earlyriser 08-Mar-14
motorhead7963 09-Mar-14
Jeremiah 16-Mar-14
bullbit 20-Mar-14
timbo 25-Mar-14
huntingbob 26-Mar-14
BULELK1 26-Mar-14
28-Feb-14
Hey Guys, I am in a dilemma, I can draw 76 this year, but do I really want too? With the fire situation from last year and the points creep on unit 61. I am considering just hunting 49 or 501(areas I am familiar with). Or do I consider going out of state for a couple years? I have heard rumblings the they are going to change the draw system in the near future, what have you heard? I hate being in no-mans land with my points. Did any of you guys hunt 76 last year and did you have a good experience? I would appreciate any input that can be provided.

28-Feb-14
Nick, I am in the same boat and I am a NR. I have 11 pps. Pretty sure I could draw, but thinkng like you after about 40% of 76 burned last year, maybe I should wait a year or so...after a couple years, things should green up and maybe be worth the effort.

28-Feb-14
If the weather cooperates the elk will be in the burns.

76 is an opportunity unit. Some big bulls will come out of there but most will be 260-300.

I am going to have the same dilemma next year.

01-Mar-14
The problem with the burn in GMU 76 was how hot the fire was. They say bit sterilized the soil, burnt it very bad. Most forest fires will leave trees standing, but this fire burned everything to the ground. It looks like the surface of the moon in a lot of places. So, it was said it will take years and years before things start to grow again. Right now, they are worried bout mud slides this spring, along with all the ash getting into the streams and water.

Everyone thinks that the wilderness will give you lots of opportunities at several big bulls, but it doesn't. And 76 isn't a magical place like it was 10 years ago. Because of the trail systems, lots of guys sneak into 76 to hunt. There are better areas in Colorado that offer the same opportunities on big bulls. Unless you're dead set on hunting 76, then good luck...

01-Mar-14
Bugl, good to know as I thought they were attempting to seed some of those areas?

01-Mar-14
I totally love hunting last years burn no matter what state/unit for elk...and for 3-5 years after a big burn for that matter.

It is a no brainer that Az. unit 27 with the fire new growth will produce some real PIG bulls in '14 season.

No doubt Colo. unit 76 will be a great tag to draw this year with all the lush new growth.

Nothing beats lush/new growth from a year later fire.

Good luck, Robb

Ps. if ya do not draw go for 1 or 2 of the very few for sale L.O. tags!

01-Mar-14
Once the soil is burned as bas as it was in the West Fork fire, seeding wont do any good cause nothing will grow in it. There are videos on facebook taken by some of the firefighters that is amazing to watch. The speed of the fire and the damage done was it crossed roads leaves you in awe... Most everyone that drew last year ended up around the Rio Grande Resevior. And we still haven't heard of any big bulls killed last fall, just small sixes and young bulls to fill tags...because of the fire, you weren't allowed into the wilderness from Williams Lake trailhead. I do know that Ute Creek and the Pyramid burned, just don't know how bad...

01-Mar-14
The unit has not been a "big" bull area for many years. It has been an opportunity unit. With point creep I will have some time if I decide to apply for it.

Thanks for the intel Bugl.

Rick M

02-Mar-14

elk6x6325's embedded Photo
I was there, saw the burns and the elk, all in the same place I might add. There was already new growth started in a lot of the burns I saw. Now I only hunted two days before I killed mine and passed up many 5 and 6 point bulls. I saw several bigger bulls that just didn't come together for me. I also had 3 slow hours were I didn't see anything, but I was taking a nap by a lake. Wish I hunted longer it was great country and full of elk and devoid of people. If there were people sneaking in to where I was hunting they had better of packed a lunch cause it would of taken them a week to get there. I can see on the edges how this could happen but its a huge unit. I would love to go back this year with the new growth. There will be mudslides and the trails will be in rough shape for sure. I would love to go back this year!

02-Mar-14

I might add I am from PA and had never set foot in this unit before.

02-Mar-14

02-Mar-14

02-Mar-14

02-Mar-14

These are elk tracks crossing a road that was washed out in the middle of a severe burn. We had also just seen 2 nice bulls right of the same road from the truck in the middle of the same burn.

02-Mar-14
Great bull, elk6x6325! I would LOVE to hunt GMU76.

02-Mar-14
That is a great bull!

I am applying for the archery elk hunt this year. I am trying to find another hunter to join me. I have 11 NR points. If anyone is interested, let me know.

02-Mar-14
I'll be there in 2016. Can't wait! 320 or bust

05-Mar-14
I hate being in no-mans land myself and I have been trying to decide to switch to 76 or another. 61 has about 1/3pt creep every year. By my calcs I should have around a 35% draw chance in 61 this year.

Elk6, congrats on the bull!

05-Mar-14
Hunted the divide road above the Rio Hondo last fall all the way to the yurt. Good animals lots of action. 76 is an interesting unit from an access perspective.

06-Mar-14
Dear God....talk about 'scorched earth'

06-Mar-14

RickH's embedded Photo
RickH's embedded Photo
Great bull elk6x6325, congratulations. I hunted 76 in 2012. This is a huge unit with lots of elk scattered over pretty much the entire unit. Just a small percentage of the unit burned. My experience is that elk will definitely be in those burned areas with all the new grass coming up through the ashes. With heavy rains though there could be some substantial erosion in these areas. I hunted the northern end of the unit and was into elk every day. Bulls bugled around my camp all night. The bull I killed wasn't a monster but it was still a great hunt with lots of backcountry and no crowds. If I had the points I would definitely put in again. I hunted 61 a few years back. It too was an incredible hunt but I don't want to wait that long to hunt it again.

06-Mar-14
Nice bull Elk6X6325, I'd like to chat with you sometime about 76. I'm also from Pa the northeast part.. I've got my hunt most likely planned for this year. But been looking at unit 10 or maybe unit 76 for 2015. I hunted a unit back 10 or 12 years ago that burned bad two years before.. It had ton of growth from the floor to about 2 feet.. I saw tons of elk and deer. Tee

06-Mar-14
Double post

06-Mar-14
Ha! Probably won't draw now with elk6x6325's post!

06-Mar-14
There are 9 LO tags---spend the $$ and enjoy the hunt!

Good luck, Robb

07-Mar-14
I haven't been there since 2010,It does look bad but the Elk will be there. They eat grass not trees.

07-Mar-14
I think Robb said it best....great unit made even better by the fire. I would love to hunt 76 this year....

07-Mar-14
Little do people realize FIRE is actually good for a Forest.

08-Mar-14
motorhead very FEW people understand that and many get pissed and belittle you for making such statements.

On another forum when this fire was active, I said it needed to burn all the way to WY... For awhile I thought i might have said I was in a raiding party on the loose raping women and children...

08-Mar-14
I think most understand the huge benefit a fire provides to the wildlife. It just sucks when the fire it burning in your unit the year you draw:)

I also understand that the intensity of some of these fires, sometimes due to the fire suppression practice over the years, can and does prevent regrowth.

I thought that the re seeding efforts in these areas does work? Can anyone elaborate on that?

08-Mar-14
I remember you saying that mntman742 and some of the comments that followed. Glad you are thick skinned. It is true, most of our forests need to get burned.

09-Mar-14
When a forest gets burned even as bad as this one did. THEY DO NOT NEED TO BE SEEDED, Man! people still don't get it, a fire does not benefit the wildlife alone it benefits THE FOREST also. Think about it how many times have you been in the forest and seen a crew of people cleaning the forest floor IE: dead fall, over growth, branches laying every where, ETC. ETC. Yeh that never happens that is what a fire does it CLEANS, REFRESHES, MAKES ANEW.

16-Mar-14
I hunted 76 a few years back it was good and every one talks about the wilderness, I went somewhere else and saw no hunters and had a good hunt!

Last year I called for my hunting buddy who drew 61, unfortunately we were only able to hunt 1 weekend! I have never seen so many bugling bulls in my life as we chased in two days!

Hold out for 61 if you can!

20-Mar-14
Anyone know how the black lake up ute creeks area looks after the fires last year?

25-Mar-14
I was thinking I would keep my 9 points which I accumulated over the years as a non resident putting in for 76. I was hoping that CPW would either allow banking or change the requirement that all points must be used on first choice hunts. I bounced back and forth and decided to use my 9 point this year on GMU 76. As a Colorado resident I now only needed 5 points for 76. My logic was the bird in hand is better than a bird in field. Besides I am not getting any younger and GMU 76 is not getting better over time. So I plan to be one of the lucky 136 archers come this fall in gmu 76 with an opportunity to kill a fair chase bull elk with a bow and arrow.

26-Mar-14
It will be a good hunt for anyone wanting to put a little leg work into it! Look at the fire map and hunt the fringes of the fire. Those are the places where you will see the most elk and the most grass. Otherwise stay high around timberline and nothing really has changed or will. Just where they will go after feeding all night. Bob.

26-Mar-14
Not to change the state or unit of this thread...

BUT

My 2nd choice late-date choice for Az. is a unit that just had a big burn 2-3 years ago and I almost want to draw it because of the big burn and winter range lush--vs drawing my 1st choice.

Those burns are like a magnet as they lush up with new growth.

Good luck, Robb

PS--Az. Emails haven't come out yet so I don't know 1st/2nd drawn.

• Sitka Gear