sharp69 24-Mar-14
Kevin Dill 25-Mar-14
IdyllwildArcher 25-Mar-14
Jaybird76 25-Mar-14
Outdoorsdude 26-Mar-14
abow4me 26-Mar-14
tracker 30-Mar-14
18-Mar-14
How many of you guys use little LED lanterns (Black Diamond, etc..) for backpack hunts? Not talking about superlight "bivy" where you drill holes in your toilet paper, but rather a spike camp a couple/few miles in?

When I seriously backpacked in the past we didn't bother, just used flashlights and fire light, or useed a Mini-Mag with exposed bulb. But the new little LED jobs look like they'd cast a nice glow for cooking, dressing, getting organized, etc.., and don't weigh much.

Thoughts, pro and con?

I'm getting my "second wind" in life, gearing back up.

18-Mar-14
I have only used a headlamp, Tikka or whatever has floated my fancy in recent times before the hunt. Usually, its back to camp, eat, then to bed! Seldom do a fire as in early CO elk season, the days are too long and the nights are too short! :)

>>>>-------->

18-Mar-14
Like Curve, can never enough sleep. LED headlamp.

One thing I've noted about virtually every lantern I've seen is that in general they copy the original gas lantern layout/design, so when hung there is a shadow directly below (which is basically where one wants the light in the first place).

I never even use a lantern when car camping; just headlamps.

18-Mar-14
LED headlamp here as well. Partner tried a mini lantern last year. In a 2 man tent it actually made it tougher as it shined in his eyes.

18-Mar-14
My wife bought a flashlight that pulls out in the middle to make a lantern bulb or you can use it as a regular flashlight. I love the thing. The lantern bulb is not overpowering.

We also have a small light that clips on the tent poll and shines downward. It has a remote. It works well also.

18-Mar-14
Might look at the small LED lights that clip in the top of the ground blinds. Works well and the batteries last a long time.

18-Mar-14
Take a serious look at the new Streamlight Siege lantern. It's super bright, can be hung from a tent and runs for a LONG time on one set of batteries.

18-Mar-14
Mi-bowman, I've got one of those sliding flashlight things too. Works great, beam strength is adjustable. Can't recall the name but I got mine at REI. Looks a little weird but it's small and runs off AAA batteries.

18-Mar-14
Ursus- That's the one. The head of the light just pops out about 1 inch and the light is directed into the lantern bulb instead of out in front of you.

18-Mar-14
I pack a Black Diamond Orbit and a LED headlamp. Pretty happy with that setup. That little Orbit puts out a surprising amount of light for its size.

18-Mar-14
I have a small Black Diamond LED lantern. I leave it at home on solo backpack hunts, but often take it if I'm packing in with a partner. It's nice having a little extra light for the chores you mentioned, in addition to not blinding your partner's eyes with your headlamp every time you look in his direction. It's only a small weight penalty to pay when 2 or 3 hunters will benefit from it.

18-Mar-14
Thanks, guys. Lots to consider here and I appreciate the input. Most of my backpacking will be solo.

18-Mar-14
While not an led, I have a primus micron lantern. It only weighs 4 oz and runs on fuel you are already packing for your stove. Lights up a camp nicely for late night mtn house or early am breakfasts. I havent used it a ton so I cant comment on durability but mine has the metal globe around the mantle so it should hold up.

18-Mar-14
You might consider the Snow Peak Mini Hozuki.

18-Mar-14
I just use a head lamp. If need be I can always clip it to the tent and let it shine down on the flood light setting.

18-Mar-14
Thanks - the Mini-Hozuki is really interesting and has pretty good reviews, but honestly, it's just about the gayest-looking thing I've ever seen.

Maybe if I paint it orange and cut out a Jack-O-Lantern design?

But it looks like a good compromise. Thanks for suggesting it.

18-Mar-14
Yep, headlamp guy here to, they are so light I carry a spare.

Dual purpose is what its all about when backpacking......

18-Mar-14

Teeton's Link
I just use my Remix in this link.

http://www.princetontec.com/remix

I can get 3 weeks and then some out of 3 AAA Energizer Lithium Batteries.. It's bright and lite and small.. Has 4 light setting.. There a video at the link also. I like the white lights, no red for me. Take a look Ed

18-Mar-14
Headlamp here as well. In addition to minimizing weight, I suffer from "If I Set It Down It's Gone" Syndrome.

Seems like the Black Diamond LED lanterns have suddenly gone on sale everywhere. Wondering if that's because they're crappy, not selling or both.

18-Mar-14
I only take my lantern if going with a buddy, in no way would it ever replace my headlamp. Kinda nice to have camp light without blinding each other with headlamps. I kinda like it for times when a camp fire isnt possible or feasible too.

18-Mar-14
I am in the headlamp only crowd as well. Its work good so far so don't plan on changing any time soon.

18-Mar-14
The Streamlight Siege is the best LED lantern that I've looked at. I'm extremely pleased with mine.

18-Mar-14
Used a Zebra Light headlamp last Season...just stuck it in the overhead pouch in the Fly Creek UL2. Single battery...seriously bright (200 lumens)...loved it!

18-Mar-14

Ursus a. Horribilis's embedded Photo
Ursus a. Horribilis's embedded Photo
Here's what I use. During a 3 day power outage it was invaluable.

18-Mar-14
i have 2 LED lanterns and one little gas unit but i would not take either one on a backpack hunt. we have learned to eat out on the trail, so when we get back to camp there is minor chores then into bed. i generally use a headlamp for most of this but have picked up a niteize led tent light this year. it has always been a hastle to find my headlamp in the middle of the night. now i should have a hanging light that ia easier to find.

19-Mar-14
Headlamp here as well, but sometimes I take the "campfire". It's a little gas single mantel snow peak lantern. Screws right on the same canister the stove uses. It's some 4 oz if I remember.

Handy in camp and in the evening when you don't want to mess with a campfire (or can't have one) everybody seems to sit around it to talk, kind of like a campfire.

Brought it in the tent a few times but have to be careful, it's hot and could damage the tent if it touched the material.

Have had it for several years, but as good as the led lanterns are now that may be the way to go, especially INSIDE the tent.

19-Mar-14
Better yet, hang it off the ear of that cow hat you prefer. Gals like earrings. You choose which ear to pierce, and we'll debate what it means.

19-Mar-14
We've been using the Black Diamond LED lantern for a couple years now, and it's a hit with us. More than happy for the weight vs. light it provides.

19-Mar-14
Thanks for the great input, guys. I'm considering the Gay Pumpkin or the Black Diamond or Clarus. I like having a little light glow when outside or in the vestibule, but for lengthier trips I'll go with the headlamp.

19-Mar-14
I found a 2-pack of cheapo LED lantern/lights at Home Depot a last year-$4 for the set. They aren't waterproof, run on a couple AAAs, made out of cheap plastic (very light), about 6" long, and have a bank of LEDs on one side-perfect for in the tent...

19-Mar-14
That hip must be feeling really good if you are looking for extra gear to carry! ;^) There are some pretty good ideas mentioned above though if a guy was interested in having the additional light.

19-Mar-14
Bowmad, you have no idea how good the hip is feeling. Friggin' miraculous. I could climb the hill with a light pack right now. 99% of the soreness is from the increasingly rigorous exercises my dominatrix is adding to the daily routine.

By summer I'll be ready to strap a Coleman lantern and a gallon of white gas on the pack.

:-)

20-Mar-14

OTT2's Link
Here is a link to an ultra-light LED lantern.

20-Mar-14
I use a Goal Zero Guide Plus 10 set up to charge all batteries for items like GPS, Camera and headlamp. Last year I added the LED wand they produce to my kit and was very pleased. Provides more than enough light for tent or camp.

20-Mar-14
Hey Jaq - glad to see that you're doing more than lurking over at your new hippy thingy thread! :)

>>>>-------->

22-Mar-14
I bought a mini-lantern for an elk hunt a few years ago. THought it would be nice to have a mini-lantern instead of a headlamp. After using it once, I put it back in the pack. Haven't used it since. Just more convenient to use the headlamp. When I am in the tent I hang it from the ceiling or put it on the floor of the tent and point it up. Just more versatile than a lantern and can save weight by taking one light instead of 2.

I use the Princeton tec remix or fuel. I actually have 3 Princeton tec headlamps I use.

22-Mar-14
Last year I used a Life Gear Glow Stick in the backcountry along with a Princeton headlamp. The glow stik was perfect for basic tent duties and super lightweight. It was a stocking stuffer I got one Christmas and I thought, I'll never use this thing... Turned out to be a great addition.

24-Mar-14
Is the Glow Stick bright enough in light wand mode to do tasks like read a map or other in tent activities?

25-Mar-14
I've tried many different small lanterns. The best I've ever used is the Snow Peak Mini-Hozuki Lantern. It's also one of the more expensive in its class at $40+. I've stopped looking for anything better.

My headlamp is a PT Remix and with this combo I'm good for 2 weeks in the backcountry.

25-Mar-14
I have 2 different lanterns and don't think they're worth the weight outside of truck-side camping.

I just use headlights.

25-Mar-14

Jaybird76's Link
I used this idea last year and really liked the result. Basically it's a Fenix E01 flashlight and an empty 5 hour energy bottle.

26-Mar-14
Two years ago, I started using one of those solar powered yard decorator lamps, stuck in the ground beside my tent. Now no matter which way I come back to camp in the dark it's convenient to find/approach. No batteries or fuel to mess with and it's on all night.

26-Mar-14
Sharp69, Yes it is enough light. It also has bright flashlight mode if needed.

30-Mar-14
Saw this mini combo lantern in the store the other day but didn't buy it. Don't know anyone who has used it but it looks like it might be a cheap one to try.

http://www.coleman.com/product/micro-quad-led-mini-lantern/2000006666?contextCategory=MiniLantern#.Uzjke69OXIU

• Sitka Gear