Mike Schlegel 20-Mar-14
WV Mountaineer 20-Mar-14
19-Mar-14

BULELK1's Link
Interesting Read----

See my link above.

Good luck, Robb

19-Mar-14
Ok that settles it.....wolves must go:-)

This makes me think of my guides Jack and Lloyd Hopper and how many wolf hides they've handled over the years. Kinda scary

19-Mar-14
Coyotes and foxes are carriers as well.

19-Mar-14
Yes kill all wolves ! Before its to late !

19-Mar-14

NoWiser's embedded Photo
NoWiser's embedded Photo
Tapeworm cyst that I cut open that I found in the lungs of the Minnesota moose that I shot in 2011. The lungs had quite a few of these cysts.

From my research each of those grains is the head of a future tapeworm which grows after being ingested by a wolf. The tapeworm grows in the wolf's intestines and produces eggs which are spread in the wolf feces. If people come in contact with the eggs they can develop a dangerous cyst in their liver. The DNR warned us multiple times in the class before the hunt to not feed our dogs raw moose meat for this very reason.

19-Mar-14
do the tapeworms kill the dogs or wolves if not treated

19-Mar-14
It sounds like the wolf is the primary host (the animal which has the adult tape worm in its intestines) Most tape worm "primary hosts" are not killed, but can become week if the worms deplete them of nutrients.

Eggs pooped out from the wolf get in the grass then are injested by grass feeders. Once in the secondary host, the eggs turn into larvae. It is the in the larval stage that can get into the blood stream and form cysts, anywhere. Which can be lethal.

19-Mar-14
Tapeworm in one form or another is in every animal in Alaska ... Bears many times are very infected. I see Black Bears on POW Island in fall walking along trailing long tape worms and see tape worms on the banks and in the brush (in fall) often. Also Blacktail, Mink, Martin, Otter & Beaver all have tapeworm and are handled by trappers & hunters ... I have never heard of any people ever getting infected.

19-Mar-14
I killed a moose in Western Montana, in 1991, (before wolf reintro) that was infected with the same thing. They Bio figured that the moose took a bite of bear, or coyote poop.

19-Mar-14
I asked about this to a vet that is a parasitologists. The only way you are going to get this is by eating wolf crap or not wash your hands after handling wolf guts...anyone here planning on doing that?

Parisites have different cycles, the pastoral cycle for this tapeworm is found in sheep and dogs and it is much worse to humans than the sylvan cycle which is in wild canids and cervids. I guess by the logic of the vet that wrote it, we should probably get rid of all sheep, dogs, elk, deer, and moose as well.

More scare tactics.

19-Mar-14
"The only way you are going to get this is by eating wolf crap..."

Dear wolves,

eat chit and die.

19-Mar-14
Human's get tapeworms from raw freshwater fish. The chance of humans getting them from wolves is extremely remote otherwise we would have them from our own dogs.

20-Mar-14
Idlly X 2.

Killinstuff X 2.

The irony in all this, according to our Canadian and preservationist friends is, we should be honored to have the potential to share this little gift from the wolves. We should feel good knowing this because it really is a little price to pay for such a great benefit of the perfect harmony the wolf brings back to the ecoystem. Personally, I am so happy that we have been given this opportunity by our much wiser, much more caring anti-hunter and Neo-hippy biologist, getting paid by the Sierra Club's and Anti-hunter greenie group, that I simply can't stand it.

Perk up fellas, it is all in your outlook. Anybody that doesn't see the good in this is just a anti-wolf, evil, greedy human hunter. If you don't believe me just ask one of them. God Bless

20-Mar-14
I've hunted with wolves my whole life. Never worried about the tapeworms and I'd be bummed out big time if they disappeared. I'd probably shoot a lot more deer, but it just wouldn't be the same falling asleep at night without listening to their howling. I know I feel very lucky to get to hunt alongside them.

I don't live out west so I can't speak for the people out there, but I just don't understand the hatred for them here in Minnesota. We've got, by far, the most dense population of anyplace in the lower 48 and there are still plenty of deer to shoot. You just need to work a little harder to find one.

20-Mar-14
Cougars and bobcats are big carriers of tapeworm as well.

20-Mar-14
My dogs get tapeworms about every year (hunting dogs). If they get raw meat from a deer, rabbit, etc. odds are that they are going to pick up a tape worm. I routinely worm them twice a year. I clean my kennels daily, of course, and part of the routine is looking at the stools...that sounds a bit gross, but if a dog has tape worms they'll often show up in the stools (small segments break off that move around). Also, a bunch of loose stools are an indication that something else could be going on with the dogs. I would assume that all coyotes, fox, wolves, bobcats, etc. have tapeworms. I really can't say as I've noticed any difference in my dogs' health when they have tapeworms...It's not like they lose weight, look sickly, etc., but I do stay on top of things..

20-Mar-14
Guys, this disease was documented in Utah long before the wolf introduction. See the following: "Again, we don’t have much problem with hydatid disease in this country currently but there is potential for it to become more prevalent. It was believed to have been introduced in the early 1900s with infected livestock. Interestingly, the infection initially established itself in a domestic dog/domestic pig cycle (not sheep) in the east (8) and by the 1920s was in Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Arkansas. By the 1970s, it was fairly prevalent in the sheep-raising areas of the west (Utah, Arizona, California, and New Mexico)(4) and there is a cervid (elk, moose, deer) cycle in wildlife in Canada, Alaska, and Minnesota (6). Recently in Montana and Idaho, approximately 60% of gray wolves sampled had adult tapeworms in their intestine and cysts were found in organs of elk, mule deer, and a mountain goat (5).

Let’s focus on Utah for a moment. Echinococcus granuosus was believed to have been introduced into the state in 1938 in sheep dogs from Australia (3). Sanpete County in central Utah is the area where most of the sheep-raising went on (and still does). In the 1970s Echinococcus granulosus was endemic in sheep and dogs in central Utah. Endemic means that the disease is constantly present in a certain area. About 25-30% of the dogs were infected and 13% of sheep carcasses examined had cysts (1,7). In addition, during this time period, there were several human cases. The close contact between sheep-herders and their families and the sheep dogs and sheep kept the cycle going. Also, the sheep were range sheep with common grazing allotments and contact with other dogs and sheep. Control measures such as proper disposal of dead sheep, hand-washing, regular deworming of the dogs and educating the families were implemented and greatly decreased the incidence of infection in dogs, sheep and people (1,3,7). However, there are occasional cases still in Utah so either control measures were not 100% effective and/or there is a wildlife reservoir of infection (such as coyotes). There have been 3 cases in humans reported to the Utah Department of Health since the 1970s and multiple liver and lung cysts were found in a slaughtered sheep in 2008."

20-Mar-14
Most prey animals carry them. Most who consume them carry them in turn. I was just being a wise cracker. God Bless

• Sitka Gear