mn_archer 07-Sep-14
huntinelk 07-Sep-14
TurkeyBowMaster 07-Sep-14
27-Sep-13

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
For Surfbow

27-Sep-13
Smart people that spend a lot of time outdoors buy Subarus, I've owned 3.

Way to go.

27-Sep-13
hope thats not the wifes ride

27-Sep-13
test drove one today, need a 2nd vehicle, son is driving soon.

27-Sep-13
I think that here in the Northeast you have to be a card carrying Liberal to buy a Subaru.

Pretty sure they come with a "Hillary 2016" Bumper Sticker preinstalled.

27-Sep-13
Ace, don't confuse the Lezbaru with the Libaru....two different models!

27-Sep-13
"I think that here in the Northeast you have to be a card carrying Liberal to buy a Subaru."

Not true.........My FIL has been buying subaru's for a long time and he is faaaaaarrrrrrr from being a liberal.

27-Sep-13

otcWill's MOBILE embedded Photo

Nobody laughed at me on my ride home either. Quite a few thumbs up though! Rack definitely wouldn't fit inside

27-Sep-13
"hope thats not the wifes ride"

Yeah, r-man, wife's ride. Don't worry, I'm sure she'll get it detailed...

"And I hope he does take a victory lap around some liberal PETA enclave...."

Funny you mention it TD, my dad and I joked about taking the 80 all the way to the 5 so we could run through San Fran on the way home... We took the 15 though and I got home an hour before I had to get ready for work.

27-Sep-13
Something tells me you got better than the 15 mpg from my Toyota Tundra with quad in the back fully loaded

27-Sep-13
I've been seriously considering trading in the truck for a Subaru. My wife has a Subaru Tribeca and the AWD is impressive. The only problem is that I may never get permission from a farmer to hunt his land again!

27-Sep-13
My partner and I had our two racks strapped on our ATV trailer, and we got pulled over by a State Trooper. He was supposedly concerned about the tailights on the trailer, but never asked for registration, insurance, or anything else, just wanted to check tags and to know the story of the bulls...

27-Sep-13
hahahaha! love it!

27-Sep-13
I used my wifes outback for my 2010 San Juan elk hunt. Saved me about $2000 in fuel vs my truck for the 48 days I was down there scouting and hunting that year.

http://www.c3di.com/images/san-juan-2010/hunt/ready-to-roll.jpg

Good stuff for sure.

Cheers, Pete

27-Sep-13
I noticed the two different rims; kinda hard to get a 10ply in that size ain't it.

27-Sep-13
Thats pretty sweet. Doing blackpowder for deer in the morning tomorrow. I may just tie the whole critter to the roof rack when I get one. The lezbaru takes a licking and keeps on ticking....282K on the odometer.

27-Sep-13
Jaquomo to use the term "partner" in any reference with Lezbaru's gives a slightly strange connotation. Just saying.

Idyillwild, slap on some truck nuts to that rig and with that rack, you will have more than manned up. Well done sir.

27-Sep-13
I likey, I really do...few tie a set of horns to the top of your isuisu you might be a redneck.

27-Sep-13
Outdoorsdude, that rim has a long, long story attached to it that I won't tell because it gets my blood boiling, but I'll give the setting and the conversation before the new wheel was needed:

The setting:

Last month, scouting unit 83 with my wife, 25 miles from the nearest paved road. I let her drive so I could look at the GPS.

The conversation:

"Babe, why are you driving so fast? Slow down. Babe, slow down. SLOW DOWN!!! OH SHI"

BAM

27-Sep-13

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
I am considering this Subaru Crosstrek as my second vehicle. I love my 2011 Grand Cherokee ltd, has everything I would ever want and can get up to 21 MPG, but this gets 33mpg. I will commute with it (110 miles a day) and let my son take the jeep which is too nice a vehicle for a teen, and we swap on weekends.

27-Sep-13

I am considering this Subaru Crosstrek as my second vehicle. I love my 2011 Grand Cherokee ltd, has everything I would ever want and can get up to 21 MPG, but this gets 33mpg. I will commute with it (110 miles a day) and let my son take the jeep which is too nice a vehicle for a teen, and we swap on weekends.

27-Sep-13
I will give you boys a little gem.

Jeep Liberty COMMON RAIL DIESEL 2006 4 x 4 dang thing gets great mileage about 25 city and with a few engine mods about 34 highway. Plus it doesn't look as liberal or lizzy. Plus it actual has cheap off road gear available for it.

28-Sep-13
Cant drive a Subi around here unless you have an obama sticker on it and plan on driving 10 mph below the speed limit in the left lane. They are so predictable around here. Cant stand them or their drivers.

29-Sep-13
If I took six spares and a hammer and chisel for the gumbo I may make it out hunting for one afternoon, that's assuming I don't high center it which looks highly unavoidable!

29-Sep-13
otcWill.... not even a towel or some kind of padding under that? Wow.... even a mule wouldn't like that let alone a wife. Did she kick you?

One time a hippy buddy of my brothers drove a rack east for me on the roof of his Saab. He said he got lots of thumbs ups along the way.

29-Sep-13
It don't matter how you get there as long as you get there.Next year maybe a smart car?

29-Sep-13
Jack, those Crosstreks have absolutely no balls. Have you driven one?

29-Sep-13
Ike, that sure looks like the turn off to Long Creek. What day did they open the road back up?

29-Sep-13
otcWill. I hope that dent came out. If not I'am sure it was worth it.

29-Sep-13
Idlywildarcher,

Were you hunting south Colorado OTC? I swear on my life I saw a subaru at a trailhead I hunted this year and thought to myself, "I think I saw this guy on Bowsite." If so, small world....

29-Sep-13
No, I was in Wyoming

29-Sep-13
Maybe not quite that small. A beautiful trophy and better table fare...Congrats. Salud!

30-Sep-13

huntdoug's embedded Photo
huntdoug's embedded Photo
Kia suspension little soft for hauling Wyoming Elk and antelope back to Wisconsin. got-r-done

24-Oct-13
I'm waiting for Subaru to come out with the HUNTING badge of ownership! (have the camping, hiking and biking already ;-)

I have a 2014 Forrester and LOVE it! I call it my "almost truck"! ;-)

Jack Harris- check out the Forrester- I am getting almost 32 mpg highway. Put on 100 miles a day. Keep my treestand, rubbermaid with hunting clothes/gear AND bow case in the back. Love the easy cargo access, even with a hitch hauler on the back.

24-Oct-13

I think that here in the Northeast you have to be a card carrying Liberal to buy a Subaru. Pretty sure they come with a "Hillary 2016" Bumper Sticker preinstalled.

NOT SO! I'll post the one's I have on my Forrester.

24-Oct-13
Nice Subaru! Weird antenna!

24-Oct-13

elkmtngear's Link
Wish I had a picture of my little '83 Toyota Tercel hatchback we loaded down with 2 elk back in 1994.

Back end was almost dragging the ground on our trip home from CO to NorCal!

Blew the motor a month after we got back...someone was looking out for us!

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

24-Oct-13
I had a '96 AWD Legacy sedan that carried more deer out of the woods than the Jeep Wrangler I owned, concurrently, did. The trunk mat was so blood-soaked that it became..."aromatic".

I had that lil car in places (on logging/firewood trails)that had never seen a road.

24-Oct-13

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I get a lot of strange looks when people see my bumper stickers here in the PA/NY/NJ area:

24-Oct-13

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

24-Oct-13

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

24-Oct-13

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

28-Oct-13
Haha, attaboy Idyllwild! I was hoping you'd post a pic like that!

29-Oct-13
Congratulations!

29-Oct-13

Quinn @work's embedded Photo
Quinn @work's embedded Photo
Nice bull!

Here's a picture I dug up from 2005 of my wife's Lezbaru I borrowed for the weekend. Back seat down with 4 coolers and camping gear. Got a lot of thumbs up on the 2 hour drive home.

30-Oct-13
You might be a redneck if you posted pictures on this thread.

30-Oct-13
I seen a guy in Ridgway Co this year with a really nice 6x6 strapped to the top of his subaru. He was picking up his meat at the processor while we were butchering mine. Im sure he got a lot of strange looks on his way home!

30-Oct-13

Dinkshooter@work's embedded Photo
Dinkshooter@work's embedded Photo
Saw this on the interstate the other day. Guy had a pretty blonde in the front seat as well. Living large!

30-Oct-13
OTC That is one wide bull. What did he tape out at?

30-Oct-13

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I love it when they won't fit inside!

I wonder how they would have looked on the roof of my Bimmer (BMW)

30-Oct-13

RDH's embedded Photo
RDH's embedded Photo
I think they like the ride outside (fresh air)better then inside.

30-Oct-13

RDH's embedded Photo
RDH's embedded Photo
Sorry here is the pic I ment to post.

21-Nov-13
Bump. I could keep this going for years! Love this thread, some of the killinest subi's in the country on here

21-Nov-13
And know? Illinois felt the wrath of the Subaru last week

21-Nov-13
No pics today I guess, internal server error

21-Nov-13

21-Nov-13
Nice work Will. Did you get both of those?

22-Nov-13
Thanks, Ike. Nope, the lil one is my best whitey to date. Was gonna haul the 145lb doe I shot onto the roof for pic but I think she'd of collapsed the sucker,lol! I got a bunch of pics/storytelling to post from this season when I get a chance

22-Nov-13

Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
We had to strap these racks on the ATVs for the ride home this year. The local WCO told me several people called in to "report" us as we drove down the canyon.

Then two miles from home a State Trooper pulled my hunting partner over (tail light out on the trailer, which he wouldn't know since it was daylight). He was looking for us when we got on the highway. He didn't ask for drivers license or registration, only for the tags.

Turns out he was a rifle hunter who used to live near where we hunted. Good guy, wanted the story of the hunt.

22-Nov-13

Pyrannah's embedded Photo
Pyrannah's embedded Photo
Wow thought i was the only one!!!! This one just got back from an 850 mile trip to iowa rut!!!!! I got some looks while there rhough lol!!!!

10-Dec-13
NICE! :)

How do you like the '14, Pyrannah?

I'm looking forward to taking mine down the 3 mile snow/ice covered S.F. road(UNmaintained) this late bow season and getting all the funny looks from guys drivin' big 4x4's!

11-Dec-13

huntinelk's embedded Photo
Here is one from 1995 when Subys were the real deal, cheap go anywhere, real 4 wheel drive. I had bought this one from a bank repo sale for $600.00 it was a 1988. I broke my ankle racing motocross on Sun., went to dr Mon morning got it casted and headed from PA to CO, with my buddy who had m.s. so he couldn't drive. I had a cut off broom handle to run the gas when I was taking off, so I could push the clutch with my good leg. We got plenty of looks on the highway, and a lot more on the muddy, snow covered 2 tracks in the mountains.

11-Dec-13

11-Dec-13
Nice, huntinelk! Hadn't seen this in a while but in response to Mule and Bownut: No padding and yes the dent was worth it! Actually its been there for a while before this guy got the ride, wink. I beat this thing up worse than you can imagine and she just keeps on hauling meat for me, HA

11-Dec-13

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Haul'n some pheasants and setters this time of year!

11-Dec-13
Love it...

12-Dec-13
now THATS an entertaining thread

17-Dec-13

TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo

17-Dec-13
TBM is that roadkill laying up there?

17-Dec-13
Naa, just my third bowkill...if I don't pick up the pace I want be above picking one up if its still warm.

17-Dec-13
Improved? Yes, but still a lezbo car.

17-Dec-13
TBM, how many deer do you need to kill per year to eat all year? How many mouths in your house?

18-Dec-13
We need to kill at least 6 to feed us 4 through the year. Our 2 boys eat like adults.

06-Aug-14

Camp David's mower motivated me to post up the rack I made for the Lezbaru a couple days ago.

Made with 1/2 inch CDX and 1/2 inch U bolts.

I got this idea from all the Mexican dudes that roll around with plywood in the back of their trucks to extend the bed up to hold more trimmed tree branches.

I still have to screw down the front 2x4 that was cut to the angle to make it more aerodynamic, drill and screw some eye bolts for tie downs, paint it flat black for weather protection/lessen the redneck factor, and I'm thinking of attaching a 6-8 inch piece of plywood to the front on an angle, screwed to the front 2x4, angling down to the top of the car so air doesn't go under the rack.

I already took it up to 75 mph and it doesn't rattle or whistle. I stood on the top and it holds my weight no problem.

Thule rack: $1000. Home made Mexican engineering: $35.

I'm hoping to be rolling home to CA with 4 elk racks on this thing come late Sept.

06-Aug-14
Nice!

07-Aug-14
I picked up a new 2010 Subaru Legacy for my wife. Had it served at Subaru regularly. It lasted a whopping 51,000 miles and the head gasket went out which took out the short block. Total $5,000.00. It was out of warranty but Subaru covered it anyway. I then did some research and found that Subaru's are notorious for head gasket problems. I immediately traded it in on a new Honda Accord. I've owned new Toyotas, Chevys, Dodge, Subaru, Honda, and a Mazda. Subaru was the only one that had a major problem in less then 100,000 miles. On the bright side I bought my daughter a 2012 Subaru Impreza and she got broad sided by an SUV at 50 mph in the drivers side. Should have killed her. She came out of it with some cuts, bumps, and bruises. They are very safe, but they still need to be dependable.

07-Aug-14
I have a Honda Civic as a commuter (although I haven't driven it in over a month now that I don't commute).

Put 210,000 miles on it with just tires every 70k, oil changes every 6k, and a timing belt every 100k. It still has the stock rear breaks at 210k miles.

That said, I wouldn't put my wife and 2 children in a Honda. The Lezbaru has a 5 star crash rating, has 57 air bags, and is lined with steel bars.

I'm good with just life insurance for me. Life insurance is not ok for the girls.

07-Aug-14
Atta baby Ike...

07-Aug-14
Picked up a 2014 Lezbaru Outback this year to replace my aging Nissan xterra. I miss the X but would not trade my OB for one that's for sure. I was getting 320 on a tank of gas ands then it was taking 18.5 gals to fill it back up. With the OB I get 500 miles on a tank and it takes 16.5 or under to fill up. Plus is the light snow we get here it has performed just as well. Hope to haul a few Whitetail back in it this year.

07-Aug-14

LongbowLes's embedded Photo
LongbowLes's embedded Photo
Nice rack Ike. My '96 outback made the made it into the family Christmas card last year. I'm looking forward to giving a ram a ride home this year.

07-Aug-14
Looks good, Idyl. Still a gay car.....not that there's anything wrong with that.

07-Aug-14
Currently on our 6th Subaru, and getting ready to dump the F-150 for another Forester. With a roof rack and hitch hauler, I can get everything I want, wherever I want, at 3 times the gas mileage. My next door neighbor owns a Subaru repair shop, and he's figured out how to put a 1.5" lift on it, too. Heavy duty ATV winch behind the front bumper/push bar and I'm good to go.

07-Aug-14
Ike,

That is awesome. make sure you post pics with the elk and gear loaded on it.

Julius

07-Aug-14
You guys make some great Lezbaru salesmen!

07-Aug-14
Subaru Redemption..There IS hope for the brand.

07-Aug-14
Oh and that's my mom's Crosstrek and my wife's Forester in the background. No coexist stickers on any of em:)

07-Aug-14
I get looks for the "coexist" sticker I put on my hunting truck!!

I never knew what lezbaru meant until now and I live in Colorado. I'm gonna get fired if I use that term around my boss who plays third base!!

07-Aug-14
How many cord of wood can you fit in that for the ride to elk country?

07-Aug-14
I get looks for the "coexist" sticker I put on my hunting truck!!

I never knew what lezbaru meant until now and I live in Colorado. I'm gonna get fired if I use that term around my boss who plays third base!!

07-Sep-14

I am heading for CO unit 61 with this one on Fri.

07-Sep-14

2 inch lift,215/70/16 General Grabber AT2's, custom bumper/hitch/tire carrier/extra gas carrier

07-Sep-14
huntinelk,

at that point why not just get a truck? then you wouldn't need that gay looking race can on the back- lol

07-Sep-14

It would be way too simple to just get in the truck and go, and I enjoy building stuff...

07-Sep-14
IWA the FOC on that sheet of plywood is way off. You should have used a heat treated 2x12 on the lead edge...you were smart by going with the single bevel for better penetration.

• Sitka Gear