lawdy 22-Mar-14
WYelkhunter 22-Mar-14
DConcrete 22-Mar-14
DConcrete 22-Mar-14
Stiknstring 22-Mar-14
lawdy 22-Mar-14
IaHawkeye 22-Mar-14
06-Jan-14
Taking the idea from the another thread about an outfitter baiting for elk...

I've still yet to read any convincing argument that hunting elk over a pile of apples is any different from hunting bears over a bait barrel? OR over a water hole or wallow for that matter?

Hoping perhaps someone from a the anti-hunting elk over a pile of apples community will chime in. Seriously not looking to bash on either side, just curious to see the reasoning behind how one feels it is different.

I think more than anything it is just a difference in hunting preference.

06-Jan-14
In CO it is a moot point as baiting any big game animal is illegal. That being said, I don't know many folks who, when they find a natural salt lick or apple orchard or hay field, won't use that to their advantage.

06-Jan-14
People hunt bears over bait because their density in a given area and elusiveness during the day make walking around the woods to find them not a very viable hunting option.

On the other hand, you can walk around the woods and find elk.

Furthermore, if you've hunted elk and called them in, the idea of interacting with the animal on their turf is really what makes elk hunting so special. Losing that element is probably what people object to.

06-Jan-14
No different and shouldn't be an issue from my perspective.

If you don't like it and don't want to partake - ok, don't.

There are MANY outfits in the SW that hunt elk over waterholes. If you think that's ANY different than hunting over bait you are just flat wrong.

Again, I have no prob if a guy likes to run in loin cloth with his hand made bow and flint chiseled arrows smelling like an elk in heat. More power to you.

Just don't diss another guys way of hunting. I have done it all and what I have learned is that for the most part nothing is as easy as it sounds whether baiting for bears, chasing hogs with dogs, baiting WT, working a food plot, etc.

BTW where you see a lot of passion are usually guys who haven't left their corner of the world to see how other guys hunt. Once you have, you realize the good and different.

06-Jan-14
So becUse you can call them in, baiting is unacceptable? You can predator call bears in. You can interact with them too. I believe some hunters are against it because they feel it's such an unfair advantage. I don't agree with that. Baiting animals is a ton of fun if you're a person who likes to work hard. Bait collection, packing the bait in. And yes, it's rewarding. You've brought animals in that possibly wouldn't have been there had you not done all that work to bring them there. When you're spotting and stalking, or calling an animal in, you're doing the work right then and there. My work, however, began months in advance. The paycheck (dead critter) is the same. I hear all the time how baiting is lazy and easy. The truth is, to do it properly, it's neither.

06-Jan-14
So becUse you can call them in, baiting is unacceptable? You can predator call bears in. You can interact with them too. I believe some hunters are against it because they feel it's such an unfair advantage. I don't agree with that. Baiting animals is a ton of fun if you're a person who likes to work hard. Bait collection, packing the bait in. And yes, it's rewarding. You've brought animals in that possibly wouldn't have been there had you not done all that work to bring them there. When you're spotting and stalking, or calling an animal in, you're doing the work right then and there. My work, however, began months in advance. The paycheck (dead critter) is the same. I hear all the time how baiting is lazy and easy. The truth is, to do it properly, it's neither.

06-Jan-14
What idyllwild said! If you've not called one in, then you Havnt done what most call elk Huntn. Really I got no prob with baiting just wouldn't choose to hunt elk that way

06-Jan-14
Illegal in AZ except for salt. You cant even use a lure or cover scent made from animals.

06-Jan-14
Calling in elk makes it VERY easy to hunt elk! Anyone who disagrees is flat wrong. How about we make elk hunting spot and stalk only and see how long (short) the elk meat pole thread is next year.

There is no difference between baiting elk or bears. It does seem weird to sit over a pile of apples for elk, but I have planted my butt over salt licks and wallows many times and I was just fine with it. Apples should make no difference!

06-Jan-14
"So becUse you can call them in, baiting is unacceptable?"

That's not what I said.

First off, I could care less if people hunt over bait, no matter the animal. It's not how I hunt, but I don't care what other people do.

What I said, is that some people feel that an element of the hunt is lost when you give up that way of hunting that animal.

Just like using power bait instead of a fly rod. The fly rod is a special way of interacting with the fish that requires a certain skill set.

It's the same way with calling in elk.

06-Jan-14
Read the Bowsite forum rules

06-Jan-14

06-Jan-14

06-Jan-14

06-Jan-14
Maybe it's just me, but this quote from the outfitter in the thread the OP refers to rubs me the wrong way.

"We use the urban stand locations for our clients that are not seasoned elk hunters and have not taken the steps to make themselves sent (scent) free or are just noisy. The elk that live in urban areas are willing to eat apples under someone's apple tree in their front yard therefore they are use to a certain amount of human sent (scent) and noise. This makes them easy to kill and the stand location is great for children and noise (noisy) adults that smell like the city..."

I'm sorry, but this isn't elk hunting...it's elk shooting. For someone who's handicapped and has no choice, this offers a great opportunity for them to kill an elk. I applaud that.

On the other hand, if someone uses this treehouse simply because they're too lazy to get in shape, or don't care enough about elk hunting to at least TRY to be scent free, or at least TRY to learn to be less noisy, this isn't hunting. It may be legal, but it certainly isn't hunting.

As far as stand locations away from someone's front yard, I have no problem with baiting where it's legal.

06-Jan-14
These threads crack me up!

Its really not the baiting itself that gets some hunters wound up, its the baiter believing that he is 'hunting' at the same level or degree as the guy who is using learned and practiced skill beyond bait gathering and bait packing and bait placing.

If you want to bait and its legal, go for it and enjoy what you like to do. What ever blows your hair back! Baiting elk with apples is not the same as using natural wallows, water, or food sources and your living in a fantasy if you think they come running every time you blow on a call.

06-Jan-14
Did we really need this thread?

06-Jan-14
I think you are cheating yourself if you hunt elk over 30 thousand pounds of apples.

I know I wouldn't pay someone a hundred dollars to hunt like that, let alone thousands. I know some great hunters sometimes hunt like that and that's ok where legal. But I bet you all those same hunters what their most rewarding hunt was, I doubt they would say " on one hunt in Washington, I showed up at --- offers where he placed 30k pounds of apples and I sat in a stand next to a house with a dog and small children playing in the yard. Then a 4x4 walked up and I shot him. What a rush!"

06-Jan-14
And you'd be living in a fantasy if you believe a big bear or big bull elk just comes running into a bait too.

06-Jan-14
When elk hunting I will hunt wallows, water and natural food sources. But hunting elk over a feeder just isn't elk hunting to me and isn't the same as sitting water in the evening. I think if your setting over a pile of something for days you are missing the most majestical experience Mother Nature has to offer. With that said I don't have a problem with someone hunting bait, especially young and handicapped. For me I like to hunt elk, not hunt bait.

06-Jan-14
Link I politely disagree with you about water. If you are hunting in the arid Southwest hunting over water may even be more opportunistic then over bait.

Animals don't have to come into bait but they ABSOLUTELY have to water and if you are hunting the only water for a mile on private ground. The animals will come.

It's one reason I love to antelope hunt. Lots of animals and fun. I consider that hunting.

There have been many elk killed in here sitting over a water hole or even a water tank.

Again, not arguing calling elk in or S&S in loin cloth.

06-Jan-14
Burnt the popcorn again!

06-Jan-14
To answer the OP, there really isn't a difference in sitting manmade waterholes for Antelope, Bait Barrels for Bear, or Apple Piles for Elk... Guys just choose to hunt the way they see fit, and deem all other ways wrong.

I have zero interest in sitting a bait pile for Elk as it doesn't seem as fun as calling/chasing after them... but I'm not naive enough to claim it wrong in comparison to my baited deer and waterhole antelope hunts of the past.

06-Jan-14
I believe that my lack of interest in baiting hunts stems from the fact that by baiting, you're altering the natural state as opposed to entering it.

I have no qualms about hunting food sources, even hunting in proximity to agricultural fields. I just don't have an interest in putting out bait and looking at my alteration all day.

One property that I hunt has an old fence running about 2/3 the way across it separating a little less than 1/4 of the property. I have no problem hunting off the funnel created where a large tree crushed a section of the 5' fence. It would feel wrong to me to put up 400 yards of fence, leaving a section out to create my own funnel.

I get twitchy thinking about Montana and Wyoming this fall with screaming elk. I can't imagine a pile of bait in that scenario.

Yet, I have no problem planting some apple trees on my buddy's property to help improve the property.

I haven't hunted bear, so I can't wrap my head around that right now.

I'm sure that everybody here was just holding their breath hoping that I'd chime in with my opinion...

Hunt legally, whichever way makes you happy. JUST DON'T SHOOT THE WRONG BROADHEAD!

06-Jan-14
Good post Orionsbro. I feel the same way.

Whew, I can breath now.

06-Jan-14
Idyllwild - Isn't there some sort of saying about a million mokeys in front of a million typewriters(keyboards) for a million years eventually producing the brilliance of Shakespeare?

06-Jan-14
Sage I know what you are saying. I've hunted water in the Gila on two different hunts and never tagged a bull over water, of course this arid environment usually has more than one water per square mile. Ive watched elk walk past one water to go to another. I have also had screamingd bulls so thirsty they cant wait to come in only to get hammered by three inches of rain- in SW New Mexico. Now whitetails and elk are not the same that's a given but I've hunted whitetails over corn and it is not really even sporting. Given a corn pile and ten days to hunt almost any whitetail I've hunted would come in during daylight in that timeframe. I've never fed elk, and I'm sure they would never be as consistent but given one corn pile and multiple watering places in the same area I know where the elk would be, your odds would be far better at the corn. Not to mention a wetter environment like Washington state and Colorado on north.

06-Jan-14
I don't really care if people hunt over bait. If it is legal and is what you want to do, knock yourself out. Yet, for those who try to claim it really is not that helpful, the first question that comes to the mind of an outsider is, "If it supposedly does not make it easier, then why incur the effort and expense?"

All that being said, I would fight tooth and nail to prohibit baiting in Montana. Not because of supposed ethics or other issues.

I would oppose it based on comments of my friends in other states where baiting is allowed. It become competitive to the point of almost taking quasi -ownership of wildlife. It becomes necessary to bait, just to prevent all the animals from being habituated to other properties that bait heavily.

As it is today, where they live, you have to bait more and more every year to keep animals nearby. If you don't bait, the animals will be elsewhere, though prior to baiting being legal deer were dispersed based on quality of habitat.

Their experience is that baiting seriously disrupts that natural patterns of wildlife, in their case, whitetail deer. Again, for those who say such is not the case, then why incur the effort and expense?

I know wildlife patterns are influenced by agriculture activities and if you have a chance, it is a good idea to consider that in your strategy. Even out west, elk and deer are impacted by such. Yet, that is the operation of a landowner who has other incentives to produce ag products, other than to attract wildlife. If anything, wildlife can be a hindrance to their ag operations.

As an avid elk hunter, I don't care to have the natural patterns of elk be disrupted/altered any more than they already are. Some may not agree.

Congregated animals, as found in baiting and winter feeding, are proven vectors for disease transmission. The most worrisome at this point is brucellosis, a disease that has increasing incidence in congregated elk herds. Baiting would only add to that problem, at least in MT/WY/ID, where brucellosis is a problem.

In MT, we have the largest amount of inaccessible PUBLIC lands in the country. We have a lot of wildlife that is off limits to hunters, which is every private landowners right to do so.

If baiting became legal, the amount of baiting that would occur would be enormous with elk. Just too much money involved in leases by outfitters and other private parties. It would create a baiting contest to keep elk on your property/lease, the unintended (or maybe intended) result is that elk are then not on public where they can be managed and hunted.

If the public land issues were anything like the public lands where some of my friends have to bait to attract any deer, I can see some major issues with elk hunters on public land. If we think we have elk hunter conflict issues on public lands now, imagine what it would be if elk baiting were allowed.

To argue for/against baiting in the context of ethics, such as the original post, is a waste of time. It is merely a personal preference issue, none being more right or more wrong than the other. It results in continually lowered level of dialogue, something a friend refers to as "Mental Midget Wrestling."

To debate the topic on other issues such as disease transmission or negative impacts of altered animal patterns and resulting difficulties altered patterns create in terms of proper game management/crop damage/hunter conflicts, seems to be a more valuable discussion.

In the case of elk on western public lands, or the private/public interface that already has serious conflict/competition, I see baiting of elk to carry a large number of very complex problems, none of which are ethics-related, even if the original post seems to imply it is an ethic issue.

Carry on ......

06-Jan-14
Baiting is just one of many things we now employ because we can't or won't hunt. Feel free to add your own, but: 1. Game cameras, especially the video feed variety. 2. Ozonics 3. Skyscraper tree stands 4. Enclosed blinds

are just a few.

06-Jan-14
What Mr Newberg said and also it's for weenies.

06-Jan-14
Some very interesting posts. I wasn't asking the question based around "ethics" as BigFin apparently thought, but was more interested in hearing about why it was looked upon differently than baiting for other animals OR how baiting was different (from a hunting perspective) than sitting say water or natural mineral licks. I'm sure to some this might look like an ethics question as it just may "not" be ethical to use bait in THEIR OWN minds, despite being legal in some situations. But again, this wasn't an ethics question as much as it was about how are guys comparing this apple pile approach to being different than sitting water or natural licks.

I suppose the easy answer is "its not for me so I don't like it," and I think that is totally fine and probably where a lot of guys are coming from. But for those who said things like "it simply isn't hunting." Does this sentiment then also carry over into other species where baiting is more "mainstream" like for bears (and some have said a baited bear hunt is just not for them). Or are they just as against sitting water or natural attractants as well? Or perhaps tree standing hunting elk just isn't "mainstream" enough yet, despite being a fairly successful approach (apple piles aside).

I think Big Fin, AdyllwildArcher, Link, Sage Buffalo, orionsbrother all make great points as to why or why not. Big Fin especially in his regard for the bigger "complex problems" baiting may or may not bring about.

06-Jan-14
Comparing the baiting of carnivorous animals with the baiting of herbivorous animals is comparing apples and oranges: There's a lot more of the latter than the former, among other reasons.

Comparing hunting water to bait is also apples and oranges: The animals were already going to go to the water. Putting out bait is altering where they would have gone to feed. They also have, in most cases, choices on where to water, when to water, and for how long (couple minutes) as opposed to bait where they have one bait choice, and have to eat a large part of the day.

Your average herbivore hits water once, often times at night, for 5 minutes, whereas they eat for several hours per day.

06-Jan-14
So an animal as large as an elk generally waters at night, once, and for 5 minutes? I gotta call bull on that. Elk hit water numerous times. They need a lot of it. A lot of times, elk water in the very early afternoon.

06-Jan-14
Is it ok for me to comment? On second thought haha.... I think I'll pass. :-)

06-Jan-14
Ok, 10 minutes then.

And I said herbivorous animals, not just elk.

But do you have any proof that elk water numerous times a day? The same elk? I'm sure some do. Maybe more so in the summer. I've seen where people have mentioned that they do, although it's all been anecdotal. From what I've seen, they go to bed in the AM and stay there till night.

Still speculation unless you can show me where someone has radio collared elk and documented them hit water multiple times a day.

The fact remains that the time spent watering is a tiny fraction of the time spent eating. So this whole thing is slicing hairs.

The deer around where I hunt (hot, southern california) never ever ever water during the day but can be seen for a short time in the AM eating.

The fact remains that they still were going to hit the water that was already there, but the food alters their natural movement. Evidenced by the fact that no one puts out a 55 gal drum of water for the day and then hunts over it.

06-Jan-14
As a general rule, mammals need water more frequently than food. I'm not sure how much elk hunting you've done and how much of it on water. Mornings and early afternoons through the evenings is a great time to hunt them. Go to bed in the a.m. And don't get up until the night? I wouldn't say that's accurate. They do water in the early afternoons and I don't need a collared elk study to show me or tell me that. Because I witness it every year.

06-Jan-14
"I believe that my lack of interest in baiting hunts stems from the fact that by baiting, you're altering the natural state as opposed to entering it."

Sounds like about 90% of WT hunting to me. Food plots, cutting shooting lanes, clearing approach routes, etc. Not to mention placing cameras to help determine where to hunt.

"The elk that live in urban areas..."

Again, how is this different from the vast majority of WT hunting. Except in a very few locations, they ALL live in proximity to people, farms, roads, all manner of human activity.

"...water that was already there, but the food alters their natural movement."

So what. Calling alters their movement also, but you seem OK with that.

The fact is, most of what we consider to be acceptable is just based on what we are accustomed to, often from long tradition. Justifying one over another, OBJECTIVELY, makes one question other methods, or similar methods for different animals.

06-Jan-14
A couple things from my prospective

It sure is different these days. As much as people didn’t like Chuck Adams, you can’t argue the fact he got his Super Slam the old fashioned way.

Spot and Stalk Coues deer, Typical spot and stalk/calling for Rosie elk, spot and stalk sheep the list goes on and on. He mentioned in his book that Coues deer are one of the hardest animals to hunt ( he was doing it spot and stalk). Now we have baited Coues deer hunts, baited Rosie Hunts, water hole only Desert sheep hunts. It is what it is I guess.

Oh, Ziek, we both live in CO and I think yard elk (think St. Vrain, Lookout mountain, Evergreen, Estes)are so conditioned to people it would be harder to kill a cow in a pasture. I've never seen "yard" Whitetails act that way, especially big bucks. I've seen big 6x6 elk stand there while you throw pine cones at them.

The bottom line is our organizations such P&Y, B&C, really need to sit down with their senior members to re-hash out just what “Fair Chase” is as we’re really letting this slide as a hunting community. Even if that means going back and re-defining practices that are now legal.

06-Jan-14
Ziek I think thats what you are missing. Many are saying if you want a whitetail hunt, fine as long as its legal. If you do that though your missing the elk experience .

06-Jan-14
OK I'll chime in real quick just to reply to you Woody. Everyone knows Washington is the apple state. Over in the Yakima area there are miles and miles of refrigerated storage buildings. They sell "fresh" apples year round.

But they have bazillions of them and they don't keep forever. 100s of thousands of pound a year get tossed. I've read the labels. Some came from New Zealand and all over the globe. You can get them by the pallet for free. Or... if you want to let the manager come shoot an elk, by the truckload and delivered even. Therefore.... there is no expense. In other states, maybe not the case. You'd bait with whatever was available or native to the area I suppose.

I never actually hunted elk or deer over bait. Bears once but passed on most as they were small and never shot one. They were VERY wary around the bait. Not of me but of other bears. The big boy showed up every night at 1:30 on trail cam. He was smart. I'm thinking it would be tough to bow hunt bears by spot and stalk in the lower 48.

06-Jan-14
Bottom line, I'm reading a whole lot of I don't do it so therefore it is wrong to do so sentiments.

I have no qualms with states not allowing baiting, as well as states allowing baiting. I just think it's silly to act like it's ok to sit a stock tank for pronghorn or barrel of cereal and grease for bears, but scoff at the idea of someone hunting an apple pile for the almighty elk.

Again, I've never bear hunted over bait. I've never elk hunted period (can't wait to go this fall, and it sure as heck won't be over bait)... but I have no problems with others doing it. I've sat cattle water tanks trying to kill a pronghorn, even parking my vehicle at other tanks to divert the activity there... Sue me.

06-Jan-14
Why not Woody? He brings a buddy too who works there. Not GPS coordinates though. Just an address. He leaves 1000s of pounds at a time and the wooden boxes are to be returned later. They actually need somewhere to dispose of them otherwise they have to pay to dump them like any other garbage. You wouldn't believe how many they have!!!

06-Jan-14
Not for me, plain and simple. Similar to shooting a turkey off the roost, I wouldn't do it if it were legal.

That said, I don't care what others do, as long as they are not breaking any rules. To each their own.

06-Jan-14
Same here Rut Nut. I told you what makes a great day for me in the woods on your bear pic thread. I'm not desperate to kill animals. I enjoy my time out there. Killing on the first day is always a bit depressing.

Treeing lions with hounds is similar. The shot is easy and anticlimatic. I ran hounds and only ever killed one. Took lots of pics and video and walked away from all the rest happy with no regrets.

06-Jan-14
Ziek, I think you nailed it with your first post, but what the hell, no minds will be changed on this !

06-Jan-14
Manpower... lol Forklifts and skid loaders!

Ha ha Elkman... you can't resist liking me can you. I'm no fan of baiting... except for fish, but in my travels I have learned a thing or two about it. For the record.... I'd trust you to shoot an apple off of my head with a Rage broadhead any day. :-)

06-Jan-14
I guess when I think elk hunting, I want high country, aspens and bugling bulls. Hunting over a pile of apples on the outskirts of town would take a lot of the romance out of it. FOR ME. Admittedly, my success rate is shi***. Maybe I'm the dumb one:)

I've never cared for the baiting concept, or the box blind thing. Just not for me. Probably a regional/tradition thing. Some places that's the way they've always done it and I don't have a problem with it. I participate in deer drives every year, and I know some people think that's not fair, or sporting. But it's a tradition here. The past few years I see more and more of those box blinds popping up in the Midwest and I admit it annoys me. That's not the way you are supposed to hunt here. I personally wouldn't go on a baited elk hunt, or a texas whitetail hunt if they were free. I have zero desire to shoot an elk over apples or a deer in the sendero eating corn that was in a truck a few days ago. But that's because I'm stubborn and bullheaded. Not because it's wrong. I'm just set in my ways. To each their own. I fall into it myself sometimes, but we all need to show a little more tolerance for other guys methods.

Big Fin did have some very valid points. He made the best argument against bait I have heard yet.

06-Jan-14
It is so true that people from different areas grew up different and just have different ways of thinking and even different ideas of what is sporting or ethical. I hunt Montana. I had a client once from Georgia who after the first day said I can't believe I haven't seen a single hog yet. His guide of course said "What! A hog, there aren't any hogs on the Montana Rockies" The guys replied "huh... I'll be danged, I thought there were hogs everywhere"

06-Jan-14
The OP's first post was a completely legitimate post/question.

Since then, this thread has gone full retard.

06-Jan-14
In answer to the OP's question. Baiting wildlife to kill it is baiting wildlife to kill it. Bears or bulls, no difference. And you can bet that the critters don't think so either.

To the "no baiters" Where I live I can bait any game animal except bears and waterfowl. The province next door can bait bears, but nothing else. And on it goes. I can easily shot more bears than ole' Jeremiah Johnson could skin, but not so easy for ungulates. Some of you guys see twenty plus deer under your stand every evening, while I see that many bears just going for a drive. So maybe it's better if I let you bait bears 'cause that's the only way you have a chance. And maybe you should let me bait a few deer so I have the same chance to get a deer as you do to get a bear.

You know, kinda get along instead of pissing in each other's pockets.

06-Jan-14
Mule,

Can I ask my question again? Do the apple orchards in WA sustain a lot of damage from the elk? If they are there eating the apples do they also rub the trees? Just wondering if the apple growers dislike the elk as much as farmers dislike the deer.

06-Jan-14
Tradmt,

"....and your living in a fantasy if you think they come running every time you blow on a call."

Nobody ever said elk come running every time to a call. But they often will come running to a call and you are living a fantasy if you don't think calls make elk hunting easy (compared to not using a call).

07-Jan-14
Idyllwild- I think this is why Bowsite added the new rule (#10) to the forum rules. I would say this topic falls under the "HOW THEY HUNT" portion of that rule. Im guessing the moderators havent seen this yet. Or maybe they just dont give a ____ how some folks hunt either!

07-Jan-14
"But they often will come running to a call and you are living a fantasy if you don't think calls make elk hunting easy (compared to not using a call)."

As much as some would imply that calling elk is trivial, dumping apples in a pile, no matter how much work it involves, will never involve the level of skill it takes to use a musical instrument to make an elk think you are another elk, much less the effort involved to go into a wild elk's backyard, call to him, and then haul him out of a place that cannot be driven to.

07-Jan-14
For those of you who havent read the forum rules, here ya go!

NEW RULE REGARDING ETHICS DISCUSSION

After a thorough review Bowsite.com has decided to limit ethical discussions to our new BLOG features only. Public submissions which criticize other hunters for what they hunt, where they hunt, or how they hunt are no longer allowed.

Bowsite.com understand and value the role that ethics play in the field. This decision does not reflect a diminished view on ethics.

Our decision was based on 10 years of observations regarding 'ethics' topics. Inevitably, every discussion on ethics results in heated disagreements which had far more negative than positive outcomes. In addition, over half of the time they required the entire topic to be removed by our editors. Heated ethical discussions contribute to a negative perception of Bowsite.com on both sides of the ethical argument. This Lose-Lose prompted us to re-examine these types of discussion and ultimately, this decision.

Our visitors are expected to comply with this new rule immediately. Thank you for your cooperation.

BTW this rule was posted in 2006

07-Jan-14
Keepitreal,

Got it. Thanks.

As far as calling an elk and having them come running in, wow. If hunting out of a stand in someone's back yard over a couple thousand pounds of apples ids equal, then I had it all wrong. My bad.

07-Jan-14
"To the no baiters..."

The temptation to use a play on words in crude humor in response to this post was almost all I could bear.

You have taught me well, Charlie.

07-Jan-14
As always, I think Randy Newberg is a great authority on anything hunting. With that said, one of my favorite things about his post is that he kept it fairly state-specific. Like Randy, I would fight tooth and nail to prevent allowing baiting in NM. I am the President of the United Bowhunters of New Mexico, but that comment(and the future comments in this post) is strictlymmy personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the UBNM.

Even so, if it's legal in Washington I am fully supportive of people who choose to utilize this method of harvesting game (and yes, I would consider it hunting if the animal is wild bred and free roaming).

Similarly, I support states that allow high fence "hunting". This, I do not consider "hunting", but think it should be supported just the same provided the state's law allows this type of method used to harvest meat.

In NM there is currently a major debate going on regarding the slaughtering of horses for human consumption. The whole thing is a mess. So far the HSUS and PETA (anti's) are winning. IMO, if we should be allowed to slaughter/eat cattle, then why not horses? If horses are "better" or deserve more "rights" than cattle, when will that debate effectively debilitate the perspective we as hunters often take against the anti's?

Wild horses are a real problem in NM. I would actually like to see a hunting season implemented. The reasons I have for this opinion are identical to the reasons any hunter would likely argue as a reason to hunt an excessive population of any other ungulate.

I know I've deviated from the topic here. My point is two-fold: 1) States should have a strong influence on "their" game management practices 2) Hunters would benefit from maintaining the basis of their argument against anti-hunters when discussing many topics relating to wildlife management

07-Jan-14
keepitreal,

I never intended in my original post to make this an ethics question, I have stated this twice. It was merely a question about elk hunting tactics and the reasons behind it...trying to figure out why some would consider one way different from another. There have been some great responses with valid answers and like most threads on here these days, some have taken it in differing directions, not really a big deal, sort of the norm with so many differing opinions and people posting. Yet in the majority of the responses, I haven't seen this turn into an "ethics" discussion and it has remained fairly civil. If the mods see otherwise obviously they can delete it.

I think what ZIEK and then LINK said (though perhaps somewhat opposing views) most recently sort of sum up the discussion pretty well. Hunting elk over bait is definitely an option when done legally, though it may not be the way in which each individual goes about harvesting an elk. I have shot bulls both by calling them in and having them come running and from a treestand when they are coming to water. Both were equally rewarding to me and yet both presented very different and sometimes challenging tactics. I wouldn't say either was easy, if it was, we would see 99 to 100% success rates on archery elk kills each year.

I think hearing the differing opinions on here (particularly when folks remain civil) is no different than sitting around the camp fire with my hunting buddies, discussing/debating the pros and cons to different methods. Sometimes it opens us up to new ways of thinking and other times it further instills our own methods and tactics.

If you can wade through some of the overly negative posts or side trials, there have been some really good posts on this thread both in favor and against.

07-Jan-14
Good post arctichill.

First off, you're right that states should make their own rules in this regard, but I'll add, that I think "states" should mean the biologists and DFG depts making sound game mgmt decisions for their states, not ballot box measures by uneducated whimsical voters when it comes to things like game management that should be based on science and the scientific decisions by people who know WTF they're doing.

"State" decisions have resulted in very poor decisions here in CA.

Secondly, it's funny you bring up wild horses in NM. My family and I have watched this subject with interest as it's unfolded. It's a huge issue.

So many people, not just PETA folks, hold horses in such high regard, that it complicates the issue. So many people personify animals and elevate them to human status and the extension to horses includes many conservative folks who could not be counted among the PETA ranks.

Still, you have a large animal that needs to be managed.

During the latest bit that we watched on the news about this, I commented to my wife that I would absolutely bowhunt wild horses and I would also eat my kill. My wife and kids agree. My friends, who expect a piece of any elk or deer I take, thought I was crazy when I brought up the same discussion.

I would absolutely come to NM and bow hunt a horse and I'd eat it. Unfortunately, I doubt it'll ever become a reality and instead, a stressed arid environment will continue to be stressed by too many cattle/horses competing for thin resources.

You're absolutely right when you say we should be maintaining the basis of our argument.

P.S. If I hunted horses, I would not use apples.

07-Jan-14
IdyllwildArcher; don't worry the "masters" know you are thinking of them. lol.

07-Jan-14
IdyllwildArcher,

I agree with you 100%. Because laws are passed by the Legislature and not by Game and Fish (DNR) agencies, it's critical for State's to have adequate representation from sportsmen/women. That's where State Bowhunting Organizations are so critical. California has some great groups. Unfortunately, the per-capita ratio of hunters/non-hunters is so radical it's a tough gig there. There are so many anti's in California that the California anti's have effectively supported the stoppage of some coyote hunting competitions in NM!

Just as many folks hold horses in such high regard, canines are also a very "elite" species in the eyes of many irrational individuals. I see "Wolves Belong" bumper stickers every day. I love dogs, but I enjoy calling, hunting and killing wild coyotes. I love horses, but would eagerly hunt and eat a wild one. I own and love pack llamas, but would still hunt and eat a wild, free-ranging camelid if the opportunity presented itself.

Back to the baiting issue, I've never killed an antelope at a water hole. Even so, I support my fellow NM's who choose to hunt that way. I would fight tirelessly to preserve that right for them. I have only been in a treestand once...at a 3D tournament. Baiting elk is not my preference. I would prefer to keep that method of hunting Wapiti entirely out of NM.

If the people (hopefully influenced by hunters) of Washington State support that method of hunting though, then I support their right to choose to utilize it.

07-Jan-14
Woody I barely gave an opinion. I just stated what I know from an actual experience. You are right... it would not be easy to feed all those mouths. BUT... you have no actual experience in what actually happens. They don't just eat the apples exclusively. They didn't originally show up there for them either. The apples were placed in an area where the elk were already known to feed. What usually happens is they come out, eat a few apples, and then eat what they came there to eat in the first place, grass. They sometimes wander back over for "dessert" but they don't live on apples. Does that sound like it may be the way nature happens? The fact is some of the elk don't even eat the apples. It is very common for a hunter to sit in a stand within 20 to 40 yards of the apples, watch elk for an hour or more, and never get a shot at the bull. As far as there not being enough apples to do this.... really? That's like thinking we can't grow enough potatoes to sell them for pennies and still have enough for every Mcdonalds, Burger King, Wendys etc etc to include them in every bag that goes out the door every minute of every day. They are almost unlimited. My 2 questions to you are: Why in the world would I bother to make this stuff up? & Why do you doubt every single thing you read?

Now back to our regular program.....

Habitat for Wildlife: If I could have answered your question I would. The time I spent in Washington was only on the west side along the coast. I didn't really see many if any orchards. It is sooooo wet over there I don't think it is the ideal place to grow them. I could be wrong. The elk there commonly have hoof rot from standing in mushy bogs their entire life. I would imagine root rot would also occur. The place they call the land of fruit was over near Yakima. It's much drier over there. There were orchards for miles and miles along the highways right next to all of the storage facilities. No elk at all in the area. Sorry I wasn't able to help with your question.

07-Jan-14
I agree. For a hunter to bait elk for him self and maybe a friend or two would be insane, harder, and much less rewarding than to just go hunting. But for an outfitter who sees a couple elk in someone's yard and says... if I put just 2 bowhunters, two muzzleloader hunters, and two rifle hunters there at 6K a pop that's 36K so let's make a deal. He knocks on the door and says "How would you like me to pay your 2K in property taxes?" and I guess it's worth his time and gas.

Yes, I saw apples on the west side. But not like the massive amounts to the east. Before the apple connection the method was to see an apple tree or 3 in a yard, ask permission to "pick a few" then pull the garbage cans out of the van and have two young kids climb the tree and shake the hell out of it taking every single apple. The result was, as you said, barely enough apples to keep the elks attention.... and the landowner coming out of the house totally irate yelling "you said a few" as the van sped away with the driver laughing his butt off.

As far as opinions on baiting.... or broadheads, or anything, my New Year's resolution is to go with "to each his own"! As long as we can sleep fine at night with our own decisions that's all that counts I suppose.

07-Jan-14
this concept of soliciting permssion to hunt someone's "yard elk", if even 10% true, is disgusting.

07-Jan-14
Miracle Whip, mayo is for French pansies.

07-Jan-14
Archery95 you have obviously never bait hunted in your life. There are hundreds of different things for an animal to eat and when they are at their peak animals will hit them hard making your bait minimally effective.

However, I have hunted antelope for YEARS! Rarely does it rain 2" during the season. 95% of the time it's hot and dry. If you have an isolated waterhole you will see more animals then ANY bait pile will ever afford you.

You can keep telling yourself it's very different but the reality is it isn't. Especially the guys who are hunting livestock tanks - which are many.

07-Jan-14
The only thing that hunting over water has in common with hunting over bait, is that the animals come to a predictable location.

The difference, and it's a major difference, is that the water is part of their life, part of their backyard, one of usually many possible watering locations, and something they do all year round as a normal part of their life cycle.

Bait is placed specifically for a hunt, usually is not there year round, usually is in one spot not several, is not part of their daily routine, is not part of their usual backyard. All of these things increase the artificial feel of hunting over bait, which is largely a human invention, as opposed to hunting over water which was invented by predators long before the first human ever did it.

Comparing sitting water to sitting bait is apples and oranges. Sitting water is no different then sitting a game path or natural food/cover. You're catching the animal in it's natural movement as opposed to putting an artificial substance in to keep and hold them.

And it's not just getting them there. Eating a pile of something gives the bow hunter an advantage that you wouldn't otherwise have in a normal hunting situation, say, on a game path, because you can place it at the distance you want and have them distracted long enough to get a shot.

And again, comparing the baiting of elk with the baiting of bears is apples and oranges just like comparing sitting water for elk and sitting water for pronghorn. The majority of the elk on this continent live at elevations or areas with multiple options when it comes to drinking.

And I hate to beat a dead horse because it's a silly point, but elk do not spend the majority of their time drinking and a minority of their time eating. They're not freaking manatees. All ruminants spend the bulk of their waking hours eating and a small minority of their time drinking.

It's a stupid point though because my point is that water is a natural thing to hunt and bait isn't.

And don't come back with the "hunting a field of grass is food too." It's natural food and it's not in a convenient pile to pick something off at close range.

This has nothing to do with anything other than some people wanting to defend their chosen method of hunting from being looked down upon by people who hunt differently and lets face it, there's a lot of people out there that talk crap on baiting. That's what this is about.

So what? Hunt how you want. If you want to bait, go ahead. But don't make it out to be something that it isn't.

07-Jan-14
Quote archery95 " I have only hunted bears over bait. Where I hunt baiting is illegal. And I will fight tooth and nail to keep it that way."

So you went to a region that allows baiting for bears and sat over bait to hunt bears. And while you sat there waiting did you think it was wrong or unethical? Did you get excited when bears came in. If you killed a bear [I hope you did] was it disappointing?

I'm not even sure how many bears I've killed, but none over bait. Should I view you as "less" of a hunter than myself? No, and I don't! Some people compare shooting bears over bait to shooting raccoon out of dumpsters. Is that how you felt while doing it?

The idea of hunting elk over huge piles of rotting apples doesn't fit my romanticized ideal of a Rosie hunt. But then neither does sitting 20 yards from a barrel of stinking, fly covered meat and doughnuts meet my expectations of bear hunting. But it is a legal, ethical, and sometimes the only efficient method of providing a hunting experience with a reasonable chance of success.

Last August, I drove 28 hours to hunt Wyoming antelope, for the first time in over thirty years. I should have brought my waders. The whole place was a waterhole. Do I wish I had the only "liquid bait" within miles in front of my blind. You bet I do!! But if I lived in good 'lope country and could hunt them whenever I wanted then I wouldn't have as much at stake.

Usually local state/provincial conditions, terrain and game populations dictate when, where and what should or shouldn't be baited. Science should normally trump "ethics" and emotion. At least I hope so, or we've lost to the anti's.

07-Jan-14
and with that IdyllwildArcher you may have just summed up the entire question/debate. And I agree with nearly everything you said.

07-Jan-14
Woody,

first off, I don't consider hunting over bait to be unethical.

My point has always been that they just don't equate. And not just on the simple level that they're different, but on a deeper level in that ambushing an animal using something that is there 365 days a year, is different than ambushing an animal with something that has been placed very recently that is not part of the natural environment.

Again, people don't take a 5 gal pale of water out and and put it 20 yards from the tree they're in, but if they did, that would be the same as putting out food, IMO.

Taking advantage of things like the rut are different in many ways, but the main three ways are that

1) they would be rutting anyways, naturally. To hunt that animal, you're actively chasing the animal on it's terms as opposed to hunting over bait where you're hunting on your terms.

2) There is a specific skill set involved with hunting elk in the rut, if you're talking about calls. Now, I'm not going to say that it doesn't take skill to run a bait site for bears, nor am I saying that it doesn't take a lot of work; I assume even more work than spotting and stalking a bear. But I will never be convinced that baiting elk is more difficult (skill) than chasing and killing elk in the rut using calls. Calling in elk could even be 1000 times more successful than baiting elk and it would still be more difficult.

You could take an eastern hunter and give him a call and point him towards elk in the woods. What's going to happen? Failure. You could put the same guy on a pile of apples in a stand and... He's now got a shot at killing an elk.

3) You have to get out there! Granted, most bear bait sites are way out there, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about tons of apples delivered by truck. Even comparing this to bear baiting just does not equate. It's apples and oranges.

You may be able to point to a pond here or a cattle tank there, but for the most elk on this continent, their water is in BFE, is varied, and could be any one of many seeps, creeks, springs, rain puddles, etc.

07-Jan-14
I absolutely concur idyllwildarcher. None of the water tanks in southern Arizona were man made. The wells and pumping systems were all done during the extinction of the dinosaurs. Nobody knows for sure how the tanks and wells got there.

07-Jan-14
Besides the tradition of hunting certain animals a certain way, there is the difficulty of hunting certain animals using specific techniques. Using dogs to run lions is largely accepted because it's extremely difficult to kill a lion, especially with a bow, any other way. Baiting bears is generally accepted, because in many places, it's very difficult to hunt them successfully any other way. That's NOT really true for most ungulates. There are other, challenging, but very "doable" ways to hunt them, so many hunters consider baiting unfair.

Baiting also has the very real potential to habituate wild animals to "hand-outs". When used to attract herd animals it can also facilitate disease transmission. So unless it's perceived to be the only realistic way to hunt, the drawbacks outweigh any advantage it gives.

07-Jan-14
Gentlemen - if we cannot get along with our fellow hunter, (archery vs archery no less) how the HELL can we expect to win the argument with the ANTI hunter? Divide and conquer? GH

07-Jan-14
Or divide and BE conquered ?

07-Jan-14
Wel archery 95, I'm aware of the rain that took place on BB's antelope hunt this last year. However, it was still a 100% success. All hunters filled their tags. Myself included.

07-Jan-14
And yes, the rain up there was unusual. It's usually later in the year. And it isn't so cold so early. It was an unusual year there.

07-Jan-14
Habitat for Wildlife, to answer your question, Yes the elk do damage to the apple orchards in eastern Washington. There was a farmer that got in alot of trouble (as he should have) a few years ago because our game dept wouldnt get elk out of his orchard so he killed 10-12 of them. The estimates on the damage they did was between $15-20,000 in just a few days. So yes if the elk get into an orchard they can do alot of damage in a short amount of time.

As for baiting I suppose I'll chime in on that as I do it and I live in Washington.

I started putting out trace mineral salt last year. Its a 4 1/2 hour drive round trip to the place I hunt in the Blues. I start in April or May (depending on when the roads are passable) and go up every 3 weeks to re salt and check camera's. Now from what I learned last year, from when I start until about the middle of August I get between 4500-5000 pics and videos.

Slam dunk, right?? not quite.. about the middle of August they seem to taper WAY off the salt and by September (when we can hunt) with just a speck of pressure elk do what they do. They vanish into the deepest darkest hole they can find....

As for apples, I started out trying them but the only one eating them were bears so I gave up on them because its illegal to bait bears here.

Now I did sit my tree stand for 4 straight days and never seen an elk, so off to that deep dark hole I went. Now calling bulls is fun and I do it but its very unproductive in Eastern Washington because if you dont draw a special permit you are chasing spikes or cows.

07-Jan-14
I am going to buy some apples and dump them on my property(I found an old elk skull there once),haul an old trailer onto it and call it an elk hunting lodge.

07-Jan-14
"You could take an eastern hunter and give him a call and point him towards elk in the woods. What's going to happen? Failure. You could put the same guy on a pile of apples in a stand and... He's now got a shot at killing an elk."

Not much to debate about there. I will say I think it's a great opportunity for people with physical limitations who would not and could not otherwise have an opportunity to take such an animal and enjoy such great meat. But it's nothing to call a great or challenging experience for most of us. It's not an elk hunt. it's not like people can't and don't kill elk in western Washington without bait. In fact that's how 99% of hunters do it so it is not apples to apples when comparing it to bears in the bush.

Trkytrack.... what's that smell? Man you did it again buddy, burnt the popcorn!

07-Jan-14
To answer the OP I don't see much of a difference. To me its just a tactic. With that said its bad enuf I have to carry 60# of gear, food and a bow 6 miles into a wilderness let alone 300,000 lbs of apples. I will stick to my calls there under a lb.

07-Jan-14
DConcrete said,

"I absolutely concur idyllwildarcher. None of the water tanks in southern Arizona were man made. The wells and pumping systems were all done during the extinction of the dinosaurs. Nobody knows for sure how the tanks and wells got there."

Thinking about AZ specifically which holds a small fraction of the elk population on this continent, I said,

"...but for the most elk on this continent, their water is in BFE, is varied, and could be any one of many seeps, creeks, springs, rain puddles, etc."

In a prior post, I said this,

"And again, comparing the baiting of elk with the baiting of bears is apples and oranges just like comparing sitting water for elk and sitting water for pronghorn. The majority of the elk on this continent live at elevations or areas with multiple options when it comes to drinking."

So you see, I specifically eluded to AZ tanks because I figured you might bring them up since they're man made. The White River/Routt National forests in CO alone hold more elk then the entire state of AZ, in multiples. I've hunted the White River ntl forest. There's water everywhere. But you continue to argue minor points and ignore my main point, which I again posted in my last post:

"My point has always been that they just don't equate. And not just on the simple level that they're different, but on a deeper level in that ambushing an animal using something that is there 365 days a year, is different than ambushing an animal with something that has been placed very recently that is not part of the natural environment."

Even your paleolithic AZ guzzlers are there 365 days a year and the elk are hitting them year round as a water source, but it's such a minor point because you're talking about 35000 elk in the entire state when I specifically mentioned the bulk of the continent's elk herd, numbering around a million animals, that are not drinking out of guzzlers.

You want to argue about AZ elk drinking from tanks, if elk drink once a day, twice a day... it's all irrelevant.

It is more than safe to say that the vast majority of elk spend a very small part of their day drinking water from natural sources that vary from week to week.

That is worlds different in comparison to a pile of apples in a single field before and during hunting season.

07-Jan-14
My answer has basically all ready been given: "Congregated animals, as found in baiting and winter feeding, are proven vectors for disease transmission."

As a steward for wildlife, I would hate to see CWD, Brucillosis or any other disease/ pathogen spread, especially due to my personal actions.

07-Jan-14
I say we all should support our fellow hunters in any form of legal hunting.

The "that's not hunting" arguing is ages old and benefits no one in the hunting community. Bowhunters have berated their fellow hunters on numerous methods of take and types of equipment used over the years.

If you think "your" way is immune to this argument think again. If you have wheels on your bow or a sight or use a release, folks have argued "that's not hunting". If you use an ATV, if you drive game towards the hunter, if you use radios, these have all been argued "that's not hunting" at some point.

I could sit here and list many many more examples. My point is the hunting community is constantly under attack by others that want to abolish it and effectively does so one small step at a time. We need to support each other in any legal method and stand united.

07-Jan-14
I don't believe the argument that baiting is just a slam dunk. I hunt both ways. I hunt a lot on water. I have not yet concluded which one I would deem "easier". I don't bait elk or deer much. With the exception of a salt block. I always have a block at all of my waterholes. All animals I've killed where I have both water and salt, they've all been shot at the water. I believe if there's a method that works for you, then you should utilize it. There will always be some that turn their noses up at baiting. I'd rather shoot one at a bait than launch a Hail Mary shot at 70+ yards. But hey, that's my poison. Idllyarcher says don't pretend it's something it's not......what am I pretending it is? I KNOW baiting is a ton of work. I also know it's hard work too. It's time consuming, it's expensive. And animals don't lose their senses when they're eating. They don't go into full blown dumbass mode just because they're at a bait. So I reject the notion that it's such a slam dunk that there's nothing to it. I don't pretend to think that everyone baits on the scale I do. But I do know, the way I do it, the way I was taught by my best friend how to bait, most guys wouldn't put in the work necessary.

07-Jan-14
Woody, I see your point and I'll give you that. I see where you're coming from when you say "artificial," and in that, yes, a call shares a common artificiality.

At the heart of what I'm trying to get across here, is when someone says that baiting is "no different" then sitting water or many other means of hunting, is my own perspective on the very subject of debate here: Coastal Roosevelt Elk.

I called in and killed one. I tromped through the nastiest jungle vegetation up and down near vertical draws, I ambushed trail crossings, I checked out higher elevation water sources, and I finally called in and shot one.

I can't put into words the difficulty of that hunt. Truthfully, I wasn't going to bring it up because I didn't want to appear to be patting myself on the back - I'm sure that's how it'll appear.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to sit by and let anyone insinuate that the subject matter here, driving to a stand and sitting over a pile of apples, has any level of comparison to what I experienced. The only thing those two hunts have in common is the shooting of a Roosevelt Elk. The rest of the hunt has zero comparison. Even ambushing an elk over water or a trail crossing would have been leaps and bounds different just based on how difficult it is to find the elk, get to the elk, find a good place to hunt the elk, and then get the elk out up cliffs with 8 foot ferns on them.

Going after and getting them on their terms is as different a hunt then sitting on apples as apples are to oranges. Even sitting water on public ground would be leaps and bounds more difficult than sitting in a stand over apples.

07-Jan-14
regarding baiting in general - can anyone in NJ honestly say the hunting and health of the herd is better off since it was made legal? For those of you that live in a state that does not allow baiting - you have no idea how rampant and out of control it's become in NJ. It has so distorted deer behavior, turning them into nocturnal vampires hopping from one corn/apple pile to the next after dark. There is not enough space here to properly articulate it - but suffice to say most have just given in and adopted a "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude. (or better yet - if you can't beat them - OUT BAIT THEM).

left to it's own devices and made very legal - you reap what you sow...

"Hi, my name is Jack- and yes I have hunted over a corn pile". While it can be fairly exciting on late season near-starvation hunts watching 10 wary does come in on a string, I for one would rather see it abolished because it's not good at a Macro level but may be fun for some at a micro level.

Fortunately - other than a few does, 95% of my hunts don't involve bait and still have enough spots where I can do it the "old fashion" way.

07-Jan-14
And for the record, I never said that baiting "is not hunting." That was someone else. I never said it was a slam dunk. I never said it wasn't a lot of physical effort to bait, although I did insinuate that to show up somewhere that someone else has done the baiting is not a lot of effort.

I also said that I don't think it's unethical.

I said on the other thread that I have no problem with people baiting elk.

My whole point is that baiting is what it is: Baiting. And it is not the same hunt as going out and chasing elk and calling to them or finding and sitting on their natural water. It's a completely different hunt, just as hunting elk coastal Roosevelts is different then hunting your average American Elk.

Of one thing I am certain: Chasing Roosevelts on the coast is a very difficult hunt and to somehow equate it to sitting over apples that you can drive to is disingenuous and betrays true motive, which is to try and justify baiting when it needs no justifying, other than to maybe make someone feel better about themselves for doing it.

DConcrete: "I'd rather shoot one at a bait than launch a Hail Mary shot at 70+ yards."

I applaud you for that. FYI, my Roosie was shot at 21 yards.

07-Jan-14
It is illegal to bait here in MO as is running deer with hounds both are common practice with a lot of people. both are legal for hogs though. I do bait hog traps it is the best way to kill lots of hogs at once{26 at once is my best yet}. The easy way isn't always the right way, and it is up to the sportsman to keep the hunting tradition alive not the law. with the youth season just getting over I would say it is up to us to teach our kids the right way even if it is alittle harder.

07-Jan-14
Stringgunner. Point taken and well said, my appologies.

Gary@home. Well said, Thank You

07-Jan-14
Yes, good point Woody.

Poor wordage on my part, rereading, sounds like I have a chip on my shoulder, but I don't.

What I meant, was not wanting misinformation to just slide, which we also see eye to eye on.

07-Jan-14
I have seen two references, at least , to Bowsite Forum rules. Where the hell are they, 'cause I can't find 'em. Maybe I should try baitin' ?

07-Jan-14
Ok, I found 'em. I'm a dumdass !

07-Jan-14
Drycreek - What sort of bait did you use for enlightenment? I've been stalking it unsuccessfully for years.

Sorry to hear that yours came with some ground shrinkage though. Maybe it's true that the big ones avoid bait.

07-Jan-14
Now you non baiting compound shooting elk hunters know how the traditional guys feel.:-)

07-Jan-14
It's unethical to call yourself a dumbass!

But don't search "Bowsite dumbass" you'll get 10 pages of search results! lol

07-Jan-14
^^^^ LMAO

07-Jan-14
Stringgunner

As an expert I thought I might have something to say on the subject. I do not think elk should be baited in the mountains of Washington, Oregon or anywhere else on public land in their natural setting. But on private land a fella should be able to hunt anyway he sees fit as long as it is legal to do so. If a rancher, farmer or Outfitter or just plain land owner has an elk herd on their property destroying it, eating their crops or just giving them a place to live for most of the year. During hunting season you only have a short time to harvest a few animal you would want to make sure you used every means necessary to keep the herd in check and the freezer full or in my case the clients happy. I do realize there are states with wide open spaces that this method is not necessary. But in western Washington and north western Oregon the brush is so thick and dense. It becomes a great tool to have in your arsenal of tactics. As an outfitter of Western Washington for the last 17 years it has become my best weapon. Shot opportunities have become kills instead of deflection or worse. If anybody would like a great tree stand elk hunt with a bow over bait I highly recommend the guided elk hunt at Olympic Mountain Outfitters in western Washington. Mike Vaughn Olympic Mountain Outfitters....Feel free to Email me at [email protected] or.. text or call me 360 470-8708

08-Jan-14
Thanks Mike for chiming in and contributing to the conversation. As many have on this thread. There have been some great answers to my original question. As I stated above I wasn't looking for a right or wrong, just thoughts on how others perceive baiting for elk as being different from or the same as baiting for other species, and if hunting over water, etc. was looked upon as the same as a "bait station" be it a barrel for bears, pile of apples for elk, or corn for deer.

And hopefully everyone on here will AVOID turning this conversation into the one going on on the other thread.

I started a new thread for a reason.

08-Jan-14
I am literally cracking up at people saying baiting bears is different than baiting elk. These same posters are citing the level of difficulty required to kill an elk over apples vs actually going out and calling one in or spot/stalk.... I ask you then, how much harder (even more so than elk) would it be to head up north and kill bears without those bait barrels? Does the same difficulty gap not exist? Does baiting not make the pursuit much easier?

I have sat water holes for pronghorn, and will again. There is literally ZERO skill involved (other than resisting suicide as you sit there for 14+ hrs during 100 degree days)... And no not all water is natural. Many, many ranches only have stock tanks left as standing water sources by the time season rolls around. These are metal tanks placed by ranchers to keep cattle alive and used by wildlife to stay alive as well. I guess my point is sitting over the only water sources in a desert environment is even more unfair than adding a pile of food to an environment already rich with food. It's ok to be honest.

Again, I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I have zero interest in EVER hunting elk over bait. I'm just real enough to call a spade a spade and not trip over my own ego on the way I hunt being the right way...

08-Jan-14

Mule Power's embedded Photo
While much of the Pacific Northwest is known to be rain forest, much more of it is not. I walked through those woods. I've also hunted many places in Montana and Wyoming, Maine, Ontario, & New Brunswick that were every bit as thick... if not thicker! In the Naselle and Chehalis areas it is actually easier hunting than Maine, Vermont, or NB and most hunters use conventional methods.

Most landowners in the area don't have "crops". Just grass fields or more accurately, yards. In areas where elk and deer hunters employ the use of tree stands, which is everywhere including MT & WY, they do so the same as any eastern or midwestern hunters do, scouting and learning the habits of the animals they are hunting, and putting in the time needed to be successful and.... enjoying their labor of love.

To suggest that baiting has anything to do with lessening the chance of bad shots or "deflections" due to thick cover is hogwash. So is saying that the outfitter is assisting in reducing crop damage when none of his leases are farms, ranches etc. Even if they were, killing a couple elk would not solve or even reduce the damage.

Baiting makes hunting, or killing an animal easier period. It is used as much or moreso to bait in clients with the thought of guaranteed success as it is elk.

So as far as any affects on habitat or damage incurred on private land, there is no point to be made. Many of the properties barely see an elk all year and if they do they are along the hills in the timber well away from the yards.

With regards to different methods of legal hunting: I was talking to Rut Nut about the things we are thankful to see while out hunting. About the fact that we only actually kill a buck one day each year, if lucky enough, and that if we were only there for the kill we most likely would last as hunters for very long. I think most everyone on here has enjoyed other aspects of hunting than the kill. To see a rare animal or to interact with them in anyway. The "almosts" that happen to us. Bulls and gobblers hanging up just out of range. Like Rut Nut I have lots of pictures that are near and dear to me. I have sat in a stand over bait for bears. There were fun moments watching cubs play or seeing how bears go about approaching a bait site. But there were no impressive views or any other things that made it a joy. Much of the time it was like work.

Like I said, to each his own but to try to say a baiter is helping the landowner, saving the habitat, or anything other than trying to kill animals with their efforts is a joke. To say we enjoy the standard ways of hunting is something all of us probably agree on including people who bait. Although, I know 1 or 2 who have never tried it any other way ever. Here are some of my "trophies" By the way... I treed this little kitty, two other kits, and their mother by bawling like a hound with my voice. No dogs. I'll ever forget that day.

08-Jan-14

No hero shot here! The rack is not the main focus of this pic. It is simply used as a frame and the main subject matter is one of my favorite places in God's country: Wyoming.

08-Jan-14

The value of this pic has nothing to do with the fact that we were successful. To me it brings memories of a great day with a great friend and REALLY nice guy who worked together with me. We had some great times and lots of laughs before and after killing the bull. We worked hard before the hunt, and even harder after the animal was down lovin' every minute of it.

08-Jan-14

This pic is special to me. It was my first client ever. I booked him at a show in Chicago. He wasn't much of a hunter. Had no friends that hunted and so though very nervous, he came alone. He was afraid of horses too. In this awesome pic, which he has told me is one of his greatest treasures, he was saying "Please don't talk to me or use a flash, just take the pic and get me off of here!" That's so funny because doesn't he look like a hardcore guide/outfitter? LOL

08-Jan-14

No need for words right? Who needs to kill to have fun and appreciate life in places like this?

Stringunner, I hope you don't feel these posts were to far off track. You mentioned that baiting, more than anything, is just a different hunting preference. I agree, but who would prefer that over this? To each his own. ;-)

08-Jan-14
TEmbry: Brother we are cut from the same cloth!

08-Jan-14

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo
Nice vista but Western Washington is a rain forest straight out of Jurassic Park and is every bit as thick or thicker than Canadian bush where they bait bears. Also Roosevelts don't seem to wander in the open very much if at all. The only place to see a mountain (i.e. volcano) here is from the highway. All the mountains are volcanos including Mt. St. Helens, Ranier and Hood. You might not even be able to see the sky. Here is a picture of a "clearing" that I took because it was the only one I saw. The ferns here are 6 feet high and getting a clear shot is a real issue. Baiting here at least gives you a clear shot. A lot of places you can't even walk through except by walking on the same path the elk are using.

08-Jan-14
I don't agree with water sources being "unfair."

Atleast here in Colorado where I hunt. There are water sources all over the place. Sitting on a waterhole will better your chances but the Pronghorn had the option of different waterholes. It's far from unfair in my opinion. But I'm not hunting a place that had only one waterhole.

I see it as just another tactic for being successful for a bow. Much like sitting in a treestand over a trail that a whitetail walks on. That's unfair right? Guys should have to sit on the ground and not on a trail that the deer use often.

In Colorado we can't bait anything. So baiting doesn't appeal to me at all anyways.

I think a benefit of bear baiting is the abilty to decifer a sow with cubs vs a boar. When hunting bears the they way. You might be presented with a quick shot on a bear. And not have time to size it up and be presented with a nice shot. Elk on the other hand are pretty easy to tell what is a female and what is a male...without the use of bait

Elk would be baited easily I think. Just look in te winter at elk eating ranchers hay. It's crazy they flock to it.

08-Jan-14

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
Devils Club = Nasty stuff with irritant thorns. Leather gloves help but you'd best avoid it.

I've live in W WA and have bowhunted ELK since 1985. WA regs require that you select E side or W side for an tag so you are locked in if you apply for a E side tag. So. of the 15 years +/- I hunted W Wa I've taken one elk. I've had much better success in E OR, E WA and NW CO. I hunted MT with MulePower one time and saw some ELK along with several wolves.

08-Jan-14

08-Jan-14
If God put it there, it's not baiting, if a hunter does, it's baiting!

08-Jan-14
Some years back I tried it. Put rolled oats out and a camera to see what came in. Every chipmunk and squirrel in the county hit the bait pile. They must have had a good winter with all they took. Took 90% of it back home for horses to eat. Never used it again.

08-Jan-14
Greg,

Thanks for the pic. I heard about Devil's Club from an Alaska Outfitter that bought our gear several years ago. Always wanted to see it up close.

08-Jan-14

alwayshunting's embedded Photo
alwayshunting's embedded Photo
Here is a photo of me and my son. He just turned 11 years old just days before this photo and this is his second elk with a bow it is a 4x4 Roosevelt elk. I baited it in for him on a friends piece of property. It only took about five thousand pounds of apples to do so. He shot it at 20 yards and it left a great blood trail. It went about two hundred and fifty yards and expired. I don't think I would be able to get my son a shot at an elk with a bow 3 years in a row at such a young age, at such a close range without the use of a tree stand and bait. Don't worry when he gets bigger I will make him go into our thick woods and run one down and kill it with his bow. As I have done too so many myself. But as for now he is still too yong. In addition to my friends property I have many least properties all over Western Washington I can also put smiles on faces of hunters that have hunted in the Rocky Mountains for years. Hunters who's knees and bodies don't work the way they used to, hunters who only have six and a half days to hunt and need to get the job done, hunters that love a great tree stand whitetail hunt and would like to see elk at close range interact with each other and have a great chance of harvesting one . Or young hunters who have passed hunter safety course and can draw a 40 pound minimum. If you fall under any of these categories and are ready for a great tree stand elk hunt, you can book your hunt with Olympic Mountain Outfitters........ ............. Mike Vaughn.. .........Olympic Mountain Outfitters

08-Jan-14
I distribute almost 300,000 pounds of apples per season to stand locations all over Washington....Mike Vaughn Olympic Mountain Outfitters

08-Jan-14
And here we go....

Sorry to see this thread now getting taken over. We have had some very productive posts...

Thank you to all whom have answered the question either directly or indirectly.

08-Jan-14
Spot on Woody !!!

08-Jan-14
I can't figure out if you're bragging about the apples or how good the elk hunting is.

10-Jan-14
I'de bait a coyote, because I want him dead I'd also take a risky shot at a coyote because I want him dead (not trying to offend) I don't feel any pride or sense of personal accomplishment when I kill a coyote over bait.....but I do if I call one in.....not sure why....I guess I feel like I outsmarted one and just murdered the other.....either way I'm glad he's dead

I don't really feel like I'm hunting when I'm sitting over a carcass waiting for coyotes....that doesn't stop me from doing it though, and it is still fun....feels more like shooting. Sort of like shooting prairie dogs.....you don't really hunt them....you shoot them.

I couldn't ever see wanting to bait big game animals, but to each their own. I'm glad its illegal here not over ethics big fin brought up some really good points. i guess i dont see the need and it can complicate things

10-Jan-14
Baiting blurs the distinction between hunting and killing. There are some animals/some locations where baiting is the only way to have a realistic opportunity to get an animal in bow range...like black bears in thick, nasty country where spot and stalk is not an option. In far to many cases however, it is used as a crutch to make up for the lack of woodsmanship/hunting skills and for those not willing to put in the time/effort to enjoy success.

21-Mar-14
Wow !! As a Washington resident, and Elk hunter for 34+ years, I actually decided to start my own guide service after hearing from some dissatisfied clients that were exposed to this practice. I think the main complaint was that there was no consistency, the elk would visit the piles at night, or were there last week, not this week. OR, there were only a few bulls in the herd because a bait pile is only attractive to the local resident herd, and after a few get harvested, the other hunters are S.O.L., those success pictures look great to book a hunt, but after the $$ gets deposited in the providers bank account the next in line sits and waits for ??? I see nothing wrong with the ethics of hunting in a legal manner, I feel the objections are a result of the unsuccessful hunters feeling like they got a pretty raw deal. It is like going to a trout pond, and charging everyone the same fee, but only putting 3 fish in. Whether you use bait, or not, there are no guarantees in Elk hunting, but if you are a "one trick pony" and the only way to get a client on animals is by baiting, congratulations on being able to make a living at it, I don't question your ethics, or legality, but you do have to accept the criticism. It must work, as there are more than just one outfit doing it, but there seems to be a lot of dissatisfied hunters.

21-Mar-14

Bou'bound's Link
The thread in question is here. Can't add to it as it was locked, but it will help frame up the comments above from a context perspective.

21-Mar-14
If what you hunt over is there naturally,( or placed there as an income crop, not as bait), in my mind, that's a huge difference then hunting over man placed bait or attractant !!! You baiters need to quit trying to equate the two.

Having said that, if it's legal where you hunt, and you don't have the skills or time or effort, go bait !

And before you ask me about scents, spray, mineral blocks etc., No ,I don't use them.!

21-Mar-14
I bait because I enjoy the very aspect of it. I bait because I love the hard work that comes with how I bait. I bait because I love to collect doughnuts and grease and cows. I bait because I love to build tree stands. I have a sincere passion for baiting. So lahawkeye? ?? How's that make me less of a woodsman? Could I fairly say you're lazy because you won't put into it what I do? I would never say that. I put far more into a baited hunt than most put into their enter seasons. My baiting has nothing to do with making it easier. Without bait, I see Zero reason to bear hunt. It isn't the animal that makes the bear hunt for me. It's the baiting aspect. I don't expect you to understand but I'd certainly expect a little more respect from Fellow hunters. Lazy? Hardly. Poor woodsman ship? Hardly.

21-Mar-14
After looking at the http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=5&threadid=427335&MESSAGES=326&FF=5 I understand a little more, as a local, and resident, I know the truth, ... there is also the thing called "google" But all that aside, as a Traditional Archer that hunts coastal Washington State, anybody who says you cannot call, spot and stalk, or otherwise hunt for Roosevelt's without baiting just has no skill as an elk hunter. Check the WDFW harvest reports. sure you can drive through packwood, or out on the coast anywhere along 101 and see elk in/near town, but they also live in the woods.

21-Mar-14

Stiknstring's embedded Photo
No Bait

21-Mar-14

No Bait

21-Mar-14

Might try to bait this one...

21-Mar-14
What a bunch of master baiters?

22-Mar-14
You can hunt bear by stillhunting but you have to key on food sources. My favorite is a beechnut ridge because they favor beechnuts above all feed up here, even bait stations. If you truly want a hair raising thrill, call bears. I have called several in and it can be thrilling because you become the hunted. I don't like to eat bear so I don't shoot them anymore, though it was easy to find people who wanted the meat. The AMC hut at the base of Mt Washington used to take mine and the chef there would put on a bear feed for the guests. He would invite my family and that was the only bear I ever ate that I loved.

22-Mar-14
I am just glad it is illegal here and I don't need to worry about it.

22-Mar-14
Hell yes. Let's pass more laws and become even more restricted. I'm glad for laws too. We need more of them.

22-Mar-14
And yes you can still hunt them. But as I posted earlier, the baiting aspect for bears is what I love. And some of you are advocating to take that away from me. And that's where I get very very defensive about that. It's my passion. I don't try to take yours. Don't try to take mine.

22-Mar-14
Bears are different than Elk, weird thing is, Washington State allows you to bait deer, elk, coyotes, etc., just not Bear, Turkeys, upland birds and waterfowl... This thread was about Elk though... And I have nothing against baiters, just don't agree when someone claims "it is the only way" You are welcome to hunt how you like, I can respect that, I even wish I could bait bears, I would even put out apples for them ;) I see the misrepresentation of baiting for elk being effective because of terrain, when in my opinion it is a tactic to hunt in an area that is mostly urban, and property boundaries limit accessible area, and conditioning local herds to visit the bait piles. It is an effective method, but reason the elk are small is due to lack of nutrition, and overharvest of bulls from a resident herd.

22-Mar-14
Dconcrete- I have absolutely no issue with bear baiting. They are tough to stillhunt and when you finally see one you generally shoot. Baiting, along with hound hunting allows you to be selective. I personally am a walker in the woods. A couple of hours sitting still is about all I can take without going nuts. I have to see what is over the next ridge.

22-Mar-14
Thought the post was about elk !

• Sitka Gear