Mathews Inc.
WARNING! Read before you hunt with DonV!
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Thunderflight 18-Oct-12
r-man 18-Oct-12
Florida Mike 18-Oct-12
Rick M 18-Oct-12
Bowboy 18-Oct-12
BB 18-Oct-12
DonVathome 19-Oct-12
DonVathome 19-Oct-12
travis@work 19-Oct-12
bowhunter 19-Oct-12
bb 19-Oct-12
Mt. man 19-Oct-12
Toby 19-Oct-12
city hunter 19-Oct-12
MissingStrands 19-Oct-12
Don K 19-Oct-12
BULELK1 19-Oct-12
Thunderflight 20-Oct-12
CCOVEY 21-Oct-12
Norseman 21-Oct-12
Straight Shooter 21-Oct-12
OFFHNTN 22-Oct-12
joewiz 28-Oct-12
super45 29-Oct-12
DonVathome 30-Oct-12
DonVathome 01-Nov-12
standswittaknife 18-Nov-12
18-Oct-12
Don and I first started chatting back in 2006 when we were both researching potential AK sheep outfitters. Over the years we've kept in touch, talked about hunting trips, and shared hunting information between each other. Don has always come across as someone who really has his act together when it comes to planning trips and hunting just about any animal in North America.

Last May when I was stationed in Japan, Don suggested that we apply for a few New Mexico elk hunts. Since I'd be back in the states for good I accepted the offer and by God's grace we both drew a Unit 15 1st ML season tag (roll with this, it's not a gun thread). My work schedule and move back to the states really inhibited my ability to do much planning for this trip so Don set up just about everything (in addition to planning AK caribou/moose, Vermont moose, and NM Ibex hunts).

The big day finally came and off we went. Overall the trip was great. Don took a 300+ bull and I missed one on the last day that was at least as big if not a bit larger than his. The trip was great, but if you are a faint of heart hunter please heed the following:

1. Be in shape! I'm US Marine and in above average shape. Don is part billy goat and left me in the dust. He packed out 120 pounds of elk meat just over a mile and down a near vertical and rocky drainage BY HIMSELF. I helped, but the 80 pounds on my back was something I wasn't used too. Don took roughly 30 of what I had and walked off the mountain like he was going out to pick up the Sunday paper!

2. Camp...... Camp for Don is not a comfortable outfitter tent or trailer with hot breakfast and fresh cooked dinner is something your not gonna get. You better like spike camp accommodations, solar showers, cold nights, mountain house or MRE's for meals.

3. Intensity..... WOW! I have never met anyone so focused. Don is a hunting machine and the amount of planning and effort he puts into a hunting trip is unreal. He treats everyday like his survival depends on it. He definitely knows what he is doing. If you aren't prepared you'll be left in the dust!

4. I think I already mentioned being in shape, but I have to bring it up again.

5. No Quitters..... Don doesn't know the meaning of quitting either. If you are wishy washy and someone who is more likely to wake up tired and sleep in vise sucking it up and going hunting you might want to hunt with someone else.

6. If you are looking for a hunting vacation then don't hunt with Don. What I mean by this is if you want to come back, sit around a camp fire, drink beer, and BS all night then you aren't gong to have much fun with Don. Don spends all his non hunting time preparing for the next day. Literally, he accounts for every second of the day so that it counts to either actual hunting or preparing for the next. When you hunt with Don plan on coming home tired and ready for bed.

7. BE IN SHAPE!

I had a great time and Don taught me a lot about hunting elk hunting, spike camping, and equipment prep. After Don got his bull his intensity and dedication was quickly directed towards getting me on a bull elk. I was having a tough time (I had only elk hunted once before) and was only seeing cattle, cow elk, black bears, coyotes, and turkeys. If it hadn't been for Don I honestly don't think Id have ever had my one chance.

Thanks Don, I had a great time and I appreciate everything you taught me. I look forward to our next adventure.

18-Oct-12
funny thought you where going to talk junk about him, nice to read about a good adventure

18-Oct-12
Thanks for the heads up, after that hideous spider bite on his ugly mug I wasn't planning on it but this seals the deal for sure! Mike

18-Oct-12
I was a little worried myself:)

Don is like me and the very few guys I will hunt with. We are not there for a camping trip and a great meal:) Sounds like a pretty cushy camp solar shower and all.

Glad it went well and post some pics guys.

Rick M

18-Oct-12
Need pictures!

18-Oct-12
Thunderflight, as you probably know, I hunted antelope with Don last year. I can't believe you are even describing the same guy.

Heck the guy I knew, took the best bed in camp, required three full course meals a day, fell to sleep in the blind everyday he hunted and got so homesick he left after only a few days.

Other than that, he was pretty much like you said. Ha Ha

He does like to hunt and he is not afraid to try different things that most people would be hesitant to try.

Its good to hear you guys had a great time.

Have a great bow hunt. And as I recall, I will see you next year. But don't expect me to pamper you like Don did, cause I don't do that!

Have a great bowhunt. BB

19-Oct-12

DonVathome's embedded Photo
My elk, leavin soon for VT moose more when I return.

19-Oct-12

19-Oct-12
Good stuff...Sounds like a great wilderness hunt..Old school style..Priceless memories I`m sure..

19-Oct-12
I would have moved the elk so that the fence was not in the pics. Good luck moose hunting. Nice elk.....

19-Oct-12
"I would have moved the elk so that the fence was not in the pics."

easier said than done. plus the cattle fence is a normal feature in Elk country, it looks fine to me.

19-Oct-12
That sure is a "High" fence...hee hee. Just kidding. Congrats Don.

Good luck on the moose!

19-Oct-12
Nice looking elk!!!

19-Oct-12
nice elk but if you are going to talk how hard a area is make sure no cattle fence is in the pic it just kills it ,, heck it looks darn near flat lol

19-Oct-12
Don with that fence in the back ground it looks like you need some of Rupe's Totally Wired camo on that hunt! Congrats!!

19-Oct-12
Nice Bull!!!

Now Chuck, Did Don get to see your wig??

lets hear his side!!!

19-Oct-12
Congrats!

Good luck, Robb

20-Oct-12
Don, actually I had that darn thing in my day pack, but I'm not sure if I ever showed it to DonV!!! DANG!!!

So, after the first day Don comes up to me and says "Hey, if I don't come back at night don't worry about it and don't come looking for me and in fact go ahead and go hunting the next day too".

He then went on to tell me that he's got enough stuff in his day pack to last two days in the wilderness, but if he wasn't back at the end of the second day that I should probably start looking for him then......

The look on my faces had to have been priceless and my reply was "OK, but if I don't come back you sure as hell better come looking for me!" 8*)

21-Oct-12
DonV, where you moose hunting in VT? Shoot me a PM, i grew up hunting those creatures in that great state.

21-Oct-12
Be careful on that moose hunt!!! ;)

21-Oct-12
The good news is that the shadow on your face in the picture helps camouflage that nasty spider bite! LOL

DJ

22-Oct-12
Good post!

OFFHNTN

28-Oct-12
Nice bull Don, glad you and Chuck had a good time and a little luck here in NM. Hope you return and we can meet this time. Good luck rest of the year. Joe

29-Oct-12
so whats wrong with mountain house and MREs? lol

30-Oct-12
ccovey got this to late, VT moose a bust, tough hunt.

Chuck you enjoyin those undies I bought for you?

01-Nov-12
Also as someone mentioned it was flat and I loved it! I have watched videos of guys hunting areas like that and this was my first time. It was a pleasure (except for the heat).

MRE's were great IMO, mnt house better but I could live off MRE's for 10 days. To bulky to pack but they worked. Dinners a little small need a snack with them.

Chuck I are the one you gave me in VT thanks!

Chuck had some crap luck there, he sat water 4 times saw 4 bears and no bulls! Cow elk often, what are the odds!!!!!!!!

18-Nov-12
Don, your the man bud

• Sitka Gear