bull bugling while chasing down his herd after the wind switched and we spooked them).

Biggest bulls were still away from the herds in bachelor groups. Younger bulls were bothering the cows.

It was very dry above treeline. Elk were only feeding in the seep areas.

TONS of bears!!!! We saw 9 bears in an area where I had hunted several times previously and only saw occasional sign. My brother-in-law had one blonde phase bear growl and snap his teeth at him at 15 feet!!! We had another one come in to my cow/calf calls to 20 feet.

04-Sep-12
They are talking in unit 9 in Arizona no screaming just lite bugles back and forth in the early morning. It is coming.

04-Sep-12
Only found two heards so far. 1st bulged a little, 2nd a little more i think they are starting to get going in central colo.

04-Sep-12
Nice bull Bull and that pic could be used in the Shot Placement thread!

05-Sep-12
Opening weekend I heard one bugle. Small bulls were running the herds. Big bulls were still out hiding. Going out the next two days. We will see dig things changed a bit.

05-Sep-12
They are lighting it up in the high country of Washington per my buddies who are in elk camp while I am stuck at my desk.

05-Sep-12
The elk are generally pretty quiet in the area I hunt, foothills of Colorado. I heard one weak bugle Sunday night and that was it in 7 days of hunting. I did locate a big bull with 15-20 cows already rounded up.

05-Sep-12
Blue jeans and a t-shirt...hmmm. did they take the hobbles off just before the picture.

07-Sep-12
Heard my first bugle of the year last night in SW Montana. Had a decent 6X6 come in to a locator bugle but hung up 40 yards out in the trees.

I was alone, but would have had a shot with a partner. Tomorrow I'll go see if he's still there as I didn't get busted.

09-Sep-12
Spent last 5 days in 61 Colorado....The bulls are bugling steadily from late afternoon til 10am in the North facing timber. So much so that I had to sleep in my truck with the windows up as its just too loud in a tent! Really crankin up for sure

10-Sep-12
Finally heard first bull yesterday in montana. He would answer if far away but get in close he would shut up. This was two in the afternoon tell dark

10-Sep-12
Tule's are screaming in morning and some evening's...Herd bulls still keeping cows in check and Satelites at bay...

10-Sep-12
Last night I heard a 400" screaming in my face (about 12 yards) for what seemed like 3 hours. Just as he was about to walk out into my shooting lane, Abraham Lincoln and Jenny McCarthy walked out and I had to let down.

My wife woke me up and told me to go sleep down stairs.

10-Sep-12
hahahahahah awesome heart shot nothing in west central mt for me yet

10-Sep-12
Lots of bugling in Colorado in unit 14 on the 7th & 8th. All day and night except for between 10:00 a.m. & 2:00 p.m.

11-Sep-12

THEBUGLER's Link
North central Idaho- Bulls were vocal on Sunday am, with he first screaming bull of the year called in for my son. Too bad the brush was so stinking thick!Lol! But there were pockets of elk that would not bugle also. No wolf sign seen........ yet :)

~Dirk

11-Sep-12
I heard they were starting up here in AZ as of yesterday!

11-Sep-12
Still quiet in central Colorado. I harvested a bull a day ago. But silent.

12-Sep-12
Firing if up a bit in southern col in the morning and evening but still not super vocal. Havnt heard any this morning 715am

12-Sep-12
Screaming. mornings, afternoons, evenings, all night.... tons..

12-Sep-12
Last post, where are you at that you are hearing them scream?

12-Sep-12
SW New Mexico, Lots of bugling from opening day.. Bugling is very good. If you're not hearing bugles, keep moving.

• Sitka Gear