Mike Turner 13-Feb-14
tradmt 13-Feb-14
cityhunter 13-Feb-14
Mule Power 13-Feb-14
Rick M 13-Feb-14
Z Barebow 13-Feb-14
11-Feb-14

WapitiBob's Link
Appears to change the NR allocation to 10% and the NR Special allocation from 40% up to 60%.

I'm pretty sure somebody forgot to calculate the NR contribution to the Game Dept budget.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2014/Introduced/HB0112.pdf

11-Feb-14
What until the Outfitters's Union gets wind of this one.

11-Feb-14
"Outfitter's Union" is more appropriate. The only place in the USA where NR are excluded from public ground. powerful enough to squelch this BS.

11-Feb-14
Delmag, I understand your frustration, but NR are NOT excluded from public ground. You can go in there all day long. You just can't hunt big or trophy game without a guide or resident guide, which, by law, is governed by the state.

11-Feb-14
How does that compare with the amount of elk licenses allotted now? I believe it currently is a set number and not a percentage, is that correct?

11-Feb-14
NR are allocated 16% for Deer and Elk but are guaranteed 7,250 Full Price Elk tags. The LO tags come out of that 16% prior to the nr draw also. Based on my limited knowledge, without changing the Legislated 7,250 amount, this Bill isn't going to do as intended.

11-Feb-14
The hunting community that relies on income from out of state hunters like myself who come to Wyoming often to hunt need to vote the douches out who sponsored this bill. Idiots.

11-Feb-14
Im curious has any hunter challenged this NR law in the courts .

11-Feb-14
city, Yes it has been challenged before and it was upheld.

12-Feb-14
Jesus. What's next?

Do the math for me Bob... what % of the current number of elk licenses do non-res hunters have available to them?

12-Feb-14
23-2-401.Guides required; exceptions; issuance of resident guide license. (a) No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide.

Any person violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor as prescribed under W.S. 23-2-417

(a).The Minimum Fine is $110 and a misdemeanor charge for a first offense for a Non Resident caught hunting a wilderness area for Big game with out a Reisdent guide, Licensed Outfitter or a Licensed Guide.

Doesn't seem like a bad trespass fee....

12-Feb-14
The fine may be minimal, but losing your elk, vehicle, gear and hunting prieleges would likely make getting nailed in the wilderness, an unpleasant experience.......

12-Feb-14
Yes Monarch, it looked like a 10% increase across the board when I viewed the link yesterday, but it wasn't an extremely close look.

I was going to figure out the percentage on the elk tags, but I can't seem to find the totals, only by Hunt Area. I'm not adding them up. General tags for residents are waay "under-subscribed" from what I saw.

It looks like Game & Fish revamped their website again and it sucks again.

12-Feb-14
No Dave it sounds like what will be coming to NM next year. The resident NAMbie and NMWF/UBNM movement will be pushing for the 90/10 allocation here.

Non residents will be taking it in the shorts again. SB-196 didn't satisfy them. They think the NAM justifies their position of hunting as a right not a privilege.

12-Feb-14
Mule, money received from NR licenses, fees and stamps is close to an 80/20 split from what I have read. I have no data to back it up though.

I just heard that this Bill is getting pulled. We'll see if true.

12-Feb-14
As I've posted before, a "resident guide" can be a drunk hippie chick from a bar in Laramie. As long as she can walk, she qualifies as a "guide" wrt the wilderness law. Or a homeless guy, who'd probably "guide" you for the cost of feeding him for a week. He already has his camping equipment, most likely.

I wish CO would ratchet-down the NR pool but that's not realistic, considering the financial impact it would have. Instead, they've removed a whole bunch of licenses from the general drawing pool and given them to outfitters/brokers to sell to NRs.

Suppose the number of points needed for NRs to draw in WY will creep up a tad?

12-Feb-14
Do you have any pictures of the drunk hippy chicks found in Laramie bars? Sounds like that plan may have potential. :-)

12-Feb-14
"already has his camping equipment" too funny.

12-Feb-14
For the life of me I will never understand limiting NR tags when they pay anywhere from 10-20+x residents do.

Why in the world would you want to limit that?

Add on the fact most NR hunts last a week or less.

In any other industry you would never limit that type of profit.

12-Feb-14
Lou... does she have to be able to walk a straight line? lmao!

You and I have discussed Laramie before. Hugh Hefner's house has nothing on that place huh! I stop and get gas there even if I have 3/4 of a tank. :-)

12-Feb-14
Western States limit non resident tags when the resource supply is lower than demand. The owners of the resource usually get some preferential access since...well...its their elk.

12-Feb-14
Except it CO where they will gladly take the millions of dollars.

12-Feb-14
The part about the sheep/moose tags is straight forward, but I'm struggling to understand exactly what the change is to the NR elk tags.

12-Feb-14
Steke, Laramie is an outdoorsy college town with a high bars-to-coeds ratio.

If they'd had this stupid outfitter welfare rule back in my single days, would've been fairly simple for my buddy and me to convince a couple of them to go camping/hiking for a few days, you know, during September.

Heck, we used to do it anyway.. :-)

13-Feb-14
So, does this mean the higher priced NR applications get 60% of the 10% set aside for NR?

13-Feb-14
The writing has been on the wall for years in Wyoming, and almost all other states for even longer. This bill would be no surprise at all. I've come to expect bait & switching nonresident point values, and always warn newbies of it when they jump in the point games. States feel no responsibility to maintain the value of what they peddle. So for Wyoming I began planning years ago, dumping my 8 sheep points back when they jacked the nonrefundable rate to $100/year. That was a mathematical deal breaker. Then I quickly cashed in my moose points as soon as I could draw anything average, and afterwards quit that game. Then last year burned my max elk & lope points. So all I got left is deer points in WY. This bill proposal just pushed me over the edge for those poor value points to begin with, so I'm now all in to burn them this year. Was thinking of it anyway. Not worth waiting 10 years for a 170" buck. So my closet will be bare by the time they try to devalue what I have left! I beat them to the punch! :)

I have no problem with states deciding what they want for NR quotas. It's the part about devaluing previously sold points that I feel is unethical. In my 20 years of applying in 14 states, only two did not devalue the points they sold me............Arizona & New Hampshire. That's it.

13-Feb-14
Great post Zim! I've hunted Wy for over 20 years now and I believe it's time to do the same. I'm sitting on 15 moose points so I'll pull the trigger next year and cross another state off my list if this goes through! Mike

13-Feb-14
Maybe some of you should become WY residents.

Whats the NR tag percentage in your state?

13-Feb-14
Tradmt Im trying that's my dream place to live !!!!!!

13-Feb-14
Me too City!

13-Feb-14
I don't know how this bill would effect non res draw odds but I do know I am going to have to swing into Laramie the next time I draw:)

Hope the wife doesn't get on Bowsite!!

13-Feb-14
My plans are to retire in WYO.

I am going to copy and paste my comments from another site.

"I think these legislators need to figure out what they are trying to solve. (Seems to me like they think they increasing revenues and doing some political pandering at the same time)

Like was mentioned, does this proposal increase revenue? I am not seeing it. You decrease the numbers of NR's, there goes you main source of license revenues.

Are they trying to increase revenue for all RES/NR and then trying to sweeten the pot by throwing NR's under the bus to appease RES increase?

The proposal that was shot down in the house sub committee had the same fee structure increase (as I remember and I had no problem with that proposal) But this one screws with many more issues that don't need messing with.

As alluded to, many of the RES hunts go unfilled and are offered up to NR's to meet the NR license quota/tag allocation. (IE Not a tag shortage). NR's pay much more for these unpurchased tags. Are those financials incorporated into revenue calculations?

What about going forward? How will this affect NR application numbers? Look to Idaho and Montana for reference when reviewing application numbers, post license increase. (Effectively what this bill does by pushing NR's toward Special Draw)

I think these folks need plexiglass installed in their abdomen's so they can see where they are walking. "

2nd comment.

Originally Posted by XXX XXXX View Post

So let me get this straight: the Wyoming Game & Fish is strapped financially (long term) and cutting access programs, overflights and fisheries programs, and these guys think reducing the NR revenue stream by 50% is a good thing?

If i were cynical, and I am, I would think this is more about breaking WGFD's back and pushing them into a Utah model more than it is about anything else. Especially after seeing some of this brain trust in action.

They're banking on residents supporting this. If i were a resident of WY, i would be pretty pissed off at how the Legislature is dealing with hunters & anglers.

Z Barebow comment "RE: Revenue stream. Precisely my point. If the G& F has revenue shortfalls, how will driving NR's away fix revenue issues? They won't. And after several years, the SFW buzzards circle the crippled G&F and the Utah model is implemented.

This is not about raising money. Everyone is looking at the proposal for face value. Look into the background of the authors of this bill. Think a couple steps down the road. I smell SFW types. "

For those of you who don't know, SFW is Sportsmen For Wildlife. These guys are NOT for DIY public land hunters with access for all. They are the organization responsible for the conducting tag auctions in Utah to support their own expo and the organization administration, and very little funding to support the wildlife of Utah.

Too many hunters are looking at this proposed bill at face value. Folks are looking at this and saying "How will this affect me today?" You should be asking yourself, "What will happen in within the Wyoming G&F in 3-5 years if this bill passes?" (And when the projected results fall short of projections) ID and MT are already experiencing reductions in license revenue, post license increases. (I am not opposed to a license increase. 10% was more than fair. It's all of the other stuff on this proposed bill that will cause a death spiral in WYO.

• Sitka Gear