spotsorbetter 26-Mar-14
razorsharp 11-Apr-14
deerslayer 11-Apr-14
dgildy 12-Apr-14
IdyllwildArcher 12-Apr-14
dgildy 12-Apr-14
TD 12-Apr-14
08-Mar-14
Check out this amazing shot by a 13 year old.

It's on facebook so you'll probably have to log in there to see it.

A frontal shot and the elk walked exactly ZERO steps and dropped dead.

Simply AMAZING !!!

Cheers, Pete

08-Mar-14
It's photo-shopped. Everyone know frontal shots don't kill.

Pretty cool

08-Mar-14
Other than physically witnessing the shot, that is hands down one of the coolest harvest I've seen.

08-Mar-14
Now that's impressive!

08-Mar-14
That is awesome! I am taking my son and nephew this fall, so I showed this video to them to prove even the newbies can do it.

08-Mar-14
That was neat.

08-Mar-14
had to have been a heart shot, right?

08-Mar-14
That was awesome!!!

08-Mar-14
Wow!

08-Mar-14
I'm assuming that elk was hit in the heart or somewhere that sent it into immediate shock, which is why I'm assuming it didn't run.

08-Mar-14
Wow that was unreal!!

09-Mar-14
I'd love to hear what that young mans set up was. You wouldn't think a 13 year old could be pulling much in terms of weight. Buried that arrow to the nock.

09-Mar-14

09-Mar-14
That was AWESOME!!!!!!!

09-Mar-14
That was cool! I shot a bull there when I was younger. Found it a half mile of tracking later. Good for him. He's in for life.

09-Mar-14
Awesome.

09-Mar-14
Great shot and better recovery!

09-Mar-14
While it did differ from the typical low charging frontal hit animal dead in 40-50 yards, it resulted in the typical DEAD animal when shot there. It is as simple as you see. Frontal shots equal dead animals, and quickly too.

That boy wasn't shooting much weight and the arrow wasn't traveling as great speeds. Proof they don't have too. It just kind of makes one realize that all these threads about is my arrow heavy enough, or is my bow generating enough energy is misplaced. Get'em sharp, get 'em tuned, put them where they beloing and the rest is just fire side talk. And don't let someone else tell you where and at what angle to shoot your animals.

God Bless

09-Mar-14
Very cool!!!!!! Congrats to the young man and his father!

Mark

09-Mar-14
Very nice, looks like the femoral artery was cut in half.

09-Mar-14
congrats to the young bowhunter. very cool.

JDM, i recall the effectiveness of frontal shots being talked about 25-30 years ago. there was even an occasional article in a hunting magazine. the well-known bowhunters back then didn't achieve the notoriety and false credits many have today.

thanks for sharing c3.

09-Mar-14
That is a great video. But don't be fooled into thinking that is what happens with most frontal shots, because it isn't. And don't be fooled into thinking that frontal shots can and should be taken at longer distances and with lighter equipment, because such is not the case.

My take on this video is the arrow hit just above the heart, cutting the ascending aorta. When that happens, the brain, which is the bodies least tough organ, can not go without blood or oxygen for more than a few seconds. When it does, what happened in that video is most likely.

I have taken a lot of animals with frontal shots, but I personally have never had that happen to me. What has happened is that I have recovered every single animal and I have had a great blood trial to follow. Some were short, some were long, but all very easy to follow.

That is one of the greatest videos I have ever seen and congrats to the young boy! And like they said, thanks Pete for posting it. Only the video master could find something so great!

Have a great bow hunt. BB

09-Mar-14
Yes it is my brain fart, aorta was what I meant.

09-Mar-14
that was crazy

09-Mar-14
Awesome! I killed an elk with a frontal shot at 3 yards when I was 16. He ran 15 yards. Stopped to look at me at fell over. If done right frontal shots have great results. Congrats to the young hunter!

09-Mar-14
Wow that video is amazing. The arrow looks like it hit right at the base of the jugular groove, I would bet it cut the jugular, this would explain why all the blood is running out onto the ground and not into the chest. Obviously did some damage in the chest too. Impressive.

09-Mar-14
Cool to get such good video, and with a lighted nock. God for instructional video on taking frontal shots.

09-Mar-14
Many people treat elk like they have armor when facing you. As this young man shows the armor can be defeated BUT you MUST place a very good shot. Nice video.

09-Mar-14
Simply amazing!

09-Mar-14
Very cool for Clayton!! Outstanding video!!

+1 on BB's take on hitting the ascending aorta. I shot a big herd bull broadside at very close range once, and he did essentially the same thing. Even straightened up slightly before topplng over right there. That shot took out the descending aorta too.

09-Mar-14
At that angle, had he not hit the jugular, the end result would have been completely different.

Pretty poor example of the frontal shot IMO, kid got damn lucky it looks like to me.

Then again, maybe its just the camera angle, but that arrow looks like it comes in from the far right of the bull.

Amazing proof of arrow lethality none the less.

09-Mar-14
It was just you tradmt. Not sure what you watched but it is at it appears. The bull had his head up, the arrow hit on the bulls right side, went right through all the major blood pumping arteries, into the boiler room. Not a higher percentage dead kill shot in hunting. God Bless

09-Mar-14
Whoa!! Incredible video!!

I was also impressed by how much the elk dropped at the shot.....almost like a whitetail (although it didn't actually drop until impact).

09-Mar-14
You guys realize the "jugular" is a vein? I think you mean "Carotid"...since it is obviously arterial blood.

I'm with the Aorta on this one.

09-Mar-14
1 inch left or right and you have a wounded elk with a narrow sticking out of his neck. Those frontal shots have to be more down in the chest. The jugular is the only way you will recover an elk with a neck shot. Bad but lucky shot.

09-Mar-14
It's not in the jugular vein ... those simply don't bleed like that. Carotids do, but I suspect, based on the, well, anatomy, that that hit the vessels leaving the heart, i.e. the aorta.

09-Mar-14
Wrong again sethosu !

09-Mar-14
An inch to the left or right would have ended with the same result.....a dead bull. IMO

09-Mar-14
That was awesome!! BigDan did you give this kid instructions?!?

09-Mar-14
Very cool, the color quality on the video is unreal. Very cool all around.

09-Mar-14
Wow !!

09-Mar-14
Is there a way to see this video without logging into Facebook?

09-Mar-14
correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Jugular just a nick name for carotid

09-Mar-14
It buried to the dang nock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It may have or may not have hit the artery in the neck that is being thrown around like it was the only killing option, and it may have. Who cares. It isn't the dang point. What is the point is that an inch or so one direction or the other is irrelevant. The guaranteed fact that the arrow hitting anywhere close to the point of impact in the video couldn't miss the chest full of dang vitals!!!!!!!!! That is why they are such a deadly shot. If you penetrate, it dies. Since penetration isn't going to be a problem if you do your part, a DEAD animal is going to be the result. It isn't rocket science, and it isn't as guys who have never did it like to make it seem. Proof in the video.

Don't take my word, or anybody else for it. The next time you have an elk, moose, deer, etc... standing at 15 yards unsuspecting, try it yourself. Do your part and your packing. Don't and your not. No difference in this philosophy regardless of shot angle. God Bless

09-Mar-14
Great Video !

09-Mar-14
No the jugular is not a nickname for the carotid. The jugular is the major vein, that runs from the head and returns the blood to get oxygenated and then the carotid, is an artery that returns the oxygenated blood to the head/brain.

As pointed out above, a hit in the jugular vein would have resulted in a dead elk, but you would have never witnessed, in the video what you saw, as the bull would have been able to flee, out of camera range.

In 1996, while hunting elk in Wyoming, I splashed a bull into me at one of my favorite wallows. I took a frontal shot, but hit a couple inches off my aiming point, and hit the bull in the jugular. He left a well defined trail, that I could follow as fast as I could walk. He went straight up hill and I found him roughly 400 yards from where he was hit. In about 1998, while hunting elk in Colorado I did basically the same thing and found the bull 200 plus yards from where I hit him.

When you put a broad head through the heart of an elk, unless its right at the top of the heart and happens to cut the bundle of arteries leaving the heart, you will not see that bull go down on the spot, like this bull went down. Most heart shot elk, with that exception, will run hard for 60 to 100 yards before piling up. Many heart shot elk do an arc or circle death run! There are a few exceptions to that, but rarely will a heart shot critter go down with in sight, unless its a critter in open country.

But like I mentioned above, when you take the new blood away from the brain, its just a matter of seconds, before the animal loses its ability to function. That elk, lost that almost instantaneously.

For that same reason, its far better to shoot a broadside critter straight up the front leg, then it is behind the leg, like most bowhunter do. The bundle of arteries and the heart lay right there on most animals and thus you will have far better and much shorter blood trails.

And like said before, although a jugular vein hit will bleed profusely, it will bleed nothing like is witnessed in that video.

I have maintained for many years, that the frontal shot, if taken under the proper conditions, and within close range, just happens to be bowhuntings deadliest and high percentage shots.

And thanks once again Pete for posting this great, thought provoking video.

09-Mar-14
A lot of "if's" and what "if's" being thrown around here. The fact is the 13 year old kid made a great shot, not sure how some of you can say he was "lucky"?? Looks to me he hit exactly where he was aiming, so not a lucky shot, just a damn good one! Congrats kid.

DJ

09-Mar-14
I suggest the same thing would have happened. DEAD elk. God Bless

09-Mar-14
Funny thing is he killed it three years ago and the footage is just released now?

09-Mar-14
I guess everyone is calling that a frontal shot because the arrow hit above the front legs. However, if you go full screen you'll see that the kid had a terrible quartering to angle, not a straight on shot, and was just damn lucky. I'd bet he was aiming for the body and just happened to hit a main artery or vein in the neck to have that external bleedout that happened that quick. My guess at that severe angle would be the carotid, especially looking at the bright color of the blood. IMHO this is one of those circumstances where they say it's better to be lucky than good!

09-Mar-14
Not sure how anyone can say where the kid was shooting from. I went full screen and you can't see the where he was vs. the camera angle. I'm not even sure of the shot distance, so unless you guys know something that I don't... great shot! If he was attempting quartering to, horrible shot and got lucky, but all I see is the shot I would have taken.

DJ

09-Mar-14
Slow the film down and look at the angle the arrow came from the shooter who was way to the left in the frame from the animal and then watch the way the camera panned way to the left to where he was standing. It was definitely a shot he shouldn't be taking for where he actually hit. If he had let the bull keep walking he would have had a broadside shot in about ten more yards or if the bull had turned slightly to its left.

09-Mar-14
Topgun 30-06,

Given the result, I am not sure how you can state "It was definitely a shot he shouldn't be taking for where he actually hit.".

Let me get this straight, that elk took zero steps...and you are saying that where he actually hit wasn't an acceptable point of impact? Please explain.

BTW, do you bowhunt as well as gun hunt (given your handle, I am just curious)?

09-Mar-14
My friends brother that lives in Montana took a close up frontal shot from a kneeling position. Buried the arrow in an elk. No fetching showing. Missed the heart and arteries. No blood and they never found him. He said never again.

09-Mar-14
I'm just gonna give that kid credit for making a perfect frontal shot & for posting the absolute best archery elk kill video I've ever saw. Speculate & criticize all you want. Great shot kid!

10-Mar-14
I didn't look at the color of the blood before but I agree that is arterial blood so the carotid must have been cut. That would take away a lot of the blood to the brain immediately. May have gotten the aorta too though it does seem like the arrow angle would have placed the arrow to the right of the heart.

Hit the spot you are aiming and you will be fine. Miss it by 6 inches and you are probably in trouble, regardless of the shot angle.

10-Mar-14
Um, the CAMERA wasn't even frontal and the kid was plainly to the left of the camera - it was a definitive "quartering to" shot. Just because the arrow hit the front of the animal doesn't make it a "frontal shot".

Has anyone ever "spined" a deer??? You feel like hell because you know you missed your spot. So, because it dropped and died right there I shouldn't consider my tail darn lucky?

10-Mar-14
Congrats to the kid, it definatlly was a killing shot, I just don't know that I would have taken it without a full frontal for the sweet spot.

To add to the discussion, I was channel surfing while reading this and watched McMillan river adventures shoot a moose with a frontal at close range. The shot looked a bit low and to the left of the breast bone , it did travel but they did recover it.

I know, two different animals , but there was just a thread on that a couple days ago also.

10-Mar-14
I've shot a few with similar results. The most dramatic was one my buddy shot like that at 20 yds- reared up like Trigger, 2 steps and down.

No comments on the advantage to his quiet bow? Give the kid credit for not using a fast and light setup that doesnt have a loud slap.

10-Mar-14
More like a strong quartering too shot than a frontal, kid slipped it in perfectly though....obviously.

10-Mar-14
I am a fan of he frontal shot, its worked for me in the past

10-Mar-14
It's hard to argue good evidence. Looked like a well placed shot and contrary to some I would bet on purpose.

10-Mar-14
Looks more like the blind pig and the acorn to me. Bottom line is double lung is high percentage, this was luck.

10-Mar-14
Looks like almost all agree with me after I made my post Sir! Yes, the arrow hit a sweet spot by chance and the animal went down quickly, but it was not a good angle for a bow that strictly relies on bleeding an animal out. As stated by another member since I posted, it can result in completely internal bleeding and even though the animal will probably die it is very possible it may not be recovered. I don't know what my user name has to do with my post since it strictly refers to the rifle caliber I think is best for all around use, but yes, I have bow hunted since before the compound bow was the newfangled gizmo on the market and before you were probably born!

10-Mar-14
"And thats what shooting a Rage 2 blade will do for you!"

Yeah, doesn't get much more controversial than that. Rage, frontal shot, lighted nock and a kid that " hasn't put his time in"!

10-Mar-14
Incredible video! I have taken 2 frontal shots on whitetail deer one from the ground at 20 yards and dropped it on the spot and one from a treestand where the deer went 30 yards and the blood trail was incredible! Given your proficiency and a relaxed animal it has been in my experience the quickest kill shot there is.

10-Mar-14
'"Yeah, doesn't get much more controversial than that. Rage, frontal shot, lighted nock and a kid that hasn't put his time in"!'

OR

'The Four Bowhunting Horsemen of The Apocalypse' ;-)

I concur with Buglemaster; every shot and every situation is different.

10-Mar-14
incredible! Congratulations to the young man. I don't think the elk knew what happened. I've seen other video of broadside shot elk where they don't react to the hit. The bull may have reacted to the sound of the shot and not the impact.

10-Mar-14
"If he had let the bull walk 10 yards and taken a broadside shot, the bull would have never died as fast as he did. The tracking job might have been 1/2 mile or better."

***How many deer or elk have you shot and double lunged that went 1/2 mile or more? Contrary to what you stated, most double-lunged passthhroughs, if using a good, sharp broadhead of any type, will usually result in the animal going down for the count in under 150 yards 90%+ of the time.

10-Mar-14
Sure appears to have hit the carotid artery on entry and very likely upper heart and/or major blood vessels coming out of top of heart.

10-Mar-14
The bull stopped for a reason. My bet is after a standoff he would have left. The video does show, whether it was a purposeful shot or not, that a front shot even a marginal one is very lethal. Hard to deny that a straight on a little bit closer is a very lethal high percentage shot.

10-Mar-14
Pretty cool video. Never ceases to amaze me how fast bows can kill things.

10-Mar-14
Topgun 30-06,

There is always a healthy debate by people with differing experiences as to whether a frontal shot is effective or not. Perhaps you are debating whether this shot can be considered as a frontal shot...in that case, I would agree with you...there is certainly some degree of quartering to in this shot.

That doesn't diminish the fact that it worked. Nor does it rule out the fact that young man might have been aiming there.....and we certainly can't dispute the shot's effectiveness.

10-Mar-14
How big is the opening between bone structure that allows the arrow to reach the inside of the chest cavity on a frontal shot on an elk? How about a whitetail?

10-Mar-14
I would say, if you were straight in front of a bull, you have about a 5 inch circle. So if you aimed in the middle of that circle, you have about 2/12 inches windage wise. That is why one needs to keep his shots close, when shooting frontals.

In the video, the boy was actually to the left of straight on. When that happens, on needs to keep your shot to the side you are on, or to left, and that's exactly what he did. One needs also realize the bone joint between the leg and where it hooks onto the scapula, protrudes forward and so you need to be to it right when you are left of center and to its left when you are right of center.

Guys who say frontal kill shots are just lucky, are guys who don't understand the anatomy of the critters they hunt. I believe it to be the most deadly of all bowhunting shots, when you hit properly. Broadside shots are very deadly shots too, but since the vital area is much larger on a broadside shot, hunters tend to shoot at much greater distances and most hunters really don't understand where to shoot on broadside shots, thus increasing their chances of wounding and or losing an animal.

If one limits himself to close distances, on both of these shots, the results will be good. But if either shot is taken from longer distances, the chance of error increases dramatically.

I would think on a good sized whitetail, from straight on, your circle for certain kill would be around 3 inches. But taking frontals from a tree stand usually changes things big time, as the angle needed, for the arrow flight path, is most likely wrong.

10-Mar-14
He looked pretty close and the video cameras are deceptive about shooter angle. The kid might have only been 5 yards from the camera man.

DL your buddys friend likely hit between the rib cage and scapula.

10-Mar-14
Amazing! Awesome shot. Congratulations to the kid.

10-Mar-14

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

10-Mar-14
Of all the TV shows and videos I've ever watched I've never seen a guy take a frontal shot on an elk, other than one that Stan "give me a second" Potts did and then right away he asked the fans to forgive him for doing that on an elk! By the way, I can't stand the guy! Yes, this particular arrow hit a major blood vessel, did the job quickly, and that's why the video was posted! Miss that vessel by an inch or two on that shot and that video would have never been on the net. An arrow will immediatel take down an animal with a spine shot, but please don't tell me that any of you intentionally take it because the animal will go right down and not require a tracking job! From what I've seen in my 60 years out in the fields, a high percentage of hunters out there can't track an elephant across an open golf course and that's why even animals that have had decent, but marginal hits, are lost every year.

10-Mar-14
Legal bow kill on an elk by a 13 year old. Good job!

10-Mar-14
Great shot or luck; either way a great video.

Beendare, had the same observation I did; you can't hear the bow, and neither did the bull. He simply reacted to the slap of the arrow. Refreshing to see.

I would really like to know the young mans set up.

10-Mar-14

10-Mar-14
"only 20"

Lol!

10-Mar-14
I've been lucky, and I've been good. But not a person here can say for sure which this was. Congrats to the kid. Pretty amazing.

Once again folks get hung up on a spot on the OUTSIDE of the animal. Frontal, quartering on, quartering away even. You have to adjust your aiming point as to angle of the animal, just like Bigdan's pic above.

If it's quartering much and you aim for the center of the chest, yeah... you're gonna have a long and likely disappointing day. Even though you hit exactly where you were aiming, you were several inches off of where you SHOULD have hit. "I hit him perfect, buried to the nock, never recovered it" No. You didn't hit him perfectly. Hung up on aiming at a spot on the outside.

The aiming point is INSIDE the animal. You have to visualize that. You hit that point from ANY angle and they go down fast. The only real factor IMO is knowing where the big bones are and taking an angle that avoids them. Amazing how many folks really don't know.

WRT it not going anywhere, I've taken a few animals "frontal" and one factor is you normally have an entire arrow shaft and broadhead lengthways inside, Most of those don't "run", a slow stiff legged walk happens a good deal. Hard to run with one of those in you.

10-Mar-14
Dead Right There.

And more vitals were impacted than a single artery as has been suggested. That arrow penetrated more than 20 inches from all appearances. Easily deep enough to strike the heart, arteries above the heart or a lung...or a combination of these.

Also...the kid was within 3 feet of the camera and the elk was between 10 and 15 yards based on what I could see...but I don't know anything...only owned a production company back in the day and hold a bachelor's in broadcasting. Total newbie...

10-Mar-14
"Topgun any spine shot is actually a miss. The better hunter will take a frontal shot on an elk at close range on purpose. Bigdan's record of 16 for 16 is pretty impressive. Coming from a guy that has over 50 P&Y elk to his credit is even more impressive. How are you on your last 16 P&Y elk?"

From: Bigdan Date: 10-Mar-14 archery95 I have not killed 50 P&Y bulls only 20. I have killed 55 elk with my bow. And out of my 16 bulls killed with my frontal shot 11 of them made P&Y. The kids arrow entered the lower part of my target.

***Geez, archery95, after all these years I've hunted I would have never guessed that regarding your opening statement, LOL! I also have to laugh at your "better hunter" statement. You may also want to be a little more careful on things that you know not of which you speak, seeing as how BigDan had to come on and straighten out your stats that you screwed up pretty bad trying to make a point that wasn't needed in the first place! The kid's arrow definitely did not go straight on like we're talking about and that Dan uses quite successfully. It also certainly appeared to hit about where Dan stated and from what I could see when I stopped the film a couple times it appeared the arrow may have deflected to the left on deeper into the bull after hitting a major blood vessel near the surface, thus the heavy external bleedout. It would certainly be nice if some folks did not have selective reading to try and argue a point that wasn't even mentioned regarding this particular video in what was definitely not a straight on frontal shot! Also, viewed in slow motion the arc of the arrow and the way the camera panned well to the left to pick up the kid indicated to me that it wasn't what I would call a real close shot.

BigDan---Just curious, but with your obvious skill and numbers of elk shot, what would you consider the longest distance you would attempt, or maybe even better, what is the longest frontal shot you've taken and what broadhead do you use? Thanks and those are impressive stats to be proud of!

10-Mar-14
TD---Great post man!!!

10-Mar-14
Fantastic Shot!!!! Congrats!

10-Mar-14
Dead Right There.

And more vitals were impacted than a single artery as has been suggested. That arrow penetrated more than 20 inches from all appearances. Easily deep enough to strike the heart, arteries above the heart or a lung...or a combination of these.

Also...the kid was within 3 feet of the camera and the elk was between 10 and 15 yards based on what I could see...but I don't know anything...only owned a production company back in the day and hold a bachelor's in broadcasting. Total newbie...

10-Mar-14
It looks like he was hit by one of my "Blood Sloosh" arrows...I thought I was only one who knew???

10-Mar-14
Topgun 30-06,

The title of the thread uses the words "frontal shot". If you are going to be such a stickler for verbage, I would submit that he shot at the FRONT of the elk.

"Blood Sloosh" - I gotta remember that one....

10-Mar-14
double post....

10-Mar-14
I, for one, did not say that more vitals were not impacted because one can easily see the arrow is buried close to the fletching/nock in the chest cavity. What is being said is that the more external blood vessel that was hit more than likely did the fast external bleedout. I also can't see how you can say the kid was within 3' of the camera and the yardage was 10---15 the way the camera panned way to the left to pick him up and then refocused at what appeared to be a distance from him, but you're "total newbie". It really makes no difference though, as most all have agreed it wasn't what is normally called a straight on frontal shot, regardless of the distance.

10-Mar-14
I think the shot was through the arterie plus there was some spine shock that caused a stun effect...the elk was out on his feet until the blood ran out. The reason arteries kill faster is they drain blood from 2 directions...veins only one. Think of it like this. Your water line was cut between the tub and the sink...the whole house I'll keep a supply of water until the whole supply is depleted and everything will function as normal except the sink. Senerio 2: the water line is cut coming to the house...the supply will drain out faster plus the entire house will drain out too...nothing will get a glow.

10-Mar-14
Guys, I cut a carotid on my very first bull...totally screwed up the frontal shot due to a slipped nocking point.

Resulted in very good ARTERIAL blood trail that got progressively leaner...for 400 yards.

That bull was still alive when I got to him after 1 1/2 hours. Too weak to stand. Required a second arrow.

Anybody that thinks an elk is going to just fall over and die in seconds with a severed carotid is fooling himself. The bull in the video died from trauma to the great vessels above the heart. Read BBs posts and learn something, he is spot on.

10-Mar-14

10-Mar-14
The pan to the left would have been the same had he been 1 foot or a quater mile away... 90 degrees is 90 degrees. As to distance, judged by relative animal size and the amount of zoom used when the camera zoomed out coupled with how much the background zoomed during the same and adding the fact everything is in focus...foreground and background...

I can also tell you the camera was downhill from the shot and what is perceived as arc isn't as much as folks think but is a downward trajectory.

Any other questions?

Damn fine shot kid!

10-Mar-14
Thank you for that fine analysis from a pro 's perspective J.E.T! It's appreciated!

10-Mar-14
I propose we heed BB and BigDan's sage advice. When it comes time for me to plan my elk hunt, I know who I'll be talking to....

10-Mar-14
"The frontal shot at it's finest"

...and at it's worst???

10-Mar-14
Heck of a shot by the young fellow..congrats to him.

The shot was 23yds according to the shooter...and he was using a 70lb bow with a G5 montec BH.

10-Mar-14
The pan to the left would have been the same had he been 1 foot or a quater mile away... 90 degrees is 90 degrees. As to distance, judged by relative animal size and the amount of zoom used when the camera zoomed out coupled with how much the background zoomed during the same and adding the fact everything is in focus...foreground and background...

I can also tell you the camera was downhill from the shot and what is perceived as arc isn't as much as folks think but is a downward trajectory.

Any other questions?

Damn fine shot kid!

10-Mar-14
My point is, how can anyone say it was a bad shot and he was lucky if he hit where he was aiming???? I shot an elk in 2011 (frontal) arrow disappeared, he went maybe 50 yards. He ended up being 17 yards and I was shooting a 100 grain Rocky Mountain Titanium. 20 yards and under, I would take the shot every time!

I agree with BB that some guys just don't know the anatomy, and if you're not comfortable with the shot, you should wait for an angle that you feel comfortable making.

DJ

10-Mar-14
frontal shots are no different than any other, if you shoot at the wrong time, bad shot, too far, etc bad things happen. In the right situation, it is very deadly, and I have and will continue to use it just like any other good shot opportunity. thanks for the video, it was awesome.

10-Mar-14
"The reason arteries kill faster is they drain blood from 2 directions...veins only one. "

The reason arteries kill faster is because they are under high pressure (directly from the heart) while veins are low pressure (draining back to the heart), and in the case of the carotid you are robbing the brain of oxygen rich blood immediately.

10-Mar-14
I made a similar shop on a bull that went about 60 yards before he died, Made the same shot a few years later on another bull that turned and ran back the way he was called in from, I watched him go across a canyon and keep going at a walk for 1/2 mile or so never did find him- no blood other than one drop on a log. So it can either be a great shot or a poor one. The only difference between a great hunter and an unlucky one is seconds and inches.

11-Mar-14
Plenty of guys will have this video in the back of their minds this fall and think they can smoke 'em like the kid did.

Hopefully they post their results................

11-Mar-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
"Plenty of guys will have this video in the back of their minds this fall and think they can smoke 'em like the kid did."

I've had this shot in the back of mind since I was enlightened by BB and Bigdan several years ago. I've only used the shot twice. Both close range, both with spectacular results.

2012 elk

11-Mar-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
2009 antelope

11-Mar-14
Wow how cool was that Lewis

11-Mar-14
Wow how cool was that Lewis

11-Mar-14
Good job Midwest.

11-Mar-14
If there was ANYTHING wrong with this shot, it would be that I wasn't the guy making it! Great shot young man! Beautifully executed, results speak for themselves. Any of you nay-sayers should be ashamed of yourselves! Jealousy is a powerful and destructive emotion. If we cannot support our fellow hunters, it doesn't say much for the future of the sport! On a side note, I did see a similar shot on TV, Jim Burnworth the Bowtech Pro shot a bull that made only a couple mincing steps to the side, looking for a softer place to fall. Jim then hammered him again with a perfect broadside shot. Then he fell nose first. I'd love to make a shot like that!

11-Mar-14

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
There are many people who will never open their minds to new or different thinking, and in doing so place huge limits on different situations, be it in bowhunting or in other facets of life.

The frontal shot has been a very controversial topic, from the time I first started to posting on the Bowsite. In those days modern wisdom was totally against frontal shots of any kind, from any distance. And when I posted my feelings I got tarred and feathered many times.

I stated bowhunting in 1959 in Southwest Wyoming. In those days there was no internet, and our local library did not have one single book on bowhunting. I was the only person in the area where I grew up, that bow hunted, thus I had no one to ask the multitude of questions I had. Most of those got answered by the school of hard knocks! And there were plenty of those.

So being all of this was new, I learned quickly, that a big part of being successful in bowhunting was getting close the critter you intended to shoot. In those days, at least where I lived, there were no bowhunter education classes around and so I just learned by the mistakes and the success I had, as what was the best way to do things.

Since I had no one coaching me, I pretty much just tried to make the best decisions I could. And since there was no one around to tell me that taking a frontal shot was very risky and had a very low chance of success, I took the shot and watched many of the animals die within sight. I also noticed that on those shots, most of the time the blood trials were far superior to follow and most of them were shorter than my broadside hits. So as time past, the frontal shots became one of my very favorite shots, for what I thought were good reasons. I always found every single animal I hit that way, and most of the times in a shorter distance and like I said the blood trials were far easier to follow.

So I continue do to discover lots of stuff about bowhunting and then came along the internet and many other good sources of information about bowhunting and I immediately began to understand that many people that it was just terrible that I would even consider taking a frontal shot, or for that matter a close straight away shot at a critter. It seemed the only good shot was the broadside shot, or the quartering away shot.

And thus my many postings trying to teach people about the validity of the frontal shot. It just stood to reason with me, that of all the animals I had taken with a frontal (no no) shot, I found. But through the years I had lost a number of, what I thought were good hits that were broadside. It just didn't make any sense to me that all my frontal shots were lucky, and all those broadside shots were unlucky. There had to be a reason and so I have, through the years tried hard to educate bowhunters on the validity of the frontal shot. Of all the emails and PM I have received through the years I visited the Bowsite, I don't think I have had as many thank you's as I received from those guys who told me stories about taking, close in fontal shots, and the fast kills they got from them and thanking me for teaching them about it. I have yet to receive emails or PM saying I caused them to wound a critter.

If this video does not open your eyes, and make you search your mind, for why this bull died in the manner he did, then by all means, wait for the broadside shot. But if one can see its potential, then be very careful in the way you carry it out. Shoot as heavy as bow as you can, with as heavy as arrow or broad head as you can, and take the shot from only close range. And know where to hit! It is a smaller target than is given with a broadside shot, but it will always be in my mind the most deadly shot in bowhunting. Keep it close, learn where to aim and when you get your chance to fill your tag on a frontal shot, just know that if you do your job, your tag will be punched.

Its unlikely most of us will every witness what this video showed, but many of us will find our game within 50 yards and even if it goes beyond 200 yards, I don't worry like I do on a broadside hit, as the blood trails on frontal hits have always taken me to a dead animal.

But this is not a 50-60 yard shot, it should be done at very close range and if you do that and can hit where you know you have to be, your results will be like I and Big Dan have had. I really wished I could say the same thing about broadside shots, but I can't.

In 2008, on the same day, at the same waterhole, my son and I both filled our antelope tags with frontal shots. The real bad thing about them, was how hard it was to clean all the blood of the bucks for photos. We watched both go down from the blind.

This photo was taken from the window of my blind. The shot was about 16 yards and he might have made it that much farther. Those are a couple of the does that were with him that are tying to figure out what had happened.

11-Mar-14
I'm no Bigdan or BB but, I've been very blessed to have killed a lot of animals with compounds and trad bows. I have shot quite a few with the NO-No shots most label these frontal shots as. I have yet to not find one and can only remember not watching one fall within 40 yards. As BB said, the blood is immense, the results are undeniable. Whatever the reason, the carnage is obvious from the time the arrow hits Most low charge trying to keep their feet and are on the ground kicking DEAD in less time than it takes to read this sentence. I'm convinced it is so rapid and deadly a shot due to the massive loss of blood these shots cause so quickly.

Do your thing. But, know there is no other shot angle that will give you these type results every time, assuming you do your part, but these type shots. Good luck and God Bless

11-Mar-14
Does anybody have a link to the video for those of us that have not joined the world of social media and facebook?

11-Mar-14

11-Mar-14
These are the threads that keep me coming back to Bowsite. I have learned so much in a short timeframe. I killed my first elk with my first elk tag using this shot two years ago. I hit him within the rectangle Dan illustrated.

What a cool video. I have shown it to a half dozen people at work.

11-Mar-14
I wish I knew this shot opp existed back on some of my past hunts.

I've had a bunch of elk trot straight in, pause for a few seconds, and then whirl away...

I wont let that sub 25 yard opportunity slip away again.

11-Mar-14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrWYuh_s1RQ

Well..... I had to find out what all the fuss was. Anything that will take BB away from his dogs, photography and blackmailing folks in compromising positions must be worth a look see.

I have only taken one "no-no" shot but it was deadly. It was 17 yards from a blind at an antelope in Wyoming. The buck ran 43 yards before piling up. Just before I drew back BB whispered to me "right here" and pointed at his chest. His son Cody got it on video.

For me, I think I am personally programmed to wait for the broadside shot. Not so much because I think it is the best shot but because this is what I was brought up to beleive. Now, I would not hesitate to take a head-on shot if the range was about 22 yards or less and animal was standing still. I just hope I can remember to take the shot and not wait for a broadside shot. Kind of like teaching an old dog a new trick I suppose?

Great film footage of this young hunter and his success. Nice to see young people still getting it done and getting excited about the hunt. When I was younger and had hair, that is the way I remember looking.

11-Mar-14
If you don't mind, I would like to add a laugh for all of us, whether we agree or not on frontal shots, I think this should bring a smile to your face.

Several years ago Knothead joined myself and my son Cody on a Wyoming antelope hunt. His first morning hunting, he killed a nice buck with a frontal shot. We watched it go down as my son videoed the event. It would be nice if some one who knows videos could repost that video on this thread, as it shows a different reaction but in the end the same result as the boys video above.

But that is really not why I am making this post. The reason for this post is to bring a smile to your face.

Just over a month ago, while I was at a Lady Antebellum concert, I received a text from Knothead. In the text John asks me ask if I was going to be competing at the DECA state competition and if I was to come by his room and pick up a permission slip.

Well we were waiting for the concert to begin, and it was far too noisy to talk to my wife, so I decided to answer John's text. I knew he had sent it to my by mistake, as he is a teacher and so I thought he had just clicked on a wrong name in his contact list.

Here's what I wrote him. "Sorry John, I only compete against guys that can stay awake! Then I attached a very unflattering photo of him, sound asleep in an antelope blind the morning after he had taken his antelope. I took the photo purposely to be very unflattering and boy did I hit the nail on the head. His mouth was open, and he looked like I had fed him very well!

In about a minute, I started to get texts from some of his students. It was then I realized, not only had he clicked on my name, but on the names of all his class and that unflattering photo went out to all his students.

Just about that time I receive this text from John. "I don't think I like you as much anymore. What ever happened to the day when old guys didn't know how to send photos via phone?"

Then I got this one. Folks, please ignore texts. I am not sure what is going on!

As I sat there and laughed all night, my wife kept asking me what was so funny! I had no idea that was a group text, but nonetheless, I got a great laugh out of it.

John is a great guy and we had a great time hunting antelope. I hope someone can post his video on this thread. Its another clip that clearly shows how fatal a well executed frontal shot really is.

Have a laugh on John and have a great bow hunt too, BB

11-Mar-14
Frontal shots are just rear end shots in revearse...that puts it in a new light.

11-Mar-14
TBM Quote "Frontal shots are just rear end shots in revearse...that puts it in a new light."

Frontal shots are just broadside shots at ninety degrees.... even more light!

12-Mar-14
Is this the one you filmed BB that you were wanting to see? Not exactly the perfect frontal shot like Clayton did on that elk above, but still in the ball park of quartering toward.

)

The original video in this thread is still the most deadly shot I've ever watched. The arrow is definitely in the opening above the brisket in the center 4". The arrow and camera are only a couple feet apart. It's an amazingly deadly shot 100% of the time if you do your part.

I've missed out on a couple dozen opportunities at elk like this over the last 33 years due to believing it was a no-no shot. In every single case there was no opportunity if I'd waited to get them broadside. When you call them in, facing you up close like this, they always stop, spook and whirl out of there.

If you're not comfortable hitting a 4" circle at 10 - 20 yards, by all means pass it up, but as for me an my house we'll be bringing home the bacon if that opportunity ever presents its self again :)

Cheers, Pete

12-Mar-14
The proof is in the video!

Some people are hung up on what to call the shot, frontal or quartering. In my mind, he shot the front of the elk therefore it was a frontal shot. Nobody ever said it was directly straight on or that it has to be directly straight on to be called a frontal shot.

Also, as BigDan has pointed out more than once, the straight on frontal shot is not the only frontal shot. There's nothing wrong with a quartering frontal shot if you know where to shoot.

Some people think that the only hope for success on a frontal shot is to shoot the dead center grapefruit sized opening. Yet those same people have no problem shooting through the ribs on a broadside shot.

The thing is, if you can shoot through the ribs behind the shoulder you can also shoot through the ribs in front of the shoulder.

On a dead straight on shot you shoot for the opening, on a slight quartering shot (like BigDan's) you shoot through the ribs in front of the shoulder. Shooting through the ribs should not be that big of a deal.

12-Mar-14
Update on the OP video. I just read on another website that the kid hit the carotid artery like I mentioned and when they field dressed it he had also hit the heart, thus the massive immediate blood loss!

BB---That WAS a funny story!

12-Mar-14
So would you now agree that it was a good shot?

DJ

12-Mar-14

warthog's Link
See link for Front on shot testing on Water Buffalo

The Frontal shot has its place.

I grew up in the bush and also started bowhunting with no one to learn from, But I knew the animals and their anatomy. Close range the front on shot is extremely effective with the bow.

Iv done extensive "In the Field" testing over the years guiding, and found the front on shot to be extremely effective on big game, such and Buffalo.

The effective kill zone is bigger then most think, No rib to contact at all for most of the front on shots.

Iv killed 8 buffalo bulls with the front on shot, only had one got further then 100yards. Most died within 50m

12-Mar-14
Where's the like button!!! That was a very cool video!!!

12-Mar-14
I don't know. I guess it goes without saying that every angle can offer an opportunity for a fatal shot. I femoral artery hit aka "hamblaster" done right will kill 'em dead every time.

The angle and position of the bull in Bigdan's pic looks sweet no doubt. Especially at about 15 yards. But a little to left left is shoulder and to the right is nothing but neck. One thing I always see when I look at pics of the perfect frontal shot is if he is that close in about a second here I'm going to have a double lung complete pass through. The perfect shot.

But.... where I was raised anything but a broadside shot was called a Hail Mary shot. The reason isn't because it's an impossible shot. It's because nobody is perfect, there are things beyond our control, and you can kill elk with marginal hits but they aren't deer & you have to find them too. Hail Marys are great in football... but they don't always go as planned.

Maybe the question isn't can it be done because we know that's true but instead could something go wrong? I know what you'll say, something can go wrong with every shot... so maybe we are talking about acceptable margin of error. It sure is small compared to the "old fashioned" kill shot.

Let's remember not everyone who reads these threads can stay as calm as Bigdan when in spitting distance of a bull elk.

It sure is a terrible feeling when you see an arrow launched from a 70+ pound bow stop at 2 inches of penetration.

Everyone knows their ability to make a given shot. I'm sure Randy Ulmer would make that shot all day long. And of course with a Rage all you have to do is come close. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. Hunting is very much made up of personal decisions. I'm all about to each his own. Just a few points worth making I guess that's all.

13-Mar-14
Pete, thanks for posting that, but that was Doug from Wisconsin's antelope. As I recall Knotheads buck was shot a year later and he took that at Bubbles, where your son got his.

I think that video was posted here on the Bowsite if I recall. If anyone can find it, please post it. The buck runs hard for a pretty short distance, circles a time or two, and you can see from the blind, the spraying of blood, and then he falls over.

In time, everyone of us will end up making a bad shot, no matter how close the animals is, and not matter if its a frontal or a broadside hit. But from my experience, and what i have witnessed in the field, the frontal shot will kill more animals, with less loss, than will a broadside shot. But like I have stated many times, one needs to be close if he decides to take a frontal. And it would pay greatly if everyone learned the anatomy of the critters they hunt. I am surprised how little so many know about where things are, and what happens when you hit that certain something.

13-Mar-14
How can you guys say it's a better shot and then follow right up with the words... as long as you're close? hmmm

Gets right back to the minimal margin for error.

13-Mar-14
Sure the margin of error maybe be smaller but I think BB and others that say keep it close are in effect saying the margin of error on a front at 20 or less is no different than a 40+ broadside shot.

I would think if you are that concerned with margin of error you would also not take any shot past 35. I mean think about the what ifs. The animal could move, a breeze could drift your arrow, the margin of error is just so great, right?

At close range is just a qualifier, like someone saying ill take a 60 yard shot if the animal is relaxed and unaware of my presence. It's no different than saying I take the perfect broadside shot but only at less than 80 yards anything over that is not advised. Many are acknowledging there is a margin of error to all shots and that to keep that margin small a frontal should only be taken at a close range. Also someone that is going to screw up a frontal because they piss down their leg with a bull screaming at 15, is also very capable of screwing up a 15 yard broadside shot.

13-Mar-14
Mule Power, it may not be a better shot, but its a better kill shot, if one is close. Why is that so hard to understand? The vital area, in terms or square inches, is smaller, but when hit properly, will dispatch a critter in less time than will a double lung, and the blood trails, in most instances will be far better.

I dont hike around waiting for a frontal shot, but I don't pass them up if I am presented with a close shot. I might shoot a 30 or 35 yard shot at a bull elk that is broadside, but I would not take that shot if he was facing me. But if he walked another twenty yards towards me, then I know where to shoot, and that I could fill my tag.

There are far more animals hit and lost on quartering away and broadside shots, than all other hits put together. There are several reasons for this. By far more shots are taken at broadside or quartering away animals and so just that, in itself, would equate to losses. But contributing to those statistics is the fact, that since the vital area is larger, people feel they can take longer shots. Many people brag about killing their bull at 85 yards. Sure that can happen, but most of the time, most hunters, shooting at those far distances, will end up making multiple hits. before they get a kill shot.

For some reason people shoot farther at larger targets, than they do at smaller targets. A frontal shot offers a smaller target, thus one needs to keep it close.

And I personally think, that on any animal, one should be within 40 yards, no matter the size of the vitals.

To me the number one criteria, to judge the effectiveness of a shot, should be how fast it kills the critter, followed closely by the amount of blood it leaves on the ground, so one can follow the blood trail, to the downed animal. From my 50 plus years of bowhunting, a close frontal shot, by far, wins that contest!!!

13-Mar-14
Mule Power this statement is crux of the issue.

"One thing I always see when I look at pics of the perfect frontal shot is if he is that close in about a second here I'm going to have a double lung complete pass through. The perfect shot."

It couldn't be more untrue. They virtually never continue on past giving a broadside shot. Like the original video, they come in, stop and when they sort out what you are, they bolt. In the time it takes to draw your bow they are 40 yards out hauling hind quarter.

As BB pointed out, with this close frontal shot you then get the quickest kill in bow hunting.

Cheers, Pete

13-Mar-14
I've learned to avoid threads concerning frontal shots on elk, but I don't want MP to feel like he's on a deserted island. ;-)

Maybe MP's old school like me. For 25yrs, it was beat into my head that quartering away or broadside shots were the ONLY shot to take on an elk. Being an NBEF certified instructor back in the day only reinforced this belief. As mentioned in one of the above posts, when I saw Stan Potts take a frontal on an elk, I literally got sick to my stomach. Unethical and desperation shot instantly came to mind.

I'm learning that old dogs can learn new tricks. Bottom line is...I want to put my BH through the vitals without hitting bone. Through BB's unending patience in posting pics, and explaining in detail the frontal shot, I'm SLOWLY beginning to accept that the frontal shot, UNDER CERTAIN CONDIONS, can be a very deadly shot. Whether I'll ever take that shot, under those certain conditions, I can't say for sure. Not because I can't make the shot, but because long-held beliefs are hard to change. Actually, I've only been presented a frontal shot once in my long elk hunting career. Bull came head-on to 8 yds, so I held waiting for a BS shot, which he finally gave me.

There is one thing that bothers me. Whenever these threads come up, there are many that make statements like "I've never been elk hunting, but now I won't hesitate to take a frontal!". As someone mentioned earlier, be honest with yourself when the moment of truth arrives. If you can keep your composure at close range with a bull screaming in your face, and feel confident you can hit that small sweet spot, that's one thing. If you can't, then don't force a shot that has little room for error. That goes whether it's a 15yd frontal, or a 40yd broadside shot.

13-Mar-14
Looks like three things we can't talk about: Politics, religion and frontal shots. Like most things in life, everyone has varying opinions. Do what works best for you, the situation, and be true to your limitations.

If you see the video BB's son, Cody, filmed of my antelope hunt. Turn the volume up because you will hear Bill in background giving me advice on where to aim. I actually missed my aiming spot and hit more to the right in the shoulder. I think this was due to a combination of the buck moving and me missing my spot. The angle was such that it went through lungs and arrow penetrated opposite side. You can see when it runs after shot.

13-Mar-14
I would rather have a 10 yard frontal over a 30 yard broadside shot. All. Day. Long.

I was watching an elk hunting video yesterday. The hunter has a bull come in head on. The hunter is at full draw and the bull stops close....real close, I'm guessing less than 15 yards in the wide open. My mind is screaming, "Shoot!", but the hunter holds off. As expected, the bull finally gets a nose full and bolts. He stops at about 25 or 30 yards, quartering away and the hunter makes a hurried shot, hits a limb and the bull escapes unscathed.

IMO the shot he ended up taking was way more risky than the close frontal he passed up. Nothing wrong with passing up a shot you're not comfortable with but I bet about 90% of bowhunters would have done the exact same as this guy did....the frontal was a no-no even though the animal was calm, motionless, and close. But as soon as he was presented with the "supposedly" ideal quartering away shot, even though the animal was spooked and on edge, he just had to hurry and let one fly.

13-Mar-14
"As someone mentioned earlier, be honest with yourself when the moment of truth arrives. If you can keep your composure at close range with a bull screaming in your face, and feel confident you can hit that small sweet spot, that's one thing. If you can't, then don't force a shot that has little room for error. That goes whether it's a 15yd frontal, or a 40yd broadside shot."

Wyobull.. I'll echo this. I've killed my fair share of good whitetails back east, but elk hunting is a whole new ball game.

The last bull I shot (my 2nd) using a sliding single pin. Buddy, I'll tell you I was shaking like a dog sh*ttin peach seeds trying to get that pin in the right place to get a shot. Undoubtedly far more intense than what I've experienced deer hunting.

13-Mar-14
Sorry I couldn't get through all the posts. I suspect the young hunters arrow ruptured the elks carotid as well as the jugular on the same side of the trachea. The broad head did not likely hit the heart, rather just above the haeart rupturing multiple large vessels. The obvious external blood loss was due to the carotid/jugular rupture, but the extremely fast loss of consciousness was likely due to the combination of some many vesss ruptured at once.

That was likely as effective of an archery shot on a large animal that I will ever see.

13-Mar-14
Hitting the heart is possible, I would just have expected the elk to be more reactive. Could be though!

13-Mar-14
I will say this....I don't have any experience shooting animals with a frontal shot BUT if given the opportunity on a close shot I will take the shot (and on the ground). Considering I am mostly a whitetail hunter from a treestand the shot is not an option but if I am hunting elk on the ground I am taking the shot if offered.

Another thing to mention is that I will take BB's advice on pretty much anything other than his idea of a "shortcut."

Here is Knothead's buck:

)

22-Mar-14
That kid is very articulate too. Very impressive. I've never seen an elk pile up like that. Crazy.

26-Mar-14
You find the general location of the elk, you spot him before he spots you, you have time to setup, the wind is in your face, the caller 50 yards behind you executes a near perfect call, you see the elk approach from behind cover at a calm pace, you come to full draw, then have the elk walk out from behind cover directly in your direction, stop and stand erect at an ever so slight an angle on level ground with no obstructions at less than 20 yards. The elk lifts it's head exposing a target area the size of a softball. You are perfectly still. The elk sees you but does not know what to make of you. You hold on that spot of dark hair a few inches above the transition from light to dark in the center of his chest, you adjust your aim slightly to the left to compensate for the angle and release. The arrow slips quietly from the bow and into the intended target. You are still have not moved. The elk looks around and then falls over and you lower your bow and exhale. Perfect

26-Mar-14
Way to sum it up timbo. I hope no one missed the fact that even though this elk died in seconds, the young man had the presence of mind to nock another arrow and be ready for a second shot. How many videos have we seen where the hunter shot his elk, it runs off and stops within range and the hunter just stares at it with an empty bow. Not me brother.

11-Apr-14
Shortest blood trail ever.

11-Apr-14
Wow!!!!! That is nothing short of awesome! The kid held it together and put it where it needed to go. I have never seen something like that. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

12-Apr-14
I took my first archery whitetail with a frontal shot, stillhunting, at 13 yards. It was only shortly later that I "learned" that I was never supposed to do this. So I have always avoided telling people about what was perhaps my best pure hunting moment.

Heavy, 2317 arrow and 125 grain Thunderhead. The arrow buried up to the fletching. As others have mentioned, it was an easy blood trail to follow. It looked like every 10 yards, someone dumped a bucket of blood. It went 90 yards and was my proudest moment.

A question to ponder. Yes there is a lot of muscle in the neck area. However, I have always butchered my own animals and have noted that even in tough meat like the neck. It is much easier to "rip" the meat with a knife along the grain. Do you think that that fact may allow a bit better penetration given a slightly off impact than would a bad shot going perpendicular through the neck?

I would appreciate thoughts on this question.

12-Apr-14
You still get into lung pretty quick as they extend forward towards the neck. Look at your own anatomy: Your lungs come up above your clavicles. CT scans and xrays of the neck sometimes discover incidental tumors in the tops of the lungs. I know it's a totally different species, but it's the point. Look at elk/deer anatomy pictures. The lungs go really far forward.

For the most part, the neck meat that you're carving out is no where near where you want the arrow. If you're in the bigger neck meat muscles, there's a good chance that your arrow is going to end up outside the ribs as it penetrates back.

12-Apr-14
The reason I am asking is that on my deer, I put the arrow right in the pocket above the brisket right where the neck met the shoulder. There was a rib bone broken if I recall correctly.

On the video, it looks like the arrow hits the elk in more on the neck than the front of the chest, and has great penetration. Does the arrow just follow the grain of those muscles into the body cavity, or is it possible that it penetrated and followed the channel of the windpipe? Either way, it is a very effective shot.

12-Apr-14
I've heard it reported here the windpipe sucks in the arrow..... =D

Idy is spot on. IMO most bowhunters think the lungs are farther back in the chest then they really are. And back in the chest they get thinner and thinner in cross section. Yet I see folks actually aiming too far back to start with, many times thinking they double lunged it when it was a liver and a lung, or maybe even just a liver.

BB's "V" shot was a revelation to me from what I was taught in the magazines and such many years ago. You often hit much of the same goodies you do on the frontal and like a properly placed frontal.... they go down fast, many times in sight.

• Sitka Gear