You realize that is a draw unit, right?

19-Mar-14
Yes. Should have that covered

20-Mar-14
Sounds like hiring an outfitter or a drop camp is your best bet

20-Mar-14
Got all my own stuff for that too. just need some ideas for some good spots

20-Mar-14
According to most outfitters, there are elk in most of the drainages. That has also been my experience after hunting the unit twice. Depends if you want a easy or hard hunt and the effort your put forth.

I preferred to hike in and bivy hunt but there are drainages that one can truck or tent camp off the roads. Just have to do some research and some boots on the ground.

20-Mar-14
Yeah, you just have to get off the roads- though I did see a great bull on the road at night when we were driving out of there.

Plenty of day hiking spots...and pack in spots. The elk are distributed across that whole unit pretty good.The unit has horse and walk in trails, Quad trail, motorcycle trails- whatever you want.

20-Mar-14
Was looking south of the rio grande reservoir uit creek may be

20-Mar-14
PM Sent

20-Mar-14
The Rio Grande Reservior is the better access, the only part that didn't get burned too bad, and where most of the hunting occurred last year. We found out that the area accessed above Silverton was very good. Access north of Pagosa Springs, from Williams Lake was burned last fall, as was the area north of Big Meadows Reservior/Shaw Lake area. Lots of video on youtube showing the fast moving fires as it crossed the roads. Plan on lots of pressure close to the road at Rio Grande. The better hunting is three to four miles in. With the very low snow fall we've had this year, we are preparing for a very dry hot summer, which will effect the elk.

20-Mar-14
thank you i will look in to that

26-Mar-14
Hunted 80,81 the entire archery season last year. A fellow whose family guided a large group of muzzle loaders into 76 stopped by our camp one night and reported to a friend I was hunting with that the muzzle loaders did not see or have a shot a single elk. It also rained and snowed during muzzle loading season which kept this crew in camp. Another friend who has hunted 76 with the rifle going back to the early 70s and drew a first rifle tag last year ended up eating his tag. He reported "it was the worst Elk hunting he has ever seen in 76".

27-Mar-14
PM sent

• Sitka Gear