elkmtngear 27-Sep-14
RogBow 27-Sep-14
elkmtngear 27-Sep-14
RogBow 27-Sep-14
TD 27-Sep-14
elkmtngear 27-Sep-14
RogBow 27-Sep-14
02-Dec-13
Did anyone use the new Allen synthetic game bags this year? (The ones that are similar to the TAG bags) They are so much less expensive and would like to hear how they held up for those that used them.

02-Dec-13
I used them and was very impressed, fairly light they breathed well, were big, very strong and kept the bugs off. I washed them up and they are ready for the next go round.

02-Dec-13
I had them in my hands but didn't pull the trigger as I had more than enough of their regular HD bags. Next year I'll have them. They looked good.

03-Dec-13
I used them and was very impressed. They are very light, tough, roomy and stain resistant. I vacuum sealed mine and they compressed very small. After I used them I washed them and they came out very clean and are ready to go next year.

26-Sep-14
Anyone use them this year that can give an review? Looking for which ones to buy.

27-Sep-14
bump

27-Sep-14
I bought them this year because they were on sale at Dick's for $25.

I found no advantage to them.

I have used the Allan Outfitter grade stretch bags for decades with fantastic results. They're heavy (2#) and bulky but when truck hunting I didn't really care. This year I have finally come to realize that a 58 year old doesn't need to pack 20# around the hills. I bought the Back Country bags, took them home and realized first off, they don't breath for ####. Nothing near the Outfitter bags I'm used to. I could hardly blow air thru the mtl. I then put them on the scale and they weighed 2#, same as the Outfitter stretch bags. yikes.

So, I went to sportsmans and bought the Caribou brand, Wapiti 5 pc bag set. They weigh 1# and are about 1/3 the volume of the Outfitter stretch bags. But, the mtl doesn't breath very well either. I don't think any of the synthetic bags will "breath" like the stretch mtl but I'm not sure it needs to. The mtl is tough, no rips or anything dragging quarters over logs or in the back of the truck. One trip thru the wash and they cleaned up really well. On my Elk, I took the legs apart at the knees and the bags are right at that length, not any extra length for the hind qtrs. These cost $65 so that volume and weight savings cost me about $55 over the stretch bags I used to use. I'll use these Caribou bags again in a cpl weeks for WY Elk and a handful of Antelope does.

hope this helps

27-Sep-14
If you're looking for a cheap, lightweight solution...doesn't get any lighter or more packable than this. Been doing this for many years now.

Best of Luck, Jeff

27-Sep-14
Hey Jeff,

I am assuming by your experience, fly's cannot lay eggs through the nylons right?

Thanks for the video.

27-Sep-14
Roger, you are correct.

The first bull I ever killed in Colorado (in 1998) got flyblown so bad it took me about five or six hours to clean it up.

I started thinking "I've seen ladies damn near as big across the backside as these elk"

On advice from the girls in my office, I started buying "JMS" brand size 4X. I believe those are the biggest ones they make.

Been using them ever since! The quarters skin over nicely, and stay cool in the bags. I've left them hanging for as long as four days in the shade.

As I said...four pairs balled up and vacuum packed weigh just a few ounces, and take up very little space.

Best Wishes, Jeff

27-Sep-14
Thanks Jeff, it's tips like these that make the difference.

27-Sep-14
Yeah....

But like mopeds and fat girls...

don't let your friends see you with em.... =D

27-Sep-14
I'm with ya TD...or the tampons I keep in my pack for firestarter =D

27-Sep-14
It's ok, I hunt solo!

• Sitka Gear