mokiman1 20-Aug-14
BlisteredHooves 21-Aug-14
David A. 21-Aug-14
lewis 21-Aug-14
Tracker 21-Aug-14
Surfbow 23-Aug-14
2rope2 24-Aug-14
16-Aug-13
He's a treasure alright, a crotchety old scoundrel that's killed more elk than smallpox! But we love him!

I say we do a bowsite raffle with proceeds going to charity and the winner gets to hunt with Bigdan! Work on that Pat! Lol, Mike

16-Aug-13
BigDan is such a bada$$!

16-Aug-13
Dan,

Did Mike just call you crotchety?:)

You have always taken the time to help out whenever I have asked for it, it is much appreciated!! I hope some day I can do something in return.

Rick

16-Aug-13
Awesome feature, Dan and Pat!

16-Aug-13
Just read the preface. VERY impressive stats, Bigdan! Looking forward to listening to the interview. He sure is a Bowsite treasure!

16-Aug-13
Did you ask him about Hoochie Momma calls...Thanks Big Dan for all the info!!

16-Aug-13
Thanks Dan! Can we see a shot placement pic of the quartering to shot that he prefers?

16-Aug-13
Big Dan thank you. I also am interested in seeing a pic of this shot placement you were talkin about with the quartering to shot. Seems you advise hitting a little higher than I would imagine. Thanks again.

16-Aug-13
TFA! Thanks Dan and Pat! Love it!

16-Aug-13
Great stuff! Dan's the encyclopedia of elk hunting.

16-Aug-13
Where does Dan get his spray tan and teeth whitening done? ;-)

16-Aug-13
Thank you Dan!! You are a true gem buddy. I'm at work and slid my ear bobs in and listened on my phone. I've got nothing done in the last 45 mins...truly amazing to be involved with calling and killing that many elk. A true master of his craft! Thanks to you too Pat for putting this together.

Dan we're still praying for ya buddy...hang in there. He's with you always! God's speed amigo!

Warren

16-Aug-13
Awesome, accurate and informative... Thank you.

16-Aug-13
Thanks Pat and Dan! Great stuff and perfect timing.

God bless!

16-Aug-13
My favorite feature in a long long time. I am in the same boat as everyone else. What I wouldn't give for a couple weeks on the mountain with him. You could not soak enough in...

16-Aug-13
My brother and I walked into Dan's archery shop in Kalispell over 25 yrs.ago.Being from Tn. we did'nt know squat about elk hunting when I mentioned our interest in hunting elk the following yr.Dan said if you draw give me a call and I'll help all I can.I'll never forget when I asked what about an outfitter he stated outfitters are a hindrance just call me.We drew successfully and I called Dan he remembered us and offered to mark our maps that he told me to get.We went by he marked them told us where to go and 20 minutes into our first hunt we bugled in a nice 5 pt.he got away but we were hooked.Dan is one of the most knowledgable and gracious hunters I have ever known.Lewis

16-Aug-13
Thank you very much Dan for this interview, it was great. Take care of yourself and have a great hunting season.

Nick

16-Aug-13
Pat and Dan, Thanks so much! I sat and listened to the entire interview on the edge of my seat. Dan, the best of luck to you in the up coming season. I look forward to seeing you sitting on a bull that you called in and closed the deal on. Pat if you are hunting elk this season, best of luck to you also. Dan, you and your family continue to be in my prayers. DD

16-Aug-13
What a fantastic interview!

Just listened to the entire thing. Lots of great info in there. Thanx so much Dan!

Dan, your grief will pass, but your memories won't. Cherish your time with your son; that will never be lost. Even though you lost him far too soon, just think how much better your life is, even now when the pain is so acute, then if you never had known Cody. You wouldn't be grieving so hard if he wasn't worth grieving for.

Family and friends really are what life is all about. Hopefully for all of us, we not only don't have to go through what Dan has, but realize and appreciate that everyday.

And even though he's in such a dark place, it really is gracious of Dan to take the time to do this for us and not wall himself off in his grief. Thanx again Dan.

Your grief will pass and we all hope it does as quickly as possible. Many tears have been shed here along with yours.

16-Aug-13
Great stuff Big Guy!

16-Aug-13
Pat: If you would have listened to Danny 13 years ago it wouldn't have taken you that long to get your first elk.

16-Aug-13
Thanks Pat and Dan nicely done as always

16-Aug-13
Pat and Big Dan, thank you for the great interview and candid answers. I love that Big Dan named AZ-Unit 9 after hunting with and calling for my friend, Marvin Z.

I would love to see an actual picture of the quartering to spot for Big Dan's favorite shot placement. Because I have been taught to NOT shoot quartered to me bulls, I have passed lots of shooter bulls facing me at 25 yards or less while looking for a BSTP (as in "BroadSide Top Pin) or quartering away shot.

Again, thank you for sharing so freely some of your elk hunting knowledge. It is really helpful to those of us who even after several years of chasing elk in the dark timber are really still neophytes compared to experienced bowhunters like Big Dan.

16-Aug-13
Hard not to repeat what's already been said but Dan and Pat, the time and effort you both put into this is very much appreciated...... Terry

16-Aug-13
One other thing I forgot if you use a cow call make sure you have two of them around your neck. They spit up and stop working at bad times. I set up two stands today for elk. I will set up two more in the morning before it gets to hot.

16-Aug-13
Thanks Dan........I do a lot of reading and not much posting.

Good info.

16-Aug-13
Thx, Pat for doing the interview.

Thx, Dan as always two fabulous pieces of information that is seldom heard from the "PROFESSIONALS".

How many times will you here someone say to get behind a tree.

Also, to sneak in from down hill when possible.

These two things alone can turn into success.

I love the favorite shot angle.

Dammit boys, these are game changers!!!

16-Aug-13
Everyone was wondering why I was wearing my headphones at work today. hee hee Great distraction on a Friday afternoon at the office listening to the interview. Just love Dan's simplistic approach to killing big bulls.

Thanks so much for sharing all your knowledge with us, Dan. Still sending prayers from IA.

16-Aug-13
wow. thanks and godbless.

16-Aug-13
Nice job Pat and Dan. You know I was told years ago to approach elk hunting like turkey hunting. I was told to always get above or at least the same level as a turkey when calling them in. Now I find out how dumb I have been!

16-Aug-13
Just finished listening to the entire interview! What an amazing man! Dan, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers, as you walk down the road to healing.

16-Aug-13
Just choked on my diaphragm trying to reproduce the "Blast."

Dan, do your lips touch when you're doing that?

16-Aug-13
I believe the blast is what I always called a "where are you" grunt, basically elknuts popping grunt. Your tone is such that you are asking for a response.

16-Aug-13
Pat , great job on the interview !!

Danny, kill a BMF this fall ok !!

16-Aug-13

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
The blast is almost a bark That didn't pick up very well on the cd, All I have here in camp is my lap top so I can't mark a photo of my frontel shot placement. It would be just above the big joint shooting on the dark hair line. Were the hair goes lite to dark. mid body. We need BB to chime in and draw the shot area.

16-Aug-13
Awesome interview Dan thanks for the great info....

16-Aug-13
Good interview Dan . I liked the lindy story. I'll have to razz him next time I see him.

16-Aug-13
Awesome interview. This close to season just helps to pump me up. Can identify with your emotion Dan. Thanks.

16-Aug-13

Kevsam's embedded Photo
Kevsam's embedded Photo
Bigdan, is this a correct interpretation of your shot placement?

16-Aug-13
I got a lot out of the interview. Thank you!

17-Aug-13
Thanks Dan. Your the man! I thought the shot placement was interesting!

17-Aug-13
You can argue it all you want, but 17/17 is tough math to beat.

17-Aug-13
Kevan that's the lower end of my shot your left and right is right on you just need to hug the neck to get under the shoulder.

17-Aug-13
So how much higher would you consider fatal above that little notch in the fur above that red dot?

And when you say "under the shoulder," you could also say inside the shoulder, as in, as long as you get on the middle side of the scapula?

As in, between the spine of the neck and the scapula?

Does that rely on hitting the carotid or jugular and a lung, or I imagine it gets both lungs if the animal is a little more quartered than this picture?

This animal above is a little less than "quartered." How far is your average retrieval with that shot above? I had that exact shot at full draw for 2 minutes last year and I passed till he turned because I didn't trust hitting him in the chest and ended up hitting him in the liver when he turned, then bolted.

17-Aug-13

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
I'd shoot lower and left.

17-Aug-13
Looks like aiming for the ham on the opposite side....sound familiar.

17-Aug-13
Dude, it's like 3 AM where you live...

17-Aug-13
I wonder if the fact this particular elk is coming up hill would call for the lower shot placement.

It looks like aiming any higher (in this image/scenario) would not result in a path through the vitals.

Now if this elk was facing down hill I would think a higher shot placement would be warranted.

Thoughts??

17-Aug-13
Got up at 1230 am...shot my bow...ate breakfast...went to the gym...showered...fixed protein shake...now off to work. This is life as the TBM. Nobody said staying on top was easy. Will try and listen to the inyerveiw later. I'm going to remimber this.

17-Aug-13
Got up at 1230 am...shot my bow...ate breakfast...went to the gym...showered...fixed protein shake...now off to work. This is life as the TBM. Nobody said staying on top was easy. Will try and listen to the inyerveiw later. I'm going to remimber this.

17-Aug-13
Dang good interview.

Thanks bigdan

Good luck, Robb

17-Aug-13
This might sound like a dumb question , but how do you get the sound for this interview ? I click the speaker after the question and just get a black box pop=up and silence.

17-Aug-13
Listened to it yesterday at work... Damn good information from an elk hunting legend. Thanks Pat and Dan

17-Aug-13
I may be wrong, but if the elk was on flat ground, the red dot would be higher and in the exact place Dan describes.

Flat ground, mid to high lung shot,,,, Just my take anyway.

17-Aug-13
"Looks like aiming for the ham on the opposite side....sound familiar."

Big difference when you go inside the front shoulder vs outside. Like the difference between killing an Elk or slicing down the outside of the ribs then telling everybody what an expert you are.

17-Aug-13
From what I have seen elk are pretty nimble for their size. Unless they were fairly close I would be afraid the wheel and go would put the shoulder blade in the arrows path. That is what happens so often with whitetails, bit elk yote a little more mustard their little cousins so I would be afraid to go behind the shoulder on them...whitetails...not so much.

17-Aug-13
Dan- thanks for sharing. Appreciate your thoughts on aggressive bugling in "the zone." Now I just gotta get into "the zone," downwind, before all those cows bust me. Guess that's why they call it hunting and not killing, right? Can't wait to give'r another try here in a month.

17-Aug-13
Bob your a little left of were I shoot. The red dot is dead on as far as left and right. And the bulls come in from up hill most of the time. So lower is best. Most of the bulls I killed with this shot are down from 50 to 150 yds.

17-Aug-13
Enjoyed the interview. Years of wisdom in those answers! Thanks for taking the time to answer them Dan. Come on September...cant wait to get to AZ!!

17-Aug-13
Thanks Dan for the interview ! It helped me out

18-Aug-13
Ditto!

You are a wealth of knowledge Dan. Thanks for taking the time.

18-Aug-13

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo
Dan, which "spot" do you shoot?

18-Aug-13
Red

18-Aug-13

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Just got done listening to the entire interview. THANK YOU Dan!

Many of us east of the Mississippi are hooked on "mini-elk" and the mystique of going west for the "big-elk" is strong but yes we are clueless.

Your consistent reminder to shoot an elk, any elk is well advised. Get er done boys!

Thanks again and may Cody's arrows fly straight and true.

18-Aug-13

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Charlie my arrows are marked the same. I put up Codys stand yesterday I had a deer come in to water when I was in it.

18-Aug-13
Thanks!!

I really enjoyed this

18-Aug-13
Dan, That was an excellent interview. Very good information. I wish one day that we could elk hunt together however I am from West Virginia and know it will never happen. I wish you the best of luck. I am still dedicating 2013 elk hunt to your son. I am very sorry for your loss. Mike

18-Aug-13
Dan, thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us! I have a few questions.

1. After listening to your tip about calling elk downhill I can see your point. Being a solo hunter most of the time I've had better luck calling them uphill and over a lip right at 15 - 20 yards where they had to start looking for where the call was coming from at that point. Many times, when a herd bull is coming in from above, they tend to hang up on me. Am I not calling from thick enough cover?

2. Mountain winds swirl. That's a given. But my hunting units are all in the mountains, typically hunting at 10,000 - 12,000 feet in the nosebleed section of the hunting bleachers. I tend to find long valleys (4+ miles) that have more consistent wind patterns. What else can I do to find those areas in the mountains with more consistent wind?

3. You briefly mentioned sitting on wallows. What are two or three early season wallow tactics that would help us be more successful?

Thanks again. I'm combining what you've shared with what I'm learning from Paul Medel. I'll have more arrows in my arsenal this fall.

Dan, I grew up in Libby, Montana. I know Trout Creek, Noxon, the Cabinet Wilderness Area, Lost Prairie near McGregor Lake (between Libby and Kalispell) and many other areas where I saw elk while working as a Forester up there. I tip my hat your way. That is tough country to hunt elk in. It's thick, steep, and the elk numbers are low compared to other states. The Missouri Breaks are a different story.

Thanks,

David

18-Aug-13
Pat and Dan thanks for taking the time to put this interview together. I will need to listen to it 10 more times to make sure I catch everything and get it all to sink into my thick skull.

18-Aug-13
Great interview, really enjoyed it. Thanks guys.

18-Aug-13
Thank you both, truly enjoyed it and learned a lot. TK

18-Aug-13
David in the breaks there is not much cover.In the west were I hunted there is lots of cover. I have had lots of bulls hang up down hill from me. Many more than uphill Wallows are better in the prerut before the bulls cow up. The place in the interview were I talk about have three bulls from three directions wind me was Robins run in Trout creek.

18-Aug-13
WW: Pat: If you would have listened to Danny 13 years ago it wouldn't have taken you that long to get your first elk.

Ooooh that stings...

Greg

18-Aug-13
Thanks Pat and Dan! Definitely some great info on that interview. The one thing that sticks with me is in the end, how basic your strategies are. Sometimes we really try to hard to over complicate things. Get in close, get the wind right, make a real challenge, let the bull feel like he has the advantage (up hill)and give yourself some cover to draw your bow. You can't argue with the success! Thanks again.

18-Aug-13

CO_Bowhunter's embedded Photo
CO_Bowhunter's embedded Photo
Thanks Dan. You're the expert. I'll be trying your "calling bulls downhill" tactics this year. I'll also be sitting on wallows from August 31 - September 10.

Oh what I'd give to be able to hunt the entire season nonstop. My longest stretch will be six days at the end of the season.

Here's a bull I called in by myself a few years ago. I called this one uphill, using a cow elk butt Montana decoy. Once he saw the decoy behind me about 35 yards he came past me at about 12 yards. He dropped when I shot and I hit the main artery along the back. He sprayed lodgepole pine with blood as high as 8 feet up the trunk. He only went 100 yards and piled up.

I hope to repeat the process again this fall.

18-Aug-13
CO Bowhunter that the size bulls that cow calls are deadly with Keep up the good work.

19-Aug-13
Pat thanks for doing this interview. Very well done and some great questions.

BigDan thanks for sharing some valuable info for the elk hunters on this site. You are a person I could listen to talk about elk all day. Thanks for taking time out of you day to try and help others.

Prayers will continue for you and your family. Good luck this year.

RG

19-Aug-13
I think I would give a one of my very important part of my male anatomy in order to bugle like that!! Man...

19-Aug-13
great interview!

19-Aug-13
Dan, Incredible advice........once I listened to Q #1......it was a "non stop flight" straight through!!! Thanks a million for sharing!

Pat, Very nicely done! Providing us the opportunity to ask questions and participate was great!

You two just helped a lot more elk find their arrow this fall!!!

Mark

19-Aug-13
I don't know whether it was just me, but I enjoyed the interview more than any of these hunting shows. I would like to see more of these interviews with experts in their field. It was amazing how Dans tactics paralleled turkey tactics. No wonder turkey hunters make good elk hunters.

19-Aug-13
Awesome feature! Thanks Bigdan and Pat.

19-Aug-13
Thanks Dan! That was fantastic!!!

19-Aug-13
Bigdan is a jewel of knowledge. I listen to people who have been there/done that and Bigdan is an alpha dog!

Thanks for sharing Dan and thanks to Pat for bringing thos to us.

I just got back from scouting and hope to put this additional knowledge to use in a month or so.

19-Aug-13
Thank you Dan for sharing your knowledge.

19-Aug-13
Thanks BigDan for the unselfish interview. For some reason people become selfish and care more about their ego then wanting others to succeed. I have listened to your interviews twice now. The first time I just listened and the second time I took a few notes and printed them out to store in my binocular case, so that I can have a quick glance whenever I ask myself what I should do in a particular instance. My favorite answer from you was that you have to be where the elk are. With that being said and realizing I won’t kill an elk from my desk I just put in for 4 straight weeks off. I told my boss that it was advised by my expert council to spend more time hunting then working during bow season. So it looks like I will be just over the river from you for most of the season. Maybe I will head your way 1 evening and we can talk elk. I was questioning going back to the breaks this year, but after I scouted the West Kootenai yesterday and all I saw were wolf tracks I realized that I will have a much better chance of harvesting a bull in the breaks then North West Montana.

19-Aug-13
Thanks guys I thought Pat was crazy when he ask me to do this. At first I wanted him to give me his questions ahead of time. But I think that not knowing what he was going to ask helped me answer his questions more like just talking to buddy about hunting elk. I hope some of you were helped out. I'm not trying to sell you a call or anything else just trying to help. Good luck to all you guys this year.

19-Aug-13
Lots of great info on the interview. Thanks to Pat and Dan for sharing!!!!

19-Aug-13
Thanks Pat and Dan. This is some really great stuff!!! Can never get too much info about chasin' them things. Especially from a great down to Earth source

19-Aug-13
Now you went and did it Big Dan!!! Now we are going to have some big hunting companys fighting over who will be mass producing "The Blast". In all sincerity, great interview. Thanks to both Dan and Pat. Best thing Ive seen in awhile!

19-Aug-13
"Thanks guys I thought Pat was crazy when he ask me to do this. At first I wanted him to give me his questions ahead of time. But I think that not knowing what he was going to ask helped me answer his questions more like just talking to buddy about hunting elk. I hope some of you were helped out. I'm not trying to sell you a call or anything else just trying to help. Good luck to all you guys this year."

I'll take 2 of those calls you're sellin!

Can you describe how you do the blast? I think I have it close, but I don't want to actually bark and clear the mtn. What kind of throat sounds do you add to that??

As w/ the others, can't thank you enough for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

19-Aug-13
A BIG thank you to Pat and Dan.

Dan, I appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions.

You are a gem sir and a great asset to our community.

Thanks again Gentlemen,

Ty

19-Aug-13
The Good Stuff...thanks to you both.

Zip'

19-Aug-13
Best feature yet! Last year was my first elk hunt, an over the counter solo back pack hunt. I have no friends or family that elk hunt so knowone to really learn from. You can only learn so much from reading, sometimes I felt like I didn't even know what questions I needed to be asking. I feel like Dan is sitting in my living room and I am the one asking questions. Thanks to the both of you.

19-Aug-13
Danny that was a great interview, thanks much. A lot of little tips and knowledge in there for sure, picked up several in just a few clips.

Compared to Bigdan all I know about elk is they have four legs. But he has always helped me, encouraged me along the way, from when I asked him years ago about calling or not "the guys telling you not to call are just not very good at calling. Practice. Get good at it. It works" Straight forward information, no "this is how you do it" just "learn it, practice, get good". Solid uncluttered stuff. No magic pills or tricks, just practice, learn, work on it. And spot on. It works. Just like he said.

From that to literally making the "x" on the map, he has been unselfish and free to share his knowledge. But he wants to see commitment. Told me he'd help me with the maps even. But wouldn't do it till I told him the tags were in my hot little hands.... LOL!

Hopefully I can help out somebody someday the way you helped me. Thanks Danny. Pretty cool.

19-Aug-13
Dan and Pat,

Since the audio recording of the famous "Blast" was difficult to hear, maybe we could get a video or audio posted if that's possible. Just an idea.

I echo everyone's comments. Dan's the man. No fluff, no hyperbole, just the facts. We didn't have to hear between the lines.

Thanks!

19-Aug-13
Thanks Big Dan and Pat. The best feature on here in along time!

Big Dan, I did my first elk hunt in 2007, and I spent a lot of time on hear asking questions. I remember back then that you were one of the guys who were very willing to share your knowledge. Thank you my friend.

19-Aug-13
I think Pat is hunting in Greenland

19-Aug-13
What a precursor to elk season. can I get a big Hill yeah. This should be required listening!

I got more out of this interview than I did in in ten years of reading and watching videos.

It is not often that you can get info that you can bank on.

Dan, I will have an arrow with Cody's name on it. I will be in the Snoweys looking down on the breaks thinking about your hunts.

Pat, once again FABULOUS!

19-Aug-13
Man! How awesome was that?!! Great interview and I just learned more than I did on my 9 day elk hunt a couple years ago in about an hour. Thanks much!!

19-Aug-13
One of the best posts on Bowsite ever. Period. Excellent info from someone who knows what they are doing and has no "skin" in the game in terms of trying to sell a product through hunting. Nothing wrong with that but just encouraging to see a guy who just flat out kills bulls.

Maybe Dan Evans would be willing to do one next? He is another guy who puts em down and would have a lot to offer if he's willing.

Thanks Dan and Well Done!

20-Aug-13
I started listening to the first couple last night while I was waiting for my wife and daughter at my daughter's school open house, and couldn't stop! I ended up listening to everything last night, and there's not many ways to describe that other than awesome.

Someone who is good with writing (Writer?) should try to sit down with him and cronicle Big Dan's top 10 or 20 hunts. That's a book I'd buy and read every year to get pumped up for elk season.

Thanks Big Dan!

Seriously, who else has killed multiple bulls in two different states within 15 or 20 minutes? Crazy...

20-Aug-13
A very heartfelt thank you Dan. I am working my way through the audios, and haven't had time to get all of it listened to yet. I am always amazed by Dan's willingness to help others and his selfless sharing of information.

Leaving for MT in 17 days!

20-Aug-13
I have shared the link with a fellow British Bowhunter who will be inbound for the start of CO's season in GMU 6 (with three fellow British bowhunters)...every word a pearl; thanks for sharing Dan

Kenneth (a British Bowhunter and Proud of It)

21-Aug-13
Thanks Big Dan. I'm on my way out to Colorado for my first elk hunt and would be happy with a pisshead or cow as you say. I've learned to bugle pretty well with a diaphragm and got a cow call down pretty well.

Sitting here at 5 in the morning with tears in my eye's again over your loss as I listened to the last audio. Pray you have a good season and Cody's spirit is strongly present with you.

21-Aug-13
Turkey you can go back and edit what you posted so we can read it click on the little box by the alert editor logo. You guys that are headed out be safe on your trip. and lets punch some tags.

21-Aug-13
+1 Gaur...I really wasn't ready for the last audio segment; thoughts and prayers from this side of the Atlantic to you and yours Dan...will make sure I have a 'Cody' arrow in my quiver for sure

Kenneth (A British Bowhunter and Proud of It)

21-Aug-13
Thanks Bigdan!! will certainly be listening to it when I am not driving on our way to Colorado in 10 days. Hopefully remembering some of this wisdom to put to use on the mountain myself!

21-Aug-13
Good stuff Dan! Thanks again for sharing!

21-Aug-13
Dan,

I truly appreciate the time you made to conduct the interview. I’m heading to NM for a guided hunt on private property middle of Sept; will try and remember some of the things you have taught us.

Thanks again for the great interview.

VR

Russell

22-Aug-13
Great interview! Thanks Bigdan and Pat.

22-Aug-13
If you're off just a few inches on that shot placement you've just wounded a fine elk. There's a good chance of that at distances farther than 20 yes. esp. in the excitement of the moment. Let's be realistic about this.

Why not let the bull walk by and take a slightly quartering away shot. An additional benefit is bow movement will be less likely to be noticed. With Dan's method, yes, you can draw undetected behind a sufficiently large tree (e.g. a large Ponderosa pine), but even then, you have to move your bow to the elk to get on target and that small movement can spook the elk esp. at the closer range one should be at to insure the neck shot tight accuracy requirement.

I'd rather let the elk move slightly past me and take a higher probability shot on a more relaxed elk. Further, this method doesn't require finding a large tree to hide behind. I can't argue against Dan's success per se, but I think this aspect isn't the strongest link and can be improved.

22-Aug-13
David I have never wounded A bull with this shot. And have had more bulls spook waiting for them to walk by. If you don't like the shot don't take it. But I don't need you to tell me the shot don't work. It does and I kill elk with it.

22-Aug-13
I didn't say it won't work. I'd take "your shot" myself if everything was right, but I'm concerned a lot of guys will stretch the accuracy factor into longer shots and it does demand a fairly tight arrow placement.

Secondly, do you use full 3D leafy camo? An elk shouldn't spook unless you move or get a wind shift. Either method can work (or fail depending upon one's perspective), the question is which overall produces a higher probability of a positive outcome. Obviously you think your shot is superior, but it depends on really nailing the shot.

Another factor, a lot of trad. bowhunters aren't going to be that comfortable with pre drawing as your method requires. On top of that, you really need a big tree or a very thick bush unless you are prepared to hold for a long time (which is possible with high let offs).

Let me add, I've killed three nice mule deer with neck shots and it can be very lethal but it's not something I prefer even on close range shots as all were.

In recent yrs. I have gone to 3D leafy suits and have had good luck in having elk walk right by me. Most of the videos I watch the hunter is not that hard to see, esp. the face. Full leafy camo or a ghillie suit is a game changer. I prefer the 3D camo because it is so light and more practical for the elk hunter.

22-Aug-13
Since there is another thread in the elk forum specifically on this shot, I won't reply more about it here.

22-Aug-13
I were a long sleeve tee shirt and camo pants. If I wore Flo orange I could get the shot. The wind is what screws you unless you know how to make that change as the elk walks by catching your wind. You do it the way you want and I will do it my way.

22-Aug-13
The elk hunter can do it your way or either way depending upon conditions. 3D camo is only going to help.

22-Aug-13
Thanks again to Pat,. and to Dan Bowsite always finds a way to help educate!! Great interview! Thanks again Dan!!

24-Aug-13

4FINGER's embedded Photo
4FINGER's embedded Photo
Dan...I enjoyed your Interview (Thank You Pat)...I voice bugled and enjoyed a very good amount of success but it was pretty rough on the vocal cords...I met and listened to you Bugle over 30 years ago when I was in Kalispell for a visit...I've been trying to mimick what I heard/Learned from you since that day with a Bugle and It's been very productive...I've never heard anyone better on a Call than you Dan...Thank you for sharing your thoughts and tips...We will be Chasing a Bull for my son in a few Days and hopefully will Send/Post a Picture when our trip is Done...Your "Cody" arrows...Class Tribute my friend...Thanks again for sharing your experiences/knowledge with us/me...Hope all have a Memorable Season...4finger

25-Aug-13
Can't argue with the experience, results, and advice given in this interview. The willingness to help others is also a noble venture. But this interview was advice that should be heard by "trophy hunters" not real "hunters"....

That's good advice if you're a "trophy hunter"....I'm a "hunter" and there is a huge difference. Saying to an out of state hunter to "stay at home" if you can't hunt more than a week is terrible advice, especially when elk hunting is funded on the backs of out of state tag fees. If you need to shoot a huge bull to be happy or to prove to yourself that it was a bigger challenge than a satellite or a cow than I feel sorry for you and the true spirit of hunting has been lost in you.

Even if you can only hunt a day, a weekend, or a week. If those hours or days provide you with a quality experience then it was worth it. Don't let someone else define what a successful hunt is for you, you be the one who sets that standard. I would never, ever tell someone that "If you can't hunt for more than a week, you might as well stay home".

25-Aug-13
fross maybe you missed the part about just filling your tag on any elk. My first 5 elk were cows. If I shot the first elk I could I would only get to hunt one or two days a year. If you come out west for a weeks hunt on public land your wasting your money.

25-Aug-13
Again...I would never allow someone to place a value on my hunting/outdoor adventure, nor would I do the same to them. Telling someone they need "x" amount of time to enjoy themselves is so far outside the spirit of hunting that is ridiculous.

I have hunted elk many years as an out of state hunter, never more than a week, and every trip was a great time and I wouldn't have changed a thing. I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy what is in front of them.....even for a week.

25-Aug-13
I guess if you are not a trophy hunter then disregard the part about trophy hunting. It's that simple. Maybe you missed the part about for new hunters take the first elk you get an opportunity on. Try listening to part 15 again he clearly states shoot what you want and why he set the bar higher on what HE (not you) was going to take.

Part 21 "What is your secret to all your public land success". Basically spend as much time as you possibly can in a place and your odds go up. Pretty much self explanatory. I too am an out of state elk hunter and think his advice on spending two weeks or more is dead on.

And in my definition of "real" hunter ANY person that has taken 50 plus elk DYI on public land would surely qualify for the title of "REAL" hunter. Even if it was 50 cows.

Thanks again Pat and Dan, some will get it some won't.

RG

29-Aug-13
Great interview. Very insightful and a pleasure to listen to.

29-Aug-13
Thanks a lot Big Dan. You are always a class act. You were very willing to share tips with me a couple years back when I drew for the Breaks.

Your interview was very helpful. Good luck this year!

30-Aug-13
Dan- write a book of your hunting stories or tell them to someone to write down. Would be an awesome book.

30-Aug-13
Nice job guys. The interview is a "must listen" for anyone that wants to get better at elk hunting.

30-Aug-13
What an amazing man, scouting Colorado for the first time presented many questions, after listening to Dan, I have more confidence to stick with what has been successful for me which is reed bugling during the rut. Although this hunt will be tougher than all my AZ hunts, I still feel all things are possible through a positive attitude coupled with persistence... Thanks Dan, and Thank You Pat for taking the time to present such a fountain of knowledge to all of us.

30-Aug-13
Thanks bigdan you are the elk god your info is priceless.I wish guys on here would just listen and keep their comments to themselves.

30-Aug-13

city hunter's embedded Photo
city hunter's embedded Photo
I was lucky last year to spend 30 days in WY hunting elk with Bigdan . It doesn't get any better then that . Even after all them elk kills Dan comes to life when he talks elk . I had a friend stop by our camp kind of weird he's never come to any of my elk camps before ,He didn't come to see me came to see Bigdan :> . We had locals in and out of our camp all wanting to talk with Dan . I was shocked how helpful Dan was to other bow hunters hunting the same unit .

I was once told a trade is never learned it is stolen .I hope I was able to steal a little of Dan's elk hunting skills .

I absorbed as much as I could from watching and listening to Dan bugle them bulls .

Plus Dan is great with maps landmarks etc his woodsman skills are a key factor in his hunting elk.

Im a lucky guy to call Dan a friend .

31-Aug-13
Thanks bigdan you are the elk god your info is priceless.I wish guys on here would just listen and keep their comments to themselves.

31-Aug-13
I think what Bigdan meant is if you are serious about KILLING an elk..... then a handful of days isn't the way to go about it..... LOL! It can take a week or more just to find them!

Some, just the experience of going and being out there is good enough, and that's fine, nothing wrong with that if that's you goal.

Personally I go to kill an elk, period. I'm not on vacation. I can reflect on the experience much easier with meat in the cooler. What this entire interview was about was killing elk. Not how to enjoy yourself walking around in the forest.

It was a goldmine of elk hunting information. Thanks again Danny. And I second what Pat said. Part Deux would be great.

22-Oct-13
if at all possible i would like to hear more of Dans call the BLAST.

13-Nov-13
Thanks Pat for doing something that really needed to be done and bringing it to all of us.

Thanks Bigdan for giving so much to so many. I have used and will continue to use your advice.

David A. and Fross. Posts like yours ruined the whole discussion for me. My thoughts turned from what a great guy Bigdan is to what jerks you guys were to disrespect someone who has killed more elk than the both of you put together. Bigdan was just stating what has obviously worked for him. You guys are the reason I have been on a different site for a few months. Maybe I'll check back in a few months. To bad because this is an awesome place to learn from some really great bow hunters.

20-Nov-13
Awesome, Thanks for the wisdom!

17-Aug-14
Bigdan, I fully intend to take yours and others advice to kill the first legal elk that presents me with a shot. That being said, would you still call them downhill if you were going to shoot a small bull or cow?

17-Aug-14
Great Q & A. Thank you very much, very informative.

18-Aug-14
Being down hill works better for all bulls. I can't tell you about cows. I don't cow call. The last time I shot one it was over water from a stand.

18-Aug-14
This is the best post I have ever seen,Dan and Pat thank you both for it.I have killed my share of elk,but always trying to learn more.Thanks again

19-Aug-14
There really ought to be a 'Big Book of BigDan on Elkhunting'

20-Aug-14
Excellent Q&A especially the quartering shot of Elk coming at you and uphill approaching Elk.

21-Aug-14
That is the best interview. I hunt just like him. Great hunter who shares the passion. Share your info and you will be surprised. I too have been blamed for giving away info but I know the only person who keeps me from getting a elk down is me, not someone else.

21-Aug-14
Coolcop, stay cool, I assure you no disrespect was intended. I believe you're overacting a bit because I'm pretty much in agreement with what Dan has suggested.

And even when I do disagree with someone, it doesn't mean I disrespect them. I find it very unfortunate more people don't appreciate honest debate and contrary positions...but I digress because in this case there only variance was that I prefer full 3D camo and Dan doesn't.

Thanks, Dan for your excellent straight to the advice and comments. Good hunting this season.

21-Aug-14
Great info as always Danny boy good luck in Az. Please keep me posted Lewis

21-Aug-14
Dan Not sure why it took me so long to go through this interview but I'm glad I got to it today. Best advice I have had the privilege to listen to. I am off to Colorado next week to hunt and call for my best friend who was fortunate enough to draw the lone NR Archery Bull tag for Unit 2. I will definitely be employing some of your tactics. Good luck this year.

23-Aug-14
Great feature Pat and Dan! Thanks for taking the time to enlighten the unschooled crowd Dan...

24-Aug-14
Thanks guys. That was awesome.

• Sitka Gear