Ridge Ghost 20-Mar-14
Ermine 20-Mar-14
BUGLELK 20-Mar-14
boschman158 21-Mar-14
SwiftShot 21-Mar-14
Flatbow 22-Mar-14
Call'em N 23-Mar-14
18-Mar-14
I am looking for a lightweight spotting scope to use on backpack hunts. I am looking to spend between $500 and $750. What do you guys with experience suggest?

18-Mar-14
No experience YET. I am the same point and have settled on the Vortex Razor 11-33X50. Should have it in few weeks.

18-Mar-14
In that price range I would recommend a Vortex Razor 11-33x50. I picked one up this year and really like it. It is small and light, and has great quality glass. Retail is right around $700.

18-Mar-14
I'm looking for one as well, and have been recommended the Vortex Razor 65mm HD. Everyone I have talked to said it was a large step up from the 50mm, and a nice compromise with the 80mm. I have no experience with any of them.

18-Mar-14
I have the Nikon ED50 (13-30) eyepiece. I like it for backpacking but for scouting I'm going to buy the Vortex Razor 65mm HD hopefully soon.

18-Mar-14
I own the Nikon ed 50 also, I dont think you can get much lighter for packing. I am planning on adding a razor hd 65mm though but that one is slightly out of your price range. Kinda depends on what you need it for also. The ed 50 works great for letting you size up a buck or bull to tell you if you want a closer look but if I am judging a 9" billy from a 9.5" or counting rings on a sheep at a good distance I would go with some more magnification.

18-Mar-14
Question, Would a "doubler" on a 10X binos be a good compromise? I have a Swarrow 20X-60 65mm angled model. It seems heavy awkward to pack. Have be reluctant to tote the thing very far. Anyone use the Doubler?

Thanks everyone LaGriz

18-Mar-14
I'm gonna spring for the small vortex....it looks just right for back pack hunts

18-Mar-14
Griz, doublers don't work very well in my mind. I always end up lugging my 80mm Swaro everywhere i go. Heavy but worth it in my mind.

18-Mar-14
Doublers for binos are a waste of money in my experience. I tried one on a pair of 10x50 Zeiss a few years ago and even though I had them on a tripod the image quality was poor at best. I could actually see better and more detail without the doubler.

19-Mar-14
I purchased the Vortex 11-33 x 50 in the off season. I haven't used it in the field yet so I can't give you a review.

I scored on a sale from Elknuts website. Talk to Paul and he will set you up. Very competitive pricing.

19-Mar-14

BUGLELK's embedded Photo
BUGLELK's embedded Photo

BUGLELK's Link
Another vote for the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50mm spotter.

Elk101.com, a Bowsite sponsor, also carries a full line of Vortex optics. Bowsite users can use code 'BOWSITE10' to save 10% on orders, and we'll ship it for free as well.

Many thanks, Corey Jacobsen Elk101.com/Extreme Elk Magazine

19-Mar-14
Definitely some consistency in this thread...thanks for the info fellas.

19-Mar-14
Hey Corey, I looked at your website but I didnt see the razor 16-48x65 on there, do you guys not carry that particular model?

20-Mar-14
So do you guys recommend the angled or straight? What are the benefits/negatives of each?

20-Mar-14
Straight- Easier to find your target quickly

Angled- more comfortable on your neck, you can use a shorter tripod, easier for digiscoping

It's all personal preference and hunting style. If you just need to glass for a few minutes to scan a small area or size up an animal, straight is probably better. If you are picking apart a hillside for an extended session, angled will be the way to go.

I have the Vortex 50mm in straight but both have their benefits.

20-Mar-14
I like angled. I agree with the above. Vortex!

20-Mar-14

BUGLELK's Link
Bryan,

We don't have the 65mm Razor HD in stock, but we can get them.

I'm not sure why that photo is embedded in my post.....it's not even my picture or one I've seen before... :-)

Many thanks, Corey

21-Mar-14
I carry a leupold gold ring compact spotter around my neck instead of binos... only have one really good eye anyways lol its probably a bit lower quality then the razor hd but lighter and only around $500 or less

21-Mar-14
The vortex are good but i found the leapold kenia to be better glass. The FOV was better with the kenai the vortex has a better focus knob.

22-Mar-14
if you can step a level do not overlook KOWA....

23-Mar-14
Another vote for the 11-33x50. I prefere angled due to neck strain. The only down fall I have found is that I have not found a Digiscope adapter for my Cannon yet.

• Sitka Gear