weekender21 16-Mar-14
tcosmic 16-Mar-14
Mule Power 16-Mar-14
Nesser 16-Mar-14
Raghorn 16-Mar-14
jbone 24-Mar-14
Tracker 24-Mar-14
11-Mar-14
Hey guys, Going elk hunting for the 1st time in NM this Sept and just wanted your opinion on what you think the best broadhead is for elk. I shoot a Hoyt Carbon

11-Mar-14
What lb. bow and what weight arrow? My fisrt suggestion is a sharp fixed blade like a Slick Trick regular or Razor Trick.

11-Mar-14

MQ1's embedded Photo
MQ1's embedded Photo
I have had good luck with the Magnus Stingers 4 blade.

11-Mar-14
Thunderhead 125 or Spitfire 125 are my choices after 40 years of using others. They all kill, some leave more blood and kill faster but you're shooting into a dynamic environment and nothing is ever the same between two shots. If you have a good deer setup, it'll probably work on Elk. 60# plus, a decent arrow weight, and put it where it belongs. You'll be fine.

11-Mar-14
Lots and lots of heads that will kill elk.. The first thing is,, the one that shoots best out of your setup and you like.. I killed 2 with fixed heads (wasp sst 100) and one with a rocket sidewinder 100. The rest rocket 100 steelhead's.. This year it's going to be my rocket steelhead 100's.. Your can get 25 different head, from 25 different guys and no one will be wrong.

11-Mar-14
Sharp ones in the right place, not much else matters. But since you asked, I like the strength and penetrating qualites of VPA 3 blades.

11-Mar-14
Pick one that will put your arrow on the other side of the animal.....not as easy as it sounds.

11-Mar-14
A razor sharp, cut on contact!!! Nuf said

11-Mar-14
Try a woodsman, VPA, or a zwickey Eskimo.

11-Mar-14
Montec and striker have done well. Gonna try slick trick magnums this year. Or the grizz. Still thinking. Stay with fixed head for sure

11-Mar-14
Yep, a SHARP one!!!

My thunderheads did amazing damage last year and the bloodtrail looked like someone ran through with a 5 gallon bucket on blood.

Hit them in the right spot with a sharp head

11-Mar-14
Welcome to bowsite!

11-Mar-14
VPA Good Luck this fall

11-Mar-14
Ohhhhh geeeeez!

The annual ..........

Buddhism isn't bad unless you lean more toward Hinduism. Definitely wouldn't recommend Islam, though it's extremely popular worldwide (that 77 virgins thing is most likely a myth, though). If you're Christian, Methodist is a safe bet, but Baptist may be a little much. Catholicism is pretty strong and a LOT of people have good luck with it. Mormonism and Judaism both have their strengths and weaknesses, and each will get you where you want to go with a little effort.

The most important thing is to settle on one that suits your lifestyle, and BELIEVE.

11-Mar-14
LOL Welcome to Bowsite.

11-Mar-14
LMAO!!!!!

Magnus. 'nuf said.

hehehehehe

11-Mar-14
Jaquomo, actually all of the above mentioned can get you where you want to go. It just depends on where it is you want to go :)

I'll be using Viper Tricks this year. They fly like my field tips and are extremely sharp!

11-Mar-14
Jaqmo, is that 77 virgins or a 77year old virgin? Either way I'm in!

Op, good arrow weight and a sharp broadhead.. the majority will suggest a good COC, as will I. Elk are mortal, its just a matter of how far he runs after the shot.

11-Mar-14
I think it's 77, 77 year old virgins. Since there aren't very many who fit that category, there must be a way to "re-virginize" them every time some Achmed blows himself up to become a martyr.

Sort of like replacing the blades on a broadhead to shoot it again?

11-Mar-14
They don't tell those guys that the virgins HAVE TO STAY VIRGIN!!!

Don't forget FOC == "Forehead On Concrete" One good thump should do it.

12-Mar-14
I just hope they are virgin women

12-Mar-14
Well, if they didn't stay virgin how could they get passed on to the next guys?

12-Mar-14
Best BH for elk depends if you gonna take a frontal shot or not

12-Mar-14
It doesn't really matter what broadhead you use.

12-Mar-14
Lou, I think you get more penetration with Catholicism (no prophylactics to slow things down)

Although that depends...if we are talking about the "hamblaster"...perhaps more penetration in the posterior region in Muslim or Greek Orthodox.

But judging by your hip surgery thread...it looks like you are getting plenty of penetration with your current setup!

12-Mar-14
Fixed: VPA Mechanical: Rocket Steelhead

12-Mar-14
I strongly disagree Straight_arrow. There are way too many factors to toss out a generalized statement like that.

Who would try to harvest an elk w/ a mohawk broadhead shot from a round wheel bow at 40yds? I seriously think the arrow might bounce off an elk.

12-Mar-14
Anything will work the vast majority of the time(even an occasional mechanical). It just comes down to what head do you want if the shot is less than perfect. I tend to lean towards a COC head that is sharp and tough ie. vpa, Magnus, shuttle t-terminal t locks, plenty of others. I like how Magnus can cut coming out too but you need to be carful pulling them out of a target. I thought I ruined my last hunt before it started when I pulled my stinger out of the target cutting my left hand. Hospital was 4 hrs away. Luckily the head was sharp and it didn't go too deep. Thank god for a budy that was smart enough to pack a first aid kit, a little tape for a few days and good as new.

12-Mar-14
"Who would try to harvest an elk w/ a mohawk broadhead shot from a round wheel bow at 40yds? I seriously think the arrow might bounce off an elk."

I guess it's a mistake to assume that anyone has any common sense or really any knowledge of bowhunting at all...

12-Mar-14
Huge mistake. ASSUME- the mother of all f-ups.

I've seen a few guys tossing arrows at a 10yd bail that would make everyone think they were just playing w/ some old bows they found at a yard sale for $1. Little did I know they had drawn out and were practicing for their hunt. I guess on the bright side, at least they were practicing.

For some people printing a 10" group at 10yds is good enough. I like my groups to be at least 8" at that distance.

12-Mar-14
DirtNap Gear DRT's www.dirtnapgear.com

13-Mar-14
ambush

nice.....got some chew spit on my screen over that one!

Just hit where your aiming and know where to aim......but make sure you use a maximum 3 blade....minimum 30 degree angle 90 degrees horizontal of the tip...minimum 20 degree bevel with maximum 16 degree secondary bevel, single bevel....coc, with plenty of foc... over 100 grains, but not too much....these ones punch right through the shoulder......they're like fixing an ax to the front of train, but the other one's work too.

13-Mar-14
Puckett's Bloodtrailer is my go to. My backup is the Punchcutter. Hard to find but deadly heads.

13-Mar-14

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
These were the original Rage heads and they still probably account for more dead elk than all the others put together but the company spent all of their money on marketing and went under.

13-Mar-14
That head (mohawk) on a 500+gr arrow pushing 200fps will kill elk. But I'd only shoot that at a broadside, right behind the shoulder at 25 yds or less.. That's the only shot I'd take with that head.. No frontal, no quartering away.. So to me it's not a good head on elk, but if your only going to shoot broadside at 25 or less it will work.. But why would you limit yourself to that shot only..

Hey Mule,, I killed a deer with a punchcutter once... I'd say I was shooting a 540gr arrow at 220fps at that time. Tee

13-Mar-14
lol... So you're at least old enough to drink huh Tee?

13-Mar-14
Muzzy Trocar 125s - two last year with them .

13-Mar-14

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
Took a few but nothing real big. From 55# recurve to 60# & 70# Darton Compounds. Kills were from 30 through 35 yds (nothing farther). Aluminum Arrows (2117s & 2216s) & 125 gr 3 blade fixed head always. Lots of good heads out there. Good flight & Sharp & what you feel is good for you.

14-Mar-14
OK I'll give a serious answer: my 2 top picks are Slick Tricks and Magnus Buzzcuts.

If you prefer cut on contact the Buzzcuts fly just sweet. Both are responsible for the demise of their share of elk.

I can actually shoot either one from my bow right now and they will fly the same. You hear that saying "flies just like a field point" I swear the Magnus flies better than one.

Just make sure you have a good shot angle and know your range.

14-Mar-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
My top pick is a Slick Trick. They are simple and inexpensive. I've killed two elk and four deer with them. I hit the shoulder bone on the way in with my first elk. Here's a pic of the broad head.

Honestly though, I think any broad head would've worked.

I shot one buck with a rage head. It went 30 yards and tipped over. However, I don't shoot expandable heads for two reasons. One, because of spot'n stalk situations (they'll open if they get snagged on anything). Two, they're illegal in Idaho.

14-Mar-14
Joe, so you're saying Magnus makes a "self-tuning" head? That's friggin' amazing!! Sorta like a little drone on the tip of the arrow??!!!

;-)

14-Mar-14
Nope. It's like golf I guess, although I've never gone outdoors with a club of any kind, If you think it's going to hit the mark it will. Ok Lou.... I had a good day! lol

But I have my share of bad days with Muzzy heads I can tell you. I think lots of guys will agree that Slicks outshoot Muzzys. I'll admit I was surprised when a design like the Buzzcut flew as well as the design style of Slicks and Muzzys which are fairly close in design. I envisioned them planning but I was wrong. They're like laser guided heat seekers! lol

14-Mar-14
Joe, I have always thought the same thing. The Buzzcuts just look like they would plane. Also my Tricks that I have used for the last 3 years fly better than the Muzzys I used for the 8 years prior to that, as well as being stronger!

15-Mar-14
Yep... those blades like Buzzcuts and many other cut on contact blades with their amount of surface area look like they would plane out of anything but a perfectly tuned bow. No question the smaller vented blades of a Slick Trick look like they would be less inclined to plane. But the proof is in the pudding and I was literally shocked when I shot those Magnus heads.

15-Mar-14
The same one you would use for hippo.

15-Mar-14
Go ahead and send me some Buzzcuts then Joe and I'll give em a try:)

15-Mar-14
I shoot a Hoyt carbon matrix, I used the 100gr G5 Montec CS and it blew threw my elk and I never found the arrow. He ran like 50 yards and tipped over. I used an Easton ACC pro hunter arrow.

15-Mar-14
I'm a guy that when he starts using something that works well for me I don't change. That said I use a Bear Razor head for years. Then they quit making it. So then I went to the G-5 B52 The quit making it the next year. So I went to a head that was made in Utah First bull I shot with it It worked good. The next year I shot another bull with and it did the job. But when it went in it I had a nice 3 bladed cut but a only a bullet hold on the other side. All the blades fell out. The next year I went to the G-5 Striker and was happy with it But then they came out with the G-5 striker mag that is 1 1/2 inches wide and That the head I will shoot till they stop making it. when I shot for PSE & Bear. I got two free bows a year but I would find one I like and Shoot it for 6 or 7 years. And sell the new bows to pay for my hunting trips.

15-Mar-14
Shuttle t lock. Amazing accuracy and field point flight. Tougher than a slick trick

15-Mar-14
LOL mainbrdr... I was like you, I said I'm not spending money on those "plany" looking things. Then someone gave me a 3 pack. They sat around for a year then I decided to put them to the test. They're wicked.

U hear you Bigdan. I'm still shooting a Mathews Switchback. No need to sell it. And the only time I really switch heads is when they quit making the one I'm using. As a matter of fact sometimes when I hear they went out of production I'll go on eBay and buy up all the ones I can find to prolong making a change.

15-Mar-14
I bought a bunch of G-5 Striker mags from ebay so I mite have plenty left so I don have to change. My bows are 2008 x-force 6s. PSE is sending me a set of lighter limbs for one of them.

15-Mar-14
I agree with Dan, when you find a good one stick with it. I've been shooting the Rocky Mountain Titanium 100 grain for 12-15 years. They are no longer made, so anytime I see them I buy them up. I should have enough to last another 3-5 years, then I'll need to switch to something new.

DJ

15-Mar-14
What ever you do, DON'T USE A DEER, HOG, MOOSE, OR BEAR BROADHEAD!!! Sheesh.....

16-Mar-14
I might try and run a Simmons through one this fall.

16-Mar-14
I might try and run a Simmons through one this fall.

16-Mar-14
A very sharp one that flies great with your set-up and one that you're confident in. Dozens of options available that archers would swear are the "best".

16-Mar-14
Quqmo,did you say theres 77 virgins in unit 77? I ve been huntin the wrong area.

16-Mar-14
Tcosmic... try Laramie... there are 7,777 of them in only 77 bars in a 7 square block area! That's where Jaquomo gets his numbers. Lou you need to start a guide service man.

16-Mar-14
Lou that is some funny stuff...I can speak for two heads on elk..Thunderheads and Slick Trick mags. Both awesome. Slick Tricks have bailed me out on marginal hits a couple times so I feel indebted to them. I bet any tough, sharp head that fly's well is a good choice.

16-Mar-14
There are so many really good broad heads on the market today, choosing one is really a matter of your personal preferences. For elk, I would say a head that penetrates good is a must. Depending on the momentum of your arrow, a smaller diameter, very sharp head is an important consideration. Compared to deer, elk are very big animals, with bigger, thicker bones, so a tough, well built head would be an advantage. No mater what you hunt, consistent accuracy is important. Not what some celebrity hunter claims is accurate, but what shoots consistently accurate for you and your bow.

All that said, there are two companies who’s broad heads seem to get a lot of positive reviews. I have shot both of these heads, and had no problem getting them to fly very good.

“Magnus” Stingers (or the Buzzcut version), and “Slick Trick” Standards (or the Magnum version).

Both of these heads are widely available for reasonable prices, and should serve you well. There are at least a dozen other heads I could recommend.

24-Mar-14
Personally, I like the Simmons Land Sharks (165 grain) broadhead....never wounded an elk. All shots complete pass throughs (I am pulling about 76#).

As stated above, shoot what you like and what you believe in. Good luck!!!

JBone

24-Mar-14
I was a big Slick Trick user but switched to VPA two years ago. I like the way they fly and the ability to sharpen them myself.

• Sitka Gear