NorthT 21-Mar-14
nippip 22-Mar-14
APauls 22-Mar-14
Mule Power 22-Mar-14
nippip 22-Mar-14
nippip 22-Mar-14
RutNut 22-Mar-14
19-Mar-14
Recommendation needed on used hunting bow for newbie in Montana.

I am on a tight wife budget for my first bow and have been looking for a good used bow but I since I have not been in the market before I really don’t know the older models and how they compare to current models. So, I am looking for recommendations on a used bow that is not too old (like last 5 or so years) for hunting elk. I have a 29” DL and am thinking somewhere around 60lb DW would be about right for me. I will not be in a tree stand for my hunts but instead will be putting on the miles hiking in the mountains.

Not having much time with modern bows I am tending toward bows that are a little more forgiving as in they had a good valley, a medium draw cycle with a good back wall and not a super short brace height. It would be a bonus if the bow were on the lighter side but not my first requirement.

I have shot a G5 Quest Rogue and a Mission Ballistic and thought they felt good but I did not like the limited valley on the Prime Alloy when it tried to yank my arm off .

Thanks for your input.

TW Montana

19-Mar-14
A Ross Cardiac! Not exceptionally fast but really nice shooting. Can probably be found for less money than most others that shoot as nice.

19-Mar-14
I have a Z7 Mathews 29" 60-70lb draw I am considering selling. Thinking $500.00. It has a new winners choice string.

20-Mar-14
Whats the bow only budget?

You can score a z7 on ebay pretty cheap, and to be honest the z7 will hang w/ most of the top bows out today, which is why I haven't upgraded... b/c I don't see any bows right now as a significant "upgrade".

I suggest you cry once rather than regretting not dropping the extra cash on something you wanted.

z7: 4lbs vs the lightest alum riser 3.8lbs (i think). Speed 330ish... plenty 7" brace height

Or a earlier model hoyt w/ a long axle to axle. But it will be well over 4lbs.

20-Mar-14
Buy the Z7!!! Tell her you'll be good forever instead of buying one hating it and buying another.

20-Mar-14
That would've been a good deal had it not been a hoyt! hahahaha... Here's a prime example of a quality bow at a very affordable price. They are out there, just figure out what you want and search.

20-Mar-14
I'd look for a nice used Mathews Drenalin or Hoyt Alphamax or Maxxis.

21-Mar-14
I agree. I bought my second drenalin for 325 set up a couple of months ago. Sold my first one regretted ever since then. Use it for back up bow now. Also look for a switchback, alphamax is a great bow along with maxxis or crx. All great bows. Craigslist eBay or see if you have a local Facebook gun/bow trader page. We have one here in ms and guys are looking to trade just about on anything. Good luck.

21-Mar-14
Skip the training wheel stage and look on the leather wall for a used traditional bow. jd

21-Mar-14
I've got a Bowtech Liberty. Brand new string and cables. 29", 70lb, but very smooth draw. No components on it. PM me if interested.

21-Mar-14
My three favorite used bows, all classic shooters: Mathews Switchback XT, Hoyt Alphamax, and Bowtech Allegiance. Of the three, the Mathews SB is the one that might be the best option because of it's unbeatable smoothness.

21-Mar-14
Nippip

Your best option is something with a medium cam and a longer axle to axle length. That will be the better "forgivness" environment. I would suggest you shoot as many brands and designs as you can.

Are you a LH or RH shooter?

21-Mar-14
I have a Mathews Drenalin that I am considering selling. If you decide you like the looks/specs if this bow, send me a PM. It really has been a great shooting bow. It has been used, but never abused. Currently set at 29" draw and 70 pounds.

21-Mar-14
He said elk HUNTING.. not 3 D so go with the Hoyt.

21-Mar-14
I did not like the way the z7 shot or drew. One shot on it and it was obvious to me that Hoyt and Bowtech were a better bow.

Look at what you see for sale the most and then question why so many are being sold if they're that new.

I shoot a Bowtech Invasion. If you can find one for sale, you will not be sorry. It's a fantastic shooting bow.

How much are you willing to spend? This is important information for the advice that you're asking for.

21-Mar-14
I just sold my Hoyt CRX 32 for $250. It took less than an hour to sell!

If you go with a Hoyt, I'd recommend the two piece quiver like archery95 has on his. They are solid.

Anyway, I don't have much experience with a wide variety of bows but as a new archer, I would strongly encourage you to download the latest copy of "The Nuts&Bolts of Archery". There is a ton of good info on it...especially for a new archer. You don't want rely on an archery shop 100% of the time.

21-Mar-14
I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions. When folks say a "longer" axle to axle length are we talking above 30" or even higher?

21-Mar-14
At least 33-35 would be longer IMO. And would stay with 7 in brace ht.

22-Mar-14
To supply more info and to update my thoughts based on all your great feedback. I would like to stay under the $500 mark for a ready to hunt setup. Based on your feedback I am thinking of looking for a bow that is around a 33 ATA length, 7" brace, 60# max DW, 29" DL but adjustable within an inch without extra costs, single cam, med cam cycle, nice back wall but forgiving if I creep a little and under 2 lbs :) Joking about the 2 lbs but will be spot/stalk in mountains and like to keep on the lighter side. As I write up my wants it kind of sounds like I am asking for the moon so please let me know if there are some specs I should not be so picky about. Thanks again for all your input.

22-Mar-14
X2 wild1 Matthews Switchback XT is a wicked bow the you can prob get cheaper these days.

22-Mar-14
If you can find a used Switchback buy it. Lots of people including some Mathews reps claim it's the best bow they ever built. Mine won't be for sale any time soon.

22-Mar-14
To supply more info and to update my thoughts based on all your great feedback. I would like to stay under the $500 mark for a ready to hunt setup. Based on your feedback I am thinking of looking for a bow that is around a 33 ATA length, 7" brace, 60# max DW, 29" DL but adjustable within an inch without extra costs, single cam, med cam cycle, nice back wall but forgiving if I creep a little and under 2 lbs :) Joking about the 2 lbs but will be spot/stalk in mountains and like to keep on the lighter side. As I write up my wants it kind of sounds like I am asking for the moon so please let me know if there are some specs I should not be so picky about. Thanks again for all your input.

22-Mar-14
I am a RH'er by the way.

22-Mar-14
Go look in the classifieds on Archery Talk. You will find what you are looking for. Just make sure the seller has good feedback. If you need any help or have any questions on a bow you are looking at, PM me. I will help you out if I can.

• Sitka Gear