Bowsite.com on Facebook
  • Deerbuilder Food Plot Website
  • Trail Cam Photos
  • Bowsite.com Elk Section
  • Mathews Solocam
Summit Treestands Mathews Solocam Carbon Express Arrows Moultrie Game Cameras Sitka Gear LaCrosee Footwear 3RiversArchery
Whitetail Deer Section Elk Section Black, Brown, & Polar Bear Section Moose Section Mule Deer Section Sheep Section Bowfishing Section Mountain Goat Section Pronghorn Section Mountain Lion Section Wild Turkey Section Caribou Section Hogs & Exotics Section Small Game Forum Africa Section Food Plots on DeerBuilder.com Bowhunting / Archery Equipment

MT elk points

PRINTABLE VERSION

EMAIL TO A FRIEND

Messages posted to thread:
Scoot 07-Feb-13
Bigdan 07-Feb-13
Scoot 07-Feb-13
Bigdan 07-Feb-13
Scoot 07-Feb-13
SBH 07-Feb-13
Scoot 08-Feb-13
Videos

Elk Field Care: Using Panty Hose for Game Bags
by elkmtngear

Utah Spike Bull Arrow Shot
by Charlie Rehor

Elk Frontal Shot Arrow Recovery
by Charlie Rehor

Wildlife of Gardiner, Montana
by LeSausage

Put Your Video Clip Here!

I talked with Bigdan, who's an awesome source of info BTW, about this, but I still have some questions. My big picture question is this: Given that I can't elk hunt next year, what is the best way for me to get a bonus point (the point I want to increase my odds of drawing an LE tag)?

As I understand it I need to apply to a unit and get turned down to get the point. I think, but I'm not sure, that I'll also need to pay my 20% when I get an 80% refund. However, I thought as of last year I could select on the application that I don't want to take a general tag if I didn't draw my LE choice, so I'm not sure that I actually do have to eat the 20%.

So, in a nutshell, can someone please tell me the best way to get a bonus point in MT so when I do apply for an LE tag in a year or two I've got a better shot at hunting in the unit I apply for?

You can buy a bonis point for a general tag only. The only way you can get a bonis point for a LE permit is to apply for it and not get drawn.Its going to cost you the 20% theres no other way.

Thanks again, Dan, and sorry for me being so dense about how this works. After you PM'd me I started to think that because I could check the "no thanks for the general tag" box if I didn't draw the LE tag that I might be able to not have to pay the 20% to get the point. Sounds like that's not the case. Essentially it's going to cost me $180+ to get a point and not draw an Elkhorn Mnt tag.

How many years can I not put into the draw in MT and still keep my points?

two 2

Once again, thank you Dan! You are an invaluable resource to those of us who are not in the know about MT!!!

Scoot- If you accidentally draw that Elkhorn tag....you better figure out a way to get up here and hunt!:)

SBH, boy oh boy that'd be a good problem to have to figure out!

In all honesty, I don't think I'm going to do it. It's complicated in a few different ways, but I don't see paying $160+ bucks for a PP for the next several years. I know I won't hunt elk in MT for the next three years: '13=MN bear and ND muleys, '14=WY elk, '15=WY antelope. There's a small chance I could do both WY antelope and MT elk in the same year, but the odds are pretty small. I'm pretty well locked into one trip per year. The next chance I get to hunt MT will likely be '16 at the earliest. That means I'll have around $500 into points in MT. If I was going to hunt the general units in the meantime, I could justify it. However, I can't so I'm just applying for a tag I won't get and eating 20% of a very expensive application. Tough for me to justify that cost.

If I follow Bigdan's reply correctly, after getting a point last year (applied for a Breaks tag and point, didn't get the Breaks tag, hunted a general unit) I could skip applying for a point this year and next year, then get another point in 2015 and I wouldn't lose the one point I have. That way I'd have three points in 2016 when I was thinking about applying for a Breaks tag again. Does this make sense to people? Anything think my logic here makes sense in general? Or, am I missing the boat entirely?

Reply to Thread

Subject: RE: MT elk points

You are not registered - please click here to register now.

Copyright © 1996-2013 Bowsite.com
No duplication without expressed written consent of the author and Bowsite.com.

Privacy and Registration Policy