royboy 14-Oct-13
HOOTNDASHER 14-Oct-13
city hunter 14-Oct-13
patdel 14-Oct-13
Pmixmaster 21-Aug-14
flip 21-Aug-14
'Ike' (Phone) 22-Aug-14
29-Sep-13
As I was sitting on the couch, surfing bow site, I said this is crap every body but me is killing elk. My brother says does any body post saying they didn't kill one? So this is for respect, people who have put in serious time and effort but never got one on the ground. Share a good experience tell me how close you were or how you much adrenalin pumping action you had but didn't seal the deal!

29-Sep-13
I just returned from a tag soup trip. I was into elk heavy nearly every day out of seven days of hunting. Twice I had herd bulls within 25 yards and had things go south. It was frustrating, but also exhilarating. There is nothing like watching a bull tear apart a tree in front of you while you are waiting for your shot opportunity.

29-Sep-13

oldgoat's MOBILE embedded Photo
oldgoat's MOBILE embedded Photo

I fixed a pot last night!

29-Sep-13
Got a RP cow tag for a unit I wanted to check out for possibly dumping my WY max points on. Could have shot 2 bulls, of course, but only saw 1 cow in 5 days and 8 bulls. Glad I got the cow tag first, because I wouldn't hunt that unit again if they GAVE me the tag.

But much learned, as always, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Damn, I wish I was still out there!

29-Sep-13
Always a hard dish to prepare, eat and never gets better with time. Not sure how many seasons I have had to choke this stuff down, 15 or so I guess. I hunted a new unit this season so I was filled with all sorts of great anticipation. Never even saw an elk. Was in some great property but just never in the right place at the right time. Some in our group saw elk, even a few big bulls, 2 in our group got shots, both misses as they guessed wrong on yardage or didn't compensate for real serious downhill shots. Never curbs my enthusiasm for chasing these things around the mountains though. There's always next year.......just damn glad I'm not a Cubs fan!!!

29-Sep-13

elkmtngear's Link
My Tag soup thread is at the link:

29-Sep-13
I'm one of those that continues to have tag soup with elk. I am still on the quest to get my first elk. Been a long trip so far. This year was one of my most fun I've had hunting elk. Had good bulls under 50 yards twice but the darn winds keep swirling. I've never been on a guided hunt nor have I really had anyone show me the ropes. But I really enjoy the journey.

29-Sep-13
Fixed me up a pot of this this year. I've never seen so much rain in Colorado before and neither had my friends who live there.

30-Sep-13
First time elk tag soup for me. Just got back from a CO trip. I've eaten NV muley tag soup, and lots of at-home turkey and deer tag soup over the years, but this was the most expensive tag soup I've had yet :)

It was fun though. My buddy killed his first CO bull, and we were into bulls nearly every day. One old deep growling bull gave us fits. We worked him at least 4 times. I even got as close as 20 yards at one point, but never had a shot.

He was a smart old bull, bedding up in a 30x100 yard thicket surrounded by slide rock. Impossible to approach undetected. He will haunt my dreams for a while, that's for sure :)

I learned a lot, and can't wait until next year

Bake

30-Sep-13
Bake, did you consider getting to his bed a hour before first light and welcoming him home?

Sometimes the wind doesn't allow that sort of thing, I know, and hind sight is 20/20... we would have had several bulls for my dad if we'd have just done _____ (insert what we should have done to get the shot).

30-Sep-13
Well, tag soup is probably better than not getting to go 'eh? I can normally only take one trip a year out west from Ohio and this year I decided on a muley hunt in Alberta middle of this month. I ate tag soup may times out of my 15 elk hunts (11) and still had some incredible hunts and would trade very few of the experiences. I sure missed the elk woods this year though!

30-Sep-13
Idyll. . . . .

Sure did. Last morning, after we worked him from two different angles, 400 yards apart, but within 100 yards of his position, the evening before. (That bastard stayed in his bed until 2 hours after dark, bugling methodically)

That last morning, we got there well before light. Hid there and froze until 2 1/2 hours after sunup. Finally gave up on him.

Moved over the ridge a little to a bottleneck between rockslide and dropoff into oakbrush, and gave locater bugle. He answered from just up on this little knob not more than 150 yards away. Then he continued to answer as my buddy locater bugled, and I tried to sneak, but as he answered, he walked away steadily and finally quit bugling

If we had just posted in that bottleneck and not locater bugled, I believe he would have walked right through, on his way to his fantastic bed 400 yards away.

SOB!!!! He's a smart old man

Bake

30-Sep-13
Some times they don't return to their bed until 1030 or so. They usually have a couple bedding areas that they use from my experience. If chased out of one they head straight to the other. Once you figure that out for that area its very productive hunting.

30-Sep-13
I too join the tag soup luncheonette. Last bull I killed was 2004. Had great hunts with great people in 2006, 2008, 2011 and now 2013. My time will come!

>>>>--------->

30-Sep-13
Tag soup for me. What made it even taster was on the flight from Idaho falls to Denver the guy sitting next to me killed a nice 5x5.

Salt in the would was the flight from Denver to Chicago when the gun on my right and the girl on my left had both taken cow elk.

I hate elk hunting.

30-Sep-13
Count me in as well. Both Deer and Elk. My elk hunt got personally cancelled due to the flood and then abnormal snow in the high country (thought I was doing it right buying my time for the end).

The deer was the most disappointing. Spent more time scouting and getting in shape than ever before. Went in super optimistic and got absolutely crushed by those high country bucks. Year 6 with a bow and man am I sucking!

Keep thinking my day will come, but I seem to have lost any killer instinct I once had.

03-Oct-13
Thanks guys! I havnt had to choke down the bitter concoction yet.... But I've pounded out 18 days in the elk woods and have yet to draw back on a bull, to be fair I've set my sights on a mature bull and I let 5 others walk by this season.... Yesterday the big 6 came into range but never gave me a shot! Got the heart pounding and gave me the insentive to skip another day of work, pull my sore a$$ out of bed at 3:30 am and pound the 8km back to where the elk have been holed up and try again today.... Got in with the same herd but its been a nightmare to get around 90 other sets of eyes and noses to get in range...

03-Oct-13
My tag soup gonna be pretty thin..........since I didn't have a tag.

04-Oct-13
You guys are all my heroes. I didn't draw this year but hey there is always next year. Maybe then I can have some tag soup, until then ill just have to keep eating Angus.

04-Oct-13
Tag soup for me in Co. First time ever hunting elk, learned a ton, can't wait to go back!

04-Oct-13
Not me (no $$ to go), but I had 4 buddies that went to CO and ate soup.

But, they did get into the elk, with one ALMOST but no shot, one hit and lost and one non-fatal wound.

For the one guy, this was his 3rd trip with 2 bulls already under his belt and he said that this year was the best elk hunting yet even though he didn't kill one.

04-Oct-13
fixed me a pot had bulls screaming at 12 yards but behind trees looking for the cow he heard. action was hot bugling was the best ive ever seen just never got a clear lane in 8 bulls called in to eyesight legs or other part never had a shot opportunity so hard to swallow a tag i waited 8 years for and the rain and close calls dominate

04-Oct-13
Tag soup for me as well. Looking back at this years hunt there are always things I would change after I get home. But I was in fairly good shape, gave it a solid effort and got to spend two weeks with my brothers and a couple more friends.

So now that I think of it I would do it all again tomorrow even if I knew it would turn out the same, it took less than 48hrs at work to wish I was back chasing them. So with Blue Mountains I raise a toast to the rest of you and commend your efforts. Never give up and better luck next year, "there are only so many Septembers in one's life".

RG

05-Oct-13
I had a hearty bowl this year. And it cost me max elk points in Wyoming. But it was a great hunt, and I did pass on 6 bulls, including two 320's. Just the price of doing business if you have high standards.

05-Oct-13

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Anyone ever notice tag soup has a bitter taste to it?

I just returned from MT and tag was not even close to getting notched. Saw no more than 10 elk over 12 days. Weather was horrible. Rain and snow. With the snow, I was able to hunt for elk. But there were no tracks. I had to drop lower to hunt out of truck or spend my time in survival mode.

Here is a glimpse as I packed out of spike camp at 8200' on Sept 27th. (12" of snow on the ground). Pretty, but looks are deceiving.

When I left on Oct 3, I had 6" of snow on the truck with storm total predicting 12-14" on top of what was already on the ground.

05-Oct-13

Sorry, wrong pic. That wasn't 12" of snow. (You can sense a theme though!)

05-Oct-13
Tag soup on my OTC CO tag without any close calls. Doesn't taste so bad since I killed a bull in UT and AZ though...

06-Oct-13
No elk for me this year. Just didn't have the time. Instead, I spent most of the season helping my wife get her CO ewe and mt. goat. Most fun I've had hunting in a while!

06-Oct-13
I have 5 tags to contribute so far... elk, 2 moose tags, 1 deer tag, 1 bear tag..

diversity will spice the tag soup pot!

06-Oct-13
Broke a string of good luck and ate the Montana tag. Was not bitter but tough to chew.

06-Oct-13
Broke a string of good luck and ate the Montana tag. Was not bitter but tough to chew.

06-Oct-13
So far, but I can still pick up a List B license!

06-Oct-13
I had planned to eat my tag but was offered a refund instead. The unit in CO that I drew is getting refunds due to the flooding.

I had a rough hunt due to the excessive rain... but this is a great deal. Now I've already got my tag fund for 2014!

Thanks Colorado!

06-Oct-13
Z,

I just picked up my truck in Butte on Friday. I was wondering how you were faring with the winter wonderland.

PM coming your way soon.

06-Oct-13
Is tag soup like deer track soup? If you get a deer track and cook it with some bacon and then add some more tracks and more bacon and repeat the process a few times you will be amazed how much deer tracks can taste like bacon.

TBH

06-Oct-13
That's the same recipe for chicken shadow soup.

06-Oct-13
You are not alone! had a blast on my trip to montana few close encounters just couldn't close the deal. I guess I should be getting accustomed to this after a long string of unsuccessful elk trips. I seem to have developed some kind of twisted obsession with how many trips a guy can make and not get an elk. At this point, a reasonable person would give up and conclude they suck at elk hunting. Nothing comes easily for me and I guess my stubborn persistence keeps me after them. Maybe next year! Then again, got back to work and it looks like lay offs are coming so it might not be over yet.

07-Oct-13
"You are not alone! had a blast on my trip to montana few close encounters just couldn't close the deal. I guess I should be getting accustomed to this after a long string of unsuccessful elk trips. I seem to have developed some kind of twisted obsession with how many trips a guy can make and not get an elk. At this point, a reasonable person would give up and conclude they suck at elk hunting. Nothing comes easily for me and I guess my stubborn persistence keeps me after them. Maybe next year! Then again, got back to work and it looks like lay offs are coming so it might not be over yet."

There is a post on the Colorado Forum Meat Pole of a guy that took 25 seasons to get his first elk, that has to be a record!

07-Oct-13
For my 5th year in a row, I'm fine-dining on tag soup. It would be easier to swallow if the tags weren't made out of plastic now . . .

I guess I'm not sure that I'm really eating tag soup because I did kill a buck with my new Bowtech Assassin . . . but I wasn't after a buck, I wanted to get my first bull on the ground. I'd been watching this buck and 9 others all summer long, always in the same area. These were mule deer that were as easy to pattern as your typical river-bottom Whitetail. I kept telling myself that if either of the three 4-points walked by within range that I'd have to kill one of them. 15 minutes into opening day and one of them did just that.

Anyways, I'm considering this a tag soup year for me as I put all of my effort into killing a bull again this year. The first two weekends were relatively uneventful as I only saw elk from a long ways off. The 3rd weekend I finally got some bulls to pipe up. I started working a bull one morning and after about 45 minutes I had finally played all of my cards right and he'd committed to coming in for closer review. He hung up at 70, I remained patient (silent) and finally he closed in to 50 into a shooting lane . . . Almost! Stopped just shy of a shot opportunity and finally caught my wind. Retreated back about 50 yards into the thick stuff before I stopped him with some cow mews. I backed out and repositioned further down the hill to get the thermals in my favor. Started reworking him again and after another 30-40 minutes, I had royally pi$$ed him off. He had been working over a 2.5" pine tree with vigorous frustration until I grabbed a stick and did some raking of my own, he threw back his head and moaned a vicious bugle, put his head down and full-on charged me, breaking that tree off at the base. He came to 30 yards and was obstructed for a shot for about 5 minutes while he put on quite a show. Every bull sound I have ever heard of in about 5 minutes plus more raking and for the first time ever, I heard glunking. I slowly picked up a twig and snapped it in two with my thumb as he looked like he was getting frustrated with the situation. He continued in to 15 yards and walking from left to right broad side. Too many branches, so I was pivoting on my knees as he walked. 3 more steps . . . then my left knee slipped about 2" on the dry pine needles. At full draw, he locked onto me. I held for what seemed like about a minute before I started shaking so badly that he caught more movement and busted out. I stopped him again with excited cow calls. I knew I needed immediate action to reassure the big boy that he was still dealing with an elk so I turned around and started stomping up the hill and popping nervous grunts as I backed out. Worked like a charm, he started bugling at me to come back and was following me. I literally ran down the mountain about 400 yards until I found a better spot to set up (more shooting lanes). He was charging along behind me. I finally found an old logging road that offered a good lane and let out a few cow calls and a spike squeal bugle. It was about a 25 minute standoff with him as he bugled about every minute or so but wouldn't come down the hill. I knew he had my location pegged so I didn't want to call. Finally I couldn't take it so I did a little more raking and in he came. At 50 yards, he put both front legs on the abandoned logging road. He looked both ways like he was crossing he street, didn't see the cow he was after . . . and left.

So frustrating, a couple more steps in any of those situations and he would have been a dead elk.

He was HUGE, a tremendous elk. A typical 6, except for Idaho, he actually had really good thirds. Awesome eye guards, good swords and even a really nice split at the whale tail.

3 times in one morning . . . how many guys get to call the same monarch into bow range like that in one day. It was a privilege. I'm going to see if I can get my Wife onto him for a shot with her rifle . . . did I just say that . . . ?

07-Oct-13
I'm not giving up quite yet. I got close to a couple of bulls this year and had an "iffy" shot at a cow that I didn't take. I would have hunted this weekend, but it was my son's birthday and my mom was in town for a visit. But the fact is there's another couple of weekends remaining here in MT. If it comes to that, I'll post a picture of myself taking a bit of tag soup w/ garbanzo beans and BBQ sauce.

08-Oct-13
Tag soup for the second year in a row for me. Got to hunt with my dad and also my 5 yr old son at my side for the last two years, so I'm not complaining. My son has gotten to see some elk and hear them bugling.

Other than my son wondering what it's like to actually see an elk on the ground, I don't care if I eat tag soup for the rest of my life as long as I get to keep hunting elk in Sept.

In fact, I'd be pretty happy if I were in the mountains right now NOT filling a tag.........

09-Oct-13
We got 4 elk for 9 hunters.Everyone had a shot but me.At least I did'nt misssss!I didn't even draw on an elk this year.Was told I helped others too much and not myself enough.Had good fun and next year it will be me first then help others.

09-Oct-13
If you marinate your tag in EVOO, lemon juice, salt, pepper and a splash of Worcestershire sauce, it isn't too bad!

I had an arrow on the string a few times. Once on a spike but just couldn't close the distance, two separate days on the same 6 X 6 and the last day on a nice bull, but didn't see how many points, too busy looking for the open lane which he stopped just a foot short of.

I would not call this season a bust at all, though. I finally heard a bull "glunking", the first time ever in 45 years of hunting elk. Played cat and mouse with the 6 X 6 on two separate days, which was pretty cool. The highlight of the season, however, was playing "Outdoor Channel" moose hunter. I found a bull moose tending a cow and did all those things they do on TV to get him closer or to close the distance. Yep, making that moose grunt works REALLY well. Also, if you stand up, put your bow on your head, rock back and forth grunting as you move toward the bull works well, in fact TOO well. Not once but twice I got charged by the bull, luckily the first was just a single step "bluff" and the second time was a full on charge with my hunting partner yelling and stopping the bull about 10 feet away from me. Oh, yeah, and we didn't learn from those two times. My partner got charged by the same bull later in the day. He was just standing there taking pictures when the bull came at a full charge. The video is quite interesting! The only thing that kept my partner from becoming moose antler shish kabob was a well placed tree and a quick left turn. That bull brushed his fanny as he ran past! I don't think that I am going to mess with a rutting bull moose ever again and I know my partner isn't!

09-Oct-13
NM_Aazan, I love your perspective!

Royboy, you're only fooling yourself buddy! You're going to help others regardless of your intent....you're just that good of a guy!

I proudly ate tag soup. I had a great tag, and lots of great opportunities. I helped my Dad bring his bull back to camp. That was better than having him help me with mine.

When the kids are young there's nothing better than helping a kid with a successful harvest. Similarly, when your parents get old there is nothing better than being present to share the experience of Dad or Mom's success. My Dad is a phenom. He is the poster child for health. Even so, knowing that my Dad is 60+ years old, every opportunity I have to spend time afield with him his a true success. He'll probably be bowhunting for 20 more years, but even that isn't enough for me. The thought of heading afield without him isn't fathomable. Because he scored, I scored. I'll mix some of his elk meat in with my favorite soup recipe....it will be truly gourmet!

09-Oct-13
NM_Aazan, I love your perspective!

Royboy, you're only fooling yourself buddy! You're going to help others regardless of your intent....you're just that good of a guy!

I proudly ate tag soup. I had a great tag, and lots of great opportunities. I helped my Dad bring his bull back to camp. That was better than having him help me with mine.

When the kids are young there's nothing better than helping a kid with a successful harvest. Similarly, when your parents get old there is nothing better than being present to share the experience of Dad or Mom's success. My Dad is a phenom. He is the poster child for health. Even so, knowing that my Dad is 60+ years old, every opportunity I have to spend time afield with him his a true success. He'll probably be bowhunting for 20 more years, but even that isn't enough for me. The thought of heading afield without him isn't fathomable. Because he scored, I scored. I'll mix some of his elk meat in with my favorite soup recipe....it will be truly gourmet!

09-Oct-13
My first archery elk season is under my belt and after a few close calls and seeing elk every day I am not ashamed of eating tag soup this year.

Is it September yet I am already looking forward to next year.

14-Oct-13
arctichill,thanks for the kind words.Will have a good tag in my pocket next year and I should be retired. So looking forward to good things.Taking my foster son out for his first big game hunt in nov.It's good to help others.My friend Mark whom you met is in 13 with his ML.Hope he gets it done.

14-Oct-13
I spent two wonderful weeks in the Co. backcountry this year. This was my second year of hunting elk and was lucky enough to be invited along with a seasoned hunter I met last year while hunting. We got close a couple of times but never quite sealed the deal. I learned a wealth of knowledge from this very gracious fellow and can not wait until next year. I am biting the bullet and planning a guided hunt with the hopes of maybe filling a tag but more importantly, gaining a few more tricks. Sept 2014 can not get here soon enough!

14-Oct-13
hey fulldraw not to worry I have plenty of elk to go around !!!

14-Oct-13
Second year elk hunting, second pot of tag soup. What bothers me more is I'm not really proud of the effort we put forth this year. The near constant rain and competition sucked a lot of the will out of me. My partner had the same problem. We deserved the tag soup. Next year.....

21-Aug-14
taking this thread back to the top for that little extra motivation we need this year

21-Aug-14
Last year I took my son to the mountains for the first time.He had never seen an elk but for tv.He was absorbing the whole experiance and on the third day i turned him loose on his own.Long story short he called in a six x six on his own and put him to rest.I was never so excited for another hunter in my life.My trip was made and didnt bother me if I saw another elk that week.But ya know we packed that bull out and then packed back up the mtn,to hunt two more days, and that kid called another six x six in to ten yrds in front of me and i went to full draw but couldnt get the shot off as his vitals were behind a tree.I never saw an elks eyes get so big as he knew he was in trouble.He blew out of there like a rocket and left my boy and i there with the biggest smiles two hunters could hold.I guess you could call my tag soup but it never tasted so good!

22-Aug-14
Hey, sometimes it happens...Not a bad thing! I've passed on smaller Bulls hoping for something bigger and it hasn't worked out...I've walked away from hunts, just not being into it...Long as you're happy, that's what counts!

• Sitka Gear