BULELK1 27-Mar-14
PAstringking 27-Mar-14
Blakes 27-Mar-14
DJ 27-Mar-14
boschman158 27-Mar-14
ROUGHCOUNTRY 28-Mar-14
ROUGHCOUNTRY 28-Mar-14
23-Mar-14
When is the typical time elk start to shed antlers in Wyoming ?

Any truth to the big ones shed first ?

23-Mar-14
A little early right now ... another month and it should be worth it.

Went last weekend ... got 6 mulie sheds, but they were all last year's ... nothing new out there.

23-Mar-14

PAstringking's embedded Photo
PAstringking's embedded Photo
Now....

24-Mar-14
Stringking... bare ground so that's not this year is it?

Heck of a nice bull there man!

A buddy saw a bull yesterday while out snowmobiling. Antlers intact. I find the middle of next month is when you can expect them all, or 99% to have dropped horns.

24-Mar-14
Was just asking as I went Saturday and where I wanted to go the snow was still over three feet deep.

Went to another canyon and all bulls seen still have hardware.

I asked if the big guys lose first as there was a 7 x6 and a couple 6x6 in the group I took pictures of.

24-Mar-14
Let's see some pics tjsna!

24-Mar-14
The pic above was taken this past weekend

25-Mar-14
That is a great find PA. Did you find them laying like that? Guessing WYO? Thanks for the pic. Can't wait to get out here in MT.

25-Mar-14
Buyse, I have a 35mm film camera. I will have to get film developed first and then post pics.

6x6 where avg. 7x6 was BIG !! Really wide and had no problem scratching his rear.

25-Mar-14

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
390 set from Eastern Montana this past weekend......

25-Mar-14
Buyse... my outfitter buddy found them while trailing a lion track. They were not laying like that but he staged the photo to show me the size of bull im killing this year ;-)

25-Mar-14
That is an awesome bull PA. Luck with getting on him next year!

Dang ROUGHCOUNTRY! that is a nice set too. Did you see anymore packing? I am getting out east soon as well. Leave some lay would ya?

25-Mar-14
Thought it was unlawful to collect sheds in wyoming before may 1st.

27-Mar-14
+1

May 1st

Good luck, Robb

27-Mar-14
I believe May 1st opening is only in the elk range near Jackson. Not the whole state...but I could be wrong

27-Mar-14
May 1 west of the continental divide. As soon as they drop east of the divide. Just try to stay away from the elk so they are left undisturbed. This is a difficult time of year for them! There are a few areas that are designated elk refuge/winter range that are off limits on the east side until April 1.

27-Mar-14
"Just try to stay away from the elk so they are left undisturbed. This is a difficult time of year for them!"

I enjoy finding sheds as much as the next guy but I have to admit I cringe a bit when reading the shed threads in March, especially during a snow year like we've been having and with more in the forecast. We're likely to see some losses this year. I agree: be patient and give 'em plenty of room.

27-Mar-14
Ditto what DJ and blakes have said ... give them a bit of a break with this snow.... RMEF put an article up about it on their FB page today as well

28-Mar-14

The majority of the bulls are still holding their antlers. If you bump them, you may not find their antlers plus as stated above, it stresses the elk. I didn't find the 390 set above that I posted, an acquaintence did. However, I did some scouting in low lying, night time feeding areas and found one fresh antler.

28-Mar-14

The majority of the bulls are still holding their antlers. If you bump them, you may not find their antlers plus as stated above, it stresses the elk. I didn't find the 390 set above that I posted, an acquaintence did. However, I did some scouting in low lying, night time feeding areas and found one fresh antler.

• Sitka Gear