Sitka Gear
Well, do I put in for another PP for Co.
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Stick 23-Mar-14
Deacon Dave 23-Mar-14
oldgoat 23-Mar-14
LKH 23-Mar-14
Frank Sanders 24-Mar-14
bowjack 24-Mar-14
Jaquomo_feral 24-Mar-14
Fulldraw1972 24-Mar-14
MathewsMan 24-Mar-14
Stick 24-Mar-14
Milo 24-Mar-14
nowheels 01-Apr-14
6x6 bull 01-Apr-14
BigRed 01-Apr-14
Stick 01-Apr-14
Milo 02-Apr-14
Bluff Bucks 02-Apr-14
Stick 03-Apr-14
MathewsMan 03-Apr-14
23-Mar-14
I have 11 preference points and have found a pretty good OTC unit. I have friends that like this unit and we have had good luck there..I don't know anyone to hunt with in GMU 76 and have made arrangements to hunt the OTC unit this year. So do I keep putting in for points or just let these expire. OH yeah, I am 64 years old this year so I think drawing 61 will never happen.

Mike

23-Mar-14
Apply for a PP and hunt this year with your friends in the OTC. Next year treat yourself with a guided hunt. You may want to look at other units. I am 67 with 16 points. I hope to use them in the future. I plan to go down swinging. I would hate to one day be without a hunt and wishing I had continued to apply.

23-Mar-14
There is talk of point banking coming back and there is talk that this could alleviate some of the point creep. Who knows what will happen, but if you know your going to come out, it doesn't cost you anything to go for the point.

23-Mar-14
Dave, you old man. I won't be 67 till December. Just checked my papers and I've got 15 points.

With a goat tag and caribou here in AK followed by a cow elk hunt in WY mixed in with building a house in MT I'm getting another point this year.

Next year will be my try at the draw if I survive the goat hunt.

I'm like that youngster Mike in that no one I know kept up with the tag chase.

24-Mar-14
I feel like a moron asking this since I apply for every frikkin state in the union it seems, but what is "Point Banking"? I have points in all the western states, w Colorado being the lowest at 7 to 17 in AZ, with most states from 12-14. I got mad about the "Point Creep" years ago and didn't apply for awhile. Dumb move on my part. Keep getting points, Stick, you never know!!

24-Mar-14
I have 18 points and putting in for another this year. Maybe if and when I can draw I'll feel more like going.

24-Mar-14
Guys, there are some great limited units that can be drawn with the points you all have without waiting for the 1-2-201-10 game. Don't get sucked into chasing those units unless you ar only a point way. The elk population in that DAU is way down from the "glory years", only 1/3 to 1/4 of what it was in 2005. I hunted Unit 2 this past year with 18 as a resident.

Point banking is something they tried a few years ago as an experiment. Essentially, you were docked however many points it took to draw a unit, plus one. So if you had 16 and applied for a 7 point unit, they'd take out 8 and leave you with 8.

They're considering doing it again, but the guys who were on the cusp for some of the lower point units got bumped. In a state like CO, there is no perfect system, and herd dynamics change all the time. At least we have the OTC option as a fall-back, and can draw some good units with only a point or two with a bit of research.

24-Mar-14
I would get a point and look for 76 in the near future. With the burn last year that unit should be good for awhile. Would you shoot a monster? One never knows Would you see some really nice bulls? I would bet so

24-Mar-14
I agree with Lou's comments, however just another PP only for me and dad again due to September Caribou plans. I live about an hour from 2/201 so we will hope to draw in 2015.

24-Mar-14
Thanks for all comments guys. Guess I better go ahead, since the deadline is next Monday.

24-Mar-14
I gave up on 61 last year and burned my 14 points elsewhere and I was only 46 years old at the time. Buy a point and work on an exit strategy that does not involve unit 61.

01-Apr-14
Just put in for #7, so it looks like I've got a while to decide!

01-Apr-14
Unless CO changes their system you will never draw one of the premier units if you aren't in the max pool right now to draw that unit, if you are a non-resident. You didn't say if you are drawing from the resident pool or non-resident pool. If you pull up the number of tag holders that put in for one of the coveted units and add all of the people that have the same number of points or more than you and add them together now divide that by the number of tags you get how many years it will take you plus a few more. For me it was simple math. With 6 points and the number with more points than me applying for unit 61 at 3000 divide that by the 75 tags and you get 40 years. At 57 I don't think I will be able to drive much less hunt at 97. Thanks for the dream CO but I just gave up this year!!!!

01-Apr-14
it was a very happy day to use my 15 pts last year...and I for sure jacked up the point total in the unit I hunted. It was fun but I'm not interested in doing it again.

For 15 years I hunted OTC and missed out on drawing a lot of really good small point units I could have hunted. That changes this year....I'm for sure gonna draw...and I used all my points last year. I'm loving this new no point situation and I'm still getting in draw units with zero.

01-Apr-14
I'm giving up on 61 as well. Currently have 14pts and I'm putting in for 76. Just need to decide if I'm going solo or using an outfitter.

01-Apr-14
Well, I went ahead and put in for another PP. That should make 12. Now what to do? I will be hunting a pretty good OTC unit this year and with some good friends. So I will be content this year and wonder what the future years will bring for a non-resident trying to get into one of the high demand units like 61, especially with point creep and my age. I think like many of the rest of you, sometime in the near future I will burn my points on a lesser unit and be happy.

02-Apr-14
Assuming nothing changes and I were sitting at 12 points today, I would expect that it would take 30 points before I draw unit 61 archery as a non-resident. Is ANYTHING worth 3 decades?

02-Apr-14
I was sitting with 11 also this year,decided to put in for 76.Hope to draw and give a good report on 76.

03-Apr-14
Great, I hope you get drawn. you can do some recon for me. I might put in for it in the next year or so.

03-Apr-14
I passed up unit 61 rifle 10 years ago with my FIL. Hope it's worth it now with enough points to draw 2, but hunting Caribou Sept 16-20, so just a PP for me and dad. 2015 we will cash out.

• Sitka Gear