midwest 01-Apr-14
Z Barebow 02-Apr-14
Heat 02-Apr-14
Lone Bugle 02-Apr-14
21-Jan-14

Triple 3's embedded Photo

Triple 3's Link
How bout a tip of the hat to the unsung heroes of our hunting camps the cooks. While the hunters and guides get all the glory and enjoy the adventure. Our cheerful and hard working camp cooks work tirelessly preparing, baking, cleaning up, cutting fire wood, waiting endless hours for the hunters return. They are the first to arise in the wee dark hours of the morning and the last to retire at night. To my way of thinking the camp cook is the heart of any camp. If you have a lousy dirty surly cook you have a very poor camp. On the other hand a cheerful, clean and neat cook will turn a tough hunt, cursed with bad weather and scarce game into a memorable experience. Many of our hunters talk about and request certain cooks they had in camp more so than the guides that guided them! Thought I would show a few of my unsung hero's of the camp. Believe me we have some interesting guys and gals! Maybe you all will share some too!

Craig Well Fed Bowsite Sponsor

21-Jan-14

Triple 3's Link
Scary Twisted Sisters

21-Jan-14

21-Jan-14

21-Jan-14

21-Jan-14

21-Jan-14

21-Jan-14
Nice thread Craig. They really are the hub of the wheel. First to rise.... last to bed. And all the while they can make or break the atmosphere just by doing it with pride and an upbeat attitude. I always made sure they had good food and everything else they needed to get the job done right. My cooks always made great tips. There were hunts where I could have taken that job myself. No thanks! The work is NEVER done and I need more sleep than that!

Hats off to the elk camp cooks!!! Hopefully one day I'll get the opportunity to tip your cook bud. :-)

21-Jan-14
Have always said it is the toughest job in camp except for boating home in a lightning storm, then I would trade them.

21-Jan-14

Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
Jaquomo_feral's embedded Photo
Cow elk coming to sniff the marinated ribs on the barbie in elk camp.

My partner and I trade elk camp cooking duties, alternating nights. One night bacon-wrapped fillets with grilled shrimp, the next night rib eyes with grilled corn on the cob, next night marinated bear kabobs. His specialty is smoked, slow-cooked marinated pork ribs. Good stuff!

21-Jan-14
I spent five days hunting mulies once in Co. The cook was a master at his trade. He always got up about 4:00 and I woke shortly after. When I heard the first " clink " come from the cook tent, I would dress , go over and talk and drink coffee. That was the best part of that hunt. He had cooked in cow camps, mining camps, and hunting camps for most of his life. Very interesting to visit with. I remember him frying eggs in the oven in a muffin pan ! Just rub a little Crisco in each hole, crack an egg in, and put 'em in the oven. Nobody went hungry ! Good memories.

21-Jan-14
I guided in a camp with a woman cooking once. She was in her early 60's and tough as nails. She would NOT let anyone give her a hand with anything. When I got up for my middle of the night leak I'd go into the cook tent and stack the fire and let it get rippin'. Then before I went back into my tent I'd damp it down.

Nothing like getting up at 3:30 or 4 and pulling up the zipper and realizing it was a balmy 70 degrees in there instead of having to chip the ice off of things.

She never said a whole lot about it but I was the only one who got away with swearing in the dining tent and she;d smile when she handed me my lunch & my sandwiches were always a little thicker than the rest. :-)

22-Jan-14

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Invited a couple close friends along for an elk hunt in Colorado. Only one intended to hunt elk. His dad just wanted to tag along and enjoy the mountains...and one of his favorite hobbies is cooking.

First and only time I've ever gained weight on an elk hunt!

22-Jan-14
I had a group of hunters bring their uncle Ron along to cook. He was about 70 and had a work ethic that today's kids never saw the likes of. His dinners were nothing short of incredible. I never saw the guy eat. I guess he munched on things here and there throughout the day when we were gone. When we showed up dinner was ALWAYS on time and plenty of it. He would put everything on the table and say "Have at it boys". He knew what a good job he did and even though I paid him his real joy was to watch and listen as everyone dug in and raved about the food. He would stand in one corner and just smile from ear to ear. Sometimes with a 7&7 in his hand.

Also... the mess tent was spotless. I kid you not he even shined up the metal pole frame on the inside of the tent. Nothing beats a good cook who really enjoys their job and truly wants to be there. To this day even though I'm not related to him I call him Uncle Ron. What a guy!

22-Jan-14
Not elk camp, but bear camp with Ron and Jeannine Dare at Bear Track Outfitters.

That little lady in the back, Jeannine, is truly an artist in the kitchen. I've never had better meals ANYWHERE!

22-Jan-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

22-Jan-14

Triple 3's Link
Here is a photo of my Hazel Park Cook tent. Lowell has been cooking for me up there and at other camps over ten years. His Elk meat loaf and Mud Slides(biscuit and gravy) are his signature meals.

Craig

Well fed Bowsite Sponsor

22-Jan-14
Hunted this fall with the Cheff Guest Ranch Montana. Went with Rifle this time. 29 mile horse ride into the Bob Marshal Wilderness area. Our cook was 62 year old named Bob. We ate like Kings. In Northwest Ontario at Pine Acres, Lottie will make you gain wait on any visit!

22-Jan-14
Triple, those kabob's are killing me. Gonna have to make some now.

22-Jan-14

Triple 3's Link
Tcosmic, We had em again last night. Ray, the cook in the photo also cooks for our Tue night poker games. Marinated cubes of elk, onions, peppers, mushrooms, sausage. Put em on a bed of Rice! Damn they are good! I am gona go see if there were any leftovers, I doubt it

Craig

22-Jan-14

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Grouse on a stick... sponsored by zwickey....after 3 or 4 days of freeze dried.... heaven on earth...

Rabbits and squirrels in trouble as well....once made cottontail omelets with freeze dried eggs.... everybody (all 3 of us) raved about it and it was gone in seconds it seemed. Next half hour was scrubbing the pan....

Tried it at home.... lets just say it wasn't nearly the same and leave it at that...

22-Jan-14
I guess your elk hunts and camps are a little different than mine, lol!

22-Jan-14
Me too oldgoat. Every elk hunt is a celebration of life. The only differences between my cook tent and Morton's of Chicago steakhouse is I don't require reservations and no dress code. :-)

22-Jan-14
Great pics and stories.... Been going solo so long I 've almost forgotten what a csmp cook is...

22-Jan-14
Great thread. Lots goes into keeping Hunters fed and happy!

22-Jan-14
And here I thought I had it made eating MTN House meals two times a day last fall elk hunting. That looks way better.

23-Jan-14

Triple 3's Link
Top Chef TTT Kitchen

Craig

Bowite Sponsor

24-Jan-14
I couldn;t go on a hunt with you Craig..............I'd never make it out of camp! ;-)

BTW, I'm sitting here eating my lunch: MTN House beef stew. (honest to God! ;-)

25-Jan-14
Just curious what kind of sausage do you use looks great Lewis

26-Jan-14
Hats off to my camp cook. Oh wait a minute, that would be me :)

01-Apr-14

BULELK1's Link
I have got to where I like French Toast before I leave in the morning.

Good luck, Robb

01-Apr-14
I like French Toast now too.

01-Apr-14
You guys haven't lived until you've had my scratch buttermilk pancakes.

...made while wearing a thong.

02-Apr-14
Robb,

I'll bet you don't have any video's of her frying bacon! LOL!

Nick- You are ruining the vibe!

02-Apr-14
LOL Robb! Nobody would leave camp with her french toast around!

02-Apr-14
Midwest, I just puked a little in my mouth.....

• Sitka Gear